Studying

The Man who never Dies

Daehyun chuckled to himself discreetly when he felt like no one was looking.

Oh gosh Kim So Eun...a History Challenge? Really? Against a guy who actually saw everything in the History textbook first hand? Okay, so maybe she didn't know he experience every single one of those incidents.

However, Daehyun had a really good memory even after a thousand years. Because he couldn't die, his body was stopped at age 19, his mind as active as it was when he was 19 years old, thousand of years ago. He couldn't get dementia even if he wanted it.

He could remember his childhood days vividly as if it was just a few years ago. He could remember the whole span of thousand years when his body stopped aging. Like seriously Kim So Eun, you really picked the wrong guy to challenge.

Daehyun's aim was to piss So Eun into making her hate him so that she wouldn't make that mistake of falling in love with him again. He regretted every word he said to her, calling her dumb and making her feel bad. He saw the tears glimmering in her eyes when she turned away quickly, and those sent a squirmy feeling in his heart.

He wanted her to be happy, and he didn't like it that he had to be the one to make her the opposite of it. He vaguely considered if he should be friends with her.

If they were friends, it would be so much easier to keep a lookout for her and he didn't need to sneak around so much. Sneaking around was tiring.

And he could protect her without having people look at him curiously as if wondering what was up with him.

And maybe he was considering all that because he wanted to talk to her, be near, closer.

But what if she falls for him again?

Daehyun closed his eyes as he thought about it. Was there a way to be near yet far at the same time? To be with her but not grabbing her attention? Why was this all so darn hard for him to protect the one girl he loved?

He sighed softly and raked his fingers through his hair frustratedly. He caught sight of the history text book in front of him and his lips curled up in a small smile.

"But this Kim So Eun is still the girl I know, even after a thousand years." he murmured in amusement. "Rash and stubborn, not even thinking things through. This is just a challenge, Jung Daehyun. It wouldn't matter if I enjoy it....right?"

 

 

 

On the other hand, So Eun was definitely NOT enjoying this.

"Why oh why did I choose History out of so many subjects we are studying?" So Eun asked for the nth time in desperation. "I at history! I'm so going to lose this challenge!"

Youngjae threw a gummy bear at her and she caught it, popping it in . "Glad you know. I was doing the ultimate face palm when you blurted history. You're so going to lose." he clicked his tongue, enjoying her misery.

"Don't be mean, hyung." Jongup pouted. He darted over and sat next to So Eun. "We'll help you score for the next test so that you can beat him, So Eun." he beamed.

Zelo looked at them from the couch in his extremely lazy position. His legs were dangling from the back of the couch and his head almost upside down. "Noona, you should know that I want to help. But really, I have no abilities to do so."

Yongguk cleared his throat. "Well me neither."

Himchan gave So Eun a grin. "Your umma, which is me, can only help by cooking good food for you in the time being. You need nourishments right?" he offered. "As for the studying part..." he eyed the books with a certain degree of disdain and fear. "You know we don't click well."

So Eun turned to Youngjae, her eyes narrowing into slits. "Mr Yoo Youngjae, you're the one I need right now." she muttered.

Youngjae clutched his heart. "Heart-warming, but I'm not interested." he dodged a pillow that So Eun threw at him. "Fine fine, just kidding. You know I'll help you, I'm interested in knowing what's wrong with that Jung Daehyun anyway." He plopped himself on the other side of So Eun.

"I don't get it, how can you be good in all the subjects except History?" Youngjae asked in wonder. "History isn't even that hard. It's just memorising the dates and events and vomitting all the facts when the test comes. Easy peasy."

"I wouldn't be doing so badly if I found it as such." So Eun muttered under her breath. Jongup looked at her sympathetically, desperately wanting to do something to help. She was the only girl he had as a friend. Moon Jongup was a socially awkward guy with girls and So Eun was the only one he could talk to without making a fool of himself.

But it didn't matter to him anyway. So Eun was the best out of the lot of girls around and he was glad he had her company.

"You can do it, So Eun." Jongup encouraged with a goofy grin. "We believe in you!"

"AHEM." Yongguk cleared his throat.

"I mean...I believe in  you." Jongup amended. So Eun threw an exasperated glance at Yongguk who shrugged back teasingly to show that he didn't mean to be offending.

So Eun let out a deep sigh and tied her hair in a high bun, including her fringe. She made a fighting sign and narrowed her eyes at the notes and books. "I'm going to do this. Jung Daehyun, I'm going to beat you and I'm going to figure your confusing head out."

"AJA AJA FIGHTING!!" The boys chorused together.

-----

"You're so stupid? How can you get this wrong?" Youngkae clicked his tongue, obviously enjoying himself when he marked an assignment that he gave So Eun. "Oh gosh you got this wrong again. The date is 1523, 22 February. Is that so difficult to remember?"

So Eun grinded her teeth, glaring at him.

Youngjae ignored all of that and continued marking haughtily. "Oh look at this, wrong again. It's Kim Boong Do, not Kim Doong Bo. Are you dumb or what?"

So Eun let out a growl.

"Oh he's going to be dead." Zelo whispered. "Hyung's courting death."

"Should've known this is going to happen." Yongguk shook his head. "Youngjae never knows when to shut up." Jongup nodded, agreeing. Youngjae had the tendency to blurt whatever it was in his mind, and even though he had a very high IQ, his EQ wasn't doing very well. He offended people very easily.

"And look at this! Oh gosh I'm feeling faint, someone help me." Youngjae pointed. "It's a wonder how you ace your other subjects. Looking at this right now, I'd think that you were a delinquent or something!"

