Fear

The Man who never Dies

So Eun shivered as she crouched on her bed with her blanket covering her entire length of her body.

She squeezed her eyes shut and her bottom lip trembled. "His blood..." she whispered fearfully. "His blood flowed back...back into his wound." she couldn't get the image out of her head. "The wound closed up by itself. Like magic."

So Eun choked a sob of fear and hugged her blanket tighter. "What the hell is Daehyun? He isn't human." she cried. "What the hell? What the hell???"

A knock on the door made So Eun freeze in her position. She opened a gap amongst the blankets and only allowed her eyes to see around her. Her gaze fixed on her locked door which was trembling from the subsequent knocks.

"So Eun, please calm down, I can explain this."

So Eun's eyes widened. It was Daehyun's voice.

She let out a shrill of fear involutarily and hid under the blankets again. "Go away!" she shrieked. "Don't come near me. No!" she hugged her pillow and cried.

This was like a horror movie, those that Zelo liked to watch but she hated so much. She could never stand watching shutter or anything like that. But this was real life, and worse.

Worse because this was Jung Daehyun, a guy she really knew. Daehyun was a friend, someone important to her even though he was distant at times and cute at others. Daehyun, he was important to her because he occupied her mind without her consent and she couldn't do anything about it.

To think that she cared so much about what he thought, about what he felt, about him. She cared.

And Daehyun wasn't human.

What the hell was he then? Which human could heal so quickly as that?

His little bruises and wounds weren't that obvious in the past. It was like when you fell down and bled, the blood would stop flowing in a matter of a few hours and dry up. But for the entire mark to disappear it might take a few weeks. The deeper and larger the wound, the faster it would take to recover.

Same for Daehyun's case.

Except his healing speed was a thousand times faster than a regular human. Seriously, it was freaky. He was a freak through a through. So Eun didn't want to think that way but she couldn't help it.

She didn't want to be afraid of Daehyun since she could see their relationship improving these days. She was finally breaking some of that ice around him, he was finally reacting some to her. And now what was happening? She found out that Daehyun wasn't human.

No wonder he never needed the band aids, he never needed medication. No wonder he didn't seem to fall sick ever, no wonder he could move so quickly to save her in the cafeteria in the past. No wonder...

So Eun felt another tear drop.

Why did it have to be him?

 

 

Daehyun jerked up when he saw So Eun come down for breakfast the next morning.

Things had taken so fast a turn that he couldn't believe it. First, he was getting closer to So Eun than it would be considered safe. He knew he shouldn't be spending so much time with her but he couldn't help it, he couldn't stay away.

Then, he was trying to convince himself to stay mean and cold to her, trying to strategize ways to keep her near him physically but emotionally, have him hate her.

And now? It wasn't him trying to do the avoiding. It was So Eun.

She hadn't spoken a word to him the whole of last night even though he stood guard by her bedroom door. When she tried to come out of her room to go to the bathroom to wash up for bed, she saw him and she let out a squeal, darting back into her room and slamming the door shut.

She didn't tell her parents anything, nor the BAP boys, apparently, judging from how they weren't asking vampire hunters or exorcists to come kill him straight away.

It gave him comfort to think that perhaps she still cared about where he was going to live if she chased him away, about his welfare. But then again perhaps she had been too frightened of him to think of anything else.

It hurted, bad. To turn away from the girl he loved was bad enough. To initially be so mean to her that she didn't like him was worse. And then he had to endure how she slowly warmed up to him and he couldn't be nice back.

And now? She feared him.

It was evident in the way her entire posture froze at the top of the stairs when her gaze connected with his. Her face ran white immediately and she looked away, shivering slightly. She bit her lip and closed her puffy red eyes, furrowing her brows slightly.

She was afraid of him.

Daehyun cursed inwardly and glanced down at the freaking wound on his hand that had caused all the trouble in the first place. It was gone.

So Eun treaded carefully to the breakfast table and she chose the seat furthest away from Daehyun, even edging away in her seat as if the entire table between them wasn't enough distance. She greeted her parents meekly and bit into a toast, her eyes avoiding Daehyun's even though he kept his trained on her the whole time.

He couldn't stand it, and it made things harder too. If So Eun feared him and avoided him, how was he supposed to protect her from the curse when the day of her eighteenth birthday came? If she wasn't near him, he couldn't do anything to help at all. The trick this whole time was to keep her physically near but emotionally distant. He was failing.

So Eun could barely finish half a toast before she declared herself full and went to grab her bag quickly. Mrs Kim frowned at Daehyun questioningly and Daehyun looked away, pretending not to see. He grabbed his own bag quickly and hurried after her, worried that at her state, she might run away without him.

They joined the rest of the BAP boys as they went to school together, So Eun in a strange state of utter quietness. She didn't utter a word and avoided all conversations. Daehyun could see how she would try to distant herself even when they were walking as a group, how she would walk the furthest from him.

She was scared, completely freaked by him. He had to give it to her to be able to pretend nothing happened when they were with the other boys. He half expected her to shout out to the whole neighborhood about him and for her to buy the first ticket to the north pole and stay there.

The entire day continued with So Eun trying to avoid Daehyun when he tried to talk to her.

He sat right next to her and he did everything he could think of. Throwing notes, nudging, elbowing, tugging on her hair, even shifting his chair next to hers. It only resulted in So Eun changing seats with the oblivious Zelo and Daehyun couldn't do anything to stop it.

Even Youngjae noticed something was up and he came to ask Daehyun about it. "Yah, did something happen between you and So Eun? Don't think I never realized how she has been avoiding you the whole time today." he frowned.

Daehyun looked away, clearing his throat. "Nothing."

"Nothing?" Youngjae retorted. "She wouldn't look like she saw a ghost everytime her eyes set on you. Tell me seriously, did you do anything to her? I won't forgive you if you did, and don't forget, the rest of the BAP boys has got her back as well."

Daehyun frowned, offended. "I didn't do anything to her, alright? Do I look like I would?"

Youngjae smirked. "No. You've fallen too deep to." he murmured. Daehyun looked away, annoyed at how Youngjae could see things so clearly.

Youngjae leaned closer, interested. "Really, I'm interested. What did you do to scare her away like this? Did you confess?" he asked curiously. "I didn't think her reaction would be like this if you did."

"I did nothing alright?" Daehyun ignored Youngae for the rest of the period. Nothing except show her who he really was.

-----

"So Eun, we need to talk about what you saw last nigh-"

"I'm busy Daehyun. And there's no need to talk." So Eun spoke really quickly and she darted out of the school gates before any of the BAP boys could follow. Daehyun let out a sigh and rubbed his temples. , if she was going to ignore him like this till her birthday, her death seemed inevitable. She might even die when he wasn't looking and without his knowledge if this kept up.

Daehyun quickly grabbed his bag to follow So Eun, worried.

So Eun looked like death as she trudged back home lifelessly. She wanted to tell someone about what she saw but she didn't know who she could tell, and who would believe her either?

Daehyun followed behind her, just making sure she didn't get knocked down by cars or bicycles. He had to give her time to cool off before talking to her, to wait till she would come to him for explanations willingly. She wasn't going to listen to him if the first thing she did when he spoke was scream.

So Eun went to the park near their house and sat at a bench, hugging her bag. She was waiting for Daehyun to go home before she would at night, he knew. She was taking avoiding someone to a greater extent.

Daehyun sighed and sat at another bench that was in view of hers. "So Eun...am I that scary?" he whispered.

-----

It was already night.

So Eun had skipped dinner as well and Daehyun was beginning to worry. He couldn't have her skip her meals because of him. She wasn't making any move to signal that she was going to return home and Daehyun didn't know what to do.

He couldn't possibly show up in front of her because it would scare her. He had to show up as someone else.

Daehyun lit up and he rumaged his bag for his jacket. He zipped it all the way up so that his top of the uniform couldn't be seen. With his jacket, his navy blue uniform pants looked like regular jeans. Daehyun pulled on his beanie and the mask he always brought around, and no one could tell he was wearing school uniform anymore.

Daehyun inched nearer to So Eun, glad to have his disguise.

If he couldn't tell her to go home as Jung Daehyun, he was going to have to tell her that as the masked man.