The Kiss

The Olive Branch

"How pointless was that date, huh?"

"Very pointless," Jaejoong answered Jessica. Yuri heaved a sigh and looked up at the tall white building. They ended up canceling the date (Yunho soon figured that the date was set-up) and went to the hospital to see BoA. Yesung was anxious, while Yunho was still upset over the fact that BoA's boyfriend was still alive. Surprisngly, he wasn't that upset over the sudden news.

"Can I just, like, go?" Yuri asked, biting her bottom lip. 

"Can I just, like, punch you for lying to me?" Yunho asked, irritated. 

Yesung widened his eyes. "You can't talk to a girl like that!"

"Don't tell me what do to."

"Yeah, you definitely can't say that to a girl," agreed Jessica, who nodded her head. The step-siblings exchanged high-fives and a smile. Quickly, Jaejoong pulled her away from her brother with his arm wrapped around her waist.

"Let's not get too close too suddenly, okay?" Jaejoong said, flashing Yesung a smile. By the time Jaejoong looked around, they were already inside the building. He clicked his tongue and nodded his head as he stared at the busy lobby. There were so many people worried and sick, but there were others who masked their sadness with delightful smiles.

"Yunho, yes?" a nurse asked, approaching the group. Yunho turned around, then nodded his head after hearing his name. The nurse flashed him a smile. "Are you here to visit Jessica?"

"Yes, I am," Yunho replied. "Is she expecting me or...?"

"Oh, she's been expecting you ever since she woke up! Didn't the doctor tell you? The moment she woke up, the first word she said was your name. Afterwards, she's been asking for you," the nurse explained. Yunho looked back to smirk at Yesung, but was surprised how calm the boyfriend looked. In fact, it seemed as if Yuri looked more in pain than Yesung did. Yunho cleared his throat and nodded his head.

"I... I see. Um, is the room number the same?" Yunho asked.

"No, it changed. In fact, I'm just about to bring her some medicine. Would you like to follow me?"

So the group followed the nurse, who lead them to the second floor and a little further away from the elevator. A few minutes of walking, the nurse finally came to the stop. She knocked on the door that stood in their path.

"BoA, I'm going in," the nurse said, opening the door. At first, no one dared to step inside. Some were waiting to hear BoA's voice, or hoped to catch a glimpse of her. The nurse turned around, then smiled at the five. "You guys can come in, you know."

They did exactly what the nurse said. Following behind the nurse was Jaejoong. He had never seen BoA close up or anything, but he knew that she looked different from the past when he saw her dance at the dance room sometimes. The patient looked up in surprise, then smiled fondly at him.

"Hello, Jaejoong. I still remember you being the little rascal," she said, laughing. Next, Jessica came in. BoA tilted her head in confusion until Jaejoong cleared things up.

"A friend of mine," Jaejoong told her. Jessica shyly nodded her head and hid behind BoA, unsure of what to say to someone on the hospital bed.

"Nice to meet you. I'm called BoA."

"Jung Jessica. I'm a friend of Jaejoong and a best friend of Yunho's friend."

"Ah, I see. Is Yunho here, though?" BoA asked, her eyes searching for the familiar face at the door. It was when Yesung and Yuri pushed Yunho to step inside the room. Yunho made eye-contact with BoA, and his cheeks turned bright red. Seeing this, Yuri felt like she wanted to run away.

"Yunho! I'm so glad to see you. I was calling for you every minute the nurse stepped inside here!" BoA exclaimed. She was so excited that she even tried to get up, but remembered how she couldn't use her legs anymore. The woman gave him a weak smile and tried to sit back on the bed as comfortably as she could.

"Ah... Y-Yeah. H-Hi BoA... It's been a long t-time," he stuttered, rubbing the back of his neck.

Poor Yuri, Jaejoong thought, shaking his head a bit.

"Yunho, I need you to do me a huge favor," she started. "I need you to go and find Yesung. You know, my boyfriend? You should be able to recognize him--"

"Yesung? He's over there--" As Jessica pointed to the door, everyone realized that no one was there. She swiftly ran over to the door, and looked around the hallway. Not only was Yesung gone, but he had taken Yuri with him. She curled her fingers into a fist and angrily stared at the walls.

"Damn you, Yesung!" she cursed loudly, ready to hunt down the two.

 

Yuri was out of breath. She had secretly skipped a meal, and she was feeling a bit dizzy. She couldn't stop running since Yesung had tightly gripped her hand with his. It was as if he was blindly running away from a monster or something that she couldn't understand or quite see.

"Ye...sung! Stop!" she panted desperately. Hearing her voice, Yesung quickly released his grip. The two stopped running and waited to catch their breaths. Suddenly, Yuri's knees began to wobble. She collapsed in his arms, causing him to catch her in surprise.

"You okay?" Yesung asked, shocked.

"Y-Yeah..." she stammered weakly, trying to get up. Yesung looked around, and found a bench not too far from them. He slowly dragged her towards the bench and helped her sit down.

"Are you hungry or something? Here." Yesung pulled out some bread from his pocket. "I was saving this for later, but I think I'll give it to you."

"Thanks," Yuri replied, taking the food. She devoured the wheat in a few minutes, replenishing her energy. Yesung smiled at her, but his smile faded when he looked at the direction he ran away from. As she her fingers clean, Yuri stared at him for quite some time.

"What's up? Why did you run? BoA would've been excited to see you," Yuri said, looking around for a vending machine.

"We're going to break up," Yesung answered, looking down at the ground. She stiffened and stared at him.

"B-Break up? But why? I thought you two were perfect!" she exclaimed. That means Yunho has a chance and he'll never look at me!

"Right before we got into the accident, she suggested for us to break up and become friends."

"Right after you guys got together?"

"Y-Yeah... She said that it's kind of pointless for me to go back, and that she has a future ahead of her. Once she said that we should just break up and stay as friends... I got so shocked, I wasn't looking at the lights but at her. Then we got into an accident and all. I found out that she was dead, but--"

"So wait," Yuri said, trying to understand everything. "If you go back, you're going to break up with her, and that's it?"

"Yep," Yesung said. "Then I go back to my family, beg for forgiveness, and start a new life--"

"You're just being idiotic, now!" she cried out. She tried to stand, but she knew that she would still have to rest. "You're afraid of breaking up with her? You're just like Yunho! You both cling onto a hopeless love. Can't you just see that BoA wants to be independent? I'm sure she still loves you and all, but sometimes women have to go their own paths. Boyfriends or girlfriends don't last forever, but dreams do. If you're going to depend on your love life, then I'd say that you should forget about that life and move on to a new one. Who knows, BoA might even come back to you."

Yesung glared at her. "I'm the idiot? Yeah, well look at you! You're blindly in love with someone who would never love you, yet you say that dancing is the only thing in your eyes. Are you sure that you're dancing because you enjoy dancing? Are you sure that you're not dancing because of him? Don't call me an idiot when you're too scared to solve your own situation."

Yuri opened to speak, but nothing could come out. In fact, she was thinking about what Yesung was saying. What did dancing mean to her now? What was her goal when she started the school? Everything she had planned out were practically wasted and forgotten. Embarrassed, she looked away and crumbled the plastic wrapped in her hands. 

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I should've known better." After a few moments, she looked up. "So what are you going to do as of now?"

Yesung paused, then sighed. "Go back, I guess. Then ask Jessica to come back with me to America and hopefully start a new life there."

"Oh, I see--Wait, what?" Jessica widened her eyes. "You're going to take away my best friend?"

"I don't know! It's just what I had in mind. I'm getting along with Jessica slowly, but if I go back home alone, then it's going to be awkward for me. I need someone who's going to support me," Yesung explained timidly. Then, he narrowed his eyes. "Plus, I don't like her being around with Jaejoong. He isn't the greatest influence, to be honest. I've heard many stories about him."

Yuri's face turned red in anger. "He's changed! He's a good guy once you get to know him!"

"Still. He's not safe," Yesung pointed out. He heaved a sigh. "If only he wasn't interested in my step-sister, I could ask her to come with me to America for a week..."

Yuri turned pale. She knew where this was going. Shaking her head, she clenched her jaws.

"You know, I thought you were a good guy," she muttered coldly.

"Well, Yunho's probably going to get hooked up with BoA after I break up with her. Might as well force in a new love and adjust to it," he said calmly. He looked at Yuri with a smile. "I think we both know what we should do, right?"

 

BoA let out a laugh. Jaejoong watched Jessica tell her more funny and embarrassing stories of the four's friendship. He was impressed over how much he stood out in her memories. There was never a second when Jessica forgot to mention his name. Hearing his name from her lips was like hearing a mother's soothing lullaby. 

Wish mother was here rather than out of the country, he thought silently.

"Jaejoong, did Yesung pick up his phone yet?" Jessica asked, turning around. He shook his head and checked Jessica's phone once more. Yunho sighed in distress, which surprised him. Wasn't he supposed to be glad that Yesung was away?

"Yuri didn't even pick up her phone, either," Yunho added, barely audible. Suddenly, the door swung opened. Yuri and Yesung were standing in front of the door, pale from the cold. In a flash, Jessica ran straight towards Yesung to smack him, but Jaejoong managed to grab her hand and hug her waist. Yunho got up from his seat, shocked to see Yuri with Yesung.

"Yesung," BoA whispered. The boyfriend sheepishly smiled.

"Hello, BoA. It's been a while," he said softly. While the two began to chat, Yuri ran straight towards Jaejoong. She grabbed him with her cold, trembling hands.

"What's up, Yuri?" he asked her.

"Can I talk to you? In private?" she asked him.

"What's so secretive? Those three are in their own world." He pointed his nose towards BoA, Yesung, and Yunho.

"Yeah, but she's not," Yuri replied, gesturing her head towards Jessica. Jessica scowled and looked up at Jaejoong. Seeing his face up close made her heart skip a beat, and both of their faces turned pink. He quickly let her go, and she slowly crawled over to where the other three were. Yuri waited for Yesung to ask Jessica about visiting her parents, in which she first hesitated to, but agreed.

This is it! It's now or never, Yuri thought, hearing her cue.

"Okay, now she's not here. What's up?" Jaejoong asked.

Yuri bit her bottom lip. "Can you... date me?"

He stared at her. "Excuse me?"

"Can you please go out with me?" she repeated.

"Um, sure? Where to?"

"No, no!" she exclaimed, shaking her head. Her sudden outburst grabbed the four's attention, but she didn't notice.

"So you don't want to go out?" Jaejoong asked, confused. He gasped when Yuri forcefully pulled his head down. The two stared at each other with a loveless gaze.

"I'm so sorry, but bear this for Jessica's sake," she whispered for only him to hear. She pressed her lips against his, causing him to widen his eyes.

Yunho dropped his jaws and tried to move, but he was absolutely stunned. BoA covered and blushed furiously from seeing the romantic scene, while Jessica tilted her head in confusion and in pain. The only person who was smiling was Yesung, who snapped his hand to get Jessica's attention.

"One week, right?" he said to Jessica, but loud enough for Yuri to hear. "Just one week, and you'll be back to this little country in no time."