Always a family (part 1)

Babysitting with the Stars

Sunggyu tiredly made his way to Hyun Su’s bedroom after getting home from work one evening. He stopped in the doorway when he heard some laughing.

“And then the tooth fairy threw up a rainbow on the princess’s castle!” Woohyun exclaimed, with bright eyes. He had his arms resting on the race car bed frame, and was in the middle of telling Hyun Su, what he claimed to be ‘the greatest bed time story ever created on the spot.’

“No she didn’t!” Hyun Su giggled.

“How do you know?” Woohyun poked the child’s tummy. “Were you there?”

Hyun Su beamed, and just laughed some more. “Ahjussi’s a liar!”

“Yah.” Woohyun pouted, rubbing Hyun Su’s belly. “When are you going to stop calling me that? I want you to call me appa.”

“Mm…don’t want to.” Hyun Su replied cutely.

“You don’t want to huh?” Woohyun’s eyes twinkled with amusement. “Well then how about if I just call you…uh…” He paused attempting to think of a fool proof nickname. “Little monster!” He decided, and then quickly shook his head. “Wait no…that would mean that you’re Lady Gaga’s fan…Hyun Su, per chance do you like Lady Gaga?”

“I like Gyu appa’s singing the best!” Hyun Su announced, with a look of determination.

“Ah…so you know her, but you just like Gyu appa better.” Woohyun nodded in understanding. “Ah but you know, I like Gyu appa the best too.” He grinned, as he gently ruffled Hyun Su’s hair.

Sunggyu smiled at the two, quietly watching them from the door way.

“Ahjussi…do you like Gyu appa?” Hyun Su suddenly asked.

“Of course I do.” Woohyun smiled, calmly. “I also like Hyun Su.”

“But…Gyu appa is different…he likes gross ahjussi more. Before I didn’t like it but…” Hyun Su sat up, adjusting the folds of his blanket. “I know why Gyu appa likes gross ahjussi more now.”

“What’re you talking about?” Woohyun chuckled.

“And I’m ok with it.” Hyun Su stated, attempting to sound mature. “Because when I’m grown up I’ll find my own gross ahjussi to love.”

“Uh…” Woohyun frowned, at the usage of ‘ahjussi.’ “Hyun Su that’s—.”

“So I don’t mind if you and Gyu appa get married.” Hyun Su explained, patting Woohyun on the shoulder reassuringly. “I’ll let you have him.”

“…Thanks Hyun Su.” Woohyun smiled warmly, holding onto Hyun Su’s hand. “For letting me have Gyu appa.”

Sunggyu put his hand to his mouth, concealing the smile threatening to form. All he could think was that, not only Hyun Su, but all three of them had really been affected from meeting each other. He could never have imagined getting into a relationship due to a variety show, and with another man no less. And raising a child wasn’t something he ever expected to do until he was in his thirties, married and with a family.

He knelt down beside Woohyun and put an arm around his shoulder.

“Ah hyung!” Woohyun turned to Sunggyu. “Did you hear what Hyun Su just said? He said he’s letting me have you!”

“Yeah.” Sunggyu smiled. “I heard.”

++

“Now you’re a songwriter too?” Sunggyu sighed as he and Woohyun walked down the hall of the recording studio later that week. “Is there anything you’re bad at?”

“There’s one thing.” Woohyun smirked. “Hating you.”

Sunggyu rolled his eyes as he nudged the greasy tree, though he was still smiling.

They had just finished working on their duet song—which Woohyun contributed lyrically to—for the night and were heading out to the parking lot. As soon as they stepped out of the building, fans bombarded them. Their managers had to push the fans away, as they pulled Sunggyu and Woohyun to the van.

“SUNNGYU OPPA!” A fangirl screeched. “I LOVE YOU OPPA!”

“Woohyun oppa, are you dating Minjung unnie?!” Another fan with a red blouse questioned, as they followed closely behind, unperturbed by the mangers telling them to back up.

“How could he be dating her?!” A girl with pink clips in her hair snapped, shoving the girl in red.

“Yeah! He already has Sunggyu oppa!” Another fan joined in.

“Oppas aren’t gay!” The red shirted girl argued.

“How do you know that?!”

“Yeah, what do you know about oppa?!”

“You don’t know what they do in their bedroom every night after Hyun Su-yah goes to asleep!”

The fans were so consumed with their argument that they kind of forgot to chase after Sunggyu and Woohyun, who managed to quietly get into the back of their van.

“I swear these girls get crazier by the day.” Sang Hyun muttered as he placed his bag in the front passenger’s seat of the van. “Hey, you guys,” He turned to Sunggyu and Woohyun who had settled down in the backseat. “I’m just going to get something from the studio. Man Suk should be coming out soon.”

“Where is he?” Sunggyu asked.

“Bathroom.” Woohyun replied, and the grinned humorously. “He didn’t have a good lunch, if you know what I mean.” Sunggyu made a face, while Sang Hyun merely sighed.

“Anyways, just lock the doors. I’ll be back.” Sang Hyun instructed before shutting the door and heading back towards the studio building.

Sunggyu sighed leaning back in the seat and closing his eyes.

“Hyung.” Woohyun’s voice rang out in the dark silent van.

“I’m tired.” Sunggyu responded.

“Ok.”

And Woohyun didn’t say anything after that. Sunggyu was grateful for times like this when all he had to say was two words and Woohyun would automatically understand.

“Hyun Su’s at Minjung’s place right now?” Sunggyu asked as he leaned his head on Woohyun’s shoulder.

“Yeah…we’ll pick him up when we get home.”

Sunggyu could feel Woohyun shift uneasily under the weight of his head.

“Stop moving.” Sunggyu murmured, gripping onto Woohyun’s arm to keep it in place.

“Hyung…” Woohyun whispered. “What if the fans see?”

“The windows are tinted.” Sunggyu rested his chin on Woohyun’s shoulder, his soft breaths tickling the latter’s neck. “Besides, it’s not like we’re doing anything bad.”

“I know…” Woohyun murmured uncomfortably. “But…”

“I’m barely touching you.” Sunggyu breathed right in Woohyun’s ear, fingertips teasing the folds of Woohyun’s shirt.

“Hyung, d-don’t.” Woohyun held in his breath when he felt Sunggyu’s fingers brushing against his bare skin, under his shirt.

“Don’t what?” Sunggyu whispered teasingly, as he played with Woohyun’s .

Woohyun whimpered softly. “G-Gyu—.”

“Shh.” Sunggyu hushed him. “If you’re too loud that fans might hear.”

Woohyun gasped and bit his lip, to suppress anymore sounds. One of his hands was gripping desperately to the car seat’s fabric, while the other was on Sunggyu’s thigh.

“H-Hyung…” He pleaded, in a gravelly whine. “Not here…y-you know I can’t be quiet.”

Sunggyu felt kind of bad for teasing him like that, so he removed his hand, and instead patted Woohyun’s thigh.

“I’m sorry.” He whispered softly. “I went too far.”

“You really know how to torture me.” Woohyun breathed out a sigh of relief.

“It’s your fault for being such a little masochist.” Sunggyu grinned.

“Well yeah, but you’re too much hyung!” Woohyun chuckled.

Suddenly there was a desperate banging on the door. Sunggyu turned to the window and they could both see Man Suk hopping up and down anxiously.

“Are you feeling better hyung?” Woohyun grinned after Sunggyu slid the door open.

“Bad news!” Man Suk exclaimed with frantic eyes as Sang Hyun hopped in the passenger’s seat.

“What?” Sunggyu blinked. “What’s wrong—?”

“Minjung-sshi just called.” Sang Hyun explained as Man Suk started the car. “Hyun Su’s in the hospital.”

++

“He had a fever, and he was coughing so I thought I should bring him in.” Minjung explained, as she stood beside the hospital bed Hyun Su was lying on, fast asleep. “They gave him medicine, and he’s been sleeping since.”

“Is he ok? Did they say he’s going to be ok?” Sunggyu folded his arms, watching over the sleeping boy, as Woohyun sat at the bed side, running a gentle hand through Hyun Su’s hair.

“Yeah. They said we can take him home, after the social worker comes to assess the situation.”

Sunggyu nodded in response, and studied Woohyun’s face for a moment. The latter had been quiet ever since they arrived at the hospital.

“You can go take a break.” Sunggyu told Minjung. “You must be tired. Thanks for watching over him.”

“Well I care about him too.” Minjung shrugged. “He’s sort of my responsibility too.”

Sunggyu smiled slightly, as he watched her leave, before moving around to the other side of the bed. He sat down at the chair, leaning his elbows in the bed, as he absently ran his finger along Hyun Su’s small hand.

“Are you ok?” He stared across at Woohyun. “You’ve been quiet this whole time.”

Woohyun pursed his lips, before removing his hand from Hyun Su’s head. “I…I’m really stupid.”

Sunggyu frowned. “Why?”

“Because…” Woohyun looked up, meeting the other’s eyes. “All this time…I was living, with this thought that, that maybe I could be a good parent.” Woohyun dropped his gaze. “But…seeing Hyun Su like this…it made me realize, that I’m probably not ready.”

