When He Snuck One In

Pins and Post-its

 

Whether or not he’s alone, Jongup would come weekly and for the usual purpose – studying out. And just like IU he had silently claimed a spot from the limited number of seats and tables. He had particularly liked the long table perched up on the wall, beside the counter, although this time, it was still bare. It wasn’t yet filled with pastel, detachable colors and scribbles or doodles. 

 

 

 

“God, I’m so tired already,” in a whiny, nearly-depressed voice he sinks into his pad of multi-colored notes and rainbow variation pens and highlighters, oh, and books and notes as well. He had allowed himself to complain verbally because it was almost closing time and most of the customers had already left. Actually, he was the only customer at that time, because the couple who were also there for the same purpose as him had just left.

 

Daehyun leaned forward from the counter, checking up on him, a smirk playing on his lips. “Want another round of coffee, espresso this time,” he mockingly offered. Jongup’s head moved from left to right without moving away and off his pile of papers.

“I can’t afford another one and I don’t think it would really help,” he said, voice muffled. Languorously, he sat up erect and stared against the wall, eyes drooping, and you could just imagine tears streaming down from them. Daehyun had probably envisioned that because he started laughing out loud, oh, he could’ve rolled over.

 

Daehyun leaned forward, the cork board did not yet exist at this time, and grabbed some scrap paper from Jongup’s pile of… depressing remembrance to the sort of reality he has chosen for himself. He tear off two strips vertically and went back up to the counter, took two strips of scotch tape from the stand, then stuck it to each strip. “Come here for a sec,” he said, a playful smile spreading across his face.

Obedient, Jongup silently complied.

 

Daehyun had a toothy smile, appreciating his, what he calls, art and what I call, bullying.  “Suits you so much…” Daehyun muttered before he goes into another fit of laughter.

Jongup pouts and just verbosely sniffed, for dramatic effect.  “Ah, whatever,” he had said, given up on the task at hand, for the night. This sort of thing had become a ritual, but that would be a strong word, rather a habit, to degrade and ask himself about Life. Well, just his life actually. He stood up, took off the makeshift paper tears and walked towards the door saying, “I’m going to the restroom before you close up.” He had his back on the door as he opens it and had almost collided against me.

“Sure, take your time,” I replied instead of Daehyun.  Jongup bowed apologetically before dashing outside, towards the hotel, where the restroom was and to where I had leased the café at.

 

 

I went over the main computer, checking on emails and well, preparing to log-off. It was ten minutes to eleven, almost time to close up, yeah, unlike most coffee shops ours doesn’t open twenty-four-seven. Daehyun had started tidying up as well, taking Jongup’s mug and dish, I guess Jongup ordered sandwich tonight. Technically, Daehyun shouldn’t be doing that, he has to ask the customer’s permission, you know etiquette but I guess, for some reason or another, to Daehyun Jongup has become another IU, though the kind of IU that he bullies a lot less painfully so.

 

“What are you doing?” I asked as something that he did catch my eye.

Daehyun had been scribbling something on one of Jongup’s colorful sticky notes. He ripped, well you know how easily you can detach them, I just think ‘rip’ was a proper term for how he just used something without asking permission.  Anyway, he detached it, replaced the pens he had used to the places where Jongup left them, amazingly he remembered how they were aimlessly, naturally scattered about and stuck the note inside one of Jongup’s books before closing it and going back to the sink-slash kitchen-slash counter.

 

When Jongup came back few minutes later, I was tempted to say something but thought I shouldn’t and just observed how things progress. Yes, progress. Because Jung Daehyun, sadistic as he is, wouldn’t really do something beyond mocking verbally and finding delight in his victim’s reactions. Progress, because Jung Daehyun doesn’t show too much emotion and most of them are skepticism, indifference and sarcasm. Rarely, I mean, rarely does he form attachment on people and usually he doesn’t show it. Whether it’s his nature or a sort of compensatory or defense mechanism, Daehyun doesn’t show off, take his relationship with IU for example. You might think I’m lying, but the truth is, Daehyun cares for his younger sister so much so, it’s just that the is a sadist.

 

 

“Bye.” Jongup said with his usual smile as he waved at us. And when it was only us alone, Daehyun brush pass me and muttered his own goodbye, as indifferently as he could. I scoffed as I watched his retreating form, watched him cross the street. Wow, Daehyun, you thought you could keep something from me? Sorry, but we practically knew each other since primary school so, let me enjoy this, this slight new dot of color mixing up with your stale grey life you live so damn well.

 

 

*~*~*

 

“Oh, Daehyun’s not here,” Jongup said casually when he came to meet me at the counter ordering his ‘usual’ caramel macchiato and crouching a little, looking over our batch of sandwiches and cakes. It had been another week after that first sign of ‘humanity’ from Daehyun.

“School,” I replied off-handedly.

Jongup nodded and shrugged and headed towards his spot.  “Oh yeah, can I have it To-Go?” he asked.

“Sure, no problem.” We had been quite after that, and another customer had come in. I noticed Jongup being a bit busy writing hurriedly yet thoughtfully.

 

Less than five minutes I went to his table and brought him his coffee. “You going somewhere?” I asked, I didn’t mind if I was friendly with a customer in front of other customers I was the owner anyway.

“Yeah, I can only stay for thirty minutes max, I’m going to watch that new movie with some friends.”

“Which one, the Twilight one?” and I can’t help but cringed away. Jongup hummed in affirmation as he slowly blows off on the coffee to cool it down a little. “Why?” and I can’t hide the disgust in my voice.

“It’s the last installment of the franchise, and they say it’s good.”

“Because Jacob is so hot,” I said, mimicking, hopefully, how es or blondes would’ve said it. Though I ain’t dissing on blondes, but you know how we stereotype on people, okay you could label it mimicking how gays talk, their gay accent.  Jongup laughed and a few of the customers did too and had immediately agreed to the statement.

 

For a moment everyone was saying things about the movie, all because I started it as a joke, good thing no one killed me for not being a fan of it.

 

 

True to his word, thirty minutes later, Jongup headed out of the coffee shop with the coffee cup on hand. Mechanically, I bid him goodbye before going back to taking care with the dishes.

 

 

 

“Sir,” I heard a customer say. She was standing at ‘Jongup’s’ place with her boyfriend no less. I leaned from the counter to get a better view of them. She was pointing at a small piece of pastel blue paper stuck on the light green, probably lime, colored wall. Huh? Since when did it get there?

“Can we really stick notes here?” her eyes lit up in a sort of excitement.

“Yeah,” I said warmly, “It’s a new thing we thought of. Like…” I paused searching for the right words, “The movie ‘Message in a Bottle’ but this time, it’s on a sticky note. I don’t know maybe it won’t click.”

“Are you kidding? I think it’s cute,” she almost jumped from excitement. “I think it brings out a sort of warm, cozy feel.” And she starts to talk animatedly with her boyfriend.

 

Then next thing I know aside from what Jongup left behind, there were three others more. I could only safely assume it was Jongup who left the first note, because he was the last person to sit there, and he was doing something, and he’s the only person with a pad of sticky notes. I was just thankful that I have a few yellow ones tucked in somewhere, and God knows how I had them in the first place.

 

 

 

Great place Stay Calm Café. One note read.

Stay Calm and listen to good music. Another said. And the other one was a cartoon of a coffee.

And Jongup’s read, The Depressed was here. Thanks for the meal.

 

 

Thanks for the meal, huh. Thanks for the idea too, Jongup, I should tell him that the next time he comes. I wonder if Daehyun knows, if Daehyun noticed but I’ll let it settle on for a few more weeks and see how things go. But I’ll just tell you I didn’t made a joke about Jacob Black for no reason. I heard the door chime rang and in came Daehyun. Should I tell him or hint a little?

 

Let me think.

 

No, I guess I shouldn’t. This is one of those scenarios where you learn by experience and I’m having fun watching it like a drama series I only get to see weekly.

“You’ve got a message on the wall,” I called out nonchalantly.

Daehyun moved to the wall I mentioned and read the notes. “Has IU been here again?” he scorned, a devilish grin on his face.  I just shrugged in response. I think I would laugh out loud if I had said anything.

 

Daehyun. Daehyun. Daehyun. You might as well wear a mask if you want to hide that grin you wish meant your usual cruel smirk when it’s actually a giddy smile laced with sweet innocence.

