Getting the Role

Babysitting with the Stars

Dongwoo spun around, drumming his fingers against the granite kitchen counter top. His head phones blasting music so loud that he didn’t even hear Sungyeol walk into the kitchen.

“He’s still sleeping?” Sungyeol asked, but Dongwoo didn’t hear him and continued dancing like no one was watching. Sungyeol rolled his eyes and walked up behind the shorter man, and ripped off his headphones.

“Oh Sungyeol!” Dongwoo beamed. “When’d you get here?”

“He’s not up yet is he?” Sungyeol asked, and Dongwoo nodded. “Didn’t his manager call like ten times already?”

“Hm…I think eleven!” Dongwoo grinned.

“I guess we gotta do it then.” Sungyeol sighed as the two left the kitchen and walked down the hall. They stopped at a closed door with a glittery yellow star tacked on to it. On the star it said “NAM” in bold black letters.

Sungyeol practically broke down the door and made a beeline for the bed, where a body lay, dead to the world. The choding kicked at the mattress, but all that resulted in was a slight grunt.

“Ya! Wake up!” Sungyeol yelled at the sleeping body.

“Woohyun wake up~!” Dongwoo pushed back the curtains and opened the blinds, letting sunshine engulf the room.

“…Too…bright…” Woohyun grumbled and covered his head with his pillow.

Sungyeol leaned in and yelled right in Woohyun’s ear. “Wake up already!”

“Ah…shut up!” Woohyun whined. “You’re so loud…”

“Did you go out drinking last night?” Dongwoo asked, as he pulled off Woohyun’s covers.

“It’s the weekend let me do what I want…” Woohyun mumbled into his pillow.

“The hell it is!” Sungyeol spat. “It’s Wednesday you idiot!”

“Whatever…” Woohyun sighed and refused to move. “What do you want?”

“Your manger’s been calling.” Dongwoo said. “He said he finally found you a job.”

Woohyun took a moment to register what Dongwoo had just said. “…what?” He shot up in bed, and immediately regretted it, as his head throbbed severely. Dongwoo grinned and handed him a glass of water. “A job? Really? He said that?” Woohyun asked, and then paused. “What time did he call?”

“At about nine this morning.” Sungyeol responded. Woohyun’s eyes went wide as he glanced at the clock. It read 12 noon. “It’s safe to say he’s pissed.” Sungyeol added.

++

Woohyun didn’t have time to get dressed up or anything as he rushed to catch the bus, wearing a red tracksuit, sneakers, and a baseball cap to conceal his messy bed hair.  “Damn it…”  Woohyun cursed to himself as he checked the time on his cell phone. Sungyeol was right. His manager was not going to be happy about Woohyun being over three hours late for their meeting. But Woohyun didn’t let that deter him. He was excited that he finally got a job. He didn’t even know whether it was in acting or modeling. But anything would do really. For the past ten years Woohyun hadn’t had a decent job, and he would accept anything at this point.

“Hey!” A thirty something woman, sitting on the bench beside his, pointed a finger at Woohyun. “Aren’t you that kid from that show? Uh…what was it called?”

“Kimchi and the Brain!” The lady sitting next to her answered. “You were Pickles Jr.!”

And there it was. The reason Woohyun hadn’t had a decent job in ten years.

Kimchi and the Brain was a popular detective sitcom back in the nineties. Woohyun played Kimchi’s baby brother Pickles Jr. who always solved the cases for Kimchi a local detective. The characters, especially Pickles Jr. became really popular and even got the show two spin off movies. But after six successful seasons the show ended its run when Woohyun was twelve.

That was the time when Woohyun began going through puberty, and that’s when things got difficult. He went to auditions for movies and attempted to take on a more serious acting role, but no one took him seriously. They told him they didn’t think he “had the emotional depth to portray the character,” or that “no one would take Pickles Jr. seriously.”

He then decided to take some time off acting and went to study acting at an arts school.

That was where he had in fact met Sungyeol and Dongwoo. The three became fast friends, as they struggled to make it big and make their dreams come true. But after graduating, things changed.

Sungyeol got many modeling offers, and was already signed up to guest star in a big budget drama. He later went on to win acting awards and be featured in many upscale fashion magazines.

Dongwoo got signed to a hip hop record label after graduating, and is currently well known for his collaborations with famous female pop singers, topping the music charts quite frequently.

