FIFTEEN

Irresistibly Wicked
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


My throat parches as I try to suppress the raging indignation that’s consuming my chest. I shake my head in disbelief, immobilized to even think of reacting. My jaw tenses with every beat. My eyes burn but I refuse to blink because I know my tears will fall.

“Why?” My voice shakes as I got the courage to speak, and it sounded so wounded though I strained to expel it that way. I don’t understand; Jaera couldn’t do this to me. She guaranteed a week!

Dad faces me, his expression crooking into confusion.

“Darling, what’s wrong, why are you crying?”

I sniff. My eyes are already welling and my vision is drowning to blur.

“Hey.. Come here baby..” Dad saunters to me and I drop my head. I quickly wipe the tears that roll down my cheeks.

“Why…” I clench my jaws, “isn’t… she…back?” I quaver with loathing.

“Are you crying because Jaemi didn’t come home?” He asks, half-amused. “Awe baby, I didn’t expect you'd miss her this bad...”

I sniff harder. I want to let it all out. I want to tell dad everything! I want to tell him that we’ve been lying all this time and the person right in front of him is the real Jaemi, and she has gone through a lot the whole time they’re gone. I wish my dad knows how much he failed in the idea of knowing her two daughters well.

He sighs when I didn’t answer. “Look, you and I both know how your sister is, she’s a very fragile girl and she cages herself to everyone.” His eyes are filled with softness and sentiments, “Now, if you could have just seen her when we got to London, I couldn’t believe it myself, but slowly, she’s stepping out of her comfort zone.. and she’s being… just like everyone else..”

I crack ridiculously.

“I know, I know.” Dad says, “But I’m happy that she’s having friends now. She’s learning to explore..” He continues.

“But dad –“

“This is like a stepping stone for your sister, darling.  Perhaps the new environment is what she needs. I could tell that she loves being there, and I couldn’t force her to come with me… so we decided that she’d stay with your mom for a few more days.”

“NO!” I shout impulsively. My dad is startled, and I run away up to Jaera’s room.

No he doesn’t understand! He doesn’t know what’s really going on! I slam the door shut and I howl down to the pillows. I never expected this! How could she betray me this way?

There are knocks on the door and my dad enters. He’s not even aware what the real reason for my blubbing is! He must have thought that I’m just the loving-sister who misses her sibling so much, but no, that’s not it; it’s the fact that I’m too scared to continue pretending to be someone I’m not.

I feel a heavy weight beside me on the bed and dad caresses my back. “Hey.. She’s coming back okay? I wasn’t approved of it too, but... I couldn’t resist your sister’s request. She wanted to stay...” He sighs heavily. “Do you want to talk to her?”

I look up at dad, and he’s offering me his phone. I sniffle before taking it and sprawling to position myself. He brushes my knuckle with his thumb, smiles a real heartwarming smile, and leaves for the door.

I place the phone to my ear and I can hear a sigh coming from the line.

“Hey Jaem,” It’s Jaera’s voice, and my heart hitches painfully. “I’m so sorry,” She sighs, “Please… I belong here.”

“No! No! No! I don’t understand! You have a life here! How can you do this to me?” I bellow while my tears continue to fall unstoppably.

“Please Jaem, you have to understand… I want to be with mom.”

My breathing slowly composes the moment she mentioned our mom. I don’t remember having a mother anymore, what’s it even like? Jaera loved her so much that when she decided to leave us, was also the start of Jaera’s indifference. I sob some more.

“Jaem.. I know I have been so hard on you.. and I’m so sorry.  I don’t know…” Her voice is feeble and sincere, and my heart softens to hear her words.

“But… you have commitments here.. There’s a spring pageant coming and I can never–“

“God.” She slurs, I even heard a slap-sound over the line. She didn’t speak for a few seconds.

She squirms before speaking again. “Okay.. Jaem, Please... I promise this would be the very last and biggest request I’m asking you... Please… Few more days... I promise I’ll be back before the Spring Pageant.”

I didn’t respond. What must I say? I’m in trouble again. Why does my heart feel like giving away?

“Look, I’m really sorry. I wanted to tell you, but I knew that this would happen… Please don’t cry Jaemi-yah..” She says, and I sob once again.

“Hey hey hey… Shhhh.. Oh my god, I’m so sorry Jaemi-yah! Please! I promise I’ll come back!” She pleads hysterically.

Silence invokes. I swallow and sniffle.

“You promise?” I pout.

“Promise.”

 

 

*

 

 

“Let me guys remind you that your projects should be submitted before the Spring Festival and I don’t care if you have practices and tight schedules,.. they’re not an excuse. Understand?!”

Our teacher finishes her strict remarks when we all yell the obeying-word in class. Soon afterwards, the bell rings and signals the end of our third period. Luhan and I exchange a worried eye contact. We haven’t even officially started to work on our project yet. But Tiffany pulls me swiftly the next second, and we stroll over the corner.

“Stupid project. Does she think it’s even easy?” Tiffany groans and rolls her eyes. I turn to look at Luhan and he’s still looking at me. I guess he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter