Vibrato

Tales of Love from the Joseon Dynasty

chapter twelve; 
                                 kisaeng

 

 

You swiftly moved your fingers along the strings of your Gayagum. A high E in an eighth of a second and a sharp C after that. Precision was everything. A wrong note could return you into the streets and send you fending for yourself with a grumbling stomach and tattered clothes. Life wasn’t easy and skill would be the only salvation for the people of your class.

 

Joseon’s caste system was very strict. People like you who were born from a slave would die and rot as one. No one could get out but anyone could get in. You’ve seen nobles being sold as slaves, stripped off their wealth and status.

 

“I don’t know how a girl like you became a kisaeng.”

A deep voice came from behind you, causing your right ring finger to hit pluck the wrong string. You heard him sigh as you had let go of your gayagum.

 

You were a kisaeng, a well educated slave. Your hair was perfectly styled into the fashion and your clothes were made out of silk and other expensive materials. Joseon’s men fantasize about your kind and the women of your class envied you, wishing that they had been picked to be one when they had the chance. Kisaengs were picked at an early age. Your seniors had judged your body limb to limb. The proportions of your body should be perfect; your figure as attractive as a willow’s and your spine should bear a regal posture. You could have been the perfect kisaeng but there were some problems...

 

“You can’t sing nor dance. You only have the talent for playing the gayagum and writing poems.”

The voice continued to complain.

 

You turned around to meet a man with large eyes and ears, Chanyeol. You grew up with this man. He had been playing for your house for every special event you and your numerous sisters had attended. He’s not a kisaeng, of course. He’s one of Joseon’s greatest musicians, the favourite child of the clan who invented your beloved instrument. His third generation grandfather invented the gayagum. Most people who hadn’t known this fact believe that it was the Great King Jade that brought it into Joseon. Well, it was just a rumor created by his family to rise from the caste ranking. They were originally of the middle class but due to this ingenuity, the family rose up to become nobles.

 

“So what?”

You had grew tired of hearing his complaints.

 

“You don’t bring much patrons to this house. You must keep up with the others.”

His tone turned serious. He’s right. You have to keep up. You had only been a full pledged kisaeng a few weeks before and you were left far behind those who entered the kisaeng house with you. They were already having lots of patrons who gave them gifts of jewelry and expensive clothing. As for you, you have Chanyeol and a few scholars studying at Sunkyungkwan with him.

 

You didn’t handle makeup well so even though you were one of the prettiest, you look plain amidst all the women who had properly placed color in their cheeks and rouge on their lips. Your sisters said that putting makeup on was just like painting on paper, it was easy but it was never true for you.

 

The greatest asset you have were your hands. They were thin and each finger had just the right length. Your sisters had been praising your them for so long; not only were they pretty to look at, they play and write well as well. Your writing was almost as exquisite as the pieces you play on your instrument. Your handwriting was well practiced, every line, every represents your beauty and every verse you wrote conveyed deep emotions even though you hadn’t even experienced them.

 

“And if I don’t bring more patrons, they may kick me out.”

You reminded yourself as you tried to forget what your life before getting into the house.

 

The day you were brought into the kisaeng house, the others were hesitant to take you in. They saw you, a child wearing tattered clothes that probably don’t fit her, your hair was thinning and sweaty probably due to lack of nutrition but your eyes sparkled in determination of finding a new home. You don’t want to be a kisaeng, you never did, but there were some events in your life that you cannot avoid.

 

Your father was a merchant and you lived the early days of your life in luxury. It was not as luxurious as your lifestyle now but it was enough for you to have slaves of your own and wear pretty clothing. You were able to eat at least three full course meals in a day too. You were living a happy and content life but like all beautiful tales, you had your own share of bumpy roads. The taxes on merchants rose too high and your father couldn’t afford to pay them. Little by little, your household layed off the servants and eventually they had no choice but to sell you to another man as a slave.

