Home Truths

You're the ONE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Home Truths"

Taecyeon's POV

It's end of the school week already. Strange how time flies, right?

After that day when we had to cancel lunch, I haven't seen much of the girls. Sure, we've passed each other, had classes together, smiled and greeted. But the week has literally been too busy to even take a breather. Every single free period we have been practising for our performances, every single lunch we've been having extra rehearsal. I guess it's not optional, given that our performance is getting closer and closer. It's suppose to be the one month mark for the end of year. But nobody is in the summer high, as it's not really gonna be finished. Pretty soon, we'll be staying all hours to rehearse. The pressure is getting to people.

Me myself, I'm not to bothered. I'm just gonna waltz in there, and do a little performance, and then get back out again. No biggie. The again, I guess it's less of a big deal, since both Chansung and I decided to perform a song. Just a little something that all of us were working on a while ago. We actually planned to do a group performance when we first heard about the evening, but then teachers decided to assign individual tasks, and one by one everyone was unavailable. We got it any way, cutting out some of the vocals wasn't hard. 

So here I sit, Friday lunch time, in the music practise room with the maknae for company. I've had to section us off from the other two girls, Jieun and Seohyun, because Chansung seems to get distracted easily. Plus, I'm starting to think he'll be the death of Seohyun. Seriously, he's taking a liking to becoming a complete idiot around her, and I gotta give her props for not running and screaming each time they bump into one and other. Though, I'm sure Seohyun's oblivious.

"Okay, that's enough of a break, it's time to start working maknae," I decide, taking a last gulp of water before standing.

"Hyung I'm bored," Chansung sighs. "Can't you just go to Yoonah or something."

Ah, Yoonah.

Yeah, not much progression right there. It's again, an impossible situation. We haven't seen each other since we hung out all together. I have to do something, especially since I have her number.

"Just get up and practise," I roll my eyes, annoyed that he managed to distract me yet again. "Then you can do whatever."

"OKAY LET'S DO IT," he jumps up, suddenly energised.

Aish, this kid.

* * * *

Yoonah's POV

"Bye!" I smile, waving to the disappearing figures of both Qian and Soeun, as I continue to walk with Chaerin and Seohyun. Jieun has already made her way home, and strangely enough, I haven't seen Nichkhun since break. I don't think Qian unnie has either... he normally walks her home. It doesn't take a genius to spot the gaze he gives her.

Poor Nickhun...

"How was school kid," Chaerin unnie asks as we walk, one ear phone in, bobbing her head to some unknown tune.

"Kid? Unnie, you're only a few months older than me," Seohyun says, furrowing her brow.

"Ah, but mentally I'm years ahead," she states, ruffling Seohyun's hair, smirking. "How about you Yoonah?"

I giggle, shaking my head. 

"School was uneventful. Mostly practising..."

"Me too. It was okay... but that tall one keeps turning up from nowhere..." Seohyun says, as Chaerin and I share a smile.

"How about your day? How was Jun?" I add, opening the door to her daily rant.

"Minjun," she corrects, rolling her eyes. "Annoyingly stuck up as usual." 

I giggle as Seohyun raises her eyebrows. 

"What did he do? I think he's quite nice," she says.

"Hyunnie, don't you know everything he does is wrong in her opinion?" I giggle, knowing we've got Chaerin started as she blows her bangs in irritation.

"No, everything he does is wrong, period. He's arrogant, self righteous, stuck up, stubborn, and he just never listens..."

"But, didn't you say he let you do a rap?" Seohyun asks.

"Yeah, I thought you said that too," I add.

"Well, yeah," she says. "Okay, I guess he's not that bad... with music, he's definitely advanced. It's like, a natural thing for him. We have similar tastes too, and he can be nice sometimes. His voice though, his skills are amazing..."

We both listen, my lips tugging up in a coy grin as Chaerin continues to praise her so-called enemy. It's always been like this; I don't think she even realises.

"Unnie," Seohyun suddenly interrupts her. "Are you in lo-"

I clamp a hand over , before she can get out the other half of the word. Luckily, Chae's too absorbed in her bragging about Jun. I slowly release Seohyun, as she looks at me confused. I glance at Chaerin, who's not even looking our way.

"Don't mention any thing like that Seohyun," I smile, still watching Chaerin.

"Wae?" 

"Seems like Unnie's finally seeing someone... in a bigger way than she may think. Don't scare her off by saying things like that, she's not ready yet, she still doesn't realise," I explain, and Seohyun nods, smiling. Chaerin is a stubborn unnie, but it's too obvious. Despite that, she needs to see it herself, and I don't think that will be far off. But if we say it, it will make her more determined to run away or prove us wrong. Best to let her see. We both turn back to listen to unnie.

"...he really does have a talent. I hope he likes the rap any way."

We listen to this type of thing, smiling away as we hope unnies finally met her match, until we reach Seohyun's road. She lives closest, so we bid her goodbye, and then it's just the two of us.

"So, how are things at home?" Chaerin asks as we start walking again. Unnie may seem firey and selfish, but in reality, she cares a lot for her friends.

"Normal... I guess," I sigh, a sombre mood settling over. Normal for my home any way.

"Wish I could come over..." Chaerin sighs, knowing how lonely it is.

I guess you could say bringing people around brings life to the dull house, makes it less of an empty shell.

"It's okay, I know you have to write your rap," I say, shooting her a small smile.

"Nah, you know what? I'm coming, I can do it at yours or it can wait, I-"

"Chaerin unnie, it's fine. You can't always be there, it's already 6pm and you have things to do unnie. Honestly, I can handle it," I say, managing a small smile. I have been doing just that for 6 years already...

She studies my expression, for a second, before sighing and looking ahead again.

"Anything new with Taecyeon?" she asks, and I shake my head.

"Haven't spoken to him since we all met up," I sigh, glancing down to my phone, but smile as I remember his words that day. I'll let you know...

But he hadn't. Not yet.

"It's been a busy few weeks," Chaerin sighs. "Don't worry about it. Though I generally don't like the male species, Taecyeon doesn't seem bad. You can see he's into you, don't stress."

I smile. Chaerin's honest, not like Seohyun's blunt attitude, more like she tells the truth as we need it. If Taecyeon didn't seem interested, she wouldn't give me false hope, that's the type of friend she is. A reality check. Which in my opinion, is great in a person.

"Thanks unnie," I grin, realising she's managed to make me genuinely smile.

"I didn't do anything," she says gruffly. Ah, another thing. Not unnecessarily emotional or sloppy. 

We stop outside my house, and I try not to sigh again. 

"You sure it's okay?" she asks, studying my expression. I smile, trying to maintain the light atmosphere.

"Positive," I say, as she sighs, leaning in to give me a short hug.

"I'm only a call away. Remember that," she says firmly, before turning and walking away.

What would I do without my friends?

I sigh, turning to face the house, slowly making my way up the garden path, and enjoying the normalcy for a while, before pushing the door open. It's never locked, since someone's always home. Gotta say, it's a good thing my 'father' made quite a bit before he took off, it's the only reason we're not broke. We have all the money he made, as well as some properties rented out through agents. So we're stable. 

"Welcome home," I whisper to myself, heading straight to my room. 

"Yoonah, is that you?" My mum calls.

"Yes, it's me," I say, heading straight into the kitchen, where I see a slim middle-aged, washed out woman working over the stove. That's all she does nowadays. Cooks, cleans, eats, sleeps.

"Yoonah, grab that pan for me," she says. No 'hello Yoonah' or 'how was your day'. Just straight into business. She doesn't even look me in the eye any more. I'm sure it's cos I look too much lik

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter