The Lie

The Olive Branch

Yuri felt scared. Yunho had invited her out by phone to meet him at the practice room. Rarely he would send her texts, but this was the first in a while since he decided to call her. Not only that, but she knew that she must've done something wrong for him to call her out.

Then there was Yesung's situation. Was she supposed to tell Yunho that BoA's boyfriend was still alive? That didn't seem quite right for Yuri. Why? Because she was scared that Yunho would be depressed over BoA?

When she did arrive at the dance room, she found it empty. Yunho wasn't here yet, and he was probably running late to get something to eat (most likely consisting of protein, which Yuri found ironic considering what her health situation was).

"Oh, woah. You're early."

That voice. That same husky voice that could make her melt in seconds. Yuri turned around, blushing, and found Yunho with a plastic bag in one hand and his phone in the other. He noticed her gaze on the bag, so he tossed the bag towards her. Yuri gasped and managed to catch it with her skilled fingers. She opened it, and was surprised to find a warm coffee can.

"Drink up. You did well," Yunho said, gesturing her to eat.

"Is... Is this some kind of punishment? Like, if I drink this, will you make dance for three extra hours?" she asked.

He gave her a bewildered look. "What? No!"

"Then if I drink this, does this count for drinking my soda?"

"Yuri, just drink the can--"

"Or if I drink this, do I have to get out of the team--"

"Fine! If you're not drinking it, I'll drink it!" Yunho shouted. He was about to snatch away the bag until Yuri brought the can closer to her chest.

"Okay, okay! I'll drink it," she said. She hesitantly opened the can, and began to drink. The two sat next to each other, their backs leaning against the large, cold mirrors. The room was colder than usual since none of them were dancing to their heart's content. After a moment of silence, Yunho started to speak.

"BoA woke up."

Yuri almost choked. "E-Excuse me?"

"BoA woke up," Yunho repeated softly. "She woke up from her coma."

Why, why, why, why? "Congratulations! You must be happy. So how is she?"

"I... I don't know," he muttered. "I didn't get to see her yet."

Her lips trembled. "O-Oh... Then you should go and s-see her..."

"Will you come with me to see her?" Yunho asked.

Yuri paused. Did she want to see BoA? Definitely no. Though she was curious of what kind of person she was. She had heard so many good rumors about BoA, she seemed like the perfect angel.

"Right now?" Yuri questioned him. He nodded. "I... I can't."

It's more like I won't, she thought, heaving a sigh.

"Why? Why not? There can't be anything more important for you to do with your life," Yunho pointed out.

"I... have to hang out with Jessica today--"

"You always do that."

"Then I have to go shopping--"

"Tell Jessica to do that."

"I... have a date!" Yuri lied. Yunho gave her an uninterested look.

"Yuri. You? A date? You can't possibly get along with a stranger. Plus, there's no way that Jessica is going to let you go out with someone she doesn't really know. You know how protective she is over you," Yunho said.

"W-Well, this person is someone Jessica clearly knows, and you know him, too!" she declared.

"I don't think there's a good enough guy for you to--"

"I'm... going on a date with Jaejoong today!" she announced rather quickly. Her hands tightly gripped on her can and she dared herself to see Yunho's reaction. Rather than annoyance or a smirk, his expression showed disbelief and surprise.

 

"I'm doing a what."

"Congratulations! You are lucky enough to go on a pretend date with me for the rest of the evening!" Yuri exclaimed on the phone.

"I'm doing a what with who?"

"Jaejoong, my best friend! My buddy! I think it's clear that you know what's happening."

"Yuri, I do not understand why this is happening, but I am not going on a date with you and ask Jessica to tag along with her brother," Jaejoong said firmly, flipping through a magazine. There was no way that he was going to go on a date with Yuri. He was loyal to Jessica. Didn't she know that?

"Come on, Jaejoong! It's not like you're an item with Jessica or anything. Plus, it's going to be really short. It's you paired up with me, and Jessica paired up with Yesung. Simple, right? Jessica already agreed to it!"

"No she didn't. There's no way that she want to pretend that she's dating her annoying step-brother. Heck, why would she even go on a date with her step brother?"

"Please? They don't even look alike, so it's perfect! I'm planning to ask her soon, too."

"Look here, Kwon Yuri," Jaejoong said, looking up from his magazine as if Yuri was standing in front of him. He swapped his phone to the other ear and leaned close. "If you want me to go on a pretend date with you, convince Jessica first and set up another date for me with her. Then give me a call again."

 

"I'm doing a what."

"You're going on a pretend date with your step-brother, and I'll be paired up with Jaejoong for a day."

"I'm doing a what with who?"

"Woah, you and Jaejoong are so alike! He said the exact same thing!" Yuri commented. "You know what would be amazing? If you two go on a date."

Jessica, who was getting a pedicure at a spa, narrowed her eyes. Although she was told to relax while her toenails were being painted, she couldn't relax anymore. At least, not with this kind of news.

"Yuri, going on a date with my step-brother sounds weird. Even though we're not blood-related, he's still my brother--"

"Please? Jaejoong's going to go!"

"No he's not," Jessica said. "He doesn't go to these type of stuff. You know better, Kwon Yuri. He only does stuff if he gets bribed. Then again, Yunho does that, too..."

"Well, what's it going to take me to get you to agree?" she asked.

"If you can get my brother to agree, then we'll talk," Jessica said. With that, she hung up and looked down at her toes. The employee was beautifully working on her nails, yet she had a puzzled expression on her face. Jessica only smiled and closed her eyes to rest.

 

Yuri tapped her fingers against her desk. Yunho was at the bathroom, giving her some time to contact her "boyfriend." She wasn't sure where this lie was going, but she was sure that it would only last today. Once Yesung picked up his phone, Yuri quickly became alert.

"Hello?" he answered in a low voice.

"Yesung? Hi, this is Yuri! Your step-sister's friend? The girl who was there at the convenience store?" Yuri said, trying to describe herself in any way.

"Oh, yeah... Hello," he mumbled.

"Sorry, did I wake you?"

"Mhm... Actually, I had a dream."

"A dream? Interesting! Anyways, listen--"

"I saw BoA in the dream. I dreamt that we were going to meet soon, but something bad happened to the world. Even though the world was dark, we were still together and happy. To us, it was just each other," Yesung explained, not bothering to listen to Yuri's problem. He paused, then said, "Is there anything you wanted to say?"

"Yeah... Listen, there's this friend who wants me to visit someone, but I really don't want to do that. So I lied to him that I was dating his friend, but that friend won't go on a date unless he gets a date with one of my friend. Though my friend won't go unless you agree, so if there's any hope for me, can you please go on a date with your sister and pretend that you're doing a double date?" Yuri explained, chewing her cheek. She waited for his reply, which seemed to take forever.

"So let me get this straight: You asked Jaejoong to go on a date with you, but he doesn't want to date you unless he gets another date with Jessica. Then, Jessica won't go on a date with me until I agree. So it's a double date between you and Jaejoong with Jessica and me?" Yesung repeated.

"Yes, yes! So... Is there any way that you can agree to this plan...?"

"Mm... sure. Under two conditions," Yesung said. "Let's make it Jaejoong with Jessica, and you and me."

"Er, I don't think so. You see, that friend who wants me to go somewhere would rather have me date Jaejoong instead," Yuri said. Plus, I already announced that I was dating him.

"Then I won't go--"

"Fine, fine! I'm desperate, so I'll set that up!" Yuri shouted. She looked around for Yunho, who was still gone. "Okay, so what's your second condition?"

"Show me BoA." Yuri widened her eyes, and stared at her phone. "I want to see how she's doing."

But I wanted to avoid her! she thought. "Ah... You know, I'm not that close with her--"

"Then I won't do it--"

"Okay, then! I'll change the partners and show you BoA. Deal?" Yuri asked.

"Alright, deal--"

"I'll text you right away. Right now, that friend is coming," she whispered, seeing Yunho just a few feet away from her. She quickly hung up and smiled nervously at him.

"So," he said, slightly pale, "where's Jaejoong and this double date you were talking about?"

Yuri pressed her lips, then pulled out her phone. "W-Well, you see... Let me go and give them a call!"

As she left the table, she didn't know that this event would bring another winter storm to her life.