So Eun cracked her knuckles. "Yoo. Young. Jae." she hissed.

"I think I better bring out the patbingsus I prepared to cool her down before she snaps his head off his neck." Himchan darted into the kitchen.

"Yes my lowly tutee?" Youngjae looked at So Eun, his eyes raised teasingly. "Anything the matter?"

"You're going overboard Yoo Youngjae." So Eun narrowed her eyes. "Just because your history is better than me doesn't give you the right to insult me like that. Are you courting death?"

Youngjae laughed and pushed the paper to her. "I was kidding, gosh, can't you tell a joke from another?" he showed her where she went wrong. "You made a few mistakes but it was better than the first practice paper. A 38 out of 100." he shuddered. "Be glad you got a 63 now, these are high level thinking questions."

So Eun calmed down and looked at her mistakes, knocking herself on the head. "Why can't I do these?"

"Be patient, So Eun." Jongup comforted. "I'm sure it'll turn out fine."

The other boys gave her a nod and So Eun smiled back, feeling renergized. "Yeah, I'm sure I can beat that Jung Daehyun." she pulled the book back to her. "Now where were we?"

All of a sudden, Himchan rushed out of the kitchen with a bowl of patbingsu, panting. "I'M HERE! SO EUN PLEASE CALM DOWN! MURDER WILL LAND YOU IN JAIL!"

So Eun blinked at him. "Excuse me?"

Himchan stared at all of them and back at his patbingsu. "You're telling me this isn't needed now?" Zelo nodded.

"AISH!" Himchan made a face and slurped the shaved ice.

 

 

 

 

So Eun sat down on the bench under the street lamp in the park near her house, with a book on her lap. She flipped through the pages, trying to get everything in her mind.

She liked to come out to study once in a while, it was better than cooping up at home in her room. It was evening, the sky a pretty orange and pink. The air was cool and comfortable, perfect weather.

So Eun tapped her chin while she recited the information she memorised and checking it with the textbook. Just as she looked up from her book, she caught someone familiar lurking amongst the trees.

Her eyes widened and she jumped up from her seat. "OI MASKED MAN!"

Daehyun jumped in shock, not expecting her to discover him. So Eun ran towards him, taking in the mask and beanie exterior. "It's really you!" She exclaimed in excitement. "Why did you go off the other time? I have to thank you for chasing the robber away." she smiled brilliantly.

Daehyun swallowed. Okay, not good. He only wanted to stalk her secretly but his girl was just so sharp. He let himself be pulled along as she made him sit on the bench she had been sitting at, telling himself that it was alright as long as his beanie and mask was intact.

So Eun smiled at him. "Wait here, I'll buy us an ice cream cone each. I'm serious, don't even think of going somewhere else." she wagged her finger at him. And then she was gone, running off to the nearby ice cream store.

Daehyun wondered how on earth things became like this, scratching his head and letting out an amused chuckle. His eyes narrowed in on the History Textbook she had been studying for and raised his brows. "So she was studying for the test." he picked up the book. "She really wants to win huh?"

He flipped through the pages that were worn and looking like So Eun had read the entire volume at least five times. He mused at her little notes everywhere that didn't really make sense to him, and he dug for a pen in his pocket.

He scribbled some notes on top of hers, adding useful comments and tips on how to remember the dates and events. His "scribbles" however were perfect font hand-writting since he had a thousand years to perfect it.

When he heard So Eun running back, he quickly closed the book and stuffed the pen back into his pockets. So Eun plopped herself beside him and handed him a waffle. "Sorry I couldn't get us ice cream. The shop was closed so I had to make do with waffles."

Daehyun took it, wondering how on earth he was supposed to eat with his mask on.

"I know it's not much, but I'm really grateful for your help the other time." So Eun smiled. "Thank you. My name's So Eun by the way." She looked at him expectantly for an answer but he just stared back.

She blinked. "Is it that you can't talk or you don't want to?" she wondered out loud. "Why do you wear the mask? I can only see your eyes, not even your hair or nose."

Daehyun squirmed in his seat. So Eun realized she was making him uncomfortable and she quickly stopped questioning him, laughing awkwardly. "I know it's none of my business. I'll stop." she offered a smile. "Just...I hope we can be friends, masked man."

Daehyun didn't nod, nor did he shake his head. He just sat there, studying her.

So Eun's phone rang abruptly and she jumped, startled. "Hello? Umma?" she answered, giving Daehyun a sheepish grin. She frowned when she heard what her mother said. "Why is Youngjae there again? Oh right the tutor lessons! I forgot!" she whacked her own forehead. "I'll be right back, two minutes. Tell that cow not to eat my Ben and Jerry caramel....what? THAT COW!" she fumed.

Daehyun bit back a laugh.

"Fine. I'll be back soon to finish that guy off." So Eun muttered. "Bye." she clicked her phone shut.

She smiled at Daehyun awkwardly. "Sorry, I'd love to talk more but I have to go." she picked up her book. "Oh, and I really mean it. I hope to be friends." she held out her hand.

When he didn't respond, So Eun gave a dramatic sigh. "Do girls have to do everything?" she complained. She darted forward and grabbed Daehyun's hand, giving it a firm shake. "Good." she smiled.

She turned to go and waved at him. "Bye. See you soon!" she ran off.

Daehyun was positively smiling behind the mask, staring at the hand she just shook. The first skin to skin contact. Her hands were as soft as ever.

*That babo.* he thought affectionately.

So Eun stopped running halfway and she glanced back at the masked man. She saw him keep the waffle in his coat and walk off, and a smile crept up her face.

Melting, he was.