And then there was Woohyun.

Who had nothing to his name except Pickles Jr. and the occasional diarrhea commercial. Sometimes it made him feel left out when Sungyeol and Dongwoo talked about their latest successes, and Woohyun had nothing to share. Of course he felt happy for his friends, but it was still frustrating. He knew Dongwoo and Sungyeol paid more than their half for the rent, when Woohyun was low on cash. He felt thankful, but it was also embarrassing. That was the main reason why he was forced to accept any miniscule job that came his way. Whether it was an acne commercial, or a non speaking guest role on a third rate sitcom, he would take it.

He had his pride after all.

++

“Yah! Do you know how long I’ve been waiting?!”

Woohyun grinned as he shuffled past confused onlookers, into a small café, and towards his manager, Oh Man Suk. “Sorry hyung.” Woohyun smile sheepishly as he sat down across from Man Suk.

“You went out last night didn’t you?” Man Suk gave him a disapproving look.

Woohyun clutched his hat, and grinned. “Is it that obvious?”

Man Suk merely rolled his eyes. “Anyways…You finally got a job! And this is a big one!”

“Really?!” Woohyun cheered. “What is it? A movie? A drama on a big network?”

“A reality TV show.”

Woohyun blinked. “…What? I thought you said this was big…”

“You didn’t even let me finish.” Man Suk sighed. “They’ve gathered a bunch of stars together, and they're going to pair them off into groups of two. Each pair will take care of an orphan from the children’s shelter.”

“Ok…” Woohyun nodded.

“Doesn’t it sound great?” Man Suk grinned. Woohyun just eyed him skeptically. “Oh come on! You love kids! Its all for a good cause! Plus if you get paired with a really popular celebrity then you’ll get more airtime!”

Woohyun put a finger to his chin, pretending to be deeply contemplating his decision.

“To do it or not to do it…” Woohyun exclaimed dramatically.

Man Suk sighed. “Quit the act. I know you’re going to take the part. I already told the producers.”

++

“A reality show?!” Sunggyu gasped. He had just come in to his company’s office for a meeting with the CEO. “Why do I have to do that? Can’t I just be focused on my music?”

The CEO sighed, and folded his arms, leaning back on his chair. “You know Sunggyu I wouldn’t make you do this if it wasn’t serious…”

He took a magazine out of his drawer and slid it in front of Sunggyu. “But just look at this…” The magazine had Sunggyu’s picture on the front cover, in between two girls’ pictures. The caption read ‘Bad Boy Kim Sunggyu continues his heartbreaker streak. Cheating on two of Korea’s most beloved actresses at the same time?!’

“This is just a stupid tabloid.” Sunggyu sighed. “I’ve never even met these women before!”

“I know…but you know how people can get…they just love to make mountains out of molehills…”

“But there weren’t even any molehills!” Sunggyu exclaimed. “I haven’t even dated anyone since debuting…let alone famous people.”

“This isn’t the only thing though…” The CEO reached into his desk drawer and took out a whole stack of magazines and newspapers. He flipped through them. “Take your pick…there’s drug scandals, drunken partying stories, rumors that you’ve thrashed hotel rooms, yelled at staff, there’s even some saying you’ve gotten hundreds of women pregnant."

“Where do they even get this from?!” Sunggyu groaned. “I’ve never done any of that stuff! Not even close! The only drugs I’ve ever taken are for when I have a cold!”

“I know—.”

“I don’t even take those little shampoos and soaps that everyone steals when they go to hotels!”

“That’s why—.”

“I always make sure to be respectful with the staff! From my last music video, I even treated the entire staff out for ice cream!”

“Ok! Sunggyu I already know you’re a good kid.” The CEO interrupted. “That’s why I think you should do this show. You’ll be working with kids. It’ll show a good image that people haven’t seen from you yet. The real you.”

Sunggyu looked down, thinking it over. “But I’m not good on variety shows…I’m really awkward because I get nervous.”

“That’s ok. People will like that side of you. It’ll show them that you’re not like what all the tabloids make you out to be.” The CEO grinned. “So does that mean you’ll do it?”

Sunggyu sighed. “I guess…”

-----------------------------------------------

Intro chapter~

Thanks for subscribing, and please comment^^