xxxii

Chasing Summer: Autumn

   “Are you sure you're going to be all right?” Howon asked doubtfully, as he stared at Woohyun, who was busy packing his rucksack with the basic things he needed. “You've been gone for years, do you even remember every nook and cranny in this place?”

   Woohyun sighed before looking back at his friend. “I'll be all right. Just enjoy your Christmas. I'll return before January.”

   “You do know that you've only been in Seoul for seventeen hours, right?”

   “Oh, you still have that habit of counting?” Woohyun teased.

   “Stop talking crap,” Howon shot back. “We haven't seen each other for more than six years, and that's what you tell me?”

   “Six years,” the other muttered. “It's been that long, huh? Still, I'm glad you let me stay in your place for the time being.”

   “If you are, then stay for a little longer.”

   Woohyun made a face. “Hey, I'm just going to Daegu to do my assignment, and I may have to stay in a local hotel or something. But I'll return, don't worry.”

   Howon didn't reply.

   “And I'm only going to be two hours away from Seoul,” Woohyun added. “It's not that far, but I've decided to stay in there nonetheless. It's much easier than traveling every single day.”

<:>

   “Suzy.”

   She froze, and slowly turned around. Jong In walked towards her, his hair a bit damp because of the snow outside. He still carried the coolness of the air, and for some odd reason, she became too conscious of it.

   “Hey,” she meekly greeted.

   He his lower lip, and remarked, “Today's the last day of school. It's awkward, right?”

   She smiled a little out of common courtesy, and nodded.

   “I feel awkward, too,” he admitted. “So much, that I'm actually wishing for the ground to swallow me whole at this very moment.”

   “Ah.”

   Silence surrounded the two of them. With shaky hands, Jong In took something out from his bag. It was a ticket. “My cousin gave me an extra,” he began. “It's for a musical. Do you want to come with me?”

   Suzy took in a deep breath, and met his eyes. “Thank you for thinking about me,” she cautiously said. “But you should invite somebody else.”

   “Even when you reject someone, you do it gently,” he remarked, not even hiding the tinge of disappointment he felt. “Suzy, just because I admitted I was the one who kept on sending you roses, it doesn't mean that I've stopped liking you.”

   She felt her face grow hot. “It's flattering, knowing that someone like you can even admire me.”

   “It's predictable.”

   She scoffed at his expression. “But of course.”

   “What's your reason, for declining? Do you have a boyfriend already?”

   “I don't,” she answered.

   “So, you're available?”

   She smiled, and said, “No.”

   Jong In cocked his head. “I'm one who's really persistent to find a logical answer for every question. May I know your reason for not accepting my invitation?”

   “My answer, I'm afraid, is not logical.”

   He placed the ticket back to its rightful place. “Try me.”

   “It's not in my conviction to accompany you, especially now that I know you were the one who gave me those roses.”

   “Ah, so you're conscious of me?” Jong In suggested.

   “I am, but that isn't the core reason.”

   He smiled at the slightest. He had no idea how someone like her could be so transparent with her emotions. It hurt him, he had to admit, but that didn't stop him from listening.

   “We only met a few weeks ago, and this is our second time talking with each other.”

   “You don't trust me, then?”

   “You're honest,” she remarked. “And you even had the courage to admit what you were doing for the past few months.”

   “Suzy, you didn't answer my question.”

   “I don't trust you,” she straightforwardly answered, before adding, “Yet.”

   “Is that all?”

   Suzy thought for a moment, and she shook her head no.

   “Then what else?” Jong In gently pushed.

   “I'm waiting for someone.”

   He kept quiet, and this urged her to carry on. “I'm waiting for that person faithfully, and this may seem crazy to you, but I'm not rushing anything. I'm doing what I have to do right now, and when that right time comes, hopefully, we'll be ready.”

   Jong In thought for something to say. Finally, he asked, “Don't you want to try how it feels like to be with me?”

   “That's something you shouldn't ask to girls,” she snapped, much to his surprise. “Jong In, I'm not looking for a person to pass the time with. You can call me a prude or whatever, but this is my stand. I will not cheapen my future husband's place by getting a pseudo-boyfriend.”

   The young man sighed. He raked his black hair with his hand, closed his eyes to organize his thoughts, and opened them again. He finally looked at her. “You're different. Good different.”

   “I'm humbled.”

   Jong In gave her an amused smile. “I'm sorry if I said something that offended you.”

   Suzy bit her lower lip. “I'm sorry, too, if I hurt you.”

   “Thank you for being so kind,” he began. “But I guess what I started last summer...I guess it should stop now.”

   She didn't reply.

   “I may avoid you for a few more weeks on purpose,” he warned. “But I think you're pretty cool. After dealing with my own emotions, Suzy, can I approach you again? Not as your secret admirer, but as a friend. You know—if ever.”

   “It may take some time,” she admitted.

   “There's no rush.”

   Jong In shoved his hands in the pockets of his red windbreaker before walking past her. He was confident about his looks, and he had many admirers in high school, as well. But the thing was, Suzy was the very first girl he made a move on. He realized that he was too confident that he would get her, because of his appearance. Knowing that the opposite fawned over him fed his ego, as well. Bae Suzy, for him, was a wake-up call. He figured that not all girls want the same thing, and Jong In was thankful for that. He felt deflated upon knowing that he just got rejected, but that only made him stand firmly on the ground. He looked up at the bright ceiling lights, and murmured, “Whoever that guy is, he's lucky.”

   When things were quiet, Suzy heard a clap nearby. She slightly jumped, and made a face upon seeing that it was only Sungjong.

   “That escalated quickly,” he remarked, grinning. “That has got to be the greatest rejection I've ever seen.”

   “Eavesdropping is bad,” Suzy crossed her arms, a slight frown playing on her lips.

   “It was too interesting to not watch,” Sungjong said. “He's taking it coolly, though. That person.”

   “I think so, too.”

   Sungjong smiled. “I bet he'll cry when he finds the opportunity.”

<:>

   Myungsoo was about to throw the set of envelopes that got stuffed in his locker when a pale hand stopped him midway. He stiffened up, and darted his cold eyes on the intruder.

   “You're not even going to read them?” she asked.

   He stared at her for a second, trying to see if she was someone he knew or not. He finally figured that she was Naeun—a main editor of their school paper.

   “I can actually write a novel with the things they write to you, seriously,” she remarked. “It's interesting, and I'm more than tempted to publish them.”

   “Then why don't you do just that?” he seethed, before breaking free from her grip. Ruthlessly, he threw the letters in the bin.

   “Why do you keep on throwing them away?” she finally asked.

   “Why do they keep on sending me these?”

   “Those girls like you.”

   “But I don't like them.”

   Naeun was rendered speechless. She didn't expect Myungsoo to talk like that. She narrowed her eyes at him. “Have you even liked a girl?”

   He scoffed. “I have.”

   “Who?” she challenged.

   “Go play reporter with someone else,” he muttered, before walking away.

   Naeun sighed, and stared at the trashcan. “My letter's in there, though.”

<:>

   “The janitor said he saw those darned envelopes in the trash again,” Professor Yang remarked, as he sat down comfortably on the swivel chair. “That bin's starting to become famous. You should try throwing your love letters somewhere else.”

   “It doesn't matter,” Myungsoo quietly replied, his eyes fixed on the music sheet in front of him. He was in the process of finalizing the lyrics and making an essay as to why and how he wrote his own piece.

   “You're so rough,” his teacher pointed out. “Don't you feel sorry for the girls in this school?”

   “If I do, they'd mistake it for affection, and they'd keep the habit. I'd rather be cold towards them to show I'm not interested.”

   “That's the trouble,” Professor Yang played with the keyboard near him. “They get more attracted the more you push them away. Myungsoo-yah, why do you have to be born with superior genes, anyway?”

   The student scoffed at his mentor's teasing. “Stop feeding my ego.”

   Professor Yang sighed. He stretched his arms, and asked, “Will you be okay for the assessment? The theme's love. It's your weakness, right?”

   Myungsoo thought for several minutes before responding, “I've found the right kind of love I should sing and write about. I know I'll be okay.”

   “That's reassuring to hear,” his teacher truthfully said. “Now that I'm done checking up on you, I'll go visit the other students.”

   “You only meddled to satisfy your curiosity,” Myungsoo said, clearly amused. “Stop making excuses that you're concerned about me, Teach.”

   “Ah, that hurts my heart, Myungsoo-yah,” he returned, while dramatically placing his right hand over his chest. “Your words are like daggers, stabbing me to the very core.”

   “Just get out,” he muttered. “And bug the others just as much as you've bugged me.”

   Professor Yang laughed shortly. “I'm looking forward for your song after the holidays.”

<:>

   Sungyeol was aware that if it weren't for Pastor Kang and Myungsoo's regular phone calls, he would've gone crazy. Daegu was approximately two hours away from Seoul, but knowing that, and knowing that he couldn't go home because of his commitments, made things more difficult for him. Nevertheless, he was thankful because he still was surrounded by people who cared for him.

   It was around three in the afternoon, and the sky was gray. The widget in his phone indicated that snow would fall soon. The cafe was filled with people who wanted to warm themselves up. They chattered about, completely drowning the background music until all Sungyeol could hear was a blur of buzzing noises, accompanied by the clinking of the porcelain cups and the burble of brewing coffee.

   “Want to take a breather?” Himchan, his co-worker and churchmate, asked. “It's about time you have your break, anyway.”

   Sungyeol glanced at the pastel blue wall clock displayed near their counter. He quickly fixed himself a cup of hot coffee. “Thanks,” he said. “I'll be back after thirty minutes.”

   “Don't wear yourself out,” Himchan advised. “I know you're eager to learn, but remember to look after your health, too.”

   “I got it, I got it,” Sungyeol replied. He gave his friend a pat on the back before heading for the backroom, where the staff usually spent their time during breaks. He took his coat from his locker and wore it before heading outside. The winter air pierced his lungs, causing him to feel alive again. The warmth and smell of pastries in the cafe made him lethargic. He yawned, and remembered that he only slept for four hours. He got too immersed in reading the previous night that he completely neglected the time.

   He was about to take a sip when he heard footsteps, muffled by the thin layer of snow and frost. Judging from the crying voice, it was a young boy. Sungyeol quickly opened the steel gate to intercept the person. He paused, and there, in front of him, stood a young boy with rosy cheeks. The cold air nipped at his button nose, and his eyes were glimmering because of his abundant tears. Sungyeol looked around him, and said, “Why are you walking in this alleyway, all alone?”

   The young boy didn't reply. Sungyeol's eyebrows met out of complete perplexity. He sat down to meet his eyes. “Hey, are you just going to stand here?”

   His shoulders began to tremble.

   “I'm talking to you,” Sungyeol pushed. “Why aren't you talking?”

   Then and there, the waterworks began. Sungyeol quickly placed his coffee on the ground to hold the crying boy by the arms. He didn't know what to do. Should he hug him? Pat his head? He had no idea.

   “Hey, why are you crying? What's wrong?”

   “M-M-Mister's mad at me!”

   “I'm not!” Sungyeol exclaimed. “I swear I'm not!”

   “But your eyes are scary! I...I...Mommy!”

   “Are you lost?”

   “I want my Mommy!”

   “Where is she?”

   “I want my Mommy! She was...she was...the mall...people...hand...” the young boy trailed off, and he began bawling once again.

   Sungyeol scratched the back of his head out of frustration. Finally, he said, “If your Dad sees you crying like this, will he be happy? You're a man.”

   “But I have no Daddy,” the young boy choked out. There was a moment of peace, like a calm before the storm. Tears began to form in his eyes once again, and he started wailing, “I don't have a Daddy!”

   “Hey, hey,” Sungyeol tried to quiet the boy down. Without knowing, he carried him, and said, “This Mister will bring you inside the cafe, all right? It's too cold out here. I'll give you hot chocolate, and then we'll go to the police station later to meet your Mommy, hm?”

   “Stranger danger!” the young boy yelled. He tried to squirm free, but stopped. He looked around him, and he started to smile. “It's so high in here! I can see over the fence!”

   Sungyeol smirked. “I swear my height is my only redeeming point,” he whispered more to himself. “Do you trust this Mister now?”

   “Will you really bring me to the cafe to give me hot chocolate?”

   “I said I will, all right?” he returned.

   “Then Mister, what's your name?”

   “Sungyeol. What's yours?”

   “Jin Gook.”

   “Do you know your Mom's number?” he inquired. “We can call her, instead.”

   “I do, I do!” Jin Gook excitedly squirmed in Sungyeol's arms. “But can I drink hot chocolate first?”

   “You just prioritized food over your mother,” he remarked.

   “Mister Sungyeol, what's prayritrize?”

   “Prioritize,” he said at a slower pace. “It's when you take something and make it more important than the other.”

   “Oh,” he said, nodding away. “Then can I have cake, too?”

   Sungyeol chuckled at the young boy's request. “Rascal.”

   They returned in the cafe, and Himchan was in the kitchen, quickly preparing the cups that just got dried. He looked at the boy his friend was carrying, and he whistled. “You suddenly have a kid with you.”

   “He's lost,” Sungyeol briefly explained. “I'll give him something to eat, so just deduct it from my salary.”

   “How'd you find him?”

   “He was crying like a baby earlier. The sound caught my attention.”

   Himchan chuckled. “What's your name?”

   “Jin Gook,” he answered.

   “You can call me Himchan hyung.”

   “You don't look angry like Mister Sungyeol.”

   With this, Himchan laughed. “Mister Sungyeol does look scary, doesn't he? But he makes the best hot chocolate and cake. He's really kind.”

   “You won't stop?” Sungyeol snapped. “This k-i-d is really a p-a-i-n in the b-u-double-t.”

   “I can spell, you know,” Jin Gook huffed, which caused Himchan to guffaw all the more.

<:>

   Woohyun patted his laptop with a satisfied smile on his face. He had achieved what he needed to finish for the day. He met the refugee for the first time, and upon knowing his age, he decided to take things slow. For Woohyun, the people he interviewed were as good as friends. He wasn't only interested about the stories they had to tell, but to their very core, as well. He always had the knack to warm up to people, no matter who they were. That made his profession easier.

   He was about to exit the mall when a female caught his attention. Her eyes darted about wildly, and her desperate steps showed that she lost something. Without hesitating, he approached her. “Miss, are you all right?”

   Shaken, the young woman turned around to face him, eyes trembling with anxiety. Her lips were slightly set apart, and despite the cold temperature, beads of sweat were beginning to form on her creased forehead.

   “My son,” she choked out, her voice weak. “I lost my son.”

   Woohyun's eyes slightly widened. He didn't expect her to have a child already. Nevertheless, he gave her a reassuring smile. “I can help you look for him. Did you go to the lost and found department already?”

   She nodded, and tears inevitably emerged from her bright eyes. Lips shaking, she said, “I've been waiting, but Jin Gook still hasn't shown up. I even described how he looked like and showed the security guards his picture.”

   “Maybe he isn't inside,” he suggested. “We'll search for places nearby.”

   “But it's his first time here in Daegu. He wouldn't know...”

   Without a word, Woohyun offered his handkerchief to her. “The faster we move, the quicker we'll find him.”

   He gently guided her out of the mall. Exactly, her phone began ringing. She quickly picked it up upon seeing that it was a new number, hoping that it was Jin Gook on the other end of the line. She was at the point of fainting upon realizing that her hunch was right.

   “Mommy!” he greeted.

   “Jin Gook-ah! Where are you? Why did you let go of my hand?”

   “I'm sorry,” he began. “But a good Mister took me into his cafe. I'm eating now.”

   “Where is it?” she desperately asked. “Jin Gook, where are you now?”

   “I'm in...” he trailed off, and suddenly said, “I'm in Polaris Cafe!”

   She looked at Woohyun, and asked, “Do you know where Polaris Cafe is?”

   Woohyun's eyes sparkled. With a relieved smile, he said, “I had my breakfast there earlier. It's just nearby.”

   She thanked him quietly, before saying over the phone, “Jin Gook, stay there, okay? Mommy's coming to pick you up.”

   “Okay.”

   “I'll see you.”

   “I love you, Mommy. And I'm sorry.”

   “I love you, too. We'll talk later, hm?”

   “Bye bye.”

   “Bye.”

   Beep.

   “It's in this direction,” Woohyun quickly said. The both of them walked in silence for a few moments, and then he broke the silence by saying, “I didn't expect you to have a child, in all honesty.”

   She smiled. “I had Jin Gook when I was still seventeen.”

   “Ah, I see. I'm sorry if I mentioned something I shouldn't have.”

   The young woman slowly shook her head. “Thank you for helping me out.”

   “Your accent sounds like you came from Seoul.”

   “We're just visiting Daegu,” she explained. “I want to show him around. Yours sound different, too.”

   “Oh, I'm assigned to stay in Korea—particularly Daegu—for a couple of weeks because of a project.”

   “So you aren't from here?”

   “I'm originally from Seoul, but stayed in London by the time I turned thirteen.”

   “It must be nice, living overseas,” she remarked. “I never had the chance, since I stopped going to school in order to look after Jin Gook.”

   “So long as you're alive, there are opportunities,” Woohyun replied.

   The young woman smiled at his encouragement. “What's your name?”

   “Woohyun,” he amicably answered. “Nam Woohyun. What's yours?”

   “Goo Hara.”


"Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God."
- Hebrews 13:16