Lady Luck Of Blue

The Child of Namyrur

A cream striped cat walks pass the big gate of Nairn castle, scurrying when it sees a village cart full of rice sacks pulled by two horses trot into the palace ground. As afternoon clouds subside, the four feet animal climbs up the stone walls effortlessly and began journeying to the end of the Knights practice site. His feline eyes soon catch interest on a pair who distanced themselves from the others, sparring with a sword and a shield.

“Come on, Taemin. Here I go again.” Minho calls, swinging the blunt sword he had in hand. Taemin, who had the heavy shield in one arm and a metal helmet on his head, makes hesitant steps to keep alert on any incoming blow from the Prince as sweat runs down his jaw.

“Waist!” Minho hollers, quickly attacking the spot he hinted at Taemin. The latter awkwardly defenses himself, the heaviness weighing him down and draining his energy. But Minho is relentless and he continues his spar as he yells the spot he aims for, “Left foot! Right arm! Chest! Left foot! Head!” Eventually, Minho’s sword laid on Taemin on the last attack and the young warlock could hear bells ringing in his head at the impact between the sword, the helmet and his precious head. He falls to his bottom from dizziness.

“I’m trying here, Taemin.” Minho teases as he plunges his sword on the rigid ground and takes off his leather gauntlet. “How will you toughen up if you can’t even plant your foot properly and deflect my hits?”

“In the first place,” Taemin panted, taking off his helmet and letting fresh air hit his temperate face. “Why do I have to toughen up? It’s not like I’m a Knight!”

“You forgot, Taemin, that two weeks ago you marched into battle by yourself when I opted you to stay safe further away? I figured I’d toughen you up because you never listen to me anyway.” Minho says and Taemin groans in displeasure.

“Is this because of yesterday?” Taemin asks, when he pushed Minho into a lake and thought he’d drown to death.

“You mean when you tripped, squealed and fell into the lake, pulling me as you did so? No, of course not.” Minho replies promptly, hiding the bitterness in his voice. “You’re a real klutz so I’m endowing you a helping hand.” He sees the dread in Taemin’s eyes and could see the boy is a little too tired for another bout. The Prince let out a sigh, deciding it’s enough for today.

“Get on your feet Taemin.” He orders and pulls his sword out to sheathe it. The young warlock lightens up. “We’re going on rounds. Get the Book of Law from my chamber.” Minho adds before striding off, his boots crunching on the soil. Taemin, disappointed, rolls his eyes before he let his exhausted body drops on his back.

“This is… five hells.”

 

~o~

 

The day concludes and the sunrise merry sinks to a quiet summer night. Stars spread across the bleak sky and the moon comes out from behind moving clouds. The crickets sing and the wind picks up, gently rattling the white curtains as it find its way inside a chamber.

Onew looks up from his reading material when the door creaks open softly to welcome Taemin’s return from the public bath. He looks comfortable in his fresh tunic, his golden hair wet and unbrushed and the white towel hanging damp on his left arm.

“Welcome back.” Onew smiles at him. Taemin sees the Book of Spell lying opened on the bed in front of the older man’s lap. The young warlock made his way to his comfy bed and drops on his stomach, sighing deeply.

“What are you reading?” He murmurs.

“A context on summoning an army of dead from the Death Plains.” Onew replies, casually flipping the yellowing pages. “The Twin Wizards composed it. I’m pretty sure it won’t work. Unless it’s another one of their exasperating pranks.” Taemin turns his head, eyeing his guardian with curiosity.

“You knew them?” The young warlock inquires and Onew smiles softly at him.

“Let’s just say I was one of the many victims. They were sons of a great mage that gave service for the Namyrur Kingdom. I watched them grew. They loved creating potions and crafting spells, only they weren’t skilled on that major so their attempts always ended into ruinous prank on their friends.” Onew says, then tilts his head. “I wonder how this spell found its way into this book. If fallen to wrong hands, the consequence wouldn’t be delightful.”

“How so?” Taemin murmurs again.

“Back then, warlocks and enchantresses were like clouds. They’re everywhere. So dealing with the outcome wasn’t that difficult. In present, I don’t think it’s possible.” The older man responds. “Maybe it is fate the book came your way. It chose you. If anyone, you fit the most to wield it.” Onew pats Taemin’s damp hair, cold to his warm hand. The young warlock groans in disagreement, burying his face into the mattress.

“My incompetence knows no boundaries Onew. How is it you find so much faith to put in me?” Taemin rants and the older man draws back in surprise.

“What’s wrong?” He asks. Taemin sits up, facing him.

“It’s been two weeks, Onew. Two darn weeks. I’m Minho’s manservant, I had every chance I could have to kill him. I’ve tried pushing him in a lake, pulling him into a bear’s cave, knocking him with vases, putting venom in his bath water and a hundred times trying to stab him with any sharp weapons I could find nearby just to harm him a little! And every attempt I did never saw light. I’m a true incompetent human being with a slight difference from the others because of my useless magic power!” Taemin fumes. Then he drops his face in his palms. “Uurgh.” He groans.

Onew stares at the young warlock, astonished to hear his outburst. The older man then bursts into a hearty laughter. Only a few minutes later did he catches his breath and collects himself.

“Taemin, you really are King Jaejoong’s son. I wouldn’t doubt you for a second.” Onew says as the latter stares dumbly at him. “It’s a wonder how you two sound so similar.”

“Err.. Which part?” Taemin asks. Onew’s smile suddenly falters as if a veil of sadness has descended. In those silent seconds, Taemin knows there’s something he’s not telling.

“Every part Taemin. You carry his blood, I wouldn’t expect much less.” Onew answers and Taemin can’t find words to respond. “But is it true you’ve never harmed Minho?” Onew shifts the topic and Taemin honestly wants to hear more about his father but putting down the Prince’s name seems more appealing.

“Well, I did punch him once.” Taemin confesses to Onew’s small surprise.

“How did you two become so hateful with one another?”

“Mmm I don’t know. It occurred in the first glance, I guess. He didn’t leave a good impression to me and I don’t think he’s fond of me.” Taemin idly states as his thoughts wonder to the overbearing Prince. “That man is never satisfied unless he’s fawned like a big infant he is.” The younger one complains. Onew laughs some more. The words sounded funnier than Taemin meant to convey and he found himself smiling too.

“Well,” Onew sighs. “Maybe it’s not the time yet. We have to believe in the old foretelling. I do not think you are to blame, Taemin. You are a great warlock and you carry Namyrur Kingdom’s hope on your shoulders, but remember, no one can defy God’s will. We have nothing to lose if we take our time and keep trying our best.” He encourages.

Taemin’s heart soothes and he struggles to ignore the remaining insecurity in his heart. Hanging around Minho had made him realize how inadequate he is. It’s true that the Prince didn’t leave a good impression on him, but it’s not easy to keep a blind eye on his fine qualities, like chivalry and forgiving. Taemin fears that one day Minho’s actions would alter his choices.

“It’s not like I wanted to hate Minho..” Taemin mumbles. He let out a sigh, wondering if it’s time to go to bed. Then there’s a knock on the door and Minho stuck his head inside.

“Taemin, I need you.” He summons quickly, leaving before the latter could refuse and destroying Taemin’s plan to retire for the night.

Taemin punches his mattress once and heaves a breath, smiling grimly. “I take back my word. I do hate him.” He says to Onew before he takes off.

 

~o~

 

Moments later, they are in Minho’s room with the hearth liven with fire to provide warmth. Taemin lifts up the cloth Minho shoved in his hands; a wrinkly, long-sleeved and heavily padded black tunic with side buckles. A black leather vest to be worn over it rests on the Prince’s bed, washed and crumpled.

“You want me to iron these?” Taemin asks exasperatingly. Minho, who was scanning over a short report with a drinking goblet in one hand, makes way around his work table.

“Yes.” He briefly answers. Taemin drops the black tunic over the vest.

“Now?” He reconfirms and Minho puts down his drink on the table before making way to his manservant, matching his energized eyes with Taemin’s drained orbs.

“Yes.” He simply beams.

“And may I ask why you aren’t wearing the usual uniform tomorrow and also why you are looking like an overexcited doggy?” Taemin inquires with a mocking tone when his curiosity keeps growing. “I thought I’m done for the day.”

“Taemin, you work around the clock for me. And you forgot again that I’m your Prince and that you shouldn’t call your future sovereign an ‘overexcited doggy’.”

“Oh. Yeah. I forgot.” The shorter of the two grins mischievously as he bends down to collect the clothes. “I’m sorry, Prince.” He mimicked, knowing the latter is uncomfortable with the title when he used it.

Minho had grown natural with Taemin calling him using his name and although the boy is sometimes foul to him, he learnt to accept this side of Taemin. It put him at ease because Taemin can be anything but dishonest compared to the rest of the servants that keep up to him. He needn’t mask himself in front of Taemin.

“So, my dear Prince, what is it that had made you so eager to see the next sunlight?” Taemin teases as he makes his way to the iron gear he left near the hearth.

“Drop it.” Minho scolds, tailing after him and eventually sits on his work chair as he observes Taemin spread his cloth on the flat, pressing stone installed to the wall.

“Father informed me that an urgent letter from the harbor had arrived earlier.” Minho explains happily. “My mother’s coming home.”

Taemin’s eyes travel up from the cloth iron to see the smile on the Prince’s face. “The Queen? Where had she been?” He asks while Minho shows surprise.

“My mother is Althea of Alyenora. Surely you have heard of Nairn Kingdom’s most renowned merchant clan?”

“Oh. Your mother’s a merchant?” Taemin’s soft expression illustrates interest in the new discovery. Minho is a little curious as to why there are still people who are not aware of their Queen’s endeavor. His mother deserves every admiration in the world. Her eldest son is more than willing to introduce her.

“The Alyenora merchant clan deals with trading gemstones and accessories. Gems, crystals, jades, diamonds, rubies, pearls, all of these, in the highest quality you could ever wish to own in the whole Nairn Kingdom. Mother had been harnessing more unique gemstones that are found only at the other side of the sea and she had been gone for nearly two years in her pursuit.” Minho went on, droning the silence into an excited talk about his most admired woman.

Taemin found the situation quite amusing and his lips graced a sweet smile. He wonders if Minho only wanted to let him know about the Queen or Minho only just admires his own mother too much. But he didn’t want Minho to pause so he keeps to himself. For the first time, Taemin sees the Prince in an adorable prospect. He listens enjoyably as his hands busily press Minho’s black clothing.

Only moments later did Minho’s eyes notice Taemin’s unruly and unbrushed curls when he mentioned his mother’s long, brown hair. “Your hair is not tied.” He points out.

“I just bathed.” Taemin answers, surprised to hear him care. Minho knows it shouldn’t bother him, but as he bites the edge of his thumb, he found himself oddly distracted. With a hassle, he stands and picks up his own comb.

“What are you doing?” Taemin raises his voice, taken aback when Minho approaches him from behind and began caressing his damp hair.

“Be quiet and do your job.” Minho scolds as he combs the golden tresses, smooth in his palm and shiny to his eyes.

“This is creepy.” His manservant sputters. “Excitement can change a personality, I suppose.” Taemin lightly giggles, which sounded surprisingly lively to Minho’s ears.

“You should be grateful. Not every master combs their servant’s hair.” Says Minho, amused at himself. “Your hair is very long. Your back view looks almost like a lady.”

“I’ll take that as an ‘offend’.” Taemin decides.

“I honestly don’t mind.” Minho smirks to the latter’s annoyance. Taemin wriggles his head, messing up Minho’s work.

“Hey!” The prince hits him with the comb he had in hand. “If you don’t stop moving, I’m going to add more work to your list.” Minho taunts and Taemin ceases immediately. The grin slid back on the Prince’s lips. “But you still have to polish my boots and my crown.”

Taemin shudders in irritation. “Minho, you overbearing frog.”

“I’ll take that as a ‘compliment’.” The prince jests. As he laughs, Taemin steps on his toe and Minho jumps away with a yelp. It’s Taemin’s turn to laugh now.

“How dare you!” Minho mutters under his breath before wounding his arm around Taemin’s neck and noogie the poor boy.

“Ow! Ow! The iron is hot! The iron is hot!” Taemin tries to remind the taller man that he is holding the temperate tool in his hand. Minho ignores him anyway. There was a constant knock on the door, which both of them couldn’t hear a midst their argument and soon, the door creaks open. Minho and Taemin freeze and look up.

“Um..” Kai eyed each one of them, feeling odd at the paused scene displayed in front of him. “What are you two doing?” He asks. The arguing duo breaks apart, sending sidelong glances to one another.

“I was just.. grooming.” Minho speaks, putting down the comb on his table as Taemin resumes his work. The prince clears his throat. “What brings you here?”

Kai doesn’t seem convinced with his brother’s answer but he let the case rest. “Father sent me. He went into his vault and found something he thought Mother would love to set eyes on.” Kai smiles to his brother, opening his clenched palm to present the item.

“The family pendant!” Minho bares a genuine delight on his face and he reaches out to take the necklace. Taemin’s interest got the better of him and he put away the iron aside and goes to see.

“What’s this?” The young warlock inquires, curiously inspecting the pendant in Minho’s hand. The colour enamored his eyes. “It’s very charming.”

“It’s our family pendant.” Minho says. “It’s crafted from the first gemstone Mother found during her travel. She was love struck with the colour, so she decided to made it as our family pendant rather than trade it.”

“This gemstone,” Kai chimes in and Taemin’s eyes shift to his. “It is very special because it is found only in one location in all seas.”

The young warlock examines the beautiful translucent shades of soft blues, white and turquoise marked with streaks and pattern of white on the precious gem. It reminds him of sunlight dancing beneath clear seawater. And it is potently drawing his attention.

“Wow.” Taemin murmurs in impression. Minho’s heart swells in proud, knowing that his mother seems well regarded by Taemin now. An hour ago, he wouldn’t give a care. But now, he feels like he had achieved something and the pleasant smile on Taemin’s pink lips counts as his personal credit.

But the mere caress of the nice feeling lingers only briefly. He sees Taemin approaches Jongin to inspect the same necklace clasped around his brother’s neck and even the smooth gem. Jongin seems unfazed by the intimate act.

“It’s a little feminine, but the colour is pretty.” Taemin comments as he flashes a friendly smile to the taller man. Minho’s intolerance takes its toll.

“Come on, it’ll only look feminine on someone like you.” Minho scoffs at the boy as he tries to put the necklace on himself. Both Kai and Taemin stares at him, puzzled to his scornful tone. The Prince’s effort on putting the necklace on bears no triumph. Minho’s sudden change of attitude perplexes Kai, but realization soon dawns on Taemin. He let out a sigh.

“Come here, let me do it for you.” The young warlock offers and goes to Minho’s back, clasping the silver locks properly. Kai mentions something about visiting a tavern and thereafter wishes a good night to Minho and Taemin before leaving.

“You’re doing it again.” Taemin says when the door clicks shut.

“Do what?” Minho retorts.

“I don’t know! Jealousy?” The latter exclaims, bringing in his mind previous similar situation. Minho sniggers sarcastically.

“Why would I be jealous? It’s you. There’s no merit to it.”

“You’re being ridiculous.” Taemin walks away to resumes his job while Minho still won’t admit to him.

“You’re the one being ridiculous here.” The Prince argues.

“Oh, in what way?”

“You call my brother Kai instead of Jongin.” Minho itemizes. Taemin’s brows arch in bafflement.

“What’s wrong with calling him Kai? I see no harm done! Everyone else calls him with the same name.” He defends, recalling the farmers he passed by and the grannies whom Kai had afternoon tea with in the palace kitchen.

“Oh really? List me the ‘everyone’.” Minho demands, folding his arms over his chest. Taemin gawks at the man in front of him that renders him speechless.

