Meeting the parents (part 2)

Babysitting with the Stars

When Sunggyu and Woohyun returned from the bathroom, they were surprised to see a familiar face, talking with Sunggyu’s mother.

“Minhyuk?” Sunggyu walked up to him with Woohyun suspiciously following closely behind.

“Oh! Sunggyu hyung, there you are!” Minhyuk pulled the older man into a hug, and looked over his shoulder at Woohyun. He stuck his tongue out at Woohyun, who merely sent him a bitter smile in response.

“What’re you doing here?” Sunggyu asked, after pulling away.

“Stalking is an unattractive thing to do.” Woohyun retorted, folding his arms. Sunggyu snorted, wondering if Woohyun realized how hypocritical he sounded.

“Relax, I’m not stalking anyone.” Minhyuk chuckled. “I just came here to visit my sister.” He gestured to a lady, who looked to be a few years older than Sunggyu. She was giggling with Hyun Su about something.

“Oh…” Woohyun frowned.

“But I guess it must be fate, that we meet here, isn’t it hyung?” Minhyuk flashed Sunggyu a bright smile.

“Uh, sure.” Sunggyu shrugged.

“So Minhyuk was telling me he’s your new drummer.” Mrs. Kim clasped her hands together excitedly.

“Yeah…” Sunggyu nodded. “That’s what he does…”

“Wah, Hyun Su is so cute.” Minhyuk’s older sister gushed.

“Thanks.” Woohyun and Sunggyu smiled like proud parents.

“Ah, I’m Minhyuk’s noona.” She held out a hand for them to shake. “I hope my kid brother hasn’t been causing too much trouble for you.”

“Well…” Woohyun began, but was stopped when Sunggyu lightly nudged him in the ribs.

“No, he’s a good kid.”  Sunggyu smiled politely.

++

After lunch, they headed back to the hotel with the cameras following them into the lobby. The crew proceeded to bring out a karaoke machine.

“What’s that?” Woohyun asked, and then grinned. “Are we going to be singing?”

“We’re going to have an impromptu karaoke jam session.” The director announced with very little enthusiasm.

“Omo sounds fun!” Mrs. Kim cheered.

“Hyung you should sing.” Woohyun nudged Sunggyu, who was sitting beside him on the couch. “Then your parents will hear.”

“Should I?” Sunggyu asked nervously, glancing at his father from the corner of his eye. “Uh…maybe later.” He decided. Woohyun noticed Sunggyu’s hesitation, and decided to lighten the mood.

“Ok, who wants to go first?” The director held out the microphone.

“I will!” Woohyun announced confidently and grabbed for the mic. Everyone cheered lightly, except for Mr. Kim who seemed completely uninterested in the whole thing.

“Did you hear that honey?” Mrs. Kim tapped her husband’s arm. “Woohyun-ah’s going to sing for us!” Mr. Kim merely snorted, and turned away, expecting some kind of bubble gum pop garbage that the kids were into these days. He was surprised however, when Woohyun started singing a classic rock ballad, with his deep rich vocals.

After he finished, everyone cheered, except for Mr. Kim, and Woohyun bowed happily before returning to his seat next to Sunggyu. Mr. Kim watched as Sunggyu smiled at the younger man and patted him on the thigh. They didn’t say anything to each other, but it looked like they had communicated with their eyes alone.

Afterwards, Minjung and Mrs. Kim performed a duet of some girl group song, and Hyun Su and Sunggyu’s manager sang a kid’s song together.

“You’re up next Sunggyu.” Sang Hyun handed Sunggyu the microphone.

“I have an idea!” Woohyun announced. “Father and son duet!”

“What?” Sunggyu turned to Woohyun with an alarmed expression. “Woohyun, no—.”

“Duet! Duet!” Woohyun started a chant that everyone else eventually joined in on. Sunggyu quickly shook his head, while Mr. Kim did the same. “C’mon!” Woohyun grabbed Sunggyu’s arm, while Mrs. Kim did the same with her husband. They pulled the two reluctant men in front of the karaoke machine and handed them microphones.

“I’m going to take a walk.” Mr. Kim brushed them off, stuffing his hands in his pockets, as he stormed off, out of the lobby.

++

Later that evening, the show’s staff managed to gain permission to use a portion of the hotel’s kitchen for filming. However, there were some technical issues with the cameras that caused them to malfunction so they couldn’t film. Mrs. Kim was still keen on cooking up dinner for everyone though.

“How about Minjung and I make dinner?” Mrs. Kim suggested.

“Uh…” Minjung frowned slightly, not willing to spend any unnecessary time in the kitchen. She had plans to hit up a nearby club, since filming was called off anyways.

“I can help with dinner.” Woohyun offered, already aware of Minjung’s late-night plans.

“Ok great!” Minjung cheered.

“You?” Mrs. Kim blinked.

“Are you sure?” Sunggyu put a hand on Woohyun’s shoulder.

“Yeah.” Woohyun nodded. “Besides, I’m a much better cook than Minjung noona.”

“Well he’s not wrong about that.” Minjung shrugged in agreement.

At that, Minjung headed for the club and Sunggyu’s manager took Hyun Su to his room for a nap. Sunggyu decided to have a talk with his father, who was somewhere wandering off outside the hotel.

Meanwhile, Mrs. Kim and Woohyun started on dinner.

“Wow, you’re pretty good.” Mrs. Kim smiled, looking over Woohyun’s shoulder observing his knife skills.

“I used to cook a lot with my mother, when I was younger.” Woohyun explained, as he chopped up some vegetables. “Plus my brother owns a restaurant.”

“Ah, so it’s in your blood.” Mrs. Kim nodded, as she stirred a pot. “But that’s a good trait you know. Girls love a man who can cook. You’ll be a good husband someday.”

“Yeah…I guess.” Woohyun grinned, always happy to receive a compliment.

“Say…” Mrs. Kim paused, turning to face the younger man, with a wooden spoon by her lip. “What do you think of Sunggyu?”

Woohyun stopped cutting for a moment, and then cleared his throat and continued. “Ah well…hyung is…I mean he’s a good friend—.”

“With Minjung?” Woohyun’s heart immediately sank. He felt like hitting himself in the head. Of course Sunggyu’s mother would think about Minjung as a potential love interest for Sunggyu. Not himself. He was a man after all…

“I…I don’t really think she’s his type.” Woohyun murmured, focusing his eyes on his bamboo chopping board.

“But are you sure? I think she’s a nice girl. They could make a cute couple—.”

No, I don’t think they would.” Woohyun tried his best not to let his jealousy show, though his words did have a tinge of a bite to them.

“Hm…” Mrs. Kim pursed his lips, completely dismissing the idea of cooking dinner. “Well, do you know if Sunggyu’s dating anyone? It just feels like it’s been so long for him.” She walked over to Woohyun, tossing the wooden spoon on the counter. “Do you think that maybe…” Her eyes darted to and fro before she leaned in. “He’s having problems…down there.”

Woohyun almost let his knife slip and cut his finger, but barely managed to avoid doing so. “I’m sorry?” He turned to Mrs. Kim. “I don’t really—.”

“Is that something you guys talk about? Does he tell you about things like that?” Mrs. Kim pressed on, oblivious to how uncomfortable she was making Woohyun.

“I-I don’t really know.” Woohyun lied, since obviously he knew. Oh he knew alright. “But I’m pretty sure that’s not the problem—.”

“Because you know what I was thinking?” Mrs. Kim fished a packet of pills from her pocket to show Woohyun. “This is a highly potent…helper shall I say? It’s designed to get men to, well you know?” She winked at Woohyun, making the already extremely awkward conversation even more so. “So I was planning to crush this up and sprinkle it into Sunggyu’s food, and then lock him in a hotel room with Minjung for the night. Great plan right?!” Woohyun merely stared at her, jaw dropped, and eyes wide.

This woman is out of her damn mind! Why the hell does she care so much whether her son gets any?!” Woohyun knew he had to put a stop to it. “I don’t think that’s the best way to—.”

“We’re doing it.” Mrs. Kim decided, with a look of determination. “Tonight, my son will have !”

Crazy!” Woohyun realized. “She’s bat crazy!”

He tried to discard of the drugs, but Mrs. Kim, for some reason, kept the packet containing them, in her bra. Woohyun had to look away in horror, when she shamelessly shoved them down her leopard print blouse. Apparently a love for eyeliner wasn’t the only thing she had in common with her son.

++

Sunggyu and his father walked the perimeter of the hotel’s garden, in silence. The sun had already set and the sky was dark, with the only light source being the bright stars and the street lamps.

“OPPA!” Suddenly a girl rushed up to them, clutching onto a notepad. “OMG IT IS YOU!” She squealed. “Sunggyu oppa, I’m your fan! Waah, I knew that was you! C-Can I have your autograph?!”

“Uh sure.” Sunggyu smiled politely and took the girl’s pen and paper to sing it. Mr. Kim merely stood behind Sunggyu, watching the two curiously.

“Oppa…”

“Hm?” Sunggyu hummed, eyes concentrated on forming his signature.

“How’s Woohyun oppa?”

“Huh?” Sunggyu looked up, tilting his head. “He’s fine…”

“What about Hyun Su?”

“He’s ok too.” Sunggyu nodded, smiling slightly.

“Oppa.”

“What?”

“Who do you like better? Woohyun oppa, Hyun Su, or Minjung unnie?”

“What kind of question is that?” Sunggyu frowned. “I like them all.”

The fangirl pouted. “Well then what about between Woohyun oppa or your fans?”

“Why are you asking me questions only about Woohyun?” Sunggyu sighed, handing the girl back her notepad.

“Its ok you know? If you say it’s Woohyun oppa.” The girl grinned. “I’m not like those other fans.”

“What other fans?” Sunggyu raised an eyebrow.

“You know? The ones who think that oppa only belongs to them and that oppa can’t date anyone else.”

“Oh really?” Sunggyu grinned. “So if I said I liked Woohyun better, you wouldn’t mind?”

The girl pressed her hands to her cheeks, absolutely gushing. “DO YOU?!”

Sunggyu merely chuckled. “It’s getting late, you should get home.”

“Ok oppa! I’ll support you and Woohyun oppa forever!” She sang out. “Oppa fighting!”

Sunggyu sent her a small smile and a wave, as he and his father walked ahead.

Sunggyu glanced at his father from the corner of his eye, wondering if the older man was going to say something.

“That you moved to the city,” Mr. Kim coughed out. “It’s a good thing.”

Sunggyu instantly looked up. “Abeoji?”

“You have the talent…and a lot of people seem to support you.” Mr. Kim murmured. Sunggyu smiled and looked down, both of them feeling somewhat embarrassed. “A-Anyways…” Mr. Kim cleared his throat. “You mother tells me, you’re dating that Minjung girl.”

Sunggyu sighed. “No. That’s just mom being delusional again.”

“Why? What’s wrong with her?” Mr. Kim asked. “She seemed ok to me.”

“There’s nothing wrong with her…it’s just something that’ll never happen.” Sunggyu explained. “And you know, dad. Could you stop being so mean to Woohyun?”

“Woohyun? You mean that kid who wears all that makeup?” Mr. Kim grunted.

“He doesn’t wear that much makeup.” Sunggyu sighed. “And it really makes him feel bad, when you keep putting him down.”

Mr. Kim snorted. “Well if he was a real man, he wouldn’t get so affected.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Sunggyu frowned.

“I’ve seen him on that show you’re on. He’s always wearing all this makeup. He does all the cooking and cleaning, and takes care of the kid. He acts just like a house wife.” Mr. Kim retorted.

“Abeoji, that’s—.” Sunggyu paused, when he heard a shoe scrape the concrete behind him. He turned to see the object of their discussion standing there, not looking too happy. “Woohyun!” Sunggyu gasped. “How long were you—?”

“I came to call you for dinner.” Woohyun murmured, and held up his phone. “Hyung, you wouldn’t answer your phone so…”

“Oh, sorry.” Sunggyu reached into his pocket. “I must have turned it off.” He studied Woohyun’s expression, wondering how much he had heard of their conversation.

“Well let’s go then.” Woohyun said quietly, not even bothering to fake a smile.

“Damn it.” Sunggyu cursed. “He heard everything.”

++

Dinner was an uncomfortable affair, with the only sound being that of chewing and glasses clinking. Minjung was still at the club, and the staff went out to eat, so it was just Sunggyu, Woohyun, Hyun Su, and Sunggyu’s parents. They all sat at a small table in the corner of the kitchen that the cooking staff used for their meal breaks.

