Waiting

You're the ONE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Waiting"

Soo, this was originally one chapter, but I'm double updating cos its TOO DAMN LONG. There are two parts, I'll mark it for you so take a break, nehh? 

ALSO PLS LEAVE A COMMENT I DON'T THINK YOU UNDERSTAND HOW LONG THIS TOOK TO WRITE, ITS 3AM AND IM DYING, A COMMENT WOULD MAKE MY LIFE OTL

P  A  R  T    1


Nobody's POV


"There you guys are!" Chaerin yelled, pushing through the crowd and pulling Minjun with her as she waved frantically at Qian.

Qian smiled, distractedly, but not coldly. Thankfully, around her friends something always inclined her to put on a brave face.

"Chaerin," she smiled in greeting, waving back, whilst Nichkhun waved half heartedly.

They had been standing outside for only a couple of minutes, having arrived and immediately began looking for the others. Chaerin was the first they'd seen.

"Jun," Nichkhun greeted, going forward to say hello, still keeping an eye on Qian.

Chaerin looked down as Minjun squeezed her hand, remembering his hold, coughing and immediately dropping it before looking up, as the other chuckled. Barely ten minutes after making their agreement, and already they had basically spilled it. Holding hands around the two most observant people they knew. Chaerin scanned both of their expressions worriedly. But lucky for her, they both seemed preoccupied and she quickly reminded herself why.

"Yo Omma," Chaerin nudged Qian, more bravely than she felt. "Any thing?"

"No," Qian shook her head, immediately knowing what she was asking about, but smiling any way in order to assure her friend that she was okay.

Chaerin exhaled, glad to see the Qian she knew. She didn't know what she was expecting, but she was glad Qian was okay. All the girls were naturally worried about Qian, and Chaerin had been angering herself in every spare moment she had over the whole situation. He could call her, or he couldn't. Either way, it wasn't looking good for him if he ever showed his face around here, not to Chaerin any way.

"Unnie!" Jieun called, wriggling out of Wooyoung's arm and skipping over to hug Qian.

"Hey little one," Qian smiled, while Chaerin grinned, ruffling Jieun's hair, and she just giggled.

Taecyeon, Chansung and Junho quickly followed Wooyoung, to the group. They all greeted the other, before each looking around for their own reasons, each disappointed, but not for long. Yoonah and Soeun were next to arrive, and Qian's eyes immediately flickered to the corresponding gentlemen. She almost chuckled as he saw their expressions. They were all lost puppies, without certain people around. She idly wondered when they would admit, both to themselves and to their other, that they were in deep.

"Annyeong," Soeun rushed out, acknowledging whom she could before Yoonah made a run at Qian, pulling Soeun with her.

"Unnie!" Yoonah called, rushing up to Qian's side, finally releasing Soeun, practically pushing Nichkhun to the side. He chuckled, exchanging looks with the boys as he did so. But he failed to notice that Chansung, the usually loud and involved maknae, still had yet to speak.

Instead, the maknae looked around, a slight frown forming on his face. But it didn't last for long.

"Omo Hyunnie you scared me," Soeun exclaimed, and every one turned to see the newcomer who too had kept her silence until her unnie had turned and discovered her.

"Annyeonghaeseyo," Seohyun murmured distractedly, her eyes quickly finding Chansung's, who continued to stare at her.

This was far from an unfamiliar situation. She would often catch Chansung and he would just grin. Of course she'd usually carry on staring at him like he was Martian, why shouldn't she? She'd just wonder why on earth he was staring at her and what possible reason he would so and why on earth she would look away... but today was different. This time he wasn't smiling. This time he didn't look like a creepy elementary school kid. This time for the first time ever he was staring at her with a strange kind of intensity like he was trying to work something out, and at the same time he had this soft edge to his expression. This time, the first of many, Seohyun's cheeks heated up and her gaze immediately fell. She touched her cheeks in confusion, trying to work out just what she was feeling. But she didn't have very long before her train of thought was interrupted.

"Okay!" Chaerin piped up. "Now what? We're all here, what's everyone waiting for?"

Only as she spoke did Minjun notice the sudden distance between them. Whereas, before she was standing within arms length, literally, she was now standing on the other side of the group, much to Jun's dislike.

"I don't think we can go in yet," Qian spoke, working to engross herself in a conversation that did not involve a certain persons alleged arrival.

"Everyone's been standing outside since we arrived," Nichkhun added, gesturing to the crowd of people.

"I don't think they're done setting up," Taecyeon added, somehow having gravitated towards Yoonah, with neither himself or her noticing. She looked up as her threw an arm around her, smiling. He grinned back. "Miss me?"

"Opppaa~" she grinned, leaning into his side.

"Yah, get a room," Junho muttered, more sour than teasing. Realizing this, he spoke before anyone could pick up on it. "They said it's gonna be a full dress rehearsal right?"

"Yes," Seohyun nodded.

"With lights, curtains and everything," Chansung added.

"And costumes!" Yoonah of course.

"Ooohh, I wonder what they'll pick," Taecyeon mimicked Yoonah's excited tone, earning a soft smack on the arm.

"They've had designers in," Qian added. "They've been watching rehearsals."

"Yeah," Nichkhun agreed. "I'm sure they'll have planned to perfection."

"Oh gosh, this is exciting," Yoonah squealed, resulting in the others laughter.

As if to prove her point, the crowd suddenly began moving, and the group looked around.

"The doors are open," Nichkhun was the first to speak, before everyone became quiet.

"Students," the authoritative voice instantly silenced the few voices which still murmured in the crowd.

"Director Jang," Chaerin whispered.

The others stayed silent, their eyes glued to the director, and the performing arts staff who stood behind her in a row. In their years so far in the school, they had only been considered hoobaes, not yet serious or permanent enough to have had many encounters with the Director. It was in the last year that they'd have the most interactions with the director.

“Thank you,” the director paused for a second before continuing. “As you have already been told, this is your first full dress rehearsal. It's not long now until the performance evening is upon us. For this reason, I expect only your best from now on, in every practise, every rehearsal and every dress rehearsal.”

“Unfortunately, I won't have a chance to see you perform before Monday; when you do your last full dress rehearsal of the day. So, until then, work to perfect. I want to see something extraordinary.”

“Yes Director,” the students called strongly.

“Good. Final note; I know this is intense, but I expect your full effort. Do not forget to utilise the extra practise days put on for you, and do remember it is not only you working hard. The performing arts team here have invested a lot of time and effort into planning this evening to perfection. Make sure you make it worth the while.”

“From here I shall hand over to the performing staff. Work hard, and good luck.”

“Yes Director!” the students bowed, keeping their heads down as the director took his leave.

“Excellent,” Mr Lee stepped forward. “Now listen up students.”

Mrs Kim nodded, clapping her hands together in a business manner.

“As of now, the stage and hall has been set up almost as if it were really the evening of the show case. Lights, sound, costumes; the only absence is hair and make up staff, as I doubt it's necessary for now, but to get comfortable in your costumes and make any adjustments before the night is vital. This is one of the only dress rehearsals you will have - other than one at the end of Monday. So for the other days, make sure to bring practise clothes. You will be shown to your costumes. The first act should be ready by 1pm. Others are expected to watch for today, in silence for the first full dress rehearsal. Understood?”

“Yes Miss.”

“So,” Mrs Ahn spoke. “Go in, form a line by the stage, and wait until the assigned staff come to get you. Collect your outfit, keep it in your dressing room and stay in your group and take your places in the audience – though on the day you will be back stage – and wait for the staff to come and get you. This will happen two performances before you're own, in order to allow you to change get ready... Today is also the first time you will be seeing each other's performances, so we expect encouragement and a good audience. Remember, no cameras or mobile videoing. No one should see the performances before the showcase, other than you students yourself. Understood?”

The students nodded, and the staff abruptly disappeared into the hall, before quickly reappearing.

"Now, everyone enter in an orderly fashion. No pushing, and remember," the students began talking loudly over her, causing her to shout for silence. "REMEMBER. On the day, at least between performances, or if the performances are ongoing and you need to go and in and out of the building, you will obviously not be entering through the main doors. Instead, you will use the backstage doors." She signalled to the side of the building, where two, small but still double, doors were located.

After making sure she was understood, she waved the students in before disappearing again, the students quickly following.

The group all faced each other as they began to drift toward the double doors.

"Well," Soeun grinned. "Good luck then."

"Nehhh," Jieun spoke. "Hwaiting~"

"AWWWWWWW~" All the girls, even Chaerin, exclaimed.

“I look forward to seeing your performances,” Junho asserted, only the second comment he had made that day.

“Oh yeah!” Taecyeon grinned widely. “This should be entertaining.”

“You better be up to scratch,” Wooyoung chuckled.

The girls bit their lips, whilst Qian just laughed. They were more nervous than the day of the actual performances.

“I bet you're all amazing,” Qian spoke up, shaking her head.

“Thanks unnie~” they chorused, as they entered the double doors.

“Wow, she has them brainwashed,” Chansung whispered in a not-so-quiet-way. “OUCH!”

Chansung rubbed his head, glaring at the guilty one. Eleven pairs of eyes flickered to him.

“Oh, did you bang your head Chansung,” Nichkhun grinned, whilst the others laughed. "The doors are pretty low for a giant."

“Defending his woman,” Chaerin murmured. “YAH!”

This time it was Minjun's turn to look guilty.

“Discretion,” Minjun grinned, scolding a grumpy Chaerin playfully.

“Waaahh~”

Everyone's eyes turned to the source of the sound, finding two awed maknaes. And it wasn't hard to see why.

The group had unknowing entered the performance hall, and even from the back it was an amazing sight. The seating area was dark, only the small low lit lights remaining on. But the stage; the stage was brightly lit, four spot lights on standby, facing the centre of the stage whilst strobe lights of every colour that you could imagine, faced downward, illuminating the front row of seats. The backdrop screen was blank - as it would change depending on the performance. A row of microphones stood at the front of the stage, ready and waiting to serve their purpose. The whole scene struck excitement and anticipation into the hearts of every student in the room, all traces of hesitance, fear or cold feet gone; it looked like a professional concert, in which they all starred.

"Well, that's something," Chaerin finally breathed.

The others murmured in agreement, looking around themselves. They slowly made their way to the front row, where the other students loitered in front of the back-stage doors. But they didn't have much longer to gather their senses.

"THE FIRST ACT, WHERE ARE SONG AND HORVEJKUL!"

Their heads snapped around as their names were called, and they immediately spotted a business-faced TA wearing a headset coming towards them, with a clip board.

"You better go," Junho elbowed Nichkhun. "I don't like the way she's pointing that clipboard."

Nichkhun chuckled, saying his goodbyes.

"Why do all boys do that dumb handshake-fist-bump-smack-back thing?" Yoonah screwed up her nose, making the girls chuckle.

"See you Qian," Soeun squeezed her best friend, who tried her best to smile. But she was having a hard time focusing. The day was drawing later and later, and the more quiet there was, the less she was needed to interact, the more she began to feel the knot in her stomach tighten. She gripped her phone in her pocket - the one her hand happened to find every time they slipped into her pocket - and worked to prepare a normal toned response.

Fortunately, it didn't come to that.

"Come on now, no time for chit chat," a member of staff popped out of nowhere, followed by three others and began ushering both Nichkhun and Qian away towards the doors leading backstage.

"I'll wait for your performances," she called softly, waving at the other over the staff's shoulder, before she disappeared entirely.

The girls waved, before looking around at the rapidly dispersing crowd.

"We should get to our costumes," Seohyun proposed.

"Yes, but where," Chaerin retorted.

"THEATRE ACT, ALL ACTRESSES AND ACTORS BACKSTAGE, MAIN DRESSING ROOM, NOW!" The speakers blared out as if answering his question.

"That’s Yoonah and I," Soeun smiled, grabbing Yoonah's arm. "See you soon."

"Bye guys," Yoonah grin, her eyes falling on Taecyeon who just grinned. She mad a face, before tip-toeing and planting a peck on his lips. She pulled back to see a frozen Taecyeon. Yoonah grinned, raising an eyebrow. "See ya Oppa."

They all watched her go, wide eyed.

"Dude, close your mouth, it's embarrassing," Wooyoung teased.

"Someone is getting lai- OOUFF!"

Everyone turned to see Junho holding his gut, before their gaze shifted to a nearby Chaerin, staring at Junho with a smirk.

"Watch yourself. That's my best friend."

"Bad Chae," Minjun muttered with a grin.

"Oh I wouldn't say he didn't deserve it," Wooyoung called.

"You okay Oppa?" Jieun leaned around Wooyoung.

"His face is red," Seohyun stated.

"I'm fine," Junho smirked, before shaking his head at Minjun. "Control your partner Jun."

"Yah, you want another pu-"

"GET TO THE DRESSING ROOMS, ALL ACTS GET TO THE DRESSING ROOMS. TEN MINUTES LEFT!"

"JHEEEZZEE," Chaerin held her ears, elbowing Minjun. "We better go before they blow our heads up."

"LEE CHAERIN, KIM MINJUN THE NEXT-"

"WE'RE COMING FOR GODS SAKE!"

* * *

"Why didn't they just let us wear them now?" Yoonah pouted, as the group made their way back to the main theatre room.

"They probably think we won't appreciate it," Junho suggested, holding the door for the girls as they reached the main room. "Mess with something that isn't actually ours."

Soeun who was the last one to walk through the door, froze as she heard this remark, only halfway through. She looked up, and sure enough found Junho's watchful gaze. She had a hunch these words were aimed at her, though she couldn't see how or why they would be. So instead, she looked at him, scanning his expression. But there was no eye crinkling, no smile. Just his eyes, wide and earnest... like he was trying to tell her something. And he sure was. He was staring openly at her, and it threw her off guard. And she wasn't the only one observing this.

Oblivious to both of them, Wooyoung looked know with concern. His bestfriend wasn't himself, and he wasn't holding up just enough.

Soeun looked away, exhaling in relief as his gaze was out of her view. She quickly hurried through, just in time to hear Seohyun's response.

"We're not children," Seohyun asserted, immediately resulting in the group spluttering as they made their way to the mass of students.

"Yeah, WE aren't," Chaerin grinned.

"Yah, leave her," A voice interrupted.

Everyone's eyes turned to the source... including Seohyun's, as she wasn't able to label the voice.

"Oooh maknaes growing up," Minjun grinned ruffling his hair, which was quite an amusing fact as the maknae was about five inches taller than him.

Taecyeon smirked, before adding in an undertone. "Puppy love."

"Bwo," Chansung challenged, a lack of his usual goofiness.

The others laughed knowingly, whilst Seohyun's eyes stayed on Chansung. Something was wrong with his words.

Junho chuckled, looking around himself. The students were all gathered in the seating area, but no one was quiet or sitting. He glanced at his watch; apparently changing had taken longer than anticipated, as they were meant to have been seated ten minutes ago.

"When's this thing gonna start?"

As if on cue the speakers blared out.

"Attention students: take your seats in the audience. The first performance will be starting shortly. Remember; sit with your group."

"Let's sit together," Chaerin voiced immediately with a grin, causing the others to laugh.

"May as well, we're basically all in our groups," Taecyeon agreed, Minjun nodding.

"Apart from us, and out performance is after the interval anyway," Yoonah voiced, linking arms with a Soeun.

"Come on let's get good seats," Chaerin bounced, grabbing a confused Hyunnie.

Seohyun blinked. "But what about my group?"

Jieun pouted. "Unniiieee~ sit with me?"

Chaerin snickered, elbowing Minjun and pointing. She knew full well she didn't have to say anymore; the maknae would take care of it.

Seohyun's eyes widened, alarmed at Jieun's powerful aegyo, causing Wooyoung to chuckle in sympathy.

"I don't know..." Seohyun looked anywhere but at Jieun. "My group..."

"Can sit behind us!" Chansung hurriedly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter