chapter fourteen.

Pandora

 SHIN HYESUNG - MEMORIES OF LAST SUMMER


Minyoung sighed as she rubbed her forehead. For days, she had been studying for the finals. She had gotten more stressed. A cup of hot cocoa was set in front of her. Minyoung looked up, seeing Sehun smiling as sweetly as ever. "I thought you could have a cup of cocoa," he said as he leaned against her desk and looked at her. She said a thanks with her soft voice and pulled out a bottle of her blue pills. Sehun immediately grabbed Minyoung's wrist when she was about to open the bottle. "You shouldn't take that..." he said.
Minyoung sighed as she glanced elsewhere. "I need to if I want to pass the finals..." she said.
"But you don't have to." Sehun took the bottle of pills away from her. "You don't need pills to study. It'll just give you stress. You know, a way what I do is... I try to believe in what I can do. If I can't, then... There's always another chance. But seeing you, the finals are just important to you because of this family competition. Maybe if you just stop studying for a day, and, maybe you'll be able to study well."

"I already spent Christmas break being distracted by you," Minyoung mumbled.
"Yeah, but whenever I leave, you're studying," Sehun said. "So, guess what we're doing today." Minyoung stayed silent. "You, are not going to study for a whole day. But, you're going to be out with me, having the best day of your life!" he said. He grabbed her wrist and dragged her out of her loft, grabbing his own and Minyoung's jacket. 

The two walked out of the building, finding the ground covered with a foot of snow. Minyoung sighed as she looked at the white wonderland around her. When she turned to a 90º angle away from Sehun, she was hit with a snowball. Minyoung paused, her eyes slightly rounded. She heard Sehun's laughter behind her. "Step one to having a relaxing day, have fun and that there are no other steps," he said, grinning as he formed another snowball in his hands. "C'mon! Pick up some snow and throw it!" he challenged. Minyoung glanced at the white ground, and clenched her hands from the coldness. She wasn't wearing any gloves or mittens. Sehun's smile faded he turned away. "Or if you don't like snowball fights... Then I guess we could find something else-" He was hit in the head with a snowball, making him turn back to Minyoung, he let out a chuckle and grinned, "Nice aim," he commented and threw another snowball at Minyoung, who dodged the snowball. She threw another at his arm. He grabbed his arm and fell on the ground. Minyoung paused and looked at Sehun. She walked up to him and looked down at him. Sehun lie still on the ground, eyes closed. Minyoung raised a brow. "Rawr!" Sehun said, jumping up, tackling Minyoung onto the ground, making him sit on top of her. He laughed as he let the snow drop onto Minyoung's face from his hands. "Oh ho~ You mad?" he questioned, as he got up.

Minyoung sighed and stood up, glancing at Sehun who was getting ready to run away. He stopped and laughed. "Alright, alright, let's go. I'll get you some real hot cocoa, the one I made tasted bad," he said. He reached out and grabbed Minyoung's cool hands. "Are you cold?" he asked. He dug his hands into his pockets and pulled out a pair of white mittens, carefully slipping them onto her hands. "You have tiny hands," he commented. He took hold of one of her hand and put it in his pocket.

The day dragged. Sehun shared smiles and laughs throughout the day, Minyoung, little process of both. She always felt the need to smile, to laugh, but in the end, she didn't have the courage to show them. She felt like a coward about not showing her expression, but at least she was getting closer. Night grew closer and closer, and the winter weather was cooler than earlier. All day, Sehun had been throwing snowballs at Minyoung, but she never fought back. He took her to Myeongdong, bought her numerous cups of coffee, saying that it'll get her very hyper. He tried everything he could to get Minyoung relaxed for a day. His last stop was the Han River.

The two leaned against the railing of the bridge and looked out at the city. Sehun sighed and smiled. "Ah~ I miss coming here. I used to come here to relieve stress, usually after finals," he said, and inhaled. He looked at Minyoung. "Are you less stress now?" he asked. Minyoung shook her head. Sehun sighed and stood behind her, his hands at her shoulders. "Maybe this would help? I always do this for my grandmother," he said, and began massaging her shoulders. His smile faded and he suddenly asked, "Minyoung... Have you ever had anyone special in your life?" Minyoung looked up at his sudden question. "I mean... I have my grandmother by my side all the time, and she's my special person in my life. But... You... What about you?" he asked.

Minyoung pressed her lips into a thin line. "I have no one," she simply answered.
"What about before?" he asked.
Minyoung stayed quiet for a moment, as if she didn't want to answer. "Jaesun..."
Sehun paused from her answer and put his hands down at his side. "Jaesun?"
"He and I... Used to be very close... Before all this crap happened. Blame my parents if you want..." she said. "He used to be like every protective brother. Almost... Like you... Except, he doesn't really like me around him. We grew apart... Then, high school started for me, and our parents were making us compete against each other."

Sehun pressed his lips into a line. "You live in a... Harsh environment..." he said.
Minyoung shrugged. "Why do you think I spend my days in my room studying all night? Because of Jaesun being the oldest, my parents expect me to be at least better than Jaesun, but they think that it's impossible for me to be better than him at something... Only Hyunchan was supportive."
His arms were wrapped around her, resting his chin on her shoulder. "You don't really belong in a family like that... But, you're always invited to my family. We have a lot of room for you," he said, smiling at her.

Minyoung looked at him. "No thank you..." she said.
Sehun frowned. "Why not?"
She let out an exhale. "The reason why I let you drag me out of that house was because I wanted to show my family that I'm better than Jaesun, that I'm an adult, and I understand life more than my brother. I want to show them that I don't give up, and that I'm hardworking. If I don't, they won't treat me right..."
Sehun looked at her, and suddenly chuckled. "The first time you finally tell me something about your life. I see that I've already enhanced your social life."

A moment of silence surrounded the two. "Have you ever cried about all the stress you've been through?" he asked, looking at Minyoung with worried eyes.
Minyoung looked at him with narrow eyes. "If I cry, it shows that I'm weak. That means my parents will think of me as a giving up crybaby. I don't know why... But, whenever I study, my stress is relieved, everything is blocked out from my mind. Suddenly, ever since I got kicked out... It became such stress..."
"What about now?" Sehun asked.
"Because of you..." She started hesitating for the right words to say. "I feel more relaxed, less stressed..." she admitted.

Sehun smiled as he gazed at her. "Quick question, why don't you like to smile?" he asked.
Minyoung exhaled before answering, "Smiling reminds me of the great past I had, looking to the present, it just makes everything in my life worse. Everything I had, was a lie, and it's all gone."
"You should smile more around me, because, I am now part of your memories~" he said, poking her forehead. "And you will remember me forever!"
Minyoung moved his hand away from her. "Do whatever you do, I won't smile. It requires me using too much muscles in my face."

"Aish, you're hard to please," he said. "But I'm used to you." He gave her a wide grin. "So, did you have an amazing day?!" he asked. Minyoung shrugged. "From now on, you, Minyoung, will have the privilege to smile or cry around the great Oh Sehun!"
"You know that the school year is going to end soon for us two, right?" Minyoung asked.
Sehun's smile disappeared. "Yeah, what about it?"
Minyoung sighed and said, "You should know what I'm talking about," and turned away, walking back to the city.
"No I don't know!" he shouted as he ran up to catch up with her. "Tell me!"


Okay, sorry for a weird short update. I've been very busy with school. and glad that I have a little more time since I don't have after school classes on Thursdays anymore. So. Yeah. And only a week and I can give you guys real updates.
WHOA. WAIT. It's not even close to finishing you guys, Minyoung still has a lot to tell. ;D
And is it just me, or did AFF's homepage change?