Challenge

The Man who never Dies

So Eun stared out of the window blankly, her eyes not looking at anything in particular.

She let out a small sigh and wrinkled her nose, muttering under her breath. And then she would grab the pillow on the couch, give it a hard punch and deathly glare, and then throw it on the ground.

And after a few minutes, she would realize what she just did to her pillow, and she would jump down the couch and grab the pillow, patting it and putting it back on the couch.

And the whole cycle would repeat itself over and over again when she forgot that it was her pillow right there and not a certain someone she so yearned to punch.

The BAP boys looked over at her and blinked, scratching her head. "You know what's all that about?" Zelo murmured. "I've never seen noona like that before."

The boys nodded. "But that's because no one dissed her like this before either." Youngjae reasoned. "Jung Daehyun's declaration in class was a little too insulting for our little princess." he shrugged, stuffing a chip into his mouth.

The boys were over at So Eun's house and they were helping themselves to the chips and drinks as usual, sitting in the living room and watching some thriller movie while So Eun just stared out of the window doing who knows what.

Himchan twisted his lips and leaned against the back of the couch. The boys were initially very into the thriller movie, however they noticed So Eun was behaving a little off normal and being the nice and caring boys they were, they couldn't pay attention to the movie either when their best friend was like this.

Himchan scratched his head. "I wonder what So Eun said to Jung Daehyun after class." he muttered curiously. They were talking about the matter in their usual voices, discussing as if So Eun wasn't around, and the girl in question still had no idea what was happening. She was just so engrossed in her own thoughts.

"She rushed out of the classroom immediately after class to talk to him." Himchan recalled. "And she didn't even pack her bag. She just rushed out of there. I've never seen her act like that."

Jongup nodded. "But Jung Daehyun was too mean. How could he say that? What's wrong with tutoring So Eun?" he asked, frowning. He would have loved to tutor So Eun himself so that he could have some alone time with her, but his History wasn't making it either.

Youngjae sat up. "Exactly what I was thinking." he looked interested since there was some sort of mystery going on. "Don't you think Jung Daehyun is really weird? He's cold to everyone, but he isn't mean. So Eun hasn't done anything to him but he treats her like this. Isn't it strange?"

Yongguk nodded. "Come to think of it, yeah."

Youngjae grinned and leaned forward even more. "And, don't forget, he actually saved So Eun from the falling plates previously. So if he detests her, why save her? He's doing so many things with conflicting motives."

Zelo looked very confused. "Uh..." he scratched his head.

"That Jung Daehyun is just weird, so why are we analyzing his actions?" Yongguk frowned. "He's mean, weirdo, that's all. What we should focus on is So Eun, not that weirdo."

Youngjae frowned. "But it's mysteriou and-"

"I agree with hyung." Jongup nodded. He looked over at So Eun who looked blank and he sighed sadly. He really didn't like it when she looked like this. "We should focus on cheering So Eun up."

Youngjae slumped against the couch and pouted. "A bunch of people with no sense of curiosity." he muttered under his breath.

"So what should we do to cheer our daughter up?" Himchan tapped his chin. "Hmm..."

-----

"So Eun noona!!!! HELP!!!"

So Eun blinked. She jerked out of her thoughts and looked around in surprise, hearing Zelo's voice. "Maknae?" she gaped. "Zelo where are you?"

"NOONA! HELP!!!"

So Eun jumped up from the couch, blinking at the empty hall. She had been zoning out for so long that she didn't even realize that the boys weren't in the living room anymore. She looked around, following where the voice had been coming from.

"Yongguk? Himchan? Jongup? Youngjae?" she called. "Where are you guys? Zelo's in trouble!" she rushed to the lawn. "Zelo are you ok-"

She opened the door and was surprised when water splashed right in her face. She ducked, letting out a yelp. "Wha-"

"HEHEHE GOT YOU!!!" Himchan grinned and sprayed water at her with the garden hose. So Eun squealed as the water got her entire shirt soaked and she glared up at him. "Kim. Him. Chan."

Himchan swallowed and he threw the hose away from himself. The hose spun around on the ground and sprayed water in all directions, sending the boys running around. "HYUNG!! Why did you let it go?" Youngjae cursed, getting splashed in his face directly and choking on water.

So Eun squealed when the water kept sprinkling on her and Jongup quickly in front of her, protecting her from the water. Yongguk rolled his eyes and got to the tap and turned it shut. He glared at Himchan and the latter gulped. "Oops?" he smiled sheepishly.

So Eun wiped water from her face and raised her brows at the boys. "So what is this about?" she wrinkled her nose. "Fooling me that Zelo was in trouble and then splashing me in the face..."

"That," Youngjae wiped water off his cheek. "Was Himchan hyung's marvellous idea of cheering you up."

"Will all of you stop shooting arrows at me." Himchan whined. He pouted and went to sit down beside So Eun, patting her head. "So Eun ah, you don't need to be bothered by what that Jung Daehyun thinks. So what if his history is stronger than you, you're a big girl, you've got to show him that it's his mistake of underestimating you."

"Are you trying to get her to fight him? Because I think she'll lose." Yongguk mnuttered under his breath.

Himchan rolled his eyes. "No. You don't need to fight to show him your potentials and capabilities." he smiled at So Eun encouragingly. "Cheer up, my daughter."

So Eun blinked at the BAP boys who were grinning at her encouragingly and she grinned back. Yes, Jung Daehyun, you better watch out.

 

 

 

As soon as Daehyun walked into class, he knew something was different with So Eun.

She eyed him from the moment he walked into class and her eyes were hard, unreadable. So Eun bit her lip as he walked over, getting to his desk. She couldn't figure him out, and even with what he had said, she couldn't deny that she was really curious as to what was happening in that head of his.

Daehyun threw his bag on the floor, bending down to sit. His hadn't even reached the chair when he heard her speak.

"Oh, he has arrived." So Eun let out a little sigh dramatically, not looking at him. "The guy who thinks he owns the world."

Daehyun blinked, eying her from the corner of his eye. "What do you mean, the guy who thinks he owns the world?"

"Oh, and he speaks!" So Eun turned to him with a haughty grin on her face. "So majesty, what was your question again?"

Daehyun frowned. What in the world was she doing? "What?"

"Oh right pardon my forgetful mind." So Eun narrowed her eyes. "My mind isn't as fantastic as your majesty's, you see."

Daehyun's brows furrowed even further. "Kim So Eun, stop talking like that." So Eun harrumphed. "Oh and that's not what you think? You obviously think you're so much better which is why you refuse to be my tutor." she accused.

*That's far from the reason why.* Daehyun thought to himself.

But Daehyun decided to stick with whatever excuse she had and he nodded. "Yes. I think you're dumb." he blurted.

So Eun's face reddened with anger. "Excuse me, but at least I'm not failing every other subject." she shot back.

"At least I'm not puny like you." Daehyun quickly retorted.

"Oh yeah?" So Eun fumed. "At least I'm not cold hearted like someone here!"

"At least I'm not so warm hearted that I turn nosy like you." Daehyun shot back.

"JUNG DAEHYUN!" So Eun shrieked. "YES KIM SO EUN?" Daehyun hollered back.

Both glared at each other, panting.

Everyone stared at them in surprise, not sure which one to be shocked about. Of So Eun actually getting angry or of the realization that Daehyun could actually shout.

So Eun shot up from her chair, scaring some of the people watching.

"Jung Daehyun, I challenge you to a battle." So Eun hissed. "I don't believe you're that bad a guy, but I don't get you. All I know is that right now, I really dislike your attitude even though I don't know what caused you to be like this. And I want to challenge you to a battle."

Daehyun blinked. "Challenge?" he nearly broke into a smile. It was something only So Eun could have thought of.

"Yes." So Eun growled. "Let's battle it out on..." her eyes darted around and landed on the History Textbook on her desk. "History. The history test next week."

Youngjae buried his face in his hands. "No..no no no... Of everything, history?"

Daehyun stared right back at her. "History."

"Yes." So Eun harrumphed. "The person who gets a higher score for history next week will...will....I don't care, we'll settle the reward after. I just want a challenge with you right now!"

So Eun slammed her hands on Daehyun's table. "Are you game?"

Daehyun looked at her, watching her pant softly, her cheeks slightly pink and her eyes bright and focused. Oh So Eun...

"Yes. Let's do this."