Sunggyu continuously glanced at Woohyun from the corner of his eye. Woohyun kept quiet and mostly stared at the food on his plate, occasionally taking a bite every now and then. Hyun Su was busy with his crayons and a napkin. And Mr. Kim grumpily stuffed his mouth, unwilling to ease the tense atmosphere.

Mrs. Kim remained oblivious to everything going on, however and went on with her plan.

Woohyun suddenly remembered about it, and his eyes darted to the other side of the kitchen, where he could see Mrs. Kim sprinkling the crushed up pills into a bowl of rice. “Hyung, I really have to tell you something—.”

“Here you go Sunggyu-yah.” Mrs. Kim suddenly placed the drugged rice bowl in front of Sunggyu. “A special serving for my special boy.”

“Thanks mom.” Sunggyu smiled like a little kid, as his mother affectionately his hair. She shot Woohyun a wink before returning to the kitchen. “So…” Sunggyu turned to Woohyun. “You wanted to tell me something?”

“Uh…just…let’s switch!” Woohyun grabbed the rice bowl out of Sunggyu’s hand, and pushed his in front of the older man.

“What?” Sunggyu frowned.

“I wanted this one.” Woohyun sent Sunggyu a greasy smile that he knew the elder could resist.

“Ok fine, whatever.” Sunggyu shrugged, not really caring either way. He was mostly just glad to see Woohyun seemed to be a little better.

Woohyun sighed in relief, but then realized that the drugged rice was in his hands now. He couldn’t eat it because then he would be the one suffering its effects. He ended up staring it down until everyone else had all but finished with their dinner.

“Woohyun, why aren’t you eating your rice?” Mrs. Kim asked.

“Huh?” Woohyun gulped. “Uh…I just, I’m not really hungry anymore—.”

“Give it to me.” Mr. Kim interrupted.

“Excuse me?” Woohyun blinked.

“How’re you even a man?” The older man muttered as he took Woohyun’s rice bowl. “Can’t even finish off a measly bowl of rice.”

Woohyun was going to stop him, but then decided against it.

“Yeah let him have it.” He grinned evilly to himself, imaging how much those drugs would make the old man suffer. And he also figured at Mr. Kim’s old age, he would need them more than ever.

++

After dinner, while Sunggyu was helping his mother with the dishes, and Hyun Su was still busy with his drawing at the table, Woohyun slipped out of the hotel. He stood at the entrance, reading over some text messages he had received from Sungyeol and the others.

From Sungyeol:

WE KNOW WHY YOU HAD THAT FIGHT THAT TIME! IT WAS BECAUSE YOU LIKE TO BOTTOM NOW RIGHT?! OMFG XD

From Myungsoo:

Congrats.

From Dongwoo:

Let me know, if you need any advice ;)

From Hoya:

Heh.

From Sungyeol:

Oops I realize my last message was all caps.

From Sungyeol:

But wait, I realize I don’t care.

From Sungyeol:

I’m bored. When are you coming home?

From Sungyeol:

It’s not as entertaining making fun of you when you’re not here in person.

From Dongwoo:

So did it hurt the first time? ;D

Woohyun was highly tempted to throw his phone to the concrete. In fact he was even more tempted to throw himself to the concrete and just lay there for eternity. But he resisted, and thought of a better option. A manlier option.

++

“Where’s Woohyun?” Sunggyu asked Hyun Su, as he dried his hands on a dish towel.

“Hm?” Hyun Su looked up from his masterpiece artwork that he had been slaving away on all through dinner. “I dunno. I think he left.”

“Well I can see that kid.” Sunggyu grinned and the child’s black locks before looking around the kitchen. “I wonder where he went…maybe I should call him?”

++

Woohyun could barely hear his phone ringing as he hazily stumbled down the street, a bottle of soju in hand. It was his third…or at least he thought it was. He kind of stopped keeping track at…well he didn’t even remember when.

“Stupid old man…” Woohyun muttered, thinking of Sunggyu’s father. “What’s wrong with caring about your appearance? Huh? That a crime or something?! And cooking is just a good skill! And if I don’t clean then who will?! He doesn’t know anything…He doesn’t know me…” He grumbled, almost letting the bottle slip out of his grip, but then tilted is head and looked around. He realized he probably wandered quite far away from the hotel.

“Hey, how ‘bout that one?” A low voice asked from somewhere behind him.

He haphazardly turned, eyes narrowed, in an attempt to see the figures approaching him on the dark empty street.

“Who’re you?” Woohyun blurted out, unclearly.

“Well aren’t you a pretty one?” One of the figures, a twenty-something man with spiked hair, and a shiny snake skin suit smirked.

“I’m not pretty!” Woohyun exclaimed, swinging an arm clumsily in the air. “I’m manly! I’m a man!”

“Oh of course you are.” The man cooed, as the group of men chuckled. The man turned to his crew and did some kind of gesture. “He’ll look good in the bunny outfit.”

“What?” Woohyun eyed them, with a confused expression. The man in the snakeskin stepped forward, Woohyun cheek.

“Now, now—.” He yelped, when Woohyun aggressively slapped his hand away.

“Get away from me.” Woohyun muttered.

“Ooh looks like bunny has claws.” The men joked, earning creepy snickers from the others.

“Oh you think this a joke do you?” Woohyun snorted, his eyes suddenly reflecting the depths of hell in them.

“Um…” The snakeskin man gulped, nervously. “M-Maybe he isn’t the right one—.”

“I HAD A TY DAY SO I DON’T HAVE THE PAITIENCE TO DEAL WITH YOU BASTARDS!” Woohyun roared. “GET THE EFF OUT OF MY FACE RIGHT NOW OR I’LL—!”

“Ok, Ok! We’re sorry!” The men squealed like a bunch of prepubescent girls and ran for the hills. Woohyun had his bottle raised in the air, tempted to throw it at the retreating figures, but decided against it. He groaned, and leaned against the dirty brick wall of some random building.

“No!” He cried. “Why’d they leave?! I need someone to talk to! Where’s Sungjong when you need him?!” He stopped with his pathetic sobbing, when he heard his ring tone go off.

“Hurro?” He answered in a slurred voice.

“Woohyun? Is that you?” It was Sunggyu. “Where are you?”

“Uh…” Woohyun studied the area for a moment. “The winter of my heart.”

“What? What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I dunno…” Woohyun giggled.

“Are you…are you drunk?”

“Noooo~”

“You are! Yah, what’s wrong with you?”

“Everything.” Woohyun sighed dramatically, cradling his soju bottle in his arms.

“Is this because of what my dad said?” Sunggyu asked, in a softer voice. “If it’s about that, then—.”

“I’m hanging up now~”

“Yah! Nam Woohyun, you better not, or I swear I will come over there and—!”

“Hyung…you sound really y when you’re angry.” Woohyun chuckled playfully.

He heard a deep sigh on the other end. “Just tell me where you are, so I can come get you.”

“Don’t wanna~” Woohyun sang into the phone before hanging up.

++

Sunggyu paced the hotel lobby. It had been half an hour since Woohyun had disappeared.

“I’m going to look for him.” Sunggyu decided, and reached for his jacket.

“No you’re not.” Sang Hyun stopped him, grabbing onto his arm. “Yah, you can’t go out there this late at night. Think about your position. And besides his manager is out looking for him. He’ll find him.”

Sunggyu frowned. “But…”

“If he’s a man, he should be able to handle himself.” Mr. Kim grunted. Sunggyu eyed his father with a slightly annoyed expression. He wanted to tell the man that it was probably his fault Woohyun wandered off in the first place.

“I’m sure he’ll be back soon dear.” Mrs. Kim assured her son, seemingly distracted, as she studied Sunggyu curiously. “But honey…you don’t feel strange or anything?”

“Strange?” Sunggyu blinked. “No…why would I—?”

“Oh no reason!” Mrs. Kim waved him off, though she appeared more suspicious than ever. “But where’s Minjung?”

“I think she’s still out.” Sunggyu sighed. He really couldn’t care less about Minjung and her party animal ways. He just wanted to find Woohyun and make sure he was ok.

“Hm…but it’s quite late.” Mrs. Kim put a finger to her chin. “That’s not good for a girl to be out so late. What if something happens to her?”

“She’ll be fine.” Sunggyu groaned. “Who cares about her? When Woohyun’s...” He paused, biting his lip. Mr. Kim stared at his son skeptically, while Mrs. Kim merely pouted.

“Why are you so worried about him?” Mrs. Kim questioned, cluelessly. “Your father’s right. He’s a man, so he should be—.”

“Oh wait he’s calling again!” Sunggyu hushed the others and answered the phone.

“Woohyun? What happened?”

“HYUNG! GUESS WHERE I AM RIGHT NOW!” Woohyun was practically shouting through the other end.

“No! Just tell me—.”

“TELL ME~TELL ME~DA DA DA DA TELL ME—!”

“Are you…are you actually sing—?”

“SING IT FOR THE BOYS! SING IT FOR THE GIRLS! SING IT FOR THE WORLD—!”

“Nam Woohyun, you better quit—.”

“PLAYING GAMES WITH MY HEART! PLAYING GAMES WITH MY HEART! OH I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN FROM THE START—!”

“Stop it! Shut—.”

“YOUR MOUTH AND CLOSE THE DOOR! I WANT TO WATCH YOU WHILE YOU TAKE IT OFF—!”

Sunggyu hung up and turned to the others.

“He’s gone insane. I have to go look for him.”

“No, you’re not going anywhere.” Sang Hyun commanded. “For now, your image is ok, but one wrong move and we’re back where we started. The media is a fickle beast Sunggyu.”

“But hyung,” Sunggyu frowned at his manager. “I know that but—.”

“I’ll go look for him.” Mr. Kim suddenly announced.

“What?” Sunggyu stared in amazement as his father casually strolled through the front door.

++

Woohyun sighed contentedly, as he ripped off the paper seal of his cup ramen, and took a gratuitous sniff. He was sitting outside a convenience store after sobering up with the assistance of some instant foods.

He told himself he would work off the extra calories later.

He was so involved with slurping up the salty broth that he didn’t even notice Mr. Kim slump down on the plastic chair across from him. He looked up his lips, and gasped in shock. He tried to stand up to bow, but ended up bumping his knee on the round plastic table leg.

“I-I’m sorry, I didn’t see—.”

“So you were here all this time.” Mr. Kim eyed him with that same glint of disapproval in his eyes.

Woohyun nodded quietly. “You came to look for me?”

“For some reason, my son was worried. I only did it for his sake.”

“Oh…” Woohyun kept his gaze down. He kind of wished Mr. Kim didn’t even bother. Because in all honesty, he would rather be alone than with the older man.

“You want to know the reason I don’t like you?” Mr. Kim stated bluntly. Woohyun looked up, nervously, but didn’t say anything. “I don’t even care about the cooking or the makeup, or any of that. Well I do care, but I suppose that’s how city men are, so there’s nothing I can do about that.”

Woohyun merely blinked, not really knowing where Sunggyu’s father was going with this.

“But what bothers me more is you.”

“…M-Me?”

“My son…he’s someone who is successful and he has a lot of people’s attention. But you…you’re no one.”

Woohyun didn’t even feel affected by the harsh comment. Well at least he told himself it didn’t affect him. Why should it? He’s been told that by many people many times—himself being one of those people. But despite all that, he still felt his chest ache slightly.

“I’ve watched you on that show. The way you’re shamelessly using my son to promote yourself disgusts me. A real man would make his own way. With his own strength.”

Woohyun focused his eyes on the empty ramen container in front of him. He hated how he just inhaled the whole thing. There was also the cookies and the coffee, and the fries…he had to double up on his running. Maybe add in some more gym time. Maybe if he—.

“It would be good if you didn’t see my son anymore.”

Woohyun froze. He swallowed down the lump in his throat and hesitantly looked up at Mr. Kim.

“E-Excuse me—?”

“After the show ends. Leave him alone after that.” Mr. Kim stated. “I don’t want my son associating with people like you.

“But Sir…” Woohyun’s eyebrows creased. “I…I’m not using your son. We’re friends. We—.”

“Is that what you tell the TV people so they’ll give you a role?” Mr. Kim snorted.

“W-What?” Woohyun felt tears b in the lids of his eyes but tried his best to hold them back. “Sir, I’m not—.”

“Let me give you some advice.” Mr. Kim stood up, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his coat. “Get your life together. And make something of yourself first, before daring to claim that you’re close to my son.” Mr. Kim muttered, and turned. “Its an ugly thing to do…brazenly dragging people down with you.”

Woohyun didn’t say anything—or rather, he couldn’t say anything. He just sat there, and watched Mr. Kim walk away.