Aftermath

You're the ONE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Aftermath"

Taecyeon's POV

"So, you really didn't bring your car?" Yoonah asks, as we walk together, off the school grounds.

"Nope," I grin. "Did you think I was making it up?"

"Well... no, I just thought you were trying to get rid of Chansung."

I let out a short laugh at her words, mostly because of their accuracy.

"Though that's something I would've done, no," I shrug, inhaling the cool air. "You mind walking?"

I walked when I could, mostly because I live pretty close to the school, and I didn't mind the fresh air. But I hadn't betted on having company. I guess I assumed she would go home with her family, but I would've brought the car to drop her home otherwise.

"Aniya," she smiles, inhaling as well, and we both look at the dimming sky, the sun almost down, marking the the conclusion of the academic year.

She's quiet for a while and I consider in the silence. She's tired, it's been a long day and her front has yet again broken down. It's happening more and more around me any way, but I can feel how comfortable she is right now. I glance at her, back in her normal clothes after having insisted she was uncomfortable in the theatre clothes. She'd also scrubbed most of her makeup off, and her glowing skin emphasised her features as I admire.

"You were flawless today," I speak finally, looking away.

"You weren't too bad yourself," she replies off the bat, and I laugh again.

"No, really, you are talented. And you looked like you were having fun."

"Thank you oppa," she smiles at me, and I see that she truthfully values the praise, more than just a light compliment. I put this together with what else I've learnt about her which shows she really is insecure. Almost like she's lacking encouragement.

Which brings me back to the question of why she's alone now.

"Yoonah," I begin, choosing me words carefully. "How come your family aren't chasing us down the road and demanding I return their daughter?"

My words are light - I'm not stupid, I know family is a sensitive topic - but out of the corner of my eye I see her face fall. I regret my words quickly, but don't take them back. She lives with her mother and sister, never mentioning her father so I assume he's out of the picture. I've tried to approach the subject before, but it makes her down.

"They didn't come," her voice suddenly a lot quieter.

"They didn't?" I slip up in my tip-toeing as my shock overtakes everything else.

This was pretty much the graduation of our year, and nearly every parent attended.

"They don't care," she speaks lightly, her gaze straight ahead as she walks on.

I'm not sure how to respond, so I stay quiet, instead reahing for her hand and squeezing it. The gesture seems to be enough as she immediately looks over to me, before giving a small smile.

"Remember how, after our first date I told you about my situation?"

I nod, remembering her vague words concering her situation. She had basically given me a get out claus, which confused me completely.

"This is the situation. My home isn't a home; it hasn't been since my dad left when I was 10. My mum barely goes out or talks to me and I'm lucky to see my sister once a month. I stay in my room, but it's so hostile. Guess he really left a scar."

My mind is racing as she speaks, so matter-of-fact and yet her words are pained. I try and understand how a bright happy girl like Yoonah could keep this front up.  Of course, I knew something was wrong, and I knew she wasn't happy the more I saw of her, but to be isolated where she's supposed to be loved?

"I'm sorry Yoonah. I should've known before."

Guilt is the next thing that hits me. I've been seeing Yoonah for some time now, but I've never pushed the subject.

"Not your fault," she states, sighing as she looks down. "I try to keep it out of my relationships. I'm the one who shut you down everytime you came near to it."

"But why?" I pull her back to stop walking as I pick something out in her words. "Why wouldn't you want me to know?"

"I..." she looks guilty as she meets my gaze. "I don't know. I don't offer things up; it makes you dependent."

"Thats why I'm here," I shake my head. "You're supposed to be able to depend on me."

"No, that's not your burden."

"Of course it is," I work to keep my voice soft. "That's what a relationship is, it's what it means to be a boyfriend."

"And how does that apply to us?" her words shoot ot fast, and I almost see relief on her face as she speaks them, and I freeze.

"What?"

"Us," she repeats. "When did we become that? I can't open up, it's too hard when I'm not sure of what I mean. I could be a pass time, or even a meaningless date. But how do I know? How can I tell you anything and be sure you'll stay?"

And in the fading day light, I see as Yoonah makes herself vulnerable. There's fear in her eyes and I know she'd take it back if she could, but not because she didn't mean it. Because, like she said, she'd opened up just that bit more than she intended. Her fears were laid out in front of me.

There's silence as I try and form the words, but truthfully I have nothing. In the past, in fact ninety percent of the time, things for me are easy. I go with the flow, certainty or not certainty, labels or no labels. I've never needed the reassurance because I've never taken things heavily. But as I see Yoonah now, I can see how that would be instability. Of course she means something to me, in my mind we were past that. But as she tetered on the edge, between risking the uncertainty or assuming the best and risking being hurt, she was suffering.

"Mianhae," she almost whispered, her eyes glazing over after a few moments. "Forget it... but maybe I should go home first."

She turns away, and continue to struggle in my search for what to say, stuffing my hands in my pockets.

C'mon Taec, don't let her walk away... say something.

But words aren't make strong point - part if being loosely strung. Immediately, my fingers find a foreign material, and I frown, distracted as I remove it. I stare at the plastic bag, understanding hitting me as I look back at my jacket - it was the one I wore on our first date. And I bought a souvenir.

"Yoonah!" I call, jogging to catch up quickly, as she turns, surprise etched into her features.

"Taecyeon..."

"This is for you," I pass her the bag, any other words failing me.

She looks confused, but takes it, removing the necklace from the bag, her eyes widening as she realises what it is.

"From our first date..." she murmurs.

"I went back for it."

Her eyes meet mine as I speak, both intrigue and wonder clear.

"Yoonah, I'm not good with words or formalities, or scenes in general," I fight the urge to end the awkwardness, instead meeting her gaze as I take her free hand. "But I know how I feel about you. I always have Yoonah, and it was stupid of me but I kinda forgot you didn't... It's easy when we pass through so much and I'm sure about you, to forget that I should say it."

She looks down again, her eyes on the necklace, a mixture of embarassment and touched. I could leave it here but I won't, this has been enough of a wake up.

"Hey," I tap her chin so she looks back up to me. "In spite of my cluelessness, I really do care about you and it's my bad here-"

"It's fine," she cut my short, quietly. "I'm a little over sensitive-"

"It's my fault," I confirm. "I should accomodate."

I bring her hand up, holding the necklace and gesturing to it. I trace the engraving before looking back to her.

"Love... happiness..." she remembers, squinting at the text.

"And freedom," I finish. "I want to give you it all."

It made a lot of sense why this necklace caught her eye, now I see. It's all she wants - to be happy, loved... and free from where she's stuck. Her home. And I know I have to help her get there. She looks at me again, and somewhere in my mind I know I usually would've cringed myself out of this before, but in her presence it all fades away.

"Yoonah, I love you," I don't realise the words slip until they do, but I know they're true, as her eyes widen. "And I'll make you happy, I promise, if you give me a chance. Another I mean, as my girlfriend. If you'll take me."

I made a face as I said the last bit, still surprised I hadn't picked up on her discomfort.

"Taecyeon..." her eyes well up and I immediately flinch - I'm not good with tears. She looks so small, and I want to hide her away in that moment.

"Mianhae, mianhae," I hug her quickly, and she buries her head in my jacket, her breathing low.

"I love you too," she murmurs after a moment, and I freeze, pulling her back and meeting her gaze, my hands on her shoulders.

She smiles, but I can see clarity in her eyes.

"I love you too Taecyeon. And I'm sure, even if you are the first guy to hear those words," she grins and I can see her former-confidence coming out again. "So you better live up to it, boyfriend."

My grin widens and I take her hand again.

"Sure, girlfriend," I grin, the words feeling more natural any way, taking the necklace from her.

I help her put it on, and she smiles down at it.

"We should probably get moving... I should go home..." her mood is visibly lowering as she speaks, and I frown.

Imagining her going back to the house, I'm instantly adverse. After what she's said, about the hostility there, I can't image leaving her to be stuck in her room, all alone. Not when I know the vulnerability under teh brave face. I want to take her away from it, but how? My gaze suddenly caught by the necklace again.

Freedom...

"Wait," I hold her back as she starts to walk. "I said I'd give you all three, and I meant it."

My mind races as she looks at me curiously.

"You don't want to be in that house," I state.

She takes a second, her eyes glazing and reglazing before she replies, quiet like a confession.

"No," she murmu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter