Cloud With Silver Lining

Intertwined

 

He did not know if Yongguk knew, but having someone mouth words at your ear makes you feel uneasy. So, he turned his head sideway, mouthing about how that tickled. Granted, it did tickle, but he also did not want to answer Yongguk's recent question. Yongguk merely laughed and straightened up his body, nestling his head to his chest.

 

Besides his mother, no one had held him this intimately, but with Yongguk’s chin tucked inside his hair and the arms secured on his waist, Daehyun felt, if anything, at ease, despite the slight discomfort at his hunched position. It was a homely feeling.

 

Knowing that man for a merely a few months, it did not slip from him the way Yongguk would, despite the overpowering shyness naturally emitting from that man, ‘unintentionally’ brush his fingers against him, or compliment him in the way it would make his heart flutter and his face heat up with embarrassment. Sometimes Yongguk got a little braver, like the first time he laced their fingers together.

 

Yongguk was being a little brave right now, Daehyun thought, and he could not find it in himself to complain.

 

Breaking the silence, Yongguk uttered, “I have been undertaking an internship program for almost 6 months now…,” as he played with the tip of his hair, gently pulling at it.

 

“Hm.”

 

“I’ve always thought of quitting … before I met you, because I am not sure if it is the right thing for me. I have never been sure of anything…” Yongguk buried his nose inside Daehyun’s hair, inhaling the scent.

 

“The first time we met. That was coincidental. The second time at the park … that was coincidental too. But the third time in front of your house … I was waiting for you. The rest of the times too…”

 

Daehyun chuckled inwardly, thinking of telling the truth, that Yongguk was rather bad at being discreet, but he resisted the urge, deciding he would rather savor the little confession Yongguk was making. He simply hummed, hiding his smile in the soft textures of Yongguk's clothes.

 

“Because you made me want to stay up in that cramped cubicle making phone calls to people who don’t give a . Because,“ he felt Yongguk pulled away to face him, “you made me want to have a purpose in my life.”

 

His eyes widened at the confession. Unsure on how to respond to that, mind still processing the words he had just heard, Daehyun’s next move was purely instinctual. He closed his eyes and leaned his face forward, attempting to catch Yongguk’s lips with his, and failing terribly, landing instead on the side of Yongguk face. Faint chuckles poured out from Yongguk’s lips, the breath tickling his face. Before Daehyun could remove his lips, he feels Yongguk slightly shifting his face, his lips, this time, meeting his. Fingers were latched on the scarves at the sides of Daehyun’s face, pulling him closer as the kiss deepened.

 

The cheesy romance novels Daehyun read in his free time did not lie.

 

His toes curled inside his shoes. His body felt airy. Time was frozen. And when Yongguk finally pulled away from the kiss, Daehyun whimpered, lips unconsciously moving forward, trying to regain the magical feeling.

 

“That was my first kiss…” Daehyun lowered his face, embarrassed at his eagerness.

 

“Ohh… I guess I’ll have to be yours for the rest of my life then.”

 

Yongguk’s lips returned, and Daehyun could feel the other man smiling into the kiss, and he smiled too.

 

That did not make sense, but he could get used to this cheesiness.

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Daehyun was not fond of the night. It was scary at night when the light was meager, -- the street lamps doing poorly its job to replace the absence of sunlight -- when the world was but a blank darkness with moving sounds, oblivious to his presence in their busy locomotion, much like they were to his eyes, but at 4 a.m. in the morning, when the street was eerily quiet, and the cold, sharp air of the night served only to heighten the eeriness, Daehyun found himself longing for the boisterous sounds of heedless people to fill his ambience. His heart sank low at the ominous feeling he was having. If he felt helpless at day, he felt completely vulnerable now, his vision almost nonexistent, and there are no oblivious people to scream for help. No Yongguk….

 

He sighed. Contemplating on calling Yongguk, if by lucky chance he was still awake at this hour, Daehyun fished out his phone from the front pocket of his jeans, dialing the number and pressing them to his ear, partially hoping that the man was still awake, because he wa too scared to walk alone in the dark, and partially hoping his call was left unanswered, because he knew how tired Yongguk must have been from all the studying for his upcoming test tomorrow.

 

No answer.

 

The sound of the door creaking open from behind startled him, but he relaxed quickly upon hearing his friend’s cheery voice, turning his body to face the owner of that voice.

 

“Hey, do you want me to walk you home?” his friend asked, voice implausibly cheerful in the wee hours of the morning.

 

He hesitated for a while, knowing his friend had to return to the club to clean up, but that man was quick to approach him, grabbing his arm and muttering "Let’s go!" With reluctance in his steps, Daehyun let himself be guided.

 

“5 street lamps then you turn-“


“The blue house. I’ve walked you home before, remember?” The man responded abruptly. “Hey,” his tone changed, “I’m sorry you have to take this late night shift,” he said apologetically. “That punk thinks it’s cool to bail out on his shift on late notice. Shouldn’t have recommended him in the first place.”

 

The hold on his arm tightened as the man grumbled, huffing insults on the boy who was supposed to be doing the shift tonight. Daehyun merely nodded, occasionally telling the man to no avail that he did not mind. Out of the blue, the man freezed, steps coming to a quick stop.

 

“Oh ! I forgot to lock the door!” the man lamented, muttering a few curses. An abrupt tapping on his shoulder and a promise ‘to be back soon’ after, Daehyun was left alone to listen to the hastened steps of his friend dashing away, stopping momentarily to exclaim "Just wait there. Don't go anywhere, I won't be long," even after Daehyun screamed, pleading him to not leave him there, the sound drowned by silence in no time.

 

Panic began to creep up Daehyun’s skin, his sense of fear intensified by folds at the thought of being there alone, helpless. He silently cursed his friend for taking it trivially how scary this whole thing was for him, alone in the darkness. Deciding to find a landmark to know his location right now, he took out his cane and unfolded them, the cane giving him a meek sense of security. Tracing the ground, he managed to reach the closest lamp, immediately recognizing the lamp to be the one not far from his house upon his gloved finger's contact with a particular prominent dent on the surface. He gritted his teeth, determined to make the remainder of the walk himself.

 

He had just begun to pry away his hold from the pole, when the screeching of tires made him flinch. The swift sound of a car window opening followed, along with the inebriated voices of a few men, giggling and blabbering inaudible words.

 

“Hey, pretty face under the lamp," one of the men slurred drunkenly.

 

Daehyun hurried his steps, not bothering to make use of his cane. He silently prayed that those men would leave him alone, but the clicking sound of car door evinced his unanswered prayer.

 

Amidst his hastened walk, his careless step was met with a bump, immediately sending his body foward onto the ground. Scrambling on all four quickly, determined to escape from those guys, he pushed his body forward for the run, but a yank on his hair pulled him back onto his knees. He felt the man crouching beside him, fingers relentlessly pulling at his hair despite his hissing and pleas to be released.

 

“Tsk. It seems pretty face is deaf too,” the man slurred, breath heavy with alcohol.