The Exchange

The Olive Branch

"I can't believe that you like Yunho."

"I can't believe it, either."

"I can't believe that you like Yunho."

"Okay, Jaejoong. You said that twice already."

"I can't believe--"

"--that I like Yunho! Okay, I get it! I understand! I, for some strange reason, have developed feelings for the arrogant, rude Jung Yunho. Happy?" Yuri snapped, glaring at Jaejoong. Jaejoong blinked his eyes, then shook his head. The two were on top of the school's roof, having lunch together and avoiding Yunho.

"But why did you have to tell me, huh? Why not Jessica? Isn't it just weird?" Jaejoong pointed out.

"I was going to text Jessica, but then I realized that we both could benefit in this situation! You see, you like Jessica, while I like Yunho!"

"I don't see your point."

"My point is, Jessica is my friend, and Yunho is your, er, friend, I guess. We can share each other our friend's likes and dislikes, and use them to get closer to the ones we like! If I told Jessica, she might've started doing what I've been doing to you and her," Yuri explained. Jaejoong shaped his mouth into an 'O' and nodded his head, impressed with her idea. He bit into his red bean-paste bread and sipped his white carton of milk through a straw right after.

"So," Jaejoong said, swallowing his meal, "since I've been pushed away from Jessica by you the most, shouldn't you share me something that she likes or dislikes?"

Yuri chewed her bottom lip. "Fine, but let's do this. If you share one dislike or like, I share you dislike or like, and vice versa. Is that good?"

"Sounds perfect to me!" Jaejoong exclaimed, putting his milk down. "But first, tell me something Jessica dislikes."

Yuri raised an eyebrow. "Don't you mean what she likes? She hates cucumbers, by the way."

"Cucumbers," Jaejoong repeated, nodding his head. "Great!"

"Wait, what are you planning to do? Please don't say something stupid," she pleaded.

"You'll see..." he muttered, grinning. "You'll see..."

 

After school, Jessica found a crowd of girls walking slower than usual and pointing at the school's entrance gate. When she looked up, she felt her heart stop for a second. Jaejoong was standing awkwardly among the crowd, and he seemed to be looking for her. Not only that, but sometimes the girls went up and asked to take a picture with him (which he politely refused) and without his consent, took a picture of him.

Is there another exit in this school? she wondered. She looked behind her, and groaned when she saw the large building stand tall and steady. Knowing that there was no way she could climb over the other side of the fence, she took a deep breath and walked forward, hoping that Jaejoong wouldn't see her. However, she felt a pair of cold hands wrapped around her wrist, and automatically knew who it was. She slowly turned around, then faked a smile.

"Oh, hey Jaejoong! I didn't see you there!" she lied. Suddenly, Jaejoong leaned forward, causing Jessica's heart to unexpectedly skip a beat.

"Let's go somewhere private," he whispered.

"W-Wait, what? I have to attend cram school and--"

"I have something in this picnic basket that you might like," Jaejoong said, raising up the large, wooden basket up in the air.

"Is it pizza? Because I'm dying to eat some pizza--"

"Sure, sure. Let's go!" Jaejoong exclaimed, tugging Jessica away from the school. Once they were a few streets away from the school, they arrived in front of a black car. He pushed Jessica into the back with the basket, and climbed in with her.

"Wait, you have a car?" she asked, widening her eyes.

"Nope. But the driver I hired with my money does," Jaejoong said. "He's outside for a few minutes, though. He'll be here soon. Do you want to eat right now?"

"Sure." However, her delighted expression turned into disgust when Jaejoong pulled out a fresh, green cucumber. She gasped for air and put her hands over and nose. "Ew! Is that cucumber?"

Jaejoong grinned and grabbed out a cutting board and a nice. He slowly sliced the cucumber in half, humming a tune as if he didn't recognize the passionate hate on Jessica's expression. After a few more minutes, Jessica began to kick her feet and complain.

"Ew, ew! Get that away from me!" she whined.

"Sure, but it'll come with a price," he replied, reaching to grab a bowl from the basket.

"I'll do whatever you say! Just please get that out of my face!" she shrieked.

"By anything, do you sincerely mean anything?" he asked.

"I'll do only one thing for you, just get that away from me!" Jessica shouted. Jaejoong grinned, then dumped the cucumbers and other materials back into the basket. He pulled out her out of the car, and flashed a wide grin.

"Okay! I'll see you on Saturday, at eleven o'clock in the morning. Where something nice, but not formal," Jaejoong said. At that very moment, the driver whom Jaejoong mentioned earlier arrived and slipped into the car. Jessica blinked her eyes.

"What?"

"What do you mean 'what'? It's a date, duh," he said. He climbed into the car, waved Jessica a goodbye through the window, then drove off. Jessica slowly waved back, and tried to process what had happened for the last few minutes.

He took away the cucumbers, then said something about Saturday and eleven in the morning. Then he said to wear something nice, but not formal. After that, he said that we're on a da... Jessica's eyes widened as she realized what she had agreed to do with Jaejoong on Saturday morning. Unknowingly, she began to blush and made her way to the train station, her mind too busy with the thought of the date she was going to have with him.

 

"One, two, three, four... Stop!" Yunho demanded, causing everyone to stop their tracks. No one dared to move as they watched him walk over to the CD player. He pressed the "stop" button, and looked up at everyone who stood still as a statue. He carefully walked along the rows of his dance members, fixing their poses and scolding them for not being in sync with the others. When he arrived at Yuri, though, everyone began to prepare themselves from Yunho's loud, harsh comments. Everyone knew that he disliked having Yuri around, and always stopped the music at an uncomfortable position. Yuri remained still, posing like a graceful swan with delicate wings that seemed to be resting on the sunlight.

"Your arm is too crooked and your toe is not pointed. Yuri, this is not ballet. This is hip-hop. Get a grip of yourself!" Yunho scolded her. Yuri grimaced, then frowned. She nodded her head, and avoided looking into Yunho's eyes.

Why do I love him even though he treats me like trash? she wondered.

"Again, from the top!" he shouted. Everyone loosened up and groaned. Donghae stepped up nervously while rubbing his neck.

"Um, Yunho?" he called. "We've been practicing the same moves for the past few hours. Aren't you exhausted? I just thought that we should take a break or something--"

"You want to take a break?" Yunho asked, tilting his head. He examined the dance crew, and finally noticed how they were soaked in sweat and their legs were shaking from standing and dancing too long. He heaved a sigh, cleared his throat, then clapped his hands twice. "Fine, we'll have a thirty minute break."

Everyone exchanged smiles and grins. They all scattered like little ants, reaching to go to a corner to hang out with their friends. Yuri sat next to Donghae, who finished down a bottle of water.

"Tough day, huh?" Donghae started. Yuri heaved a sigh and opened her can of soda.

"Definitely--" Suddenly, Yunho came over and swiped away the fizzy drink. Yuri widened her eyes and found a bottle of water in her hands. "Hey! That's my soda! Give it back--"

"With your body, you need to cut down the sugars. Your body is going to crash if you keep on eating sugar, Yuri. Common sense, duh!" Yunho exclaimed, flicking her forehead. Yuri's cheeks began to flush and she used her hands to cover them. Donghae, who had suddenly noticed her unusual behavior, became interested.

"I can eat sugar once in a while! Now give it back, I need that extra boost--"

"Hey! Someone named 'Jessica' is looking for you, Yuri," one of the dancers shouted. Yuri widened her eyes, and stood up. She completely forgot about Yunho and ran to the door, where the blushing blond was standing. For some reason, Yunho found it strange how red Jessica's cheeks were. She looked nervous and completely exhausted. His eyes slowly rolled to Yuri, who smiled brightly (and a bit confusingly) to her friend.

"Yunho," Donghae spoke up, "do you like Yuri?"

Yunho looked down and stared at Donghae with a blunt expression. "Huh?"

"I-I mean, don't get me wrong, but you seem to have a really close relationship with her. You keep on teasing her and you keep looking after her. Not to be cheesy, but you have this warm look in your eyes when you stare at her," he explained. There was a moment of silence. Then, Yunho raised his fingers and flicked them across Donghae's forehead, causing a large, red mark.

"You're stupid," Yunho muttered earnestly. "I have BoA, and only BoA."

Donghae bit his bottom lip, then stared at the palm of his head. "Ouch... Yeah, yeah. Good for you, you got someone who's been sleeping for a couple of months. Ow... Is my forehead bleeding?"

"Hey, I don't flick my fingers that hard," Yunho snapped. He shook his head, and placed the can of soda near the window. He walked in front of the mirror to watch himself stretch, but his eyes were on Yuri's reflection.