March-4-2013

Not a Seoul

 

Blinking rapidly, the eighteen of them could barely take two steps without tripping, compared to the the other six who were swiftly moving across the roof. Eventually as sight returned to them, they quickly walked over to see what they had gathered around: a long, thin ledge about a foot down that over hung into the next buildings yard. From the looks of it, there weren't as many of them over there, and they could probably take them. If they were careful, no one would get hurt or killed during the twenty feet drop down. The tallest of the figures gripped the side of the overhang and carefully lowered them self down; after pacing the length of it several times, they gestured for others to follow.
 
Fifteen minutes later, twenty four people were shuffling carefully across the ledge and round the corner. Suho was amazed, even in this apocalypse he still struggled to keep control over those younger than him, and they were constantly shouting, shoving and once even wrestling with each other to pass the days. Yet here they were, silent and considerately working together. Yes, it was to stop themselves and each other plunging to their horrible messy deaths, but teamwork is teamwork; Suho kept these insistently happy thoughts to himself. Forty eight eyes all looked at the same point- a curious pile of trash on the other side of the fence separating the buildings. Who was going first? Even the hoods looked nervous, if that was possible. Each person shifted their gaze uncomfortably from one person to the next. No one willing to risk it.
 
"So.... this was a bad idea then."

"Shut up Kai."

"What? It's clearly a well thought out and totally genius plan."
 
"SHUT UP!"
 
"Oh calm your ,  Sehun", it was nice while it lasted, thought Suho with a sigh.

"YAH! Our sunbaes are here! Will you two control your language?"

"Be quiet panda face."
 
"Yeah shut up Tao, no one asked you and your panda boxers to get in a twist."

"Don't be mean to Tao, guys. Let's just think this through."

"And no one asked you to get involved either, Chanyeol."

This was getting them nowhere, someone needed to go first and why not Suho? So before he could think any sense into himself, he closed his eyes and leaped. There was screaming, a lot of screaming when Suho opened his eyes. He was alive, he thought, and nothing felt broken; a little bruised definitely, but not broken. He landed on the pile of stuff- it was trash, but it had saved his life. He rolled himself onto his stomach and began standing upright. As if that would happen, he was way too unlucky to be able to get off that easily. Nope, he was Kim Joon Myeon and this had to happen.

After seeing Suho land safely, the black figures leapt off the ledge after him, followed by Kai, Krystal, Sehun and Chen. After that, it was a jumble of people half jumping half being pushed onto the growing pile of people below them; Lay and Kris were last. Kris wanted to go before Lay but since this whole outbreak thing he had seriously manned up a little, but without his medication he didn't know how much longer he could go on. Suho lay there, a huge weight on his back, and an outstretched his hand behind him. He felt around a lot and finally his hand settled on something he could use to pull himself out. As he pulled himself out, he looked up to see what it was: the hooded one whom Kris grabbed earlier, and it was their thigh. As they helped him up, the rest of them began pulling themselves together... Everyone but Lay.

Infected were coming, they weren't paying attention and they'd started to come through the gaps in the fence. They had to move. Grabbing Lay, Kris quickly took off sprinting in a random direction followed by everyone else; they had no idea where they were going but Lay's head was bleeding, and he needed help.They ran through the streets- there weren't many infected but they all simply avoided them until they got to an open front door. Not thinking, Kris ran straight in and up the stairs, once again everyone followed but with more care. The figures looked at each other, three remained downstairs while the others sprinted after Kris and Lay.

As Lay groaned on the dirty bed sheet Kris attempted to stop the bleeding. It wasn't working, for the blood gushed from the tiny wound just north of his right temple. Kris wasn't focused, there was too much blood. This was the first time he saw someone he cared about in so much pain. He just kept staring at Lay's flitting eyelashes. He barely noticed that others had entered the room, and that he was no longer the by Lay's side; it was just Lay, his band mate, his friend, his brother; this was real. He couldn't pretend it wasn't. Xuimin caught this and with the manager, he forced Kris to sit down. It was hours until Lay opened his eyes- until that point the figures didn't stop hovering around Lay. Neither groups spoke with each other, and they sat in silence waiting for him to awake or worse.
 
It was night when Lay came around, and after glancing around the room, he dared to ask a question.

"Can you take off the hoods? You look like death." As the room burst into laughter, the figures began speaking Korean, shocking the room back into silence.

"Sure."

"Well that's nice of you to say."

"After all that time we spent making sure you didn't end up fully retarded, this is how you say hello?"

"Yah, we're still wearing them..."

"Yes, you fool. We never took them off."

"Oh."

As the black fell off the figures, everyone for the millionth time that day froze. 

"Dude," Kai whispered to Beakhyun. "They're girls."

"They're foreign girls", he replied.

"They're foreign girls who speak really good korean",  inserted Chen.

"They're foreign girls who speak really good korean, with candy hair", added Chanyeol with Sooyoung nodding in agreement.
 
"They're my age!", exclaimed Krystal, thrilled for the first time since this whole thing began.

"Yah! I think you're all forgetting the most important thing here", Kai interrupted as everyone turned to see what he had to say a smirk played on his lips, "they're pretty hot."