The Judgement

The Olive Branch

After Yuri, Yunho, and Jaejoong finished their lunch (fortunately, it went smoother than they had originally thought), they headed over to a shoe store only a floor away. They took the elevator since Jaejoong felt too sick to take the stairs. In the elevator, the three of them climbed aboard, having a mixed reaction on thinking about shopping. Yuri squealed with delight and clapsed her hands, obviously showing that she was looking forward to shopping. Yunho looked at his wallet, checking his bills and worrying if she would start a shopping marathon. Meanwhile, Jaejoong was squished at the corner of the elevator, clutching his stomach from possibly eating too much or eating the wrong parts of the meals.

Ah... Maybe I should've stayed away from eating the vegetables, he thought, regretting about finishing his entire plate. Seeing how upset Jessica was made him feel guilty. Therefore, he had eaten everything on his plate and made Yunho finish his, too (Yuri had a lot of fun seeing him suffer during dinner).

Ding!

The elevator opened its door, and Yuri squealed in delight. She grabbed Jaejoong's hand and pulled him out of the crowded box, leaving Yunho to come out on his own. Yunho grunted, and looked behind him as the doors began to close. He dusted his suit and glared at the elevator.

"Next time, we take the stairs!" Yunho exclaimed. "That elevator was so crowded! Ugh, and a baby almost threw up on me and..."

"Yunho, don't tell me that you've never been a mall before," Yuri said.

Yunho pulled on his sleeve. "Of course I have! I've been to a mall... at my house. Not at a public mall like this one."

"You have a mall at your house?!" she exclaimed. Her eyes twinkled as she grabbed Yunho's hands. "You'll let me go there, right? Please?"

Yunho slightly blushed and looked away. "W-What? Why would I let you at my house? You know what? I see Jessica. Let's just go and catch up with her."

She turned around, and found Jessica checking out at a row of high heels inside the store. Seeing how Jaejoong was already making his way towards Jessica, Yuri suddenly had an idea. She grabbed Yunho's arm and pulled him away from the shop. He widened his eyes in surprise, and glanced back and forth at Jessica, then at Yuri.

"What are you doing? Isn't that Jessica?" Yunho asked her.

She put her finger on her lips. "Sh! Let's leave those two for a moment."

"What? Wait, why?"

"Well, obviously if you and Jaejoong are with us, guys aren't going to be attracted to us. So I'm splitting us up," she explained. When she saw Yunho's confused expression, she rolled her eyes. "Don't you get it? I want my friend to have a happy life, which includes a nice boyfriend! Jaejoong can be there to just supervise, and if some weird guy tries to hit on her, he can punch the weirdo or something!"

"But if Jaejoong is going to do that, doesn't that mean that he has to be close to her?" he asked.

"Not at all! Jaejoong isn't the easiest guy to get along with. Therefore, he won't even bother to get closer to Jessica. That's why it's perfect! See? Look at them. Jessica and Jaejoong only exchange glances, but that's it," Yuri pointed out.

"Then why do I have to be with you? I want to switch places with Jaejoong," Yunho whined.

Yuri groaned. "Oh, stop being a baby and come with me! I want to date someone, too. Here, I sent Jessica a text, okay? Now let's go!"

Yuri dragged him to another store, leaving Yunho staring at Jessica and Jaejoong. He slightly frowned to himself as an odd feeling swoop through his heart. Was it a good feeling or a bad one? At that moment, he couldn't tell.

 

Jessica stared at her phone for the longest time. Anger boiled in her blood as her eyes read the same text over and over again. If there was a wooden pencil nearby, she wouldn't mind breaking it. She whirled around, and found Jaejoong staring at a pair of orange high heels. He glanced at Jessica, and slightly widened his eyes when he noticed her glaring at him.

"Y-Yes?" he asked nervously.

"Did you know what Yuri was planning?" Jessica questioned him.

He frowned. "What? What are you talking about? The birthday girl is right over there with Yun-- Woah!" He widened his eyes. "W-Where did they go?"

She eyes at him with suspicion. "Are you acting, or are you telling the truth? Do you really not know why Yuri was kidnapped by Yunho?"

"H-Huh? Look, as far as I know of, Yunho would never kidnap a girl like Yuri. I can assure you, he's deeply inlove with another woman," Jaejoong promised her. The dark expression on her face disappeared.

"You mean BoA?" she asked. "Who is she, anyways?"

"Kwon Boa was one of Yunho's back-up dancers," he started. "She was also a better dancer than Yunho, like Yuri. Except the only difference between the two is that BoA got along with Yunho just fine! She also corrected his mistakes, and made Yunho love dancing. The only problem was that she already had a boyfriend, and couldn't return her love for Yunho."

"Wait, he confessed?"

"Not exactly. He was especially nice to her. That gave her a hint that he liked her. He never expressed his feelings, though. He was just really nice to her. Anyways, once her ex-boyfriend ditched her for some other girl, Yunho thought that he could take cover." Jaejoong paused, then chuckled. "But Yunho was really slow. BoA's ex-boyfriend came and asked for a second chance. To celebrate, they went out on his new motorcycle and went for a ride. Except..."

"They got into an accident? Was that it?" Jessica questioned him.

"Yeah... Her boyfriend died, though. He was a goner. BoA kind of lived..."

"What do you mean by 'kind of'?"

Jaejoong gulped, and grabbed a pair of white heels from the counter. "Well, BoA is in coma. Yunho's been paying a lot of money to keep her alive. Everyone tells him that there's no hope, but he still wants to give her a chance."

They walked over to the cashier. Jessica skipped right besides him, forgetting about how Yuri had ditched her. She was too interested in the little story Jaejoong was telling her. She pressed her lips, then watched the employee put the shoes in a nice box with a pink ribbon.

"Well, what do you think about this? Do you think it's right?"

Jaejoong stopped. He slowly turned to her, then shrugged his shoulders. 

"I can't judge him," he responded. 

"Why not? Everyone can judge a person," Jessica said, watching him take the wrapped-up gift. "I can judge you right now, too."

Jaejoong snatched the bag and paid for the shoes. "Because I don't know how he felt about that time."

"Sure you do," she responded. "He probably felt devastated."

"That's how you interpret what I think. Sure, everyone can think that he's devastated. But he's Yunho, and he's one of a kind. The only person who can truly understand him is himself. No matter how much empathy a person has, they will never understand the exact feeling of another person," he explained, walking out of the store.

Jessica frowned and tilited her head in confusion. "I don't get it. What does that have to do with judging?"

Jaejoong paused, then chuckled. "No matter how long or how much I judge him, I won't judge him correctly. So it's best if I don't judge him. When humans judge each other, they all think that they're right to judge someone, even when they don't get to know the person."

"So?"

"Jessica, do you still not understand?" He heaved a sigh. "Everyone has a different point of view in life, and there's several point of views. The views might be close, but never the same. And even if they do think it's the same, there's at least one thing that's different about their views. Yunho has his own views about BoA. Me? I have my own, too, but to say that it's Yunho's isn't right. Right there, what I just said a second ago, is what a person with or without empathy will not quite understand."

Having a headache from their complicated conversation, Jessica decided to change the subject. She walked next to Jaejoong and curiously glanced at the box. 

"What's that?" she asked. "Who's it for? Your sister? Mom?"

Jaejoong stiffened. "No. I don't have a sister, and my mom..." He paused, then shook his head. "It's for Yuri. I haven't gotten her a birthday present yet."

What happened to talking about your mom? Jessica wondered. "Oh, I see. Do you think Yunho's going to get something for her, too?"

"Yunho has a lot of money. He's probably going to spoil her today," he replied.

"Even when he hates her? You know, I'm impressed. I didn't think that Yunho would actually go along with this today," she said, clasping her hands together.

Jaejoong let out a light laugh. "It's her birthday. I think Yunho knows what he has to do."

"But it's so strange. Yesterday, they were having a really loud quarrel, and now they're getting along like they were best friends!"

"Well, maybe Yunho sees her as a girl today. I mean, come on. If a girl orders a salad when she really wants a steak to impress another guy, I think Yunho can tell that she can be pretty girly, too."

"Hopefully things go well for them. I'd hate to create a chaos around here," Jessica mumbled.