 

The man treated you badly and had constantly beaten you up even you did nothing to displease him and obeyed all his orders. He was a drunkard, a man with yellow teeth crooked in all forms of angles. He was a friend of your father, a merchant, unfortunately he had the disgusting habit of making girls with pretty faces suffer and you didn’t know why. He had ironed the face of the woman that worked with you and you had personally handed him the burning metal that severely damage a part of her beautiful face. You had no choice but to give him the burning metal, you were too afraid of him to resist. After seeing that, you began to seek refuge on a kisaeng house in high hopes that he would never find you there.

 

“Do you think that they’ll kick me out?”

Your face turned blank. You were content with your life now. No, you just didn’t want to go back to where you were before.

 

“No, with these hands that work like magic...”

His fingers laced with yours and stuffed them in the hidden pocket of his clothes so that no one could see you. The heat of his touch felt warmer than the sunlight that melted the snow.

“They’ll never be able to do that even though they wanted to.”

 

Yes, you and Chanyeol had loved each other for years already. It was a secret only the two of you know of. He wanted you to run away with him but you had refused. You didn’t want to bring him into the mess of your life. He was very lively and cheerful but something told you that beneath that mischievous smile, there was something else hidden.

 

“Help me have more customers.”

You looked into his eyes and saw that your words had hurt him.

 

His grip on your hand tightened. He didn’t want you to have more customers. Actually, he wanted the kisaeng house to kick you out and after that he’ll take you away and live with you.

 

“Can’t you see that I want you for myself? I don’t want to.”

Somehow, he managed to fake a chuckle.

“The only customers I can bring to you are my friends. They won’t look at you but only hear your beautiful music. They know you’re mine.”

 

With those words, he leaned in to kiss you but shifted you head to avoid the kiss like you always did. He saw it coming but he had always patiently waited for the day when you would allow him to kiss your lips. Your lips were more attractive now as there had been a slight tint of coral on them that made your lips look healthy. You never thought of your lips to be attractive. They were little yet plump and were a little bit too childish for your liking but Chanyeol didn’t care, they were yours and he liked every bit of you.

 

He was slightly older than you, a little bit over ten months,  an that couldn’t be noticed as he was far more childish.

 

“Yunhee! Why did you stop practicing?”

You heard a voice from afar. It was Chosun, one of your sisters. She was one of the most beautiful kisaengs out there. Her eyes sparked mystery and class and her lips curve up into a seductive smile that always hinted mischief.

 

“Go now!”

You told Chanyeol as he released your fingers and had jumped off the cemented barrier of the house.

 

“I’m just checking the strings.”

You replied back to Chosun as you pretended to meddle with your instrument.

 

 

-

 

 

“Give this a try, Yunhee.”

Chosun demonstrated the dance, moving the two swords gracefully, pointing one sword at the sky and then putting the other near ; the edge far and opposite her milky skin.

 

You followed her suit, moving exactly like the way she did. Chanyeol wasn’t exactly accurate in seeing things. In fact, you can dance and sing. It’s just not as extraordinary as Chosun’s but it can pass for people who don’t care of whatever art your kind put into a dance or a song. Singing was never your forte as you always play the gayagum whenever a sister of yours is performing. It was your mediocre level talent. As for dancing, well... you can dance but you can’t exactly keep up with the pace your other sisters were learning the choreography and you would always, always find yourself forgetting the dance the next day.

 

Chosun, being your most wonderful sister, had been patiently teaching you every move you need to learn. She was talented and you look up to her a lot. She practices when everybody is sleeping, perfecting her art. She was like bamboo, flexible yet firm; molding her body into graceful poses which were only possible through the hard work she had always poured out.

 

“That’s better. Maybe you will be able to catch up just in time to perform at the palace.”

Chosun smiled at you, encouraging you to do better.

 

 

-

 

 

You brought out your gayagum, slowly unveiling it from the silk that enclosed the body. You had customers, Sungkyungkwan scholars that were interested with your music. You smiled at them, confident that you would bewitch them again. Most people wouldn’t even look at you twice when they see you in the streets yet after hearing you play, they would certainly yearn for you. Your musical abilities had always enhanced your beauty after, that’s why these scholars had been requesting you after you played your fist tune.

 

String by string, you slowly plucked the instrument, giving in to the temporary trance caused by the melody. Slowly, you increased the tempo; sending a frenzy of harmonies into the air. They were chained by the tune, intoxicated. You had taken them to a new world, completely lost in a fantasy. Their anxiety was lifted and their worries, forgotten. It’s a bubble that seemingly had no chance of popping, there was no escape. With very string you pluck, their hearts would beat and with every sound that resonates, they awe in wonder. It was your charm that was far greater than any kisaeng’s.

 

They yearn for you. Your pale skin seemed to be more radiant, glowing; probably brought by the high you get when playing. They want to embrace and kiss you yet they knew you belong to someone else. You belong to the man who was by your side, Chanyeol.

 

The music had already ended and the spell you cast was finally lifted as the men in the room began to applaud.

 

“Yunhee-ssi, I heard you and your sisters were invited to perform in the palace next week.”

Dongwoon finally said while casually taking a place near you.

 

“Yes.”

You softly smiled at him.

 

“It’s sad that only palace people were allowed to go inside. It would be wonderful to see you dance for the first time.”

Gikwang joined in the conversation, letting you pour sweet liquor in his cup.

“It would be nice to be Chanyeol for once, he’ll see you dance.”

 

“You won’t be there to watch Yunhee. You’ll have your eyes fixed on Chosun, hyung.”

Chanyeol playfully smack the older boy’s arm. Gikwang was over two years his senior in Sunkyungkwan, the prestigious school for nobles. Scholars from Sungkyungkwan usually have time to slack off and drink as they only undergo minimal tests on the lectures during their stay. Instead, they compete with each other on other games or contests that the professors prepared.

 

“I can’t help it.”

Gikwang said. He was thinking about Chosun, forever in a trance with his unrequited love. He loves her and was never really quiet about it.

 

You wondered at how Chosun can resist this man. He was good looking and was willing to spend all the money in the world just so he can take her name out of the kisaeng registry. The registry contained all the names of the past and present kisaengs. It contained your name as well.

 

It might look like Chosun has no interest in him but it was the contrary to you. You saw the way she looks at him and the way she takes little stolen glances of him. Her eyes bear the look of love. It was the same look you give Chanyeol.

 

She could never repay him. She could never fully love him and it was the same for you and Chanyeol. A kisaeng could never be a wife as she had been already seen as a mirage, a fantasy. She said that she might become too greedy and ask him to never marry, to be with her forever in a loving consent and it looks like you might be wishing for the same thing too.

 

By the looks of the situation, you had been thinking that it was best if you had not returned Chanyeol’s feelings the day he confessed. A hidden relationship with your kind carries a great risk. No matter how much you try to bend boundaries, never would it be broken.

 

These boundaries, what sense does it make? Am I not human like all nobles are?

 

 

 

 AUTHOR'S NOTES

A secret relationshipbetween you and Chanyeol~ What will happen next?

As some of you may have noticed, this story is connected to  Kris' story. Yes, it was the yellow teethed man.

 

Please be reminded that Jihoon's story is just an accompaniment and all time skips at that story is invalid. The accompaniment stories only give us a slight glimpse of the future.

 

On to the Joseon related jargon explanations:

A kisaeng considered as a living art as much as the geishas of Japan and no... there is no trade going on. The mentioned  kisaeng registry contains all the names of the kisaeng meaning that all names written in there are "of property to someone else (property of the kisaeng houses)"

Sungkyungkwan is the known village of scholars and is located near the mercantile district. "... the doors to Sungkyunkwan aren’t the doors into the king’s palace, but that they open into the poorest and most deprived part of Joseon, Banchon (mercantile district)"-Moon Jae Shin of Sungkyungkwan Scandal

 

My writing style had changed eh? I think I'vebecome more descriptive.

Please comment, vote and subscribe ^^ Your ideas keep me going.