 

 

*~*~*

 

Chocolates are always good for the depressed ones. Buy it here.

 

The note had read and a devilish smiley face too. This was a new note which I read the morning after. I could just goofily grin from awe or from pride that Daehyun has left an almost sappy note as a reply and a clever way of advertising the café.

 

 

Now you reader or readers, and hopefully it’s the latter, might think “Oh my gosh! This is where the lovey-dovey, super cuteness, toe-cringing, and just rainbows all over, I’m gonna die!” Let me tell you a secret and you’re really going to die about it. Now imagine Bang Yongguk sharing a conspiratorial smirk with you.

 

 

 

 

 

No. Nothing of that happens.

 

Really! I you not.

 

None of those flowery meadows and rainbows and fluffy clouds and drowning hearts and cupids! Because Jongup hasn’t come to the coffee shop for three weeks now?! What the happened to him? He couldn’t have died right? I mean, I was beginning to enjoy bright, happy, smiling Daehyun, Daehyun who smiles for the world’s benefit and not for his sometimes sick sort of fun.

 

Three weeks. Jongup had not shown up for about three weeks now. And that wall that only had Jongup’s note was now half-filled with other colorful small papers with different sorts of contents – follow me at this social website and that, add me here and there and so on and so forth.  But there was still only one from Jongup. Daehyun acts indifferent but he was actually curious if not worried. I can feel or I want to assume that Daehyun misses Jongup’s presence.

 

Once a week, when IU would come, Daehyun would have this look in his eyes, and his mouth would twitch as if wanting to say something but couldn’t. His eyes, no matter how aloof he looked like physically, once or twice when I happen to glance at him I noticed how his eyes would’ve a hint of hope whenever the glass door opens and the door chime rings announcing a customer or customers’ arrival but never the one person he wanted to see.

 

 

Then maybe they weren’t suppose to meet again. And maybe I’m telling you a different couple’s love story. Well, to begin with, I think Daehyun’s straight. I’ve never seen him being attracted emotionally, physically, spiritually, ually to anyone from the same before and had seldom voiced out his interest in this woman or that for all the beautiful shallow, physical appearance that might’ve shrouded a hideous monster instead.  

 

 

 

Two months, one week and five days since Jongup and Daehyun’s path has crossed. Four weeks and a day since they last talked with each other and the short convo post-it. The coffee shop, our business has been doing exceptionally well and Daehyun…

 

 

 

“Are you hiding from me?” Daehyun muttered a bit near threateningly as he grab hold of the collar of the man younger than him for about a year who was caught crouching and hiding behind a stack of cute, cuddly teddy bears at the department store.

Jongup’s neck twisted painfully slow and his head tilted so he could clearly see Daehyun. “Oh, hi Daehyun!” he said in the most awkward casual acting so far. “Fancy meeting you here,” he added.

“Hi Jongup,” Daehyun replied curtly. “Did you drop something by chance?”

Jongup bit his lower lip from trepidation. “Huh, y-yeah, I’m here with a –”

“Yo, Jongup,” someone called and had moved to where they were. “Hurry up or we’ll leave you behind.”

Daehyun immediately let go of Jongup’s collar. Jongup scrambled to his feet and close to the person as he spat blundering apologies.

 

“Himchan this is Daehyun, Daehyun, Himchan,” introduced Jongup. “He’s the leader of our group,” he added hurriedly and wished for a moment he could’ve bit his tongue just then. He needn’t actually introduce and he hated himself for being obviously awkward.

 Himchan held out a hand to which Daehyun took the time to scrutinize over before he accepted it wryly.

“IU’s evil brother Daehyun?” Himchan said looking quizzically and unsure.

“IU told you,” Jongup said. Himchan rolled his eyes before he draped an arm around Jongup’s shoulder, trapping him, getting ready to drag him away.

 

“Well it was nice to meet you, but we’ve got research to do, boys to catch,” Himchan announce almost like a yawn and had joked with a straight face. Jongup’s, however, looked taken aback and aghast.

“What the !”Jongup muttered. But Himchan just smiled goofily and unfazed as he pushed Jongup away from Daehyun and towards the bus.