He grunts loudly in frustration then pouts to himself, deciding to ignore Minho. At that moment, the surprisingly adorable sight makes Minho feels the tension disperse as once again, he found himself arguing with his manservant over some nonsensical subject. He suppresses his laughter and tosses his gaze outside the window to the starry night sky with a small smile.

“Tis really a good night.”

 

~o~

 

The very next morning, Taemin creaks open the door to Minho’s room, stepping into the ever familiar space with a bowl of water in his hands. The birds chirp from the opened windowpane and dazzling white rays spill onto the grey stone floor.

Taemin’s eyes swept over the messy bundle of white blankets abandoned on the Prince’s bed and he stops his steps as his eyes waver to the man leaning on the worktable, tossing an apple in one hand.

“Woah, someone’s excited.” He muses with a grin, knowing Minho too well to say he’s not an early riser.

“Shut up.” Minho replies, but finding his lips tugging up at the mere thought of the Queen’s return. Taemin places the washing bowl by the bedpost.

“Did you slept or did you just tossed around?” Taemin asks. To him, it looks like a wild dog had thrashed around on the bed sheets like how it would on a flowerbed.

Minho stretches out his limbs as he mumbles an incoherent reply. He put down the apple and makes his way to the bowl of water to wash his face and Taemin fetches a small towel for the Prince to wipe on. When the bed is made and the Book of Law is sent from the old library as per usual, Taemin helps Minho into his attire in front of a full-length mirror.

“Have you gone through the banquet meal list?” Minho inquires.

“Not yet.” Taemin answers, then says, “Lift your arm.”

“Well then, have you checked the hall? Are there enough seats?” Minho asks again as the black tunic embraces him down, messing his hair a little.

“The bearer didn’t allow a way in.” The young warlock answers again. “Turn around.” He adds as Minho faces his reflection.

“What about Mother’s room? I did remind you to send maids, right?” The Prince asks once more. Taemin sighs as he put the vest up for Minho.

“They know their job when it’s necessary.”

“I still need confirmation.” Minho insists, sliding his arms through the sleeveless black leather. “Also, the apples. Have someone picked out a fresh lot?” Minho catches Taemin’s pupils shift to the left, clearly trying to avoid eye contact through the mirror reflection.

“Probably.” The boy responds.

“Taemin!” Minho raises his voice in alarm, whirling around to face the boy, knowing that this calls for a round of scolding.

“Why are you so fussy anyway? There are others ready to serve the Queen too, you needn’t be so wary!” Taemin spouts.

“Apparently, someone here forgot he’s serving the Prince! There’s nothing wrong with me. It’s you, why aren’t you thrilled in any way?!” Minho retorts.

“Because I don’t get it!” Taemin responds, faltering a little before he adds on, “I have never been in your place.” When Taemin lowers his voice, Minho didn’t have a heart to raise his in reply.

“What do you mean?” He inquires. There’s a shade of sadness layering his bearer’s eyes and he wants to know why. Taemin heaves a sigh, shoulders sagging down.

“I never waited for someone to come home. I have always been by myself.” He confesses. “I didn’t get a chance to meet my mother or father.” The young warlock never expected he’d sound so pitiful. He wishes he was better now that he’s facing this man, whom he sworn to kill.

Minho couldn’t think of words to reply. He can feel the slightest anger he had a few seconds ago dissolve into a terrible stream of guilt and sympathy. He stares in stupor at Taemin, who probably thought acting ordinarily is natural in this kind of occasion. How can he himself hope to understand when he never been in Taemin’s place too? Initially, Minho was insanely sure his bearer deserves a scolding. Now, he can only feel remorse eating him inside out.

Minho his dry lips. He needs to fix this. Minho wonders what he should talk about until his eyes notice Taemin’s shabby clothing.

“I don’t mind the rest, but have you got proper clothing for this evening?” Minho inquires. Taemin checks himself out.

“Is this not passable?” He asks. The deep brown tunic he wore had a few broken threads and the thin overcoat looks as if it has seen much better days.

“It’s not quite to my satisfactory.” Minho replies.

“Are you mocking me?” Taemin folds his arms, squinting in suspicion at his master.

“Believe me, I never meant to sound that way.” Minho promptly smiles at him. “But if it did, allow me to make atonement for it. Come.” He quickly pulls Taemin’s wrist and strides out his room. The young warlock complained but along the way, he figures it is pointless anyhow.

 

~o~

 

An hour later, Taemin found himself dragged into a fabric store in Vawdrey City. Stocks of cotton and silks lined the walls and sewing machines are positioned on each four working tables that almost made the room crowded. Minho watches with a smile as the plump seamstress, Mrs. Belle, fusses around the confused boy while her two assistants abide her every command.

“Oh dear, you are very thin, are you not? And you got some pretty long legs, do you not? And a fair complexion that is extremely notable!” She exclaims, measuring Taemin’s slender body swiftly. “Let me see if I can whip up something perfect for you.”

“No, Mrs. Belle.” Minho stops her before she began rummaging through her countless, colourful fabrics. “I appreciate your talent, but I was hoping you could get him a ready-made attire. I’m afraid we don’t have much time until the Queen’s return.”

“My my, how inconsiderate was I. Of course, your highness. Right away.” She bows with a flushed smile before leading her assistant into the supply room, where they kept their stocks.

“You know, Minho.” Taemin says, squirming in discomfort as he stands on a heightened pedestal. “This is totally unnecessary. I’m seriously concerned right now.”

To his comment, Minho let out a small laughter. “I’m showing compassion and I hear this. What are you so concerned about?”

“Is this a trap or something? Are you planning to make me work for you for the rest of my lifetime?” Taemin implores, wondering how much an attire made by Mrs. Belle would cost. Minho laughs some more.

“You lack in ability to be a proper servant and your manners require lots of polishing. I wouldn’t trade anything to have a servant like you for a lifetime.” The Prince replied. Taemin wanted to ask why Minho won’t sack him, but he gradually remembers the answer.

“So you still won’t fire me because you gave your word you won’t? Do all Princes do that?” The young warlock asks nonchalantly, mystified as to why Minho never seemed to show desire on expelling him. So far, he only got mad on every quarrel they shared.

“It’s not because I’m a Prince, idiot.” Minho responds, leaning on a tabletop and folding his arms over his chest. “Faith is the essence of confidence in one person towards another. What matters most in a good man is how well he keeps his word. If I am to become a leader someday, I need my people to have faith in me.”

When Taemin shows stun at his answer, Minho grins amusedly. “Was that too elaborative? You always seemed bothered about my reason for keeping you as my manservant.”

“I’m not bothered.” Taemin retorts. “Just… curious.” He resists the thought pressing on the back of his mind, echoing admiration for Minho. Why can’t this man be a real jerk? He wishes in his heart.

Moments later, Mrs. Belle comes back with an attire of Taemin’s size. The young warlock found himself dressed into a cream-coloured, long cotton vest over a long-sleeved white tunic. When Taemin flicks his gaze to his master, Minho gives him a nod of approval.

“You look good.” Minho comments as they walk out the shop side by side. Taemin undid his braid that had loosened and ties his golden hair into a high ponytail.

“Thanks. It’s very comfortable.” He smiles back at the taller man, his eyes forming crescents and his plump cheeks reminding Minho of lightly baked buns.

“Have you had breakfast?” Minho inquires and Taemin casts him a sidelong glance, wondering why the Prince asks him this all of the sudden.

“I had a mug of tea.” He answers.

“Great. Let’s get some bread rolls then.” Minho beams decidedly and pulls Taemin’s wrist, briskly striding towards a small bakery. Taemin doesn’t know what had triggered Minho to buy him breakfast this morning, but the more he tries to object, the more stronger resolve he ignites inside the Prince.

From then on, he decides to obey Minho, who leads him from one door to another. They even got invited into children’s piano lesson when they passed by a neighbourhood on the way back. Minho was unskilled with the instrument, but children adore him greatly and he played with them well. Taemin liked that.

When they return to the castle, it is already afternoon and the Queen’s arrival is imminent. Minho visits his Father in the Throne room, who was discussing archery craftsmanship with Jongin. Taemin did Minho’s laundry and goes around the castle to find Onew. He was helping Yoogeun to harvest fresh apples.

When Minho and Taemin rendezvous, it was already late afternoon and Queen Althea’s party and carriages have arrive in the palace ground. King Changmin steps out to welcome his wife home, but the Queen is nowhere in sight.

“Where’s Thea?” He asks his eldest son, who was searching for his mother as well.

“Knowing Mother, she’s probably on horseback.” Jongin answers instead with a smile.

As if on cue, a brown horse trots through the big gate and the wind blows the rider’s long, auburn hair to her back gently. As soon as she climbs down her mount and straightens her simple cerulean blue dress, King Changmin embraces her and plants a kiss on her forehead. She smiles up to him.

A beautiful woman, Taemin thought. She had a classic beauty, one that exhibits a matured vibe and a slightly tanned skin. However, what draw his attention are her eye colours. One eye of her is hazel brown and the other, a light blue. Taemin stares in amazement.

“Welcome home, love.” The King says, caressing her hair.

“I’m back, dear. Now where are my two sons?” She chimes. Both Minho and Jongin approaches them and receive a big, loving hug they yearned for. “Oh my wee darlings! I trust you both are in good health?”

“Of course, Mother.” Minho replies, a smile poised on his lips.

“I told you Mother wouldn’t be in the carriage.”Kai grins. The Queen chuckles.

“I couldn’t spare any of the gemstones behind. If I rode the carriage, I would only take up space so I figured a horseback ride is more efficient.” She replies happily. “My expedition managed to reap a big stone in the Dessert of Eagles. It took effort but it’s very beautiful. See, this one is made of it.” She enlightens, flashing the long necklace hung around her neck. A polished jewel adorns the silver ornament.

“Dessert of Eagles? That place is crawling with bandits.” Minho recalls horrifyingly. He knows he shouldn’t grimace as much, but when he’s worried, it shows.

“Oh darling, it was fine. I have a Knight, remember?” His mother assures, gesturing to the man holding the reins to his and her horse a few feet away.

“You’ve done well, Seunggi.” The King compliments gruffly and the man bows with a charming smile.

“Never mind that! I thought you’d be more interested in this gemstone. I was looking forward to your reaction, mind you. It was a remarkable discovery.” The Queen huffs at Minho, feigning a sulk.

“No, Mother, you got it all wrong! I like it, really. The blue is pretty.” Minho spouts.

“It’s not even blue.” She replies laughingly. Taemin look over the piece of jewelry and at once distinguish the deeper hue than ordinary blue.

“Lazuli.” He murmurs to himself.

“Pardon?” Althea perks up. “Who said that?” She searches around and Taemin swells in panic once her eyes land on him. “Was it you, boy?”

“Um. Err..” The young warlock didn’t know how to respond when the King, Kai and Minho turn to gaze at him as well.

“Could you repeat that?” The Queen requests, prompting him with an encouraging smile as if to say, ‘you need not be afraid’.

“Lazuli.” Taemin answers.

“Aha! He knows this gemstone!” She says, pleased to find someone who does and instantly advances to him. “What is your name, boy?”

“It’s Taemin.” He flashes a gratified smile. Althea was taken by his adorable features, but she held it in. She doesn’t want to scare him with a sudden cuddle. She’s the Queen and it would effortlessly look odd.

“Ah, Taemin. I remember. You were appointed as Minho’s manservant, didn’t you?” King Changmin utters, and then glances to his son. “Well this is a surprise.”

“What is?” Minho reacts.

“That you haven’t fire Taemin, isn’t it obvious?” Jongin says.

“It’s not like I’m not familiar with Minho’s selective preferences when it comes to settle on one manservant, but had it worsen during the time I was absent from home?” The Queen inquires. Both Changmin and Jongin nods together. “My, you must have it tough, Taemin.” She pats his shoulder. Taemin wanted to nod in agreement, but he senses Minho’s glare on him.

