A New Day

You're the ONE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"A New Day"

 

PART 2 OF DOUBLE UPDATE:

Nobody's POV

"… But my rap definitely made it."

"Of course, the whole things was great."

"I loved the theatre act the most. It's a shame we had to skip through it."

"Yeah, I can't believe that performance rehearsal took four hours," Soeun finally huffed, checking her watch. The rehearsal had just finished, and the ladies and the gentlemen walked out together, surrounded by the other students. It was rare to see so many students here at this hour, but it gave the whole student body a sense of excitement. And this group wasn't an exception.

They chattered excitedly about the rehearsals, complimenting each other as well as gushing about the evening, before their excited voices became mellow.

"So girls," Minjun piped up as the two groups, or one large one depending how you looked at it, walked up to the school gates. "Are you planning on coming in tomorrow?"

All eyes flickered over to Qian, who was walking quietly with the group. None of the girls, and not really the guys either, had let Qian out of their sight for long through the day. Someone was always with her, it was a silent agreement that whoever was would support her, whether that meant quiet, or constant conversation. Each of them had done their share, even the guys. Everyone was worried.

"Um," Soeun cleared . "I don't think we're coming in tomorrow. I think everyone agreed a day out, right Qian Unnie."

She looked up as her name was spoken, a faint smile appearing on her face as she prepare to speak.

"Yeah we did. You all deserve a break; your performances were amazing. Especially you Jieun-ah," Qian smiled softy, whilst Wooyoung squeezed Jieun's hand. It hadn't been ideal; the rehearsal had been quiet hectic. Due to the timings, they had mostly missed each other's performances in between changing in and out of costumes, but they caught snippets here and there.

"I cant believe I missed it," Wooyoung groaned.

"It's fine," Qian smiled. "It'll just make it that much more on the day."

Wooyoung locked eyes with Jieun, as she melted under his gaze.

"That's true. But I only see her at her best anyway."

Jieun blushed heavily, whilst Junho fake puked next to them.

"But tomorrow unnie," Yoonah called. "What shall we do?"

"We should go out," Seohyun agreed.

"About time," Chaerin grumbled. "A movie sounds good."

"Sounds good," Taecyeon piped up. "Where and when."

"We're in," Junho agreed.

"Hyungs," Chansung rolled his eyes, before turning to Seohyun, but directing his words at them all. "Excuse the old hyungs. If you don't mind, may we join you?"

"Uhm, huuh," Seohyun stuttered, her eyes widening at the intensity of Chansung's eyes, leaving the others silently giggling and nudging one and other.

Nichkhun side glanced Qian, checking her expression. He didn't want to push her, not yet. To his surprise, she chose that moment to turn to the others.

"Yes," Qian spoke up, with a smile. "I think that's a great idea."

"Yesss," Chansung fist pumped, hoping he was discrete whilst side glancing Seohyun.

"Me too," Minjun agreed, sneaking a smile at Chaerin. "I think we all deserve a chance to wind down."

The group chorused in happy cheers.

"Damn," Qian bit her lip, looking about her person suddenly.

"What's up?" Nichkhun asked as the whole group listened, whilst trying to keep casual.

"Oh, I left my bag back at the school," she looked back. They were about half way down the school road, and she almost decided to leave it. But it had her phone, keys and wallet. She couldn't afford to lose it.

"You guys go ahead, I'll run and get it."

"Erm, how about no," Chaerin shook her head, to which Qian raised an eyebrow and the former backtracked.. "Not that we don't trust you to take care of yourself Omma, but it's late."

"She's right unnie," Seohyun nodded, along with the rest of the ladies.

"I'll go with her," Nichkhun piped up immediately.

"Uhm," Yoonah spoke this time. "We should all go with unnie."

"Nehh~" Jieun agreed along with the other girls. It was quite obvious they wanted to be with her as long as possible before splitting up. The day was ending fast.

Nichkhun shot the quiet guys a look, prompting them. Wooyoung was the first to speak.

"Ah, Jieun Jagiya," he called, tugging his reluctant girlfriends hand. "Leave those two to it. We're basically halfway back."

"Yeah, it would be a waste of time to go all the way back," Junho piped up.

"Nichkhun can handle it," Taecyeon joined.

As the girls hesitating, a ringing broke the suspense. The unusually silent Soeun looked down, recognising the ring tone, ruffling through her bag before grabbing her phone.

"It's Joonmyeon," she looked up. "One second, don't move Qian."

She turned to answer the phone, taking only a few moments, before re-joining the group.

"Unnie, I have to go," Soeun bit her lip hesitantly. "In fact I think we all should."

Qian was too distracted and Nichkhun in turn too absorbed in reading her, for either of them to pick up her strange tone. But the others turn to face her in interest.

"Come on girls; Nichkun's got this," she prompted, before rushing forward to hug Qian. "See you later unnie."

Then to the boys confusion, she began ushering down the group, towards the end of the road.

"BYEEE!" the two left made out their merged cries of farewells that basically added up to that.

Nichkhun watched them go, slightly confused, but deciding to forget about it for now.

"Come on Qian-ah," heg rabbed her hand to lead her, knowing but now she was much too absorbed to object. She didn't mind, he knew. In fact, the warmth of his grasp fought back the numbness to an extent.

* * *

"I still don't understand how the building emptied so fast," Nichkhun sighed, as the two of them made their way towards Qian's house. The trip back up to the school had proved to be quiet the journey. Turned out they had emptied the school and closed down most of it within half an hour. All the staff had gone; they only just made it through the gates, stopping the groundskeeper from closing it and rushing to the performance hall. Thankfully, the bag was right where Qian said it would be.

"Me neither," Qian murmured, shaking her head. She wasn't fully with Nichkhun. In her head she was seeing her many journey's home with Changmin after dark, when she crept in after curfew. Didn't he remember those times? The late night dates, the midnight escapades, their memories.

Did he not care for them enough to want her any more?

She shook her head. She couldn't; at least not until she was safe at home. She was sure the tears were somewhere.

Nichkhun mostly walked her to her road; since the whole thing belonged to her family, her home pretty much started at the entrance of the road. In fact, as she walked now, she remembered the first time he walked her home; when he came in as she was scared alone. It seemed like so long ago, when Changmin's arrival was merely a date in the distant future. She sighed a loud at this thought, triggering an immediate response of concern from Nichkhun.

"Qian-ah... how is it?" he asked for the first time today, directly addressing the forbidden subject. It didn't surprise Qian though.

"It... it hurts," Qian sighed. "Not just that... but it's so helpless. I'm just waiting for him. And there's nothing else I can do."

Nichkhun groaned internally at her pain, but her straightforward words rendered him speechless.

"I'm sorry."

Qian closed her eyes, sensing his pain through these words. Words that he shouldn’t have to say; he didn't have to say. She hated those words.. It was just an attempt to make her feel better, but more than that. It was an expression of her helplessness, mirrored in him. Just as she could do nothing to reach Changmin, he could do nothing to reach her, stop her pain.

"Me too," Her voice barely above a whisper.

They walked up the garden path of her home, together. He wouldn't leave; not yet. He didn't know how he would ever force himself, his instinct being to cushion her in his arms. But... he should leave. She wasn't her right now. Whatever happened... it wouldn't be her choice. He didn't want to be her rebound boy, but he didn't think he'd have the strength to refuse if she needed him.

When they reached the front of her house they stopped. They simply stood at the door in silence before Nichkhun finally reached forward to ring the bell. It was ridiculous, all of it. And yet there was no other way.

Qian caught his hand before it reached the bell, looking at him and maintaining eye contact for the longest in a long time. Their skin burnt were it touched, and they both supressed the jolt.

"Wae?" he asked softly.

Something in his voice made her eyes fall.

"There's no one home," she rifled through her bag, pulling out her keys, and fitting her key not the lock, turning until they both heard the click. Her actions were slow and deliberate. She pushed open the door, hesitating.

Qian glanced up one more time to his face. Nichkhun instantly read her gaze.

She needed him.

Wordlessly, he nodded, reaching forward and pushing the door open fully, before taking her hand and pulling the two of them inside. They slipped out of their shoes, and Qian looked up to speak, but froze when she heard a voice. It was too muffled to make out, but it was coming from the kitchen.

"Must be Li," she murmured for Nichkhun's benefit, pulling her bag off her shoulder. "Come on."

The two began towards the kitchen, but were stopped short by two figures at the stairs. Before Qian could even look up, she found herself engulfed by a pair of warm arms. She pulled back, looking up to see a familiar face.

"Meimei," Lian stated, staring at her younger.

"… Jiejie," Qian attempted a smile, knowing she would want to see her trying.

Lian just responded with a smile, grabbing Qian into her arms, holding her tight. Qian exhaled in her safe haven. She was protected. Her eyes began to water, but she inhaled focusing instead on relaxing. Lian murmured a few words in Mandarin, to which Qian replied, whilst Nichkhun tried to understand, wondering if this was her cue to leave. Lian would take care of her; he knew that. But he still couldn't make himself walk away.

Then he met eyes with the other.

"Nichkhun right," a familiar face smiled.

"Yeah," he extended his hand and they both shook hands, before turning to the two girls worriedly.

The two finally separated, Lian's eyes crinkling as she smiled, prompting a response from Qian, before turning to Nichkhun with a grin, her face radiating. He found himself smiling; it really as contagious.

Qian's eyes flickered to the next figure, smiling automatically.

"Yunho," she said softly.

The said one shook his head, reaching forward and bringing her into a bear hug. The hadn't managed to catch each other after the off-stage encounter, and to say Yunho was worried would be an understatement. Lian chuckled at the two of them, her gaze landing on Nichkhun. She pulled him to the side a little.

"Nichkhun," she smiled, when they were a safe distance away. "Congratulations. You took care of my baby sis."

Nichkhun didn't know what to say, so just nodded seriously.

"She didn't cry," she acknowledged, eyes glowing. "She didn't mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter