Eight

1987


Eight

"Take a chill pill, Mila. Like, you're going to, like, break a nail if you keep on."

My BFF's words ripped me right out of some weird trance, and I immediately stopped clacking my pencil on the desk to blink at her. Sica was right, of course; the last thing I needed was to wreck my manicure just hours before my hot date. But I couldn't help it. I'd been glaring at the clock all morning, ruing time for daring to tick by so slowly. The taps must've just—I don't know—slipped out in count.

Friday was never going to end. It would literally be the longest day of my life, like the cosmos were hell-bent on personally tormenting me. Didn't the universe know I had a date with Kai after school? Had I racked up some bad juju, offended some grody gypsy? Like, what gave?

The four-eyed dweeb behind me (who could really use a bath in Accutane, might I add) punted the back of my chair, and I suddenly realized I was poking a zillion graphite holes in my classwork again. I stole one last glance at the clock and slumped back in my chair, sighing.

Needless to say, by the time sixth-period study hall let out, oh, six or seven hours later, I had to zip into the ladies' room for a last-minute pep talk. I must have spent a solid half hour alternating touching up my makeup and prattling to my reflection like I'd gone postal. Like, breathe, I could even picture Jessica rallying as she puffed on a Marlboro—or whatever cigarette brand was en vogue this week. There's, like, nothing to even be worried about. Remember: you're, like, the queen of road head—after me or whatever. So, anyway, back to Taec...

Inner-monologue Jessica was totally right. I had to pull up my big-girl .

By the time I finally exited the bathroom, the halls of Exoplanet High had emptied of most signs of life, save for the occasional janitor sweeping up spitballs if that even qualified as having a life. I forced my head high as I strutted out to the parking lot, eyes making a beeline for the principal's reserved space. There Kai was: all six feet of him reclining against his cruiser, a bead of sweat trickling down his beefy abdominals. He had a hand coolly raised to his face to shield his gaze from the way-harsh September sun, and the squint in his eyes only intensified that bad-to-the-bone aura he positively reeked.

I reflexively let out a little hoot before crossing the street toward him.

"Like, sorry I'm late," I apologized. "The ladies' room was totally packed." It totally wasn't, but that totally wasn't the point.

Kai tossed his cigarette down on the asphalt and nodded toward his bike. "Hop on," was all he said before slinging a leg over the side of it and hoisting himself onto the seat. I bit my lip, crooking my neck for a better look at the, ahem, supple backside of his skintight jeans before doing as told. (Side note: thank God I had the foresight to wear shorts.) My thighs straddled his hips as I locked my arms around his shoulders for support and took advantage of this perfect opportunity to snuggle right up to his back.

In retrospect, I really hope I wore enough deodorant...

The toe of his Doc Marten punted at the kickstand, and the next thing I knew, the motorbike jerked into motion. I stifled a squeal, my grip on his chest tightening automatically so as not to go tumbling off. (Eek, what a garish impression that would have left.) The wind tossed our tresses like a hairspray salad (poetic, I know) as we cruised out of the parking lot. Before long, the buildings that lined the small-town streets diminished to little more than passing blurs. It was like heaven on Earth: just me and my biking bad boy and a streak of hot asphalt zipping by at seventy miles per hour.

Belinda Carlisle, eat your heart out.

Kai was a guy of few words, so suffice it to say I had zero idea where we were even heading before the bike finally rolled up on a bar nestled on the outskirts of Genericville. A half-lit sign assembled on the roof read aptly: "Road Dogs." It sounded like something out of a cheesy biker flick. Like a Hollywood movie scene, tobacco-tainted smoke oozed out of the building through the cracks of the front double doors as if to confirm the bar as a smoky cliché.

Our bike joined the passel of hogs lining the parking lot, and my legs wobbled as I dismounted. I tried not to let it show, though, as I stole a glance at my hair and makeup in the side mirror. After determining no false eyelashes had slipped off on the journey over, I turned to find Kai already disappearing into the building in a puff of grey smog.

Well, I guess that answered the age-old question about chivalry: dead as a doornail.

A faceful of cigarette smoke smacked me right in the nose as I entered. I let out the most petite cough possible and followed my date to a pair of empty stools at the far end of the bar, avoiding the beady gaze of several grody, scraggly-bearded bikers along the way. No sooner had we claimed our seats than a greasy barkeep in a paisley-patterned bandana slogged up to greet us.

And by "greet", I mean he grunted something that sounded vaguely like: "What'll it be, kiddies?" but I was paying more attention to Kai's rockin' abs to be totally honest.

"Two rum and Cokes." He had such a smooth way with words.

I cleared my throat. "Make mine Diet, please." Kai shot me a cocked-brow look, so I giggled and coyly twisted a dyed-red lock around a fingertip. Like I was about to consume a glass full of sugary, highly caloric soda in front of him? As if. Rule number something-or-other in Jessica's book mandated that one should always maintain a health-minded appearance before the boy she wished to court. And that was exactly what I intended to do.

By the time the barkeep returned with our drinks, an admittedly awkward two minutes of quiet had passed between us. Jessica's only advice on the strong, silent type was to skip the chitchat and plant my face in his lap, and I wasn't about to do that in a crowded bar, so I took a sip of Diet Coke and flirted the only way I could remember how.

By batting my eyelashes at him, rapid-fire, like I'd just lost a contact.

That lasted about thirty seconds before he mumbled: "You got somethin' in your eye?"

"N-no," I quickly stammered and averted eye contact. Ugh, why did I think that was a good idea? I must have looked like such a bimbette, or possessed—or worse, like I secretly needed glasses. I shuddered at the scandalous thought.

Kai chuckled before lolling back in his stool and slinking an arm around the backrest of mine. "So, uh, you're seein' the new kid?" he said. "What's he like?"

"What's he like?" I crossed one leg over the other and leaned in, my ankle brushing against his denim-clad calf. He didn't pull away. "Aren't you more curious about me?"

"Nah, you're an open book." He flashed a crooked simper and swirled the contents of his glass before downing the soda in a single gulp. The counter quaked as he slammed the empty cup down on it.

Inwardly, I struggled to decipher what that even meant. Like, did he think I read a lot or something? I mean, was I sending the wrong impression? Then it struck me: he was trying to scope out his competition. Well, I could play along with that.

"I mean, it was like at first sight, really," I lied, stirring my cocktail straw in circles. "I met him at Tiffany's mall tour over the summer"—I vaguely remembered Theatre Boy mentioning it—"and after one look at his boyish dimple and fuzzy little mophead I just knew I had to make him mine. Like, I know it sounds crazy, but I'm so sure it was fate, because I bumped into him later at the movi—I mean, in detention, and the rest is history."

I put on my best self-pleased smirk, hoping it'd give me the air of a seasoned rule breaker.

"Ah," was all he said.

"Yeah. So, do you, like, own any shirts?" I blurted the first question to pop into mind.

He shrugged. "Doesn't everyone?"

"Oh, yeah, totally. I'm, like, a blouseaholic."

"Yeah."

I sipped awkwardly on my drink as silence consumed us once more. I hated to admit it, but I had to face the facts: thus far this date had shaped up to be pretty bogus. I mean, even Kris Wu outtalked Kai, and the only language he knew was a couple of caveman grunts and how to ask me to make out. But I couldn't be a quitter now; Kai was way too smokin' hot for that. I had to salvage it somehow.

"This is the most, like, unique date I've ever been on." Not exactly a compliment, but it'd have to do.

He raised an eyebrow, chuckling. "Date?"

It took every ounce of strength in me not to crawl under the counter and die.

 

Author's Note

EWWW, I'm so sorry that the first update in over a year turned out to be such an underwhelming stinker. (▰˘︹˘▰) TeenIdle says I hate every chapter I write, though, so I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope it's not as bad as I'm making it out to be.

Anyway! I'm so sorry it took so long to update. I actually came back to this fic multiple times (like, every month or two) and really wanted to continue it, but for some reason this chapter has been a huge hurdle to cross! I also "quit" AFF in March or so, so that factored in a little, lol. I promise that my infrequent updates are not from a lack of love for this fic, because I adore it so much and don't know if I'll ever forgive myself if I don't finish it. >_< I won't make any promises, though.

Lastly, I owe you all a HUMONGOUS REALLY RIDICULOUSLY BELATED thank you for helping 1987 get featured! It was over a year ago now, but I still appreciate it so much. I meant to thank you sooner, but I'd planned to do so once I updated again, and, well, by the time I didn't update again, it was awkwardly late to issue a thanks by itself... T_T

Thanks for voting, saturnburning, vheissu, pikacaaw, cassette-girl, funruby, litche, cjan3e, , _fallen, infiniteexostan, nekoriri, jaekaido, aomame, loopsided, taobaragi, zoelenadavies, doraunicorn, bohemianrhapsody, wegotthepower_bap, o_r_e_o_a, dazedunicorn, cimmotabi, inwardfangirling, urbanheart, dawnxiamara, mjennachan, camzform, mirajisagonuro, lkm_98, derp_yeollie, chrissyxx, fishydarlene, alwaysmile9, jason_jang12, moo_imma_fish, chanxiuyeolmin, chanyeolbby, bhellapark, autophobia, jongitup, nisa247, icybear60, icykrystal21, sentient, sujufanaticme28, frustratedbacon, crimation, xoxo__, bloop2530, thebunny, gardinia_love93, minkwangie, jongstitch, lastlife, superjunior13vip, katejm, jessie14, ibelongtokyu, cleopatra98, bellolo, melabella, huehuehue, lulusgirl, mybiasesname, nadavipbana, ohnoitscheli, poison-ivy, butcher, duckymimo, kpoplover11401, lydine, deejung0912, jermainey, ilovenuts, kimkimmy, swiily4ver, songyongsoo, thefawksyartist, 0ngyul0ver, dreamanddance, escritoire, faye_lee, fleurdelys, forever_aloneforever, foxrain, hunexo, ilhoon_ahjusshi, jellynuts, jongdaemnation, jordin-rae, littlebirdtee, lunaticcharm, marina1432, missy_13, moony_kat, myyyxo, soomii, soshified99, sweetstrawberry, tearful, thealienunleashed, xniamhcerysx, yasminchoi, _caffieine, abitcurious, aihime, b2stftw, b2utyful-inspirit, duizlie, fanboygasm, inspiritandbeyond, kirakirapikapika, kissmeang5l, kpopfreak, leehowonloveme, mokuren, polaris-, purplepop, queenmoomerz_159, qwertyu, sehunniewifey, suzuki-san, tobira, winterpearl, xlusarang, yhyunah, yolooooo, youyouet, ahsongyi, aminyx, bobateahee, boysandbooksandfraps, channijang, coweatingk-pop, eliswife, exoticredvelvet, hyun-jae, ireadfanfics, kpop4ever101, kpopforeverrr, luckyluhan, mishelly13, nika--chan, ohsnapitzawriter, princeyeollie, raabbit, seleenchong, seomaya, shawol-elf, thatawkwardday, tippitytopoftheworld, twelvedorks-, vokuleyez, _shuppylove, -bluefish-, --careless, 1exoticelf3, alphaarellano16, angelofthewings, annyeonghathehun, bearbear_990606, beotkkot, oopanda, engrishwaffurs, fallin4youshinee, foreverinspirit, ivenus, jigglypuff-, kagaki, krykmhkty, kyungbij, littlepanda15, mamamia, piptheterrible, purple_cherries, smilewiththemoments, thirteeen, wishmeluck, -asuna-, -exochocotea, affxtionatecassie, autumnwells, bada-chan, bubblegum90, dokyungsooswifey, goldenrose227, kaeteopi_lee, kymori, littlesushi, midnightfire777, pearle, pegglasus, rhea15, shine_star, siashin, skyerenciel, sujuexodude, synditrix, taorisbaekyeol, tumbleweed, vanillalala, vivianowo, whitefall, applemint, br2019, chunderpji, cutielove1108, dancingdeer, derplikeabuffalo, funoverkpop, galaxy_seba, jojo9795, kimmybear, kyukyuwoo, kyung-keyyls, mandyxcarrot, mooeysmiley, mungsoo, mylife_iskpop, prosecutor_princess, rottenhalo, serenee, shinylollipop, sweetbabyjesus, tina32, xxiaregabixx, xyper_crash21, yongchanie, 5forever1, aureate, caithlyn, chromehearts123, dammit_lol, greasybyuntae, hello_baby129, heyitsme94, hideandseeker, iamasone_9, ilovedreamingx3, jalmothaesseo, jjdonut, maihannie, michelliee, misanthrxpe, orangecandy, panda-cake, pirateroll, reina-k-d_o, sanitydrowned, se-hun-ny, thatxx, tiffanychokh, wildfoxes, -rainheartsz-, -vixxen-, -serena, -himawari, -kenaya-, 19boyo89, 1234go, abayron, abisrsly, affawards, affeaysra, agoyoong, ahnminah13, aifei-by-the-sea, aiyaichi, alexys, aliengamer, alluring, allycat437, allyluvsshinee1, almakirana, amberamkae, androangel, anniiee_, annyeongseoul, anonumosm, asdfghjklee_kai, ayurechko, b2styandthebeast, baeknhoney, baekyeolis, bakakristin, beaaac, behappy, blackpearlchihun, bluestarlyc, bogoshipda, booons, born_with_style, bubbleloveworld, buingf_ckingbuing, buntae, burnt-glitter, byunghannie, cheolyans, cherryblossoms11, chocostix, chodingbananamilk, codename777colours, creatingfaith, cutecats, cybelexism, dahila, danaostimeo, danleequiran, danniesaur, darkb2utyknight, db5ksujulove8, deathwish, deerkc, delusionalfanda, doctorhemmo, doloresjung, dorotaku, dzgurl12, elation, elfish990704, emii_valentine, eotteokhae8, exo_abiaswrecker, exoarmyv1c, exotic_li, exoticassiopeia, exoticbeasehunnie, faidy15, famovs, fantasy321shinee, flatasshun, flowerrockk, forshizzlemydrizzle, galaxyminions, gennay_, gongju-nim, gwiyeolmin, haewon-kezia, hanachiko, hankuk, haryatulharun, hayhan, heart_and_seoul, heartsmelody189, hoshispace, hyonugu, hyunaswag, iamasushiaddict, ichikoatinie, ienxxxx, iheartyeye, iluisiluis, iluvrunningman, infinityinfinite, inlovewithkpop_, insohotvip, inspirit_bumblebee, iyeshag, jannajane_14, jithong, joker892809, jonjengiya, justnormalme, kamilah2, kawaii-gizibe, kerbzley, kiarazhang, kim-soojung, kimxbb, kiyohyo, kl-mars, kokokoreancrazy, kookiesnkreamx3, koreanaddict, kouhaism, kpop23, kpopfanforever77, krayeon6710, krisyulsupporter, kultakala, kyulovesriona, lady24, ladydance123, layla-exo, leejinki07, leekimmi, leijin, leykai, light28, like_a_somebody, lissam, littlenerves, llmelimell, lonerloveys, lost_princess, lovinghate, lovingseoul, madamemakjang, mamakibellamy, manynames, marmalade, marrymemary, marumero, marygo, meow_kitten, mikeemouse10, mikianomi, mintytoothpaste, minwoo_key_fan1, miss_b2uty, misskkamjong, mixedheartzxc, mollschoco, moodymuppet, msjoker, nalgaewings, negaii, nix123, ohitsying, ohjongin, oliviapleskun, ollybear25, onewjjongkey, onogabe, oppairs, oreo_cream, papapipame, peach_chan, peacockgege, phyllislovesdance, pinkblink, playette, potaytoes, potterhead4life, prestigious, prisjones, putri93, quiettears, reineism, rinn1424, ritucool, rosetan98, rudelonlysarang, sailorsenshi28, sally1, sarang_, sehun-annoys-me, seoulja, sf5_parkhyura, sharmillae, shawolproud, sherrypalak, shhh_its_me, shineeboysforever, shineesnsdee, sicajxng, silverlinings, simplyheartless, sm17es_bullets, smurff, snsdsujustan, soaringcliche, songwoon, soobin208, soorinchoi, specialistay, stormoverparis, suga-rush, sulli111, sunset812, sweetlollies, taeberry, taeminvirus, taocosanddonuts, taohunlover898, tariluvsjotwins, teeheecupcake, thataegyo, theangelvampire, thechuglyonesthebest, theofficialdork, tiffanytheturtle, tintapljoe1123, tinyteardrop_, toomanybiases, twinklexostan_kpop, ukeyra98, unicornlover, uzz006, valerias, vampirepeniel, wanderingalpaca, whorette, xoxo90, xoxovi, xxinmyseoulxx, yookyungkai, yoontae981, yploverholic, yuxiewuxie, zeloys, zunmyo, and msmochalatte! (*^▽^*) (THIS LIST WAS LONGER THAN THE CHAPTER)