One

My Revolving (Ex-)Boyfriend


One
My Revolving (Ex-)Boyfriend


It took nearly two years of courtship and romancing for Kris to finally introduce me to his parents.

Two years. And in that one fleeting moment, I realized everything was finally about to change. The roses, the late-night movie dates, kissing in the rain, waking up in his apartment, in his bed, in his arms–everything was just a prelude to this moment, the moment I had been waiting for since essentially the first time we met.

Our two-year anniversary had arrived, and Kris was finally going to propose.

I had already planned my answer long in advance. The tears would come naturally, of course, and I would likely bounce up and down on my heels squealing "yes" over and over again until my throat went dry. After all, what other kind of answer could you give a guy like that? He was everything a girl could possibly want in a husband: tall, blond, handsome as the Devil, and rich to boot.

My answer would definitely be yes.

To my delight, for the special occasion, Kris invited me on a date to an amusement park out on the island—the same one we had celebrated our very first date at. I naturally linked arms with my soon-to-be fiancé as we waded through the sea of parkgoers, easily navigating the crowd thanks to Kris's remarkable stature. I really loved having him at my side—and the way he pulled me into the line for a rickety wooden coaster, wrapped his arms around me from behind, and whispered in my ear as casually as ever, "You know I love you, right?"

The day we spent together was magical, but what I was really looking forward to was the sunset. Common sense dictated that he would propose after nightfall. It was just so much more romantic.

We were at the summit of the Ferris wheel when the sun began its descent toward the horizon. Suddenly, Kris grew quiet as he stared out at the sea with a look of contemplation spread across his face. Was he nervous? I wondered. He hadn't even touched the giant stick of pink cotton candy I had treated him to.

The stars weren't yet fully visible in the sky, but I had a rising suspicion that the time had come. His silence could only mean one thing: the proposal was coming a little earlier than I had anticipated. I patiently watched his face, waiting for him to pop the question as the wheel did a second revolution and our cage reached the peak again.

But he said nothing—nothing until we got off the ride.

"Well," he chimed, glancing at his wristwatch, "I guess it's time to go."

He showed me an unreadable—perhaps nervous—smile as he slipped his fingers through mine and led me to the exit. I couldn't help but wonder: why the rush? The park wouldn't close for a few more hours, and he hadn't even proposed yet.

Just as we passed the park gates, a burst of color lit up the sky. I glanced up to see fireworks blossoming in the air. Suddenly, it all made sense: the nervousness on the Ferris wheel, leaving in such a hurry. He had planned to propose during the fireworks show.

We were halfway down the boardwalk when he stopped and unlinked his hand from mine, slipping it into his pants pocket. My heart pounded furiously in my chest as I watched him fumble around in the spacious pouch as if searching for something with his fingertips.

"Hanbyul," he began, and my ears immediately perked up as the sound of his voice poured like velvet over them.

"Yes, Kris?" I singsonged as casually as I could manage, trying not to hint that I suspected exactly what was going to happen next.

This is it, I told myself and held my breath. The setting couldn't have been more perfect: the fireworks blooming in the setting sky, the Ferris wheel slowly spinning in the background, the waves crashing over the rocks below the pier. I peered up at him wishful eyes, silently urging him to continue.

"I think," he mumbled, his gaze abruptly dropping to the ground, "I think I need space."

 

Author's Note
Blah Blah Blah


So... I just got this urge to write a fic about a bunch of breakups with Kris. xD It's probably pretty obvious which song inspired this.

I'm sure a lot of people are kicking me because "OMG ANOTHER KRIS FIC WTF?" I did consider giving the role to someone else, but... Kris was the only one who felt right. ;_; If seeing another Kris fic under my name pains you, unsub button is up there. ↖ (But I would prefer if you stayed, of course!)

I'm going to try something different with this fic. I'm not going to write out full chapters—like, ever. In fact, this chapter is (hopefully) longer than most of them will be. I want this to be really simple and straightforward. I don't know if you guys will enjoy it as much, but...

We'll see? lol

I already have chapters 2 and 3 written up. Not sure when I'll post them. I guess it depends on reader response, comments, etc. :) By the way, thanks for subscribing! We have almost 200 already! You guys are... too faithful. ♡