Sunggyu studied his face for a moment. “You really want to become a dad don’t you?” He looked down. “I’m sorry.”

“Why?” Woohyun blinked.

“Because…” Sunggyu rubbed the back of his neck uneasily. “With me, you can’t have kids…” He sighed, looking across the room at the small television propped against the wall. It was playing some cheesy looking kid’s show. “Maybe I should have a change operation.” He murmured.

Woohyun stared at him in disbelief. “You would do that?”

Sunggyu returned his gaze to Woohyun, looking intently into his eyes.

“I would do anything for you.”

Woohyun smiled slightly, and looked down. “I would too.”

“But…” Sunggyu grinned. “I like being a man.”

“Me too.” Woohyun chuckled.

Suddenly Hyun Su stirred slightly in his sleep, causing both men to look down at him and smile.

“Appas?” Hyun Su squinted, rubbing his eyes cutely.

“You had us worried kid.” Sunggyu patted the sleepy boy’s head.

“Sorry.” Hyun Su blinked.

“We’re just glad you’re ok.” Woohyun held onto Hyun Su’s hand. “Appas will take better care of you from now on, ok?”

Hyun Su stared at Woohyun’s face for a moment, an unreadable expression on his face. Woohyun tilted his head curiously. “Hm?” Suddenly Hyun Su reached out, wrapping his short arms around Woohyun’s neck. “What’s wrong?” Woohyun rubbed the back of the child’s head. “Hyun Su?”

“Thank you for worrying about me appa.” Hyun Su murmured.

 Woohyun was kind of stunned and confused, and looked up at Sunggyu who was sending him a questioning glance.

A nurse walked in, followed by Sang Hyun who had on a small smile. “Uh, can I talk to you two?”

Sunggyu and Woohyun exchanged a confused glance, before leaving Hyun Su to the nurse and following Sang Hyun into the hall.

“What’s wrong hyung?” Sunggyu asked, absently shoving his hands in his pockets.

“Well…” Sang Hyun pursed his lips. “I’ve got some good news and some bad news.”

“What sort of news?” Woohyun folded his arms over his chest nervously.

“Just tell us both.” Sunggyu told him.

“Well, you know how Hyun Su is an orphan right?”

“Yeah?”

“And that the whole point of the show was to draw attention to orphan kids so they could possibly get adopted?”

“What? For real? Since when was that the purpose of the show?” Sunggyu questioned.

“Eh, it was probably mentioned at one point.” Sang Hyun replied. “But the point is, Hyun Su…he has a couple interested in adopting him.”

“He does? That’s great! Then he’ll have a real family.” Sunggyu replied, and then paused when he realized what it would mean. “Ah…so that means…”

“We’ll have to say goodbye to him soon…doesn’t it?” Woohyun stated solemnly.

“That’s the bad news.” Sang Hyun sighed.

“How….how long do we have with him?”

“Well, in two days, the three of you will be shooting the goodbye episode.”

“What? So soon?” Sunggyu frowned. “They didn’t even give us a warning!”

“Yeah…Hyun Su can’t be a part of the show anymore, since he will busy going through the adoptive process. And plus he has to get used to his new parents, and so he needs to be apart from you guys, so he doesn’t get too attached, you know?”

“Doesn’t get too attached?” Sunggyu sighed. “I think it’s a little late to be saying that isn’t it?”

 “Who…who’s adopting him?” Woohyun asked. “Can we meet them? Do they live close by?”

“Mm, I’m not sure, but…” Sang Hyun bit his lip. “Well, the social worker told me that it’s unlikely for the kids to be adopted by a family in Korea.”

“So…”

“So, Hyun Su could be leaving the country.”

Woohyun’s heart dropped down to his stomach as he swallowed. “So…So we may never see him again?”

Sang Hyun sent them a helpless look. “…I’m sorry kids.”

Sunggyu sighed sharply, attempting to take in the news. “Does he know?”

“Hyun Su? Yeah, he was told earlier today, while he was staying with Minjung-sshi.”

Sunggyu nodded, before turning to Woohyun. He put a hand on the other man’s shoulder. “Woohyun—.”

“Tomorrow…” Woohyun looked up, seemingly with a new resolve. “Let’s make it the best day ever for him.”

Sunggyu smiled, “Yeah.”

-----------------------------------------------

I’m really sorry for not updating for so long, but it was really hard writing the last chapter for this story, because truth be told, I’m so attached to this, even though its just a fanfic, Idek. But omg 400+ subscribers! Thank you <3<3