Chapter 34.

Numbed.

 

Friday; November 9

 

Final exams are starting next Monday, which was 3 days away. I was currently at the library, studying with Youngjae.

"Do you need any help?" He asked while peeking at my pile of Mathematics past year exams. I just hummed in response, I didn't even heard what he said. Youngjae chuckled, knowing how ignorant I am to my surroundings when I'm studying. 

He went back to his History notes and read through them again. 

"But I did it correctly though... Why is it wrong?" I mumbled to myself while scratching my head in confusion. I picked up a pencil and started on the sum again. "Still wrong? Just where did I go wrong." 

I went through all my workings again. No mistakes at all. 

I gave up and lifted my head up to take a look at Youngjae. He had his face buried in his hands and he was mumbling his History essay to himself. I looked at him, wondering if I should bother him. 

"You need help?" His face was still in his hands and his voice was slightly muffled. "Yes!" I replied a little too excitedly. 

He removed his hands from his face and pulled my paper towards him. He extended a palm, signalling for me to give him a pencil. I responded almost immediately and placed the pencil in his palm. 

He started working on the sum while I just looked at him. He looks cute when he's thinking hard. I bit my lower lip to stop myself from smiling. Don't misunderstand me though, I didn't felt that way towards him. It's just that I spent almost everyday with him so I have gotten really close to him over the past month. 

"There." I stared at his cursive handwriting in awe. He got it right! But why was mine wrong? 

"But-" I opened my mouth to question him but he cut me off. "You used the wrong formula, for questions like this, you need to use another way of doing it which requires a different formula." 

I nodded, "Thank you, pabojae." I beamed at him. "I wonder who's the idiot here." He said under his breath. I smiled and drew a star beside the question, so that I would take note of it. 

"Yah." Youngjae called to get my attention. 

"Aish. Yah, Choi Yeojin." I followed the direction my paper was pulled towards to. 

"What?!" I slightly yelled and 'shhs' were heard around me immediately. I lowered down my head a little, embarrassed. 

I turned and found Youngjae who was trying his best to not burst out laughing. "It's all because of you!" I mouthed to him. 

"It wasn't my fault, it was you who shouted, idiot." He mouthed back and stuck his tongue out at me. I rolled my eyes and snatched my paper back from him. 

Hmm, what's this?

I slightly tilted my head, trying to make out the untidy handwriting.

'Yah idiot, I'm hungry. Let's go and have lunch.' 

I looked up and saw Youngjae all packed up, ready to go. I let out a sigh and packed my stuffs. 

"Yah, pabojae, what do you want to eat?" I asked Youngjae when the both of us were out from the library. 

"Fast food?" 

"Never!" I rejected his suggestion at a blink of an eye. 

"Why?"

"It's unhealthy, idiot." 

"Fine, should have expected that from someone like you." He said sacarstically. I scowled at him and the both of us decided to eat a nearby restaurant. Or maybe I decided, oh well. 

*****

 

Sunday; November 11

 

"I'm not doing this anymore." I ruffled my hair in frustration. When I finally realised that there wasn't any reaction from the guy sitting opposite me, I took a look at him. 

He was totally engrossed in his Mathematics paper. I smiled at myself, noticing how alike are we when we are studying. 

I turned around and looked at the table behind us. Jongup and Zelo were already dozing off. 

We were at a cafe, studying. Or maybe just some of us. I stood up and walked over to the two of them. I smacked both of their heads at the same time, causing them to jump up in shock. 

"Noona!" Zelo whined while rubbing the back of his head. 

"Jinnie! What was there for?!" Jongup slightly pouted and rubbed his head. 

"Jongup hyung, aren't you older than noona? Why aren't you doing anything when she just hit you?" Zelo threw an accusing glare at me and I stuck my tongue out at him. 

"I'm used to it anyway." Jongup flashed an innocent smile at me. 

"Hyung, you are so easy to be bullied." Jongup simply smiled at what Zelo said, causing him to shake his head while sighing. 

I chuckled softly, that's why he's a innocent puppy. 

I patted the both of their heads, "Stop dozing off. Exams starts tomorrow!" I nagged like a Mum. 

"Noona, when did you become like Himchan hyung?" Zelo made a face at me. "Yah, Choi Junhong!" Zelo ignored me and flipped open his Science textbook. 

I made a cheeky face at him and walked back to my table. Youngjae had folded his arms across the table with his head resting on them. 

"Yah, Yoo Youngjae." I poked his arm. Why does it feel so warm? 

I placed one hand over my forehead and the other one on his arm. He's having a fever! 

I grabbed his arm, shaking him to wake him up. "Yah! Yoo Youngjae!" He stirred and slowly lifted up his head. 

"What?" He sounded weak. Why didn't I notice that he wasn't feeling well earlier? 

"Erm, y-you..." Why am I stammering?! 

He placed his head back down, ignoring me. Aish, this idiot. 

I stood up and grabbed my phone and wallet before walking out of the cafe. I headed to the nearest pharmacy and bought some pills for cold and a yoghurt drink. I didn't know what Youngjae liked so I picked my favourite drink. 

"Thank you." I thanked the cashier before grabbing the plastic bag and headed back to the cafe. 

I walked back to the table and sat down. I slowly pulled his bag which was lying on top of mine towards me and slipped the plastic bag in. I took my phone and sent a text to Zelo. 

 

To: Zelo

Yah, tell Jongup that we are leaving now. Youngjae is sick and he wouldn't leave the cafe unless the both of you leaves with me. 

 

I placed my phone back on the table and found a piece of paper, scribbling on it hurriedly. 

'Yah, final exams starts tomorrow and you are not even taking good care of yourself!? Take the pills and drink and sleep early. Idiot.' 

I folded the piece of paper neatly and slipped it into the plastic bag in his bag. I packed my things into my bag and slung in over my shoulder. I stood up and walked over to Zelo and Jongup's table. 

"I will go first okay? You guys wake him up and bring him back to the dorm." 

Zelo nodded, "Bye, noona. Be careful on your way back." 

I smiled and nodded back at him. 

"Jinnie, do you want me to accompany you back?" 

I shook my head, "It's okay. I will get going now. Bye." 

I turned and made my way out of the cafe. 

*****

 

Monday; November 12

 

I read through the notes again, the second year students were sitting for our Science exam today. We were in the van, on our way to school. 

"Yeojin, good luck for your exams." Yuna did a fighting action.

I smiled and nodded, "You too." 

I slipped the notes back into my bag and stared out of the window. I wonder how is Youngjae. 

He didn't text me yesterday night, he usually would. I took my phone out of my pocket and stared at his contact. Should I text him? Aish, what's wrong with me? It's just a text. 

My eyebrows creased in confusion. We finally reached school and I went out of the van, after Yuna. I went into my class after wishing the rest of them the best of luck. 

I stopped in the middle of the aisle while heading to my seat. Did I see a tall guy with blonde hair? 

I quickly made my way back to the hallway. Yes, I was right. Zelo was pacing up and down of the hallway with his Science notes in his hands, probably cramming all the notes into his brains at the last minute. 

I guess I shouldn't disturb him. I let out a soft sigh and walked back into the class. 

I sat at my seat, getting ready for the exam when the teacher walked in. Let's go! Fighting, Choi Yeojin! I took a deep breathe in and exhaled, calming myself down. 

*****

It wasn't that bad, right? Or was it bad? 

I knocked my head on the table for the thousandth time, blaming myself for the probability of screwing my Science paper up. 

I buried my face in my hands, trying to stop myself from thinking about the paper. The classroom was already empty now, everyone rushed to the cafeteria to eat. We still have another paper to sit for later - Language. 

I felt something cold touched my fingers and I slightly parted my fingers that covered my eyes so that I could see who or what was it. It was Youngjae and he was holding a packet of strawberry milk in his hands. 

"Is your face that hideous so you are hiding it from me?" He teased. I groaned and removed my hands from my face, letting them fall to my sides. I took a glance at Youngjae and continued knocking my forehead on the table. 

"Yah, if you continue doing that, you will lose every single trace of cleverness you have in your brain. Stop it and drink this." Youngjae placed the packet beside my head. 

I lifted my head and looked at the packet. Sighing, I took it and poked the straw into it. 

"Do you want to talk about it?" Youngjae asked while I sipped on my drink. I shook my head. I can talk about anything, except for the Science paper. 

"Are you feeling better?" I suddenly blurted out. He nodded, "Thanks to the pills you bought. I didn't even know I was sick." He chuckled. I rolled my eyes jokingly, "Now I wonder who the idiot is." I stuck my tongue out at him and smiled when he shot me a glare. 

"Yoo Youngjae, our exam is going to start soon." I turned to where the voice came from and my smile slowly faded away. 

"I will be right there." Youngjae told him and he walked away. I stared at the packet in my hands as if it was the most interesting thing on earth. 

Youngjae cleared his throat awkwardly. "Don't you have a paper to sit for? Why are you still sitting here?" I pretended to not be affected by the sudden appearance of Daehyun. 

"I will talk to you later!" He said and half jogged out of the class. 

So I guess... We are strangers right now? 

I took a last sip of the milk and placed it at the corner of my table. I folded my arms across my table and rested my chin on them. 

It really being misundestood. Especially by the one you loved the most. It hurts, a lot. But there won't be use even if I explained it to you. I'll be leaving anyway. It's probably to leave things the way it is now. Maybe you and I, are just not fated to be together. 

I closed my eyes, shaking all the thoughts away. The thing that I should be concerned of right now is my exams. I can't afford to be distracted right now. 

-----

 

UPDATE! ^^

This chapter was actually longer but I split them into two chapters :D

School ended in the evening today and I'm completely drained T_T

Anyways, 

ENJOY~

 

All gifs used belongs to their respective owners! ^^