The Ice Cream Special

The Olive Branch

"I see you got a lot better."

"Shut up, Kwon Yuri. Go and practice dancing or something. I heard that you slacked off and had to dance for an extra hour yesterday."

Yuri's face turned red. "I-I did not slack off! I just... had to go somewhere..."

"Does that 'somewhere' include my house? Because a little someone left me a note saying how you came to my house when I clearly didn't want you there," Yunho said, showing her the note that he had read on the day he was sick. Yuri gasped and reached for the note. Then, she crumpled it up and threw it across the classroom. She smirked satisfying and crossed her arms.

"What proof do you have now?" she challenged him. Yunho smirked and shook his head. He looked up and searched for Jaejoong, who was nowhere to be found.

"Hey, have you seen Jaejoong?" he asked her. 

"Yeah. I saw him a few minutes ago before he gave me his phone number," Yuri replied. "I think he went to the bathroom."

Yunho raised an eyebrow. "Phone number? Jaejoong already got his phone replaced?"

"Yep. Don't tell me that you've never heard anything about this," she said, widening her eyes in shock. Yunho faked a laugh and waved his hand.

"No, no. I knew he got a new phone. I'm just shocked that he asked you for your number," he lied, forcing a proud smile. Yuri nodded her head and took out her phone. Yunho took a seat in front of her, and looked around the room. Then, he glanced back at Yuri, who kept smiling and laughing as she pressed her fingers against her phone.

"Who... Who're your texting?" Yunho asked. "Is it Jaejoong?"

Yuri looked up from her phone. "No... It's Jessica. She has free period right now, and has nothing to do. Did you know that there's this new ice cream shop? I would love to go there!"

"So you're going there with Jessica?" he questioned her.

"Mhm! But this . There's this couple special, and they get a fifty-percent discount for the Supreme Couple Sundae. Jessica said that it was so big, it's even bigger than the large cup they serve to the customers! I would totally love to get that special," Yuri said, aweing over the thought of eating the ice cream.

"Can I come?" a voice blurted behind them. Yuri and Yunho looked up and found Jaejoong wiping his wet hands against his own pants. Yunho stared at Jaejoong with a confused look while Yuri scowled.

"I really don't think it's a good idea for you to come, Jaejoong," Yuri started. "I know the reason why you want to come--"

"I'll go, too," Yunho blurted subconsciously. Yuri stared at him, while Jaejoong's expression brightened.

"Yeah, and we can get that sundae special you were mentioning about," Jaejoong added, taking a seat next to Yuri. "How about that? Does that sound good?"

Yuri gritted her teeth as she made a fist under the table. "Fine, but you're sharing that special with me, okay Jaejoong? I don't want you to be near Jessica in any way or form after what you've done to her."

Although the two were bickering with one another, Yunho was dazed. He only had one question spinning around his head: Why did Yuri want to share the sundae special with Jaejoong?

Then, a second thought popped up in his mind: Did Yuri like Jaejoong?

 

After school, Yuri, Yunho, and Jaejoong waited for Jessica inside the ice cream shop. Yuri made Jaejoong sit next to her, not wanting him to be near her friend. This left Yunho confused, and a bit envious of Jaejoong's position. When Jessica came inside the shop, Jaejoong was the first to notice.

"Jessica!" he called, waving his hand. Jessica gave him a puzzled look, then she stared at Yuri. Yuri gestured her to sit down next to Yunho, who closed the menu. Jessica took her seat next to Yunho. She gave him a short smile, a big grin at Yuri, then a frown at Jaejoong. Jaejoong narrowed his eyes, disliking Jessica's reaction towards him.

"So, what are we getting?" Jessica asked, opening the menu Yunho was holding. A waitress came, and smiled at them.

"Two of those Supreme Couple Sundaes, please," Yunho said.

"Wait, but I wanted chocolate--"

"It's a fifty-percent discount, Jessica," Yuri interrupted. "Just get the special."

The waitress smiled. "Sure. You get two free toppings on those, too."

Jaejoong looked at Jessica. "What do you want? I want peanuts on mine."

Jessica blinked her eyes. "Wait, I'm sharing it with you? W--"

"Jessica, maybe you'd like sprinkles. Do you want sprinkles?" Yuri asked, giving Jessica a look to go along with them. Jessica nodded her head, confused.

"I'd like to have those cookies and cream, please," Jessica replied.

"Okay, one special with peanut and cookies and cream. How about you two?" the waitress asked, smiling at Yunho and Yuri.

"Strawberries," the two said in unison. They looked up at each other with wide eyes. The waitress gave them a cheesy grin.

"You two are such a lovely couple!" the worker exclaimed. Yuri turned beet red as Yunho cleared his throat nervously.

"I-I mean... no toppings for me. Too much strawberry won't make the sundae taste good," he muttered.

"Okay. So I got one special sundae with peanuts and cookies and creams, and another special with just strawberries. Is that all?" Everyone shook their heads. The waitress thanked them, and left to get their order. Yuri fanned herself with her hand, and exhaled loudly. Jessica leaned forth with her right arm on the table.

"What's going on?" Jessica asked. "I come here and I see one jerk and one guy eating a ice cream with us, not to mention the couple sundae."

"Hey," Jaejoong snapped. "I might not be a genius, but I do know that the 'one jerk' is me. We volunteered to come so that you guys could get the special and a discount. In other words, you should be thanking us."

Jessica growled. The same waitress came, and handed them the specials. She left, and the four were left to think how they would share the meal. Yuri realized how she was sitting in front of Yunho, and for a second she was thinking of sharing the ice cream with him. She blushed, and then glanced next to her, seeing how Jaejoong was staring at Jessica. She narrowed her eyes, then stomped on his feet. Jaejoong yelped and raised his leg, kicking his knee against the table. The large sundae toppled over, causing the ice cream to stain Jessica's clothes. Jessica dropped her jaws, and Yuri gasped in guilt. Jaejoong panicked and grabbed a bunch of tissues.

"Oh my gosh," Jaejoong muttered. "I am so sorry, Jessica! I didn't mean to--"

"Stop, stop!" Jessica cried, pushing Jaejoong away. She stood up and narrowed her eyes. "Excuse me, but I'll be at the bathroom cleaning myself up."

She stormed away to the bathroom, leaving Jaejoong stunned. Yunho smirked, and tried to suppress his laugh. Jaejoong glared at him.

"This isn't funny!" he exclaimed. He spun around and turned to Yuri. "Why'd you stomp on my feet?"

"You gave goo-goo eyes to Jessica. It was really irritating," she replied, sticking her tongue out. "I told you, there's no way that I'll let you even near Jessica, especially after what you've done to her at the night on my birthday!"

"What did you do, Jaejoong?" Yunho asked, scooping up a spoonful of ice cream. He shoved the ice cream into his mouth, savoring the sweet, cold flavor. Jaejoong's ears turned bright red. He shook his head and grabbed a bunch of tissues to clean up the mess he made. Ignoring Yunho, Jaejoong whistled a tune, hoping that the dancer wouldn't question him anymore. Yunho frowned, obviously knowing that he was being avoided.

"So," Yuri started. "Is the ice cream good?"

Yunho was about to tell her to eat it for herself until he remembered how she had helped him get better with the porridge she made. He paused, then scooped a bit of ice cream with the plastic spoon. Without warning her, he shoved the food in , causing Yuri to widen her eyes. Her cheeks turned pink, but Yunho failed to recognize this. He pulled away his spoon slowly, letting the smooth, white surface brush against her lips for a few seconds.

"It's good, right?" Yunho asked. Yuri nodded her head as she covered her lips with her hands. 

Indirect kiss, she thought, seeing Yunho slice up a banana and eat it with the same spoon he used to feed her. Feeling hot and dizzy, Yuri got up and her lips.

"Uh, uh, uh... I g-got to go," she stammered. She grabbed her bag and bowed at the two. "I-If Jessica's searching for me, tell her that I l-left for practice!"

Yunho stared at her. "But we don't have any practice--"

"Thank you for the special! H-Here's the c-cash," she said, digging into her bag. She pulled out three fresh green bills. Without bidding a goodbye, she dashed out of the shop, her face red. Jaejoong stared at the money she left and frowned.

"She over-paid us," Jaejoong said. He was just about to get up until he heard his phone ring. He fished out his phone from his pocket and opened the new message. He read the message once, then twice. He continued to read the same message over and over again, confused and lost. He stared Yunho, who continued to eat the sundae.

"Who is it?" Yunho asked.

"Yuri," he replied shortly. He read the message again, then scratched his head. 

I think I like Yunho, the message read. Jaejoong looked back at Yunho. Finally, Jessica came back. She had her school's blazer off, but still wore her white blouse. She took her seat in front of Jaejoong, hoping that he wouldn't spill. It took her a few seconds to realize that there was one person missing.

"Where's Yuri?" she asked, searching for her friend around the building.

"She went to practice," Yunho replied.

"No," Jaejoong said, pressing his lips. "I think she's on cloud nine."