When Fate is Being Kind

Pins and Post-its

 

Now you might think that my boy Daehyun is such a clutch and an idiot because he hasn’t really done anything, not even what a friend would do, but lo and behold, Daehyun has finally got hit himself by the shin by common sense and he decided to take the initiative next. Unfortunately, Jongup was held up by Finals. Well, since Jongup’s studying for the Finals why not go to the coffee shop, right? 

 

Well, his group mates thought that they should have a group study at one of their houses so they can use the projector to the maximum, because one of them has a portable projector. They were desperately in need of more than ‘just passed’ grades. And for the week that Daehyun has prepared himself, mentally, emotionally and physically has passed by again without gaining anything.

 

 

 

“Yongguk,” Daehyun called in a monotone. The coffee shop was surprisingly free of clients that afternoon. I popped my head out from the counter, he was sitting at Jongup’s table staring at the post-its stuck on the table and sometimes his eyes would wander towards the corkboard, his fingers absentmindedly taking and pinning them pins at random places.

“Do we still have those sticky notes?”

“No, usually the customers bring them, why?”

Daehyun shrugged. “Just tack them on the board or write on the notebooks,” I suggested off-handedly.

I was curious but I let Daehyun be, I was also disappointed in his lack of everything romantic and a sense of ‘what ifs’ in life. Does he even know his feelings anyway? 

 

Daehyun had scribbled something thoughtfully in one of the guest books before he took his leave, he was going to the university, and since we were kind of dull for the afternoon anyway, I let him. And I can really say Fate can be cruel. Just when I saw Daehyun slid inside a taxi from across the street, Jongup has come waltzing in the door.  And few seconds later I received a text from Daehyun – can you somehow make Jongup get a hold of the guest books. ­– was what it said, I asked why and I received no reply. Well I didn’t need any and I was also determined that Jongup will take possession of the correct guest book and read the right entry.

 

But I need not do anything, Jongup and Himchan came along with new friends and they were as eager and curious as new customers are. They took turns in looking around, reading the entries in the guest books and writing their own messages or jokes. I watched how Jongup would act, he kept on browsing through the guest books. It seems even when they don’t talk with each other they’ve got some connection. Well that just closes everything, right?

 

“Hey, can I have the blue pen?” Jongup asked as he tears a piece of pink post-it from their pad. And after scribbling he pinned in on the corkboard. They talked and laughed and drank iced and hot coffee, whatever it was they ordered and ate cakes before they left.

 

 

 

 

“Did he saw it?” Daehyun asked the following day. I shrugged and told him what happened. “How many friends does this guy have?” muttered Daehyun under his breath as he walks towards the corkboard which surprised me. Although I was happy of the progress, the show of emotion but wow, have Daehyun finally, really finally woken up from his deep slumber and realized that he wasn’t the only one who found Jongup attractive? Daehyun had stayed in front of the board a few minutes before heading inside the counter-slash-kitchen-slash-sink. Did it hit you right on the spot Daehyun, Jongup’s little quotation from one of Miss J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series?

 

 

“Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.” 

 

 

Was what was written in that pale pink post-it note, perhaps Jongup had found Daehyun’s  note, perhaps he didn’t an maybe he’s saying in some indirect way that he’s giving up and moving on or that he’ll be more aggressive this time. Which is it? It could probably be the former, because on the next couple of weeks Jongup had come, he’d barely talk with Daehyun anymore and there had been times that Jongup wouldn’t come, well it had been raining so I’d understand if he’ll want to stay indoors. Talk about push-and-pull.

 

 

*~*~*

 

But I learned, whenever Fate’s cruelty strikes you in some day, it pays you back the good vibes you deserve as well, sooner or later. As for Daehyun, it’s a relief that it came sooner.  

 

Daehyun was about to leave the café again, he had been getting busy lately because of his thesis and his pending graduation. He had already took care of orders and washed dishes and mugs when he sees Jongup coming to the shop. To play around with him I asked, “What are you waiting for, I can do the rest,” innocently so. I see him weigh in his decisions – to cancel and leave out his thesis on this two other group mates, Kyungsoo and Youngjae, well he can be rest assured with Youngjae with the intellectual stuff and Kyungsoo… he can charm whoever they need to have the papers signed or something, or stay and work extra hours.

 

“I won’t be too long,” he finally said and half-dashed towards the door, where he and Jongup met.

“Good afternoon,” he said instantly in that barista-like manner. Jongup, startled, nodded back curtly in reply. “Your shift ended already?” he asked while Daehyun was about to pass by him.

“Thesis,” Daehyun said. “But I’ll be back later I guess,” he added. I could imagine the shock in Jongup’s face. I was shock myself, Daehyun hinting that he’ll come back after leaving early and a half smile from him too.
 

 

 

 

It was around ten already, Jongup has long passed gave up on studying, no he was not yet finished with studying and reading, he claims that this would be one of the hardest ‘block’ as they refer it that he has to bleed for. Because it had been already an hour since Jongup gave up, and an hour since the rain started, Jongup and I have somehow probably talked more than him reading and learning.

 

“The rain isn’t going to stop anytime soon,” I said. Jongup had been looking out the window, sighing and glancing at his watch. He sighed again and gathered his things.

“I think I’ll go anyway, it’s not that heavy of a downpour anymore,” he said as he heaves the pack onto his back. I offered giving him a ride home but he refused the offer. Oh well, I couldn’t force him.

 

Jongup stayed slightly under the shade as he waits for a taxi to pass by and a few minutes after a silver car stopped over. The front seat passenger window rolled down and popped Daehyun’s head out.

“You going home?” he asked. Jongup, surprised and lost for words, nodded. Daehyun cocked his head, gesturing he gets in. “Hop in.”

“Why?” Jongup uttered, dumbfounded.

“Why not?” sarcasm laced in every word and the latch clicked, sounding that it has unlocked.

“Sure?” Jongup asked. Happy but unsure, he couldn’t believe his luck. Daehyun nodded and with a shrug, Jongup slid inside and closed the door behind him.

 

When Daehyun has covered a good distance he asked, “By the way, where do you live?”

Jongup guffawed and could’ve rolled over. Daehyun’s face was flushed with both embarrassment and annoyance. Finally Jongup has settled down, wiping a tear that leaked out from too much laughter.

“You could just drop me off at the next bus stop, I can go from there.”

“No, it’s still raining, it would be faster and better if I take you home, so where is it?”

Jongup was in silent awe then he gave the directions.

 

 

*~*~*

 

“You rarely come nowadays,” Daehyun started the conversation. The traffic had somehow built up even though it was already late at night. “School’s holding you guys up, IU’s been having sleepless nights as well that or she sleeps while reading.”

“Ah yeah, I can’t really wait for summer break,” Jongup stretched out, “Since did you own a car?”

“It’s Yongguk’s,” was the plain answer.

“Yongguk’s?! Then why do you have this?”

“I won it in a bet,” Daehyun said matter-of-factly. “I’ll return it in a week’s time.”

 

The traffic had done them a huge favor. They’ve talked with each other for a quite a time, it was a simple exchange of words, a sort of like catching up on lost time when truthfully, they only needed to step up on their confidence and courage levels.

 

But happy times need to come to an end, and with them barely noticing it, they have arrived at Jongup’s place. “Thanks for the ride,” Jongup said.

“It’s nothing.” Daehyun noticed how the color rose into Jongup’s cheeks when he read a text message and had asked who it was from, he was a bit surprised and had cautiously asked, “You and Yongguk been texting a lot?”

“Not too much, we just exchanged numbers a while ago, I got tired studying so we basically played and chatted,” Jongup replied a bit sheepishly.

“What did he say?” there was a hint of jealousy in his voice, good thing Jongup was distracted enough with the text message that he didn’t notice it.

“Nothing much really, just asking if I got home safely,”

“Didn’t know Yongguk would be the caring type.”

“Yeah, he was kinda worried that you’d bore me to death or something along the line,” he made up a perfectly believable lie.

 

Daehyun hummed in affirmation and had thought more of what to do next, carefully, and not to be obvious he had asked for Jongup’s  number with an equally believable excuse. That night, neither of them could really sleep, Jongup was waiting for a text or call, Daehyun never gave him his number in exchange. Daehyun was debating and punishing himself on what to do.

 

 

It had already been four in the morning when Jongup sleepily answered his silently vibrating phone. “Hello,” he answered in a slur.

“It’s me,” Daehyun said in almost a stutter.

“Me who? If this is a joke then I’m hanging up,” and he was about to when Daehyun blurt out his name. and Jongup was now wide awake, he had sat up straight in his bed.

“It’s four in the morning,” he groaned but his heart was beating too fast. “Dae?” Jongup breathed and rolled his eyes and had started to wonder why he started liking Daehyun as well.

 

“Daehyun, I’m going to come clean,” he said. “I’m gay and I like you and I’m pretty much saying this because I don’t know when I’d get a good time to tell you again, I won’t be visiting the coffee shop soon, I could still text with you or something but yeah, that’s about it I guess, so if you still don’t have anything to say I’m going to hang up okay.” But Jongup didn’t wait for Daehyun to say anything; he was beginning to regret what he’s just said. He wasn’t even drunk but he’s saying weird things.  He buries his face onto his pillows half blaming Daehyun for calling so early in the morning when he wasn’t still so sane yet.

 

Jongup’s phone vibrated again, “What?” now he was getting irritated.

“It’s like Eminem and Doctor Drey,” Daehyun started he takes a breathy inhale. “I love you bro I might be gay,” Daehyun finishes. Jongup slowly sits up.

“What are you saying?”

“I can’t take being just indifferent, I get jealous with every guy who puts their arms around you –”

“We’re just friends Daehyun,” Jongup cuts.

“I know but I still feel that way and its frustrating because I couldn’t do anything else, I’ve got no right.”

“So what are you saying?” Jongup knew but he just likes hearing it, who wouldn’t?

“, I like you and I don’t really know how this works, just well… goodnight then.” And Daehyun hung up. Jongup couldn’t believe what he just heard and whether he was too tired or he was too happy, it wasn’t difficult to get back to sleep.

 

 

*~*~*

 

“What’s wrong with me, I’m suddenly missing something?

I miss the talks, the laughs and just hanging out. It wasn’t too long, it would probably sum up to thirty minutes a week and yet I miss those times. This shouldn’t be it, Feeling is troublesome.

Wherever did my indifference go? I would rather have it back, maybe. It’s easier to handle than Feeling.” 

 

After skimming and scanning I found it. I guess Jongup did read it as well, to have talked about Indifference in his note. Now I'm wondering what Daehyun has written and inserted in that book of Jongup's.

 

 


 

a/n: ummmm.. idk anymore. i dont really understand whats happened. i still hope its understandable OTL. aaannnnddd~ it'll end on the next chapter. it has to. if i want to submit on time XD