To Owe A Favor

Touch of Fear
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A smile spread across Hyejin's lips as she watched Ara take a step out of the flat. “Unnie's finally going to school again. Yay!” she happily announced, grabbing her sister's hand and pulling the older girl with her. Ara weakly smiled. Although she still hadn't recovered from the loss, she knew it was time to go forward again. She'd already spent three days in her room. The younger girl thanked the heavens for Ara being almost normal again. It was good to see her older sister with more life in the latter's eyes again. 

 

Hyejin had been really strong the past two days, but it wasn’t just her inner-strength that helped her stand up and go forward; it was a very special person. Kai. The male had been there for her all the time, comforted her and mostly, had been there for her. She knew she wouldn’t have been able to be strong for her sister without his help.

 

Little did she know that she was falling in love with him again. And this time, she realized, it was different, and something told her that even Ara would agree this time.

 

-

 

Ara took a deep breath as she entered the classroom. The ordinary scent of chalk and stuffiness welcomed her, and the girl felt a bit weird when she saw her classmates. It was as if nothing changed. Well, for them indeed nothing changed, but for Ara a lot changed. However, she was ready to accept the change now. The many hours of staying in her room alone, of thinking, of reminiscing, had made her realize a few things. One thing in particular; she was vulnerable. It'd been a shock to her. The past four years she had been living whilst thinking she was strong. So strong that nothing could harm her … but she realized that her determination and rationality couldn’t save her when her heart was aching.

 

She could be hurt, after all.

 

As Ara went to her seat, her gaze fell upon a certain male, and she could feel a weird feeling in the pit of her stomach. He had witnessed her during her weakest moment; he had seen her tears; he had heard her cries. The girl felt uncomfortable knowing that, but at the same time there was something else: a feeling she couldn’t exactly define; it was flustering and tensing. Gulping down the feeling, she approached the male, who had immediately stood up and extended his arms, as though he was preparing to catch her in case she fainted.

 

Ara frowned upon seeing that. Only because she'd once shown him a vulnerable side, didn’t mean he should treat her like a porcelain doll. However, she couldn’t deny the twitching of her lips as a gust of warmth rushed through her seeing him worried.

 

“Are you … better?” Sehun asked gently as he gazed at the girl, worry evident in his brown orbs.

 

Ara nodded and tried to give him a smile, but ended up just looking at him. “Yeah,” she replied before taking her seat.

 

Sehun couldn’t avert his worried gaze, and for the whole day he watched her every step because he was just afraid something could happen. Maybe he was being paranoid, but the sour feeling of worry didn’t want to leave him, not when he hadn't seen the girl in three days. During that time, he'd been constantly worrying about her well-being, and yet he hadn't had the time to visit her (because of several meetings his father sent him to).

 

 

The next day was similar, but he could already ease up a bit, as the girl behaved very much like her usual self. Slowly, she was finding back into her life – occasionally Sehun would catch her staring emptily at nowhere in particular, and he'd know that she was thinking about her mother – and he was relieved to see that.

 

Ara could feel it: the slow rhythm that swept her body. She was back in her life, in that stressful and dynamic circle she called life. No rest; she had no time for that. But after the third day in her life, she realized that the stress was doing its job to hold her captive in reality. She couldn’t just abandon everything; mostly, she couldn’t abandon Hyejin. No matter what, Ara needed to continue with work and studies for a better future for her and her family. Even if the latter only consisted of Hyejin now. Along with the usual stress, came the arrangements for the custody for Hyejin, as she was underage. Contacting the father hadn't been possible and there were no other relatives, so Ara was now officially Hyejin's legal guardian. There hadn't been an official funeral because of the expenses that Ara could barely afford, so they just bought a place in the funeral house.  

 

Proceeding with life was hard, really hard. Pushing her to her limit, but Ara knew she needed to proceed with her life. Her state of grief was over (she'd occasionally allow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter