The Avoiding One

The Olive Branch

"Achoo!" Yuri sneezed, then rubbed her red those with a tissue. She groaned in pain and clutched her head with her pale hands. Jessica gave her a worried look.

"You've been sneezing nonstop since your birthday. Honestly, you should've told me that your phone was stolen! You should've asked Yunho for his phone, or use a public phone," Jessica pointed out.

"Ugh... I was thinking about that--Achoo!--but I figured that if I were to ask him, he would say no. Plus, I couldn't find any public phones for some reason. I planned to use the public phone near the dance building, but--Achoo! Achoo!--the taxi got a flat tire and we took another cab home later," Yuri mumbled. Jessica sighed and patted her friend's head in sympathy.

"Poor you. Well, I got enough sleep because of that really boring movie Jaejoong took me to. When I woke up, Jaejoong kept avoiding me. I guess he was going to cry, but didn't want me to see him," Jessica said. "The movie didn't seem that sad, though. Maybe he's just emotional?"

"I don't know if he's emotional, but I do see him over there. Look," Yuri said, using her finger to point at Jaejoong. Jessica looked up, and met eyes with him. She tried to smile, but then he had turned away. He continued to walk with his hands in his pocket, and used his thumb to increase the volume of his music. Jessica frowned a bit, and grabbed on her bag's strap. 

That's weird, she thought. "Is he... avoiding me?"

"No, you're over-thinking," Yuri assured her. "He's always like that."

"Re... Really?" she stammered.

"I'm very sure. Here, if you're still unsure about this, I'll go talk to him at school, okay?"

 

"What? You're avoiding Jessica? Why in the world would you want to avoid my best friend!" Yuri shouted. It was lunch, and she willingly decided to eat her meal with Jaejoong since majority of the girls were already in their own little circle. Yunho was absent because apparently he had caught a hold. In her head, Yuri thought that he had a weak body. However, she didn't really blame him. She also had a headache, and knew that a cold was coming up.

"I... I don't know," Jaejoong said, chewing on his red-bean paste bread. "My body just turns away from her."

"Do you hate her?" Yuri asked him. He gave her a look of shock. "I mean, you don't have to answer, but I wouldn't mind if you hated her."

"I-I... How could I hate her!" he exclaimed. "After what I did that ni--"

He stopped and bit his tongue. Yuri raised an eyebrow. She put down her chopsticks to the side and leaned forward with a quizzical frown. Jaejoong gulped nervously and coughed a bit.

"Ah... By the way, Yuri, you sound pretty sick. Did you catch a cold? It was pretty snowy on your birthday," Jaejoong said, trying to change the subject. Instead of replying, Yuri slammed her hand in front of him. A few students glanced at them, but quickly ignored them after Jaejoong shot them a glare.

"What did you do to Jessica?" Yuri snapped. She coughed a bit. "Did you take advantage of her while she was sleeping during the movie?"

Jaejoong choked on a grain of bread. Yuri widened her eyes and stood up from her seat. She gasped loudly, as Jaejoong's cheeks turned red and looked away. She was too stunned to glare or scream at him.

"Y-Y-You... I can't believe you did such a thing!" she said, raising her voice.

"It was only a kiss!" he blurted. Yuri dropped her jaws, and it took him a moment to realize what he had just told her. Jaejoong, knowing that he had clearly messed up, groaned and put his hand over his head. Yuri groaned, and sat back down at her seat with a headache.

"So Jessica doesn't know that you kissed her, right?" Yuri asked. "More importantly, where did you kiss her?"

"On the cheeks--"

"Really?"

"... No. I kissed her on the lips," he answered, ashamed. He hid his face in his arms, while Yuri just stared at him. She couldn't believe a word he was saying. Why would he even try to kiss Jessica? Unless...

"Jaejoong, don't get so defensive or anything, but do you perhaps like Jessica?" she questioned him. Jaejoong slightly looked up from his arms. The way Yuri was staring at him told him that there was no way he could avoid the truth. He his half of his face in his arm and avoided Yuri's eyes.

"I think," he responded. Yuri groaned and rubbed the side of her head. 

No, this isn't good... This definitely isn't good, she thought.

 

School finally ended, and Jessica was packing up. She had cram school afterwards, and she wanted to get to the train station early. As she was putting her homework in her school bag, she heard Donghae and a few of his friends whisper in an argument. She wanted to help him out, but then she was already running late. After she closed her bag, Donghae suddenly popped in front of her. She gasped, and stared at him with wide eyes.

"Um... Hello, Donghae," she greeted him awkwardly.

"Jessica, you know Yunho, right?" Donghae asked.

"Of course. He's Yuri's rival--"

"Perfect! Do you know where he lives?" he asked. Jessica shook her head. He bit his bottom lip, and then grabbed a piece of paper from his pocket. He grabbed a nearby pencil on the ground and quickly scribbled an address. "This is Yunho's address. Can you do me a favor and visit him?"

Jessica's eyes enlarged a bit when he shoved the crumbled paper in her hands. "Wait, what's this for?"

"Yunho caught a cold, and he's not coming to practice today. I'm supposed to lead the dancers for the new choreography, but I won't have time to do that if I go visit Yunho. I already bought a cup noodle. It's in my bag. Hold up, let me bring it over here," Donghae said. He rushed back to his desk and dug for a plastic bag in his bag. He scurried over to Jessica again and shoved the bag in her hands. "Just tell Yunho that it was from me, Donghae. Oh, and if you're worried about being alone with a guy, don't worry. Jaejoong doesn't go to tutor, and he said that he's visiting Yunho, too."

"Then shouldn't you give this to Jaejoong?" she asked.

"Well, he's taking a different route. It's his 'secret route' or something. It's much faster to just go there instead of meeting up with Jaejoong," Donghae explained. His phone rang, and he quickly took a peek. "Shoot. I got to go. Thank you so much, Jessica! Bye!"

He rushed out of the room, leaving Jessica speechless. She checked her watch, then the address of Yunho's house. She bit her bottom lip, irritated over how irresponsible Donghae was.

If I run right now, then I might be able to make it to this other tutor place, Jessica thought. She heaved a sigh and began to walk quickly down the stairs. This . This really, really .