“Not at all, Your Highness. Really.” Taemin enunciates, gritting teeth behind his smile. Minho sighs heavily.

“So what would you like to do now Mother?” He shifts the topic.

“Mm, I don’t know. I feel like riding Rhoan. It’s been so long since I saw him. I didn’t get to enjoy my ride earlier since I’m in a dress.” She muses, tugging her dress a little and wrinkling her nose.

“I’m sure your stallion misses you as well. And a ride before a meal would bring in our appetite for the evening banquet. Would you want me to accompany you then?” The King offers, smiling fondly at his wife.

“Wonderful!” She agrees whole-heartedly. “Jongin, Minho, you two as well?”

“Of course.” Kai smiles back.

“Certainly.” Minho replies.

“What about you? Will you come with us?” The Queen gazes at Taemin hopefully.

“Me?”

“Him?” Minho asks. His mother nods expectantly.

“Come on, it’s to commemorate my homecoming and your success in meeting Minho’s expectations.” She tries to persuade.

“He’s certainly not what I ever expected.” Minho mumbles, folding his arms over his chest.

“I think you should come too.” Jongin voices out. “Alastor needs his exercise, don’t you agree?” He reminds attentively. Taemin is awfully hesitant but he is also thankful.

“I’d be happy if you would do us the pleasure, Taemin.” King Changmin adds on, fluently pressurizing the young boy. Taemin flickers a quick glance to Minho in hope for a little help.

“It’s fine as long as you don’t give any trouble.” He says nonchalantly. Taemin figures there’s nowhere out anymore.

“I’d be delighted to.” He consents, presenting a small smile. The Queen put her hands together in an ecstatic gesture.

“Great. Let us assemble here right after we freshen up.” She states before climbing the stairs to the front door in high spirits beside her faithful husband. A few servants began to move the carriages ahead to unload the luggage into the castle by the rear arch door. Kai says goodbye to Minho and Taemin afterwards.

“What luck.” Minho states, strolling to the bridge that leads to the stable. Taemin follows behind closely.

“What luck?” The young warlock questions. Minho gives him a sidelong glance, wearing a pleasant expression.

“My mother seems to have taken a liking to you.”

“Speaking of your Mother,” Taemin interjects spiritedly. “Why does she have different eye colours?”

“Oh, I forgot to tell you about that.” Minho says. “Mother’s right eye is blind.” To his reply, Taemin quickly glances to him with surprise.

“She looked perfectly fine to me.”

“She is. Her blue eye is blind since she was born but she never had complication with it. She used to be called the One-eyed Blue Lady.” Minho replies, stopping his tracks and moving away when a couple of children run pass him then resumes his steps.

“Why?” Taemin asks.

“Because Mother likes blue very much and her dresses are mostly of blue dye.” Minho answers. “Why do you think our family pendants are in blue colour when Nairn’s insignia is red?”

Taemin’s mouth forms an ‘o’ at the new unearthing. “Queen Althea is a very nice person.” He comments and smiles at the Prince.

“I’m glad we see eye to eye.” Minho says, stepping into a stableroom. He walks to the second stall and pats the black stallion. “Now put the saddle on Greyfell. I’m riding him.” He orders and strides pass Taemin, who stood in trance. “I’ll be waiting in my chamber with my riding boots. Be sure to hurry.” Minho adds with a grin. Taemin knows that the next job is to polish his boots and his lively spirit goes down a drain in a rush. He let out a sigh.

“I got it, Prince.”








~o~

A/N: Hi, I know it's been a while, sorry for that. ^^"

In case you want to see what Minho's black attire looks like, here you go:

 

 

This one is Taemin's new tunic:

 

 

Also, I want you guys to see for yourself how pretty Minho's family pendant is. It's larimar stone:

 

 

It's pretty right? I fell in love when I saw it. I'm going on a holiday trip next week. Next chap, you'll see Tomas revealing what Namyrur can't avoid to keep as a secret. And expect 2min to develop.

Lots and lots of love!! X)