Chapter 40

Ditch or Hitch: Like You Have a Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's POV

“Come in.” Kris called out, hearing a knock on his door.

“Sir, the financial reports you requested.” The man said as he held out a stack of folders.

“Just leave them there.” Kris replied, not bothering to look up at his new secretary.

He was too focused on finishing a presentation on his laptop to do anything else. “What does my schedule look like for the rest of the day, Minhun-sshi?”

Immediately, Minhun whipped out his PDA and reviewed all the events which were planned out for his boss.

“You have a meeting with the board of directors at three. After that, you have to greet the new vice president of the Chinese branch at dinner. And at eight you’re supposed to grab a drink with General Manger Han.”

“I see. You may return to your desk then.” Kris ordered.

“Yes sir,” Minhun bowed and made his exit.

When the door closed, Kris glanced at the pile of folders on the corner of his desk and inwardly groaned.

Today was going to be a really, really long day for him.

Over the last three weeks, Kris has been drowning himself in work. Even doing things which weren’t even required of him.

Like for example: going out to grab a drink with some general manger in his company.

But as long as it prolonged the amount of time he spent outside of his house, he was willing to do it.

He did have an image to uphold after all.

~*~

Unlocking the front door, Kris stepped inside and removed his coat.

It smelt of alcohol and cigars which he found extremely repulsive.

He didn’t drink or smoke. It was just that the bar Manger Han had selected was consumed with those odors.

And unfortunately, he had to endure those unbearable stenches for two whole hours.

After you had left, he never touched another glass of alcohol.

“Master Wu, would you like something to eat?” A maid questioned as she retrieved his outerwear.

“No, I’m alright.” He answered, loosening his tie. “Did she—” He couldn’t find it in himself to ask.

It was futile and pointless to do so but there was just this part of him that was wishing for your return or at least a visit.

“I’m sorry but your wife did not come.” The woman reported.

“I should have guessed that,” he let out a bitter chuckle and ran his fingers through his hair.

What was he expecting?

How could he even think that everything was just going to go back to the way they were because some time had passed and the two of you had spent some time apart?

The elderly woman noticed how her employer’s