Crescendo - part 2

You're the ONE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Crescendo" -part 2

UPDATE! So for some reason, this chapter remained hidden even though I published yesterday... It's now visible, sorry for the confusion yesterday!

Nobody's POV

"So, this whole me, you've been datng?"

"You actually hid this?"

"YAH YOU SNEAKY KIDS!"

"Yes, yes and shut up Taec," Minjun grinned widely, as he relaxed in the dressing room with 10 unamused friends, nudging the uncharacteristically quiet Chaerin. He for one was quite enjoying the surprise of their friends. Sure, they hadn't planned to tell them till the end of the showcase, but that had changed when they were caught red handed almost half an hour ago, and no one had shut up since.

"I mean, I guess we knew, but we didn't know know," Yoonah sighed dramatically as if that made much sense, from her seat next to Soeun.

Chaerin grew increasingly red as everyone continued teasing and asking questions, and Qian finally stepped in.

"Okay everyone tone it down," she shook her head, before turning her eyes on Chaerin. "At least we know now, right?"

The others murmured in agreement.

"Your performance was great unnie," Jieun commented, and everyone agreed.

"Especially with the added chemistry," Junho spoke up, not being able to deny the opportunity as the guys all sniggered, Jun only shrugging.

"Can it tool," Chaerin muttered, though she was quite obviously beaten on this occasion.

"Everyone did great," Qian expressed. "But stay focused guys, not long left until Seohyun's stage."

"Neh~" the girls chorused, everyone relaxing.

"Who wants more snacks?" Qian needn't have asked as everyone agreed quickly.

She grinned, turning her attention to her bag as she fumbled with her belongings, throwing a few packets of chips and drinks out, as Chansung revealed his own stash of post-performance food. A buzzing caught her attention and she glanced back to her bag as she flopped down with the others, taking a seat on the empty chair as the others dug in.

"So," Junho grinned, opening a packet of chips and sitting back. "Officially Chae-Min."

There was a series of protests, mostly from Chaerin as she cringed at the nickname. But as she side-glanced Minjun, who just chuckled, throwing an arm around her, she knew she was happy they were open now.

The rest broke off into group conversations, and Qian chuckled settling down and staying out of it for a while.

"Was Lian there?" Nichkhun asked, at her side.

"Yeah," she nodded, glancing down to her phone. "I think I saw her at the end, but the lights were bright. I should text her."

Her face changed, her expression confused.

"What?"

"It's Yunho," she turned her screen to face him, displaying the four missed calls she had from up to an hour ago.

"Weird," Nichkhun nodded. "Wait, didn't Yoonah say he was looking for you."

"Your teacher?" Taecyeon butted in, over hearing from the couch opposite. "We saw him leaving when we came off stage."

The three exchanged looks.

"He didn't text," Qian nodded. "Maybe he had to leave early..."

Nichkhun shrugged, turning his attention to the scrren atthe front of the dressing room, which showed teh now empty stage.

"He'd have been proud; I still can't believe its over."

"No more dance for you," Qian smiled, seeing the relief on his face, even as he shook it off. "What a gift."

"I wouldn't say that," he smiled. "I'll miss it."

And they both knew he wasn't talking about the routine as they chuckled, turning their attention the the rapidly disappearing pile of snacks.

Across the room, Junho sunk to a chair. He wasn't entirely sure how he was so exhausted, just from being in the sme room as a certain someone, but he was.

"Do something."

Junho didn't look up to greet him, staying fixed on one particular face. Of course he knew what he meant, as the subject of his focus played with the script in her hands, talking to her friends. Everyone was jolly and smiling, except in this dark corner.

"Seriously," Wooyoung sat next to his lost looking friend. "You've been staring at her since I got here. Stewing over it for longer. You have to do something."

"I tried," Junho pretty much sounded how he felt; defeated. "What else can I do?"

"Tell her."

This comment got his attention; he turned to his friend with a frown.

"What?"

"You have to tell her," he argued. "You said you've done everything else so what do you have to lose?"

"She won't accept."

"She doesn't even know," Wooyoung was tiring quickly. "Let her have the choice. You'll regret it if you don't."

Junho sighed, mulling it over. He wasn't sure he could get more miserable, and Wooyoung had a point. He as quickly becoming the lead in a sappy drama and he wasn't sure how much longer he'd let it go on.

"Soeun?" A knock on the door had them turning around, interrupting the conversation.

She stood as the door opened, revealing some guys face. Most people ignored him, but Junho's gaze stayed focused on them as Soeun smiled and greeted him, before waving to the others and disappearing momentarily.

"See," Wooyoung followed his friends gaze. "You'll regret it."

Junho's mind raced, but he didn't move. Was it possible?

* * *

Chansung watched from backstage as the music began. The intermission had flown by, mostly with people attacking Chaerin and Minjun between relaxing; Chansung wasn't very surprised with sudden romantic outbursts any more. In fact, he was feeling the mood himself, as he watched Seohyun's stage. She turned slightly before her part began, her eyes searching for where she had left him just moments ago. He sent her a side smile, seeing through her bubbly front that she was nervous. They had only just managed to get rid of the others; in which they were literally chased off by staff. Backstage was a lot calmer now than a minute ago, but they had all managed to wish her good luck before being shooed off.

"The twinkle, twinkle, the twinkle, twinkle~"

The music was upbeat and energetic. Chansung could immediately tell Seohyun didn't have much to do with the concept; it was far more divaish than he would've expected. Sparks flew on stage, strobe lights and disco balls, it was all show stopping. However, she thrived under it. As her lines came, she slipped easily into character, working the stage like a real performer. She joined the other girls in the centre, as they grasped the audience's attention. It was both stunning and confusing to see her in this role, where she didn't seem like the naive Seohyun. But as she turned, sending him a subtle smile, he knew she was enjoying it regardless. Her voice was easily manipulated to the harsher style, and he quickly fell for her stage presence, forgetting the others on stage.

His biggest worry, was his fellow students going starry eyed as they watched.

The curtains drew all too soon, and the lights out.

It didn't take long for Chansung to find her, as she came skipping towards him, her eyes bright as she smiled. Her dress was enough, the sequins catching what little light there was and making her radiant, even more so.

"You were great!" he grinned. "Unnie's style?"

"Definitely, but it was fun," she smiled widely, bouncing up and down as she hugged him. "Omo, it's done!"

"Yes," Chansung grinned widely at her flushed cheeks. "You can relax."

"Hyunnniiiiiieeeee~" the pair from her group skipped over, wide smiles on their faces as they hugged her, all but ripping her from Chansung's side.

"It was so much fun! You did great!!!"

The three of them bounced around, before finally pausing, the two new girls turning their gazes to Chansung with a giggle.

"My group mates," Seohyun explained, as Chansung waved. The two just whispered together, before waving back.

"Um..." Chansung scratched the back of his neck, the girl studying him.

"Hyunnie," one of them called. "We'll leave you two be."

"Oh..." her expression phased, and she looked from them to Chansung. "Yes unnie."

She giggled, waving before disappearing with her friend.

"What was that about?" Chansung asked awkwardly, aware of the distinct change in atmosphere.

"Umm," she bounced on the spot again, an action which made Chansung almost chuckle at her adorableness.

"Seohyun?"

"They," she avoided his gaze. "Well, I guess they saw us together a lot, but that was nothing, its more..."

Chansung guessed the direction quickly, his smile threatening to show.

"I want... need to talk to you..."

"About?"

She held their interwined hands up.

"What this means."

It was a deeper answer than what Chansung was expecting, but he understood it all the same.

"It can mean whatever you want it to mean, if and when you want it to," he smiled, but his nerves were showing up again as he thought it through, showing in his muddled words. "But it's up to you."

More than confused, he was cautios. He wanted to go at her ace, so as not to scare her off, but it was also pretty new to him.

"I-I want it to mean something," she nodded. "I know it didn't start like this, but I know how I feel about you... and I'm not a fan of no-label things. But I want to keep us, officially."

The admission was paraphrased, but she didn't leave his gaze as she spoke. Chansung was only silent for a second, his smile quickly returning. She pretty much did all t

"Then you should know I feel the same."

His smile was mirrored on her face, and he lifted their hands, pressing a soft kiss to hers.

"So I guess that's that."

* * *

"Where were you unnie?" Jieun asked, not hald an hour later, as the two linked arms backstage.

She hadn't seen her since her stage, and she'd only just shown up ten minutes ago to drop Jieun off to hers. Chansung had returned with her, and from their expressions, everyone knew they weren't confused any more. 

"Just... talking," Seohyun smiled, confirming Jieun's hunch. "... officially."

"I'm happy for you unnie," she cheered, wide smiled. 

"Me too," Chansung piped up, arriving at Seohyun's other side.

"And me!" Junho smirked, just a second before Wooyoung all but shoved the two guys out of the way.

"Did they really all have to come?" he groaned, wrapping an arm around Jieun.

He was pretty sure the whole crew would've tagged along, if the staff member hadn't insisted that backstage was too chaotic to handle much more; not to mention Soeun and Yoonah being called to practise, again. The rest had wished Jieun good luck and Wooyoung had managed to sneak Jieun and Seohyun out... failing to remember she was part of a package deal, as of late.

"Seohyun unnie did," Jieun nodded. "And that means Chansung is a mandatory... and Junho-"

"- Is Wooyoung's lost wingman," Chansung piped up, earning an elbow from Wooyoung.

"I was bored," Junho shrugged, smirking at Wooyoung's effort.

Wooyoung just stared at the two of them, shaking his head.

"You'll be great," Seohyun shook her head at the boys.

"She's gonna be awesome," Wooyoung nodded, and Jieun met his gaze with a smile, and they were allowed just a second before their back-stage interaction was crashed.

"Yes she is," Junho piped up. "As long as our Wooyoungie here let's her go. Good luck kid."

He rolled his eyes at them, ushering them away as the stage began to change.

"Omo, it's your cue! Go and shine Jieunnie; you have got this, remember what Qian said."

Jieun gulped, nodding along to Seohyun's words as she hugged her quickly before disappearing, and leaving just Wooyoung. Suddenly, it was too quiet. Even this morning, she was panicked as she thought of this moment, but it had come all too soon. Was she ready?

"Jieun," he got her attention as he saw her eyes darting back and forth. "Look at me."

She obeyed, her heart racing. Her first stage. All those eyes. Her parents in the audience.

"You've got this," Wooyoung spoke firmly, pointing to the stool in the centre of the stage and the guitar that rested next to it. "You've done it a million times. It's your strength Jieun. The set up is just the same, you can't see the audience, not that any of them will be able to look away from you. But that's where you belong."

She gave a small smile at his words, admittedly feeling a lot more relaxed. He was right; she was comfortable with this, and it was time to show everyone else.

"Komawo Oppa," she gave him a short hug, to which he chuckled.

"Go and wow them. I'll be waiting right here."

* * *

Jieun's POV

With careful steps I make my way on to the stage, staring down at my white ballets. It feels foreign, empty even. As I walk, the curtains begin to draw, as per the stage directions, and a surreal feel sets in; I have the urge to turn right around, but I supress it.

I can do this.

But with each step, I'm feeling more and more on edge. The silence is loud. Wooyoung's right, but I can't seem to make my body understand that as I feel out of place. I want it to be my usual, alone in my bedroom practising, but it's not. Iknow that this will determine everything next. Their reaction, my performance... His reaction. And there's another worry.

The song - is it too obvious?

It has to be, especially as it is to me.  But its too late to worry about that as I walk past the back up instruments, hidden in the shadows. My eyes stay focused on the set up; a single chair and my microphone, along with a smaller one for the guitar. It's the only familiar thing, and I silently thank the dress rehearsals for that.

Don't look at the audience.

Nervously tucking a stray hair back as I reach my chair, I sit down, automatically reaching for my guitar and setting my position, and instantly I feel more comfortable. It didn't take much for me to persuade my teacher to let me use my own guitar; she was willing to do whatever ensured I went up tonight. She'll be watching intently, as will my parents for the first time. My eyes go up to the audience, as the lights dim slightly, giving a soft setting and I scan the chairs. I can see faces, hundreds of them staring at me. My eyes fall to the guitar as my heart hammers in my chest. I hear the count in from the track, and the muscians start the build up. At the sound of the music, my eyes flutter close and I move to the familiar tune, the hammering lessening in my chest.

As my cue sounds, I reach for the strings, picking softly as I follow the other instruments to perfection, my hands moving like muscle memory. The lyrics begin and I inhale, moving towards the microphone as I sing naturally.

(IU's Peach x)

"Jakku nuni gane hayan geu eolgure
Jillijido anha neon wae

Seuljjeok useojul ttaen na jeongmal michigenne
Eojjeom geuri yeppeo baby~"

The words have left before I can think about it, but as soon as I do, my eyes fly open again. The audience is settled, as they all stare at me, but my mind takes me away quickly, to when I sat in my room writing this song, singing it. The inspiration. I can only see one face as I start the next line.

"Mworalkka i gibun
Neol bomyeon maeumi jeoryeoone ppeogeunhage

O eotteon daneoro neol seolmyeonghal su isseulkka
Ama i sesang mallon mojara

Gaman seo itgiman haedo yeppeun geu dariro
Naegero georeowa anajuneun neo~"

I pause, inhaling softly and opening my eyes for the song break, focusing on the guitar and instrumental. My gaze is pulled to the side as I do so, and I see him.

Before I met him, I didn't have it. I couldn't write a song about love or sing with true emotion. But that's changed. As he smiles at me adoringly from the shadows, encouragement all over his face, my mind isn't full of the onlookers, the stage or even the teachers and parents. It's full of him.

"You know he’s so beautiful
Maybe you will never know
Nae pume sumgyeodugo naman bollae"

My gaze falls from him as I sing the lyrics, and I feel my face flush at the meaningfulness - he definitel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter