Chapter 62.

Numbed.

 

 

Saturday; 9 February 2013. 

 

 

 

-----Author’s POV-----

Daehyun sat on the floor outside the ward Yeojin was in, hugging his knees. He blamed himself for not keeping a closer look on Yeojin at the airport earlier on.

It’s all my fault. If I have taken better care of her, she wouldn’t be in this state right now. If I arrived at the scene earlier, maybe her condition won’t be this bad. Maybe, she will still be able to dance. How I wish I can be the one who lost the ability to dance right now. I’m so sorry, Yeojin. I’m sorry that I’m not able to protect you like I should.

The door of the ward opened and Youngjae walked out. His eyes stopped at Daehyun who was clenching his fists tightly with his eyes shut right now.

His heart broke a little, seeing how bad his best buddy was feeling right now. He walked over and sat down beside him, hoping that his company will help a little.

“Youngjae-ah...” Youngjae turned and looked at him slowly, never expecting that he would actually talk to him.

“Hmm?” Youngjae answered while staring at his pale face.

“What do we do?” Daehyun whispered.

Youngjae knew what his best friend was talking about.

“Daehyun, it’s not your fault. Think about it, if you reached there a little later, Yeojin might not even be alive right now.”

Daehyun shook his head gently, “But right now, there isn’t any difference for her. She won’t be able to dance. You should see how she looks like when she’s dancing. She looks so relaxed and confidence when she’s dancing. The smile on her face she has after she mastered a new dance skill, it can’t be replaced by anything else. She won’t be able to accept it.” Daehyun whispered the last part. “How I wish I can be the one that’s suffering all these right now. Why is fate playing such a trick on us? It’s not fun at all.”

Youngjae’s heart broke even more listening to what Daehyun said. He’s losing hope, he’s giving up. The old Daehyun never gives up. But take a look at him now, he’s breaking apart.

At this moment, Youngjae hoped for nothing else other than praying that Yeojin would be more optimistic than him.

Would that be possible? No one knows. Her dream of being the best dancer and singer is gone. Think about how big the impact it would be for her. How can anyone still remain positive after knowing that?

Youngjae lowered down his head and looked away from Daehyun. He didn’t dare to speak a word because he knew that he isn’t any stronger than Daehyun is right now.

He’s so afraid of those negative thoughts that are fighting to take over him right now. What if Yeojin reacts the same way as Daehyun?

Himchan walked out of the ward and caught sight of the two guys sitting down on the floor, looking as if there’s no more hope.

He was always the one who cheered all s up in times of hardships. However, is that still possible right now?

That’s something that he doesn’t know. He wants to ask them to remain positive but how could he when he’s thinking negatively too?

Yongguk... Maybe he knows what to do.

Himchan went into the ward again and motioned Yongguk to step out of the ward for a moment. The first thing that caught Yongguk’s attention was no other than Daehyun and Youngjae.

He looked towards Himchan and he knew that the both of them were thinking of the same things.

Yongguk shook his head and glanced down on the floor. Himchan can’t help but to let out a sigh. Even their leader doesn’t know what to do right now.

“Hyung!” Jongup’s head popped out from the door. Daehyun’s and Youngjae’s heads immediately jerked towards his direction.

“Yeojin... She’s awake.” Jongup spoke slowly.

“You guys go into the ward, I will look for the doctor.” Yongguk rushed off towards the reception counter and Himchan walked over to Youngjae and Daehyun.

“The two of you, get up on your feet right now, wipe that look off your face and get your into the ward.”

Daehyun shook his head and stared on the ground, “I can’t go inside, hyung.”

Himchan opened his mouth to give him a piece of his mind in order to wake him up but Youngjae stopped him.

The two of them spoke through their eyes and Himchan sighed in frustration. He ruffled his hair and went into the ward.

Youngjae took another glance at Daehyun before entering the ward after Himchan.

Youngjae stood a few feet away from the foot of the bed and looked at Yeojin who was currently being examined by the doctor.

“She’s recovering just fine and she has to stay in the hospital for further observations.” The doctor instructed. All of them bowed and thanked him as he left the ward.

Yeojin eyes swept over every single one of them but Youngjae avoided eye contact with her.

“Why are all of you looking so glum?” Yeojin sounded dry and hoarse which made Youngjae felt even worse.

Someone who you care about so much is seriously injured and you aren’t there to save her, who wouldn’t feel worthless?

“Yeojin, we...” Yongguk trailed off. Youngjae’s head snapped up immediately, he knew what Yongguk was going to say.

“Hyung.” Youngjae tried to stop him but Himchan gave him a look. She will know it sooner or later too...

Youngjae’s eyes shifted from Yongguk to Yeojin before finding its way back to the floor.

“What is it?” Yeojin asked.

Youngjae closed his eyes, not wanting to see how she’s going to react.

“You can’t dance anymore.” Yongguk told her directly.

The silence made Youngjae lift his head up.

Yeojin was looking at Yongguk blankly.

“I know.” She muttered and smiled a little.

Youngjae couldn’t take it anymore, he walked towards the door and twisted the doorknob.

“Youngjae, can I talk to you?” He released his grip on the doorknob and allowed his hand to fall back to his side.

He felt a pat on his back and Yongguk opened the door, walking out of the ward. The other members followed behind him.

Zelo closed the door after him and Youngjae stood rooted the ground.

“Jae...”

Youngjae blinked back the tears that were forming in his eyes and slowly walked towards the bed, with his eyes fixed on the floor.

He took a seat on the chair beside the bed and rested his elbows on his knees, eyes still staring at the floor.

“Stop acting like this, please. All of these, it isn’t any of you guys’ fault.”

Youngjae kept silent.

“Yah Yoo Youngjae.”

Youngjae finally lifted his head up and met Yeojin’s eyes. His eyes shifted to her face which was so pale. She looks so weak that as if she might break if anyone touched her. He couldn’t find any words to say right now.

“Where’s Daehyun?”

Youngjae shifted in his chair uncomfortably. “He’s refusing to come in. He’s much worse than me.”

Yeojin let out a soft sigh, “He’s okay, right?”

Youngjae nodded, “I will let you have some rest. We will back tomorrow.” Youngjae said hurriedly and stood up, heading out of the ward.

He couldn’t stand seeing Yeojin in such state anymore, it hurts him so much. He closed the door behind him and walked towards the chair a little unstably.

Youngjae sat down on a chair and leant back, staring into space. Manager Kang who was standing at the corner looked at all of them worriedly.

“Boys, let’s go back and have some rest, okay? We will come back tomorrow.”

No one responded.

“I’m staying here.” Daehyun said without moving a single inch.

“Yongguk...” Manager Kang said, hoping that Yongguk will help to get the rest of the members back to the dorm.

Yongguk slowly rise from the chair and patted Youngjae’s arm. “Let’s go back guys. We will come tomorrow morning.”

Jongup stood up, then Zelo and finally Himchan. Youngjae got up and started walking first. The rest of the members and Manager Kang followed behind.

Daehyun rested his head against the wall stared up at the ceiling.

An hour passed.

Two hours passed.

Daehyun finally got up from the floor and walked over to the door of Yeojin’s ward.

He reached for the doorknob and twisted it gently. The door opened and he went inside, closing the door behind him soundlessly.

Yeojin was fast asleep. Daehyun walked over to the chair beside her bed without making any noise and sat down. He glanced at her face which looks so peaceful right now. 

 

“I’m sorry.” Daehyun mumbled and lowered down his head.

“It’s not your fault.” Daehyun thought he was imagining things so he just brushed it off.

“Yah Jung Daehyun, look at me.” Daehyun blinked several times at the floor before lifting his head up.

Yeojin was staring straight at him and she smiled when both their eyes met.

“It’s not your fault.” Yeojin repeated.

Daehyun shook his head, “It sure is.”

“Daehyun...” Yeojin whispered.

Daehyun shook his head once more and stood up, starting to make his way out of the ward.

Reacting naturally, Yeojin sat up right a little too quickly and rushed to grab Daehyun’s wrist. But she lost her balance and fell of the bed, landing on the cold floor.

Yeojin winced in pain when her elbow hit the floor head first. Daehyun rushed over to her side immediately.

“You okay?” He looked at Yeojin’s face then to her elbow. “Let me help you back up.” Daehyun slipped his arm under Yeojin’s knee and the other around her shoulder.

He lifted her up effortlessly and placed her back onto the bed gently. Yeojin couldn’t keep her eyes of Daehyun.

“Be careful, okay?” Daehyun said while covering the blanket over her. Yeojin grabbed his wrist, making Daehyun look up.

“Don’t go.”

Daehyun saw the tears building up in her eyes and he nodded. He took off his shoes and slipped under the blanket next to Yeojin which caught her off surprise.

He slipped his arm under her neck and pulled her closer towards him. “I miss you, a lot. I thought I wasn’t able to see you anymore.”

Yeojin snuggled closer to him, missing his warmth.

“Daehyun...”

“Hmm?” Daehyun replied while playing with her hair.

“Am I really... Not able to dance anymore?” 

 

Daehyun remained silent, not knowing how to answer her. Is he going to be the one telling Yeojin that she have to give up on her dream?

Yeojin nodded, getting what did his silence meant.

Daehyun held Yeojin at arm’s length where he could clearly see her face. He felt as if someone stabbed him in his heart when he saw a tear drop rolling down from the corner of Yeojin’s eye.

“You still have me, I will never leave you.” Daehyun wiped away the tear from her eye and kissed her forehead.

He rested Yeojin’s head on his shoulder and patted her head softly.                                         

“Go to sleep, everything will be better tomorrow. I promise.”

*****

“Wow, what on earth?” Yongguk stood by the door, staring at the scene in front of him with his mouth slightly opened.

4 other heads popped out beside him. Youngjae smiled foolishly, knowing that everything went well for his best friend last night.

Himchan cleared his throat loudly, hoping to wake the both of them up. To his relief, Yeojin stirred and slowly opened her eyes.

She blinked a few times to adjust to the bright ward and her eyes finally stopped on the 5 guys that were standing by the door.

“Morning, noona.” Zelo chirped innocently.

A wide grin spread over her face, “Good morning, Zelo.”

“Isn’t that brat planning on waking up?” Himchan grumbled while walking over to Daehyun.

He stopped in front of Daehyun and rubbed his hands together with a sly grin on his face.

“Hyung, what are you doing?” Youngjae looked at Himchan weirdly.

Himchan shushed him up and moved his face closer to Daehyun’s.

“Daehyunnie, rise and shine. Himchan oppa is here.” Himchan cooed. The rest of them bit their lower lip to stop themselves from bursting out in laughter.

“Daehyunnieee.” Himchan continued, seeing that there wasn’t any movement from Daehyun. Daehyun’s eyebrows furrowed together and he opened his eyes.

He jumped and leant towards Yeojin. “What the hell, hyung?!”

Himchan snickered and stood up straight, folding his arms across his chest. “Take a look at yourself, you punk. You didn’t even change out of your clothes from yesterday and you are lying beside Yeojin. Disgusting fellow.”

Yeojin chuckled softly and the rest watched in amusement.

“What are you waiting for!? Christmas?! Hurry and get your down from the bed!” Himchan yelled.

Daehyun shot a glare at Himchan and mumbled something incoherent while getting off the bed.

Youngjae walked towards him and handed him a bag. “Your clothes.”

Daehyun took it over from him and muttered a thanks before heading into the washroom to change.

“So, how are you feeling, Yeojin?” Himchan asked while setting down the fruits they brought on the table beside her bed.

Yeojin used her arms and lifted herself up a little, shifting to a more comfortable position.

“Still trying to get used to it.” She said while looking at her legs. Junsu not only hit her left leg with the metal stick but her right leg too.

Himchan glanced at Yongguk, who was standing at the foot of the bed, worriedly.

Yongguk nodded slightly and sighed softly. “You will still be able to walk if you undergo therapy.”

Yeojin smiled a little, “But I won’t be able to dance anymore.”

-----

Update! ^^

ENJOY~

 

 

gif used belongs to its rightful owner!

There's a good news for all my subbies! There will be a sequel for this fic ;) Provided if nothing goes wrong (I hope so.) :D