Smile

The Man who never Dies

As they walked back to class from lunch, Daehyun felt a tap on his shoulders.

He turned around to see So Eun smiling up at him and felt his heart give a skip. "Hey." So Eun passed him a chocolate lolly wrapped with transparent plastic and tied with a silver ribbon.

Daehyun stared at the chocolate lolly, not making a move to get it. So Eun let out a sigh and grabbed his hands, putting the lolly in his fingers. "Why do the guys around me always act this way.." she muttered, remembering when she offered the masked man a waffle.

When Daehyun still stared at her looking like he didn't understand anything, So Eun made a face at him. "Seriously, all the guys are slow." she mumbled. "This is your valentines chocolate from me. You didn't eat a single one of the penguin chocolates I made during lunch, so here." she sent him a small uncertain smile.

She wasn't entirely sure if he would keep it. She wasn't sure if the reason why he didn't eat the penguin chocolates was because he didn't get a chance to eat or he didn't want to.

She didn't even know why she made an extra chocolate lolly in the first place. She just had that feeling that she had to give Daehyun a special one, and there. Instead of racking her brains by questioning why she did it, So Eun decided to throw caution to the wind and just do it.

She swallowed and made a face at him. "It's yours, throw it away or eat it, I don't care." she hurried into class.

Daehyun stared at the chocolate lolly in his hands and a small smile made it's way to his lips without him knowing. He silently put it in his bag, trudging into class after her.

So Eun glanced at him when he sat back down and saw the ends of the chocolate lolly sticking out from his bag. She didn't know why she grinned.

Class started, and Daehyun found his mind starting to wander as Teacher Shin started to lecture and he leaned back against his chair, staring blankly into space and letting the memories and feelings lead him.

 

 

1910, the year Japan colonized Korea, the Japanese Imperial Period

It was total chaos.

Japan has colonized Korea and there were Japanese soldiers marching around every so often, scaring the children and women alike.

His Majesty the Emperor of Korea concedes completely and definitely his entire sovereignty over the whole Korean territory to His Majesty the Emperor of Japan.

Daehyun could never forget the desperation he felt when he saw the article. And now the Korea he grew up in and lived more than nine hundred years in, the korea didn't feel like the korea he knew anymore.

Everywhere he went, he could hear children crying and men trudging around aimlessly as they lost their jobs. Even with assurance from the new leading party that everything will be fine, how could the Koreans feel assured when their country is being handed to another?

"Daehyun."

Daehyun jerked from his daze as he gazed out of the window and looked down at the girl that made everything possible for him. It was her that made him able to bear with any obstacle thrown in their way.

His gaze softened and he pulled So Eun to him, wrapping his arms around her tightly and sighing softly. "The world outside doesn't seem like the one I know anymore." he muttered.

So Eun smiled lightly and nodded. "Yeah." she looked up at him. "But then again if it seems different to me, it would definitely seem different to the 1000 year old you." she teased.

Daehyun flicked her forehead and waddled them over to the couch. He plopped himself down and pulled her to sit on his lap, his arms never leaving her waist. So Eun settled snugly in his arms and twisted her lips wistfully. "Do you know what day it is today, Daehyun?"

Daehyun played with her hair absent-mindedly. "No. Is it someday special?" he asked, puzzled.

So Eun pouted and jabbed his stomach with her elbow, pulling away. "You're so unromantic, Daehyun." she complained. "Today is Valentines, haven't you heard of it?"

At his puzzled expression, So Eun knew he didn't. She let out a sigh and pulled him to stand up. "Come on, I have something to give you." she sent him a small smile, dragging him from the living room to the kitchen. Her parents weren't around, thank goodness, and Daehyun got the chance to spend his time with her alone. He liked it that way.

He was surprised when he saw few mash potato balls that were fried and sprinkled with sugar placed daintily in a plate with a roughly cut heart shaped kitchen roll paper underneath. He raised his brows at her. "This is what you've been doing in the kitchen the whole morning? Making so much noise that it could wake the dead?"

"Aish." So Eun punched his arm lightly. "Listen to the lady while she talks." she commanded playfully. "So today is Valentines day. Seriously, you've never heard of it? It's been existing in the Western civillisation for a long time now."

Daehyun shook his head, staring at the potato balls. "Well anyway in korea, it's the day when you show your love to your loved one, the girl to the guy. You're supposed to give chocolates but you know, not many shops are open now and chocolate is so rare." she pouted dejectedly.

She held out the potato balls and grinned. "I figured these were as close to chocolate pieces as I could get." she mused. "So happy Valentines, Daehyun."

Daehyun's eyes shone with love as he gazed down at her, his lips curling up in a small smile. "You made it for me?" he picked up a potato ball. "Is it even edible?" So Eun made a face at him and tried to make a grab for the potato ball when Daehyun popped it in his mouth.

He chewed it for a bit and smiled. "It's surprisingly good, tastes like some sort of sweet." he mused, taking her hand and swinging it around. "Not bad."

"Of course!" So Eun harrumphed cockily, but Daehyun could see that she was pleased. "It's going to be White's day a month from now and it'll be your turn to profess your love for me okay? You better be prepared." she warned, grinning.

Daehyun pulled her close and kissed the top of her head. "It's White's day everyday, So Eun. Don't I say it everyday?" he mused. "Not today." So Eun pouted lightly.

Daehyun chuckled and nodded. "I love you." he whispered.

So Eun smiled and tip toed to his ears. "You know what?" she whispered back. "I love you too."

 

 

2012 Seoul, South Korea

"Yah Daehyun." So Eun waved her hands in front of his face. "Class ended, we have to go now."

Daehyun blinked, looking around and realizing that most of the people had left, even the BAP boys. "Where are the boys?" Daehyun inquired, fixing his expression and making sure he wasn't smiling like an idiot from the memory.

"They left." So Eun shrugged. "They didn't want to wait for us to finish our duty."

Daehyun raised his brows questioningly. So Eun threw him an amused grin. "You weren't listening at all were you? Today it's our turn to clean the classroom after school. What were you thinking of? By any chance, was Jung Daehyun thinking of a girl?" she teased.

Daehyun cleared his throat and made his way to the door. "I'll get the rags." he muttered, looking for the janitor's closet. So Eun looked curiously at his reaction, scratching her head. "Did I hit the bull's eye?"

...

So Eun glanced at Daehyun who was dilligently wiping the windows while she wiped the desks. She realized Yongguk's table was the dirtiest with most doodles and cuss words. She had an idea why he failed most of his subjects now.

Daehyun hadn't said a word since they started working on the cleaning. He was back to his cold ice man attitude and practically ignored her the entire time.

So Eun was curious as to what he was thinking about. Why was he so quiet all the time? Didn't he have anything to say?

She dipped her hand in a bucket of clean water and crept up behind him. "Yah Jung Daehyun."

Daehyun turned around, not expecting anything. He was startled when So Eun flicked water at him from her fingers, laughing heartily at his stumped expression. "HAHAHA Oh my gosh you should have seen your face!"

Daehyun wiped the water from his face and blinked. Did she just do that?

*Oh she's in deep trouble.* Daehyun kept his facial expression emotionless as he walked away from her. So Eun swallowed, the joke instantly losing it's appeal. She followed after him, her heart thudding loudly in her chest. "Yah.." she called weakly. "I was just playing."

He didn't answer.

So Eun her lips nervously. Was he really angry?

"Daehyun." So Eun tugged on his sleeve uncertainly, not sure what to do. All of a sudden Daehyun whipped around and flicked water in her face. "Got you."

So Eun's eyes widened and she eyed the bucket of water. "Oh no you didn't." she made a mad dash for the water at the same time Daehyun did, and both of their bodies slammed into one another, knocking the pail over.

Water was spilled all over the ground and they stared at the mess they made.

And then So Eun started laughing, because it was just so hilarious. Daehyun soon followed, chuckling softly and shaking his head in amusement. He wiped the water off his face and turned to look for another rag to wipe the water off the ground.

So Eun watched him go, her heart skipping madly for some unknown reason.

She saw those lips of his curling up in that smile. She realized she never once saw Daehyun smile or laugh openly and this was the very first time. And boy did he look good when he smiled.

His eyes were shining brighter than any star So Eun knew, and he looked so much more handsome than he usually did in her opinion.

"You know," she blurted without thinking. "You should smile more often. You look better that way."

Daehyun stopped in his steps and froze, swallowing. *I smiled.* he realized, mentally scolding himself. *You're her friend now Daehyun, but you can't warm up towards her ever. Not even a smile, Daehyun. Not even a smile.*