Confession

The Man who never Dies

 

So Eun looked between her friends and blinked, slightly suspicious. Something was going on right here.

Ever since they met up in the morning to go to school together, the boys had been acting weird. They were jumpy when she talked to them and kept glancing at Jongup. When she looked at Jongup, the poor boy wouldn't look at her in the eye.

And Daehyun, oh Daehyun. That guy had been acting weird since the day before and he seemed to be on a mission to avoid her. And So Eun didn't even know what happened to cause him to act this way.

She tried to remember if she did anything weird when she had been drunk two nights before but couldn't remember anything at all. She concluded that the prude she was, Kim So Eun, would never do anything indecent even when she was drunk so she didn't really think she offended him or scared him away.

These boys, aish. They were so random and tempermental at times.

So Eun scratched her head and tried to figure them out. Even though these boys were a little difficult to understand at times, their shells were easy to break into. So Eun figured that living so close to these boys for so many years, there wasn't anything that she hadn't experienced with them before. This must have been one of those video games losing moments that made them strange for the weirdest reasons.

"Yah Zelo." So Eun decided to attack the youngest one. "Can you tell Noona what's going on? Why are your hyungs behaving so weirdly, seriously. Especially Jongup."

Zelo immediately froze up and he his lips nervously. "Robot battery fla-"

"Oh no don't you try that." So Eun poked his waist and Zelo jumped. "Tell me!" she demanded. "And no battery flat thing because you're not a robot for goodness sake."

Zelo squirmed under So Eun's glare and he whined. "Noona!!!"

"Aish So Eun don't force him." Youngjae plucked her away. "The maknae won't budge and I won't either. You'll find out sooner or later so just be patient won't you?" he grumbled. He frowned at Daehyun and was still slightly angry with the hyung. He thought Daehyun really liked So Eun! So what was that guy doing!

So Eun sulked and trudged along with the guys to school. She glanced at Daehyun and the guy was another one who tried all methods to avoid eye contact with her. Aish, boys.

-----

The gang eyed each other knowingly as the bell rang, signalling the end of school. So Eun felt suffocated by their weird actions and hoped that whatever it was that was going to happen would happen soon, or she would be bursting with curiosity of what happened.

Himchan nudged Yongguk and the leader nodded, clearing his throat. "Uhm Himchan and I are going to the movies. We've got free movie passes." he fibbed.

"Really? Of what movie?" So Eun asked curiously. "Have you got more movie passes? I want to go too! It's been ages since I watched a decent movie." she sighed.

Himchan looked nervously at Yongguk. "It's a horror movie, So Eun." he wiped his clammy palms behind him nervously. "We didn't get you tickets because you wouldn't want to go after all." So Eun just nodded and sighed softly. "Arraso. You're right. I wouldn't have wanted to come with you anyway." she shrugged. "You two have fun."

Yongguk and Himchan nodded, getting up with their bags. They glanced back at the rest of the BAP boys and nodded before running off. Youngjae and Zelo looked at each other nervously.

"Zelo and Daehyun and I are going to the computer room to play computer games." Youngjae lied smoothly. "You wouldn't want to come would you?"

So Eun blinked. "No. I want to come." she grinned. "I'm not that slow at games okay? Let's have a battle!" she chirped, already bouncing towards the door.

Zelo looked alarmed and he pulled So Eun back. "Uh we three have an ongoing battle between us so you aren't invited." he quickly said. "And there aren't enough computers so don't take up unnecessary space noona."

"Ayee.." So Eun made a face. "Fine fine. You three go play computer games or something." She looked over at Jongup. "Aren't you going with them?"

"No." Jongup shook his head meekly. So Eun shrugged. "Fine, then let's go home. Bye guys." she glanced at Daehyun and he avoided her gaze, wondering why he was acting so weird. Jongup and her left and Daehyun watched silently, feeing his heart tugging at him and slowly breaking to pieces.

He knew what Jongup would be doing. He even knew the exact script of what Jongup was going to say.

And it pained him to see her go like this.

----

So Eun skipped out of school and Jongup followed beside her, glancing at her once in a while and playing with his fingers nervously.

So Eun didn't notice as she continued talking and chirping. "You know what the boys have been talking about the whole morning?" she asked. "You guys are acting seriously weird the whole morning. Boys are so difficult to understand." she shook her head.

"Ah..." Jongup swallowed, scratching her head. "We are?"

"Yes." So Eun nodded, laughing softly. "Out of you six, the one who's the most difficult to understand is no doubt Jung Daehyun." she made a face. "He's filled with secrets, I tell you. And the most important thing is that you have no clue as to what secret he's hiding, that's the ultimate level of secrecy." she shook her head.

Jongup blinked.

"Don't you find that he's really difficult to understand?" so Eun asked. "Like you don't know what he's thinking and you don't understand what and why he's doing most of the times?"

Jongup stared at her. "No?" He responded unsurely. "I thought he was rather easy to underestand when he told me to confe-" he stopped himself, clearing his throat. "I mean, nothing."

He pointed at the cafe. "Do you want to get ice cream cones?" he suggested. So Eun brightened and nodded, smiling. The both of them went into the cafe to order their ice cream cones and they soon walked out with delicious ice cream cones in their hands as they strolled back home.

"How's yours?" So Eun reached over to bite his cone. "Hmm caramel's not bad. Maybe I'll switch from my usual chocolate next time." she murmured thoughtfully, smacking her lips.

Jongup swallowed, his heart pounding hard. She had done this many times, in fact they had done this with the rest of the BAP boys for so long. It was normal for them to eat of each other's plates and use each other's cutlery. They were like brothers and sisters and personal hygiene wasn't that much of a problem.

However Jongup was now feeling jittery and he couldn't help but notice how a GIRL had actually biten off his cone. Even though this girl had done this so many times.

Both of them walked slowly, chatting easily as birds chirped in the background. It was quite the romantic walk home except So Eun didn't know what Jongup was thinking about.

Jongup eyed the park and bit his lip. "So Eun ah, do you want to talk a stroll there before we go home? Finish the cone up as well." he suggested. So Eun nodded, thinking that it was a great idea since she was still a long way from finishing her ice cream.

As they walked, they passed a small sand pit and two swings.

"Don't you remember it here?" Jongup pointed. "We boys met you here the first time. Youngjae was the first to talk to you because we were playing war and he didn't want to join us so he talked to you."

So Eun let out a laugh. "Yes I remember. His first words were, you look lonely, are you ugly that's why people don't want to talk to you?" she recalled. "I almost wanted to punch him. Even at 5 years old he's a viper tongue."

Jongup grinned, nodding. "Do you remember what I first said to you?" he asked carefully.

So Eun scratched her head and searched her memories. "You?" she remembered Youngjae introducing her to the rest of the BAP boys and all the five of the boys had talked altogether and she could hardly remember who was who at that time. "I'm afraid I don't." she grinned sheepishly. "You remember what you said to me?"

Jongup nodded, slightly disappointed. "Yeah. I told you that you were pretty." his cheeks flushed pink. "You still are."

"Awww." So Eun pinched his cheeks. "You're really the nice guy. You should totally get a girlfriend, Jongup. A guy like you shouldn't be wasted as single." she laughed, skipping off.

Jongup patted his cheek and swallowed. She touched him!!! Not that she didn't before but...yeah you get the point.

Jongup quickly ran to catch up with her and they passed a large tree. He pointed up at it and smiled at her. "Do you remember this tree?"

"Of course!" So Eun made a face. "There was a cat stuck up there one time and I decided to save it. Apparently I was the only one amongst all of you that had the sense to do it. Anyway, I couldn't get down and I was strandled there with the cat."

Jongup nodded, laughing at the memory. "Himchan was so scared that he peed in his pants. Surprisingly Zelo was the smart one to run back home to call the adults." he remembered. "I was really scared too, then." he glanced at her meaningfully. "I don't want anything bad to happen to you, So Eun."

"Aww." So Eun grinned and bumped his shoulders. "And I you."

She was about to continue walking when Jongup stopped her, grabbing onto her arm. "I actually have some things to say to you, So Eun." he looked everywhere but at her. "Let's walk slowly."

So Eun looked at him curiously, nodding slowly. "O...kay..." she cocked her head ot the side, analyzing him. She hadn't seen Jongup behave like this in all the years of her life and she didn't have an accurate answer for the reason of his behavior.

"So what did you want to talk about?" So Eun finished her ice cream cone seconds after Jongup finished his, brushing the crumbs off her fingers.

"Uhm...I wanted us to take this walk because I wanted you to remember our friendship, actually." Jongup muttered. "Our years of friendship and I want you to know that it means a lot to me."

So Eun softened and nodded. "Yeah it means a lot to me too."

Jongup took a deep breath. "Which is why if we don't work out, I don't want to ruin our friendship either, So Eun." So Eun stopped in her steps, finally getting where Jongup was going with his words. She looked at him in surprise and searched his expression, surprised to see that he was serious. "Jongup, you don't mean-"

"I think I like you, So Eun." Jongup squeaked, obviously nervous. "Just recently I've begun to see you more than a brother. And I hope you'll give me a chance, So Eun. You don't need to answer me now."

"Wow." So Eun swallowed. "I didn't know."

She was torn between her own feelings and respect for him. She had no idea he was crushing on her, but she couldn't lie either. She had no feelings of that sort for him and she couldn't lead him on.

However he was after all, a friend of almost thirteen years. She couldn't just reject him outrightly, it would be too harsh. She had to find a chance to let him down gently and make him see the sense that hey, they didn't belong together.

"I never thought of you that way, Jongup." So Eun murmured guiltily. "I'm sorry."

Jongup looked crestfallen but he quickly perked up. "Himchan suggested that we have a one time date." he played with his fingers. "Although I'm saying this, I'm not too sure about my feelings either because this is the first time I've felt this for a girl. And to be honest, you're the only girl I have in my life besides for my mother and Teacher Shin."

So Eun cracked a smile. "That's a good idea. We'll go on one date and if it feels right, we'll continue." she nodded. "But don't get your hopes too high Jongup, I really don't want to hurt you." she bit her lip.

Jongup shook his head and smiled brightly. "It's okay. I know you won't do it intentionally." he grinned. "Promise me you'll be truthful when the date ends."

So Eun hooked her pinky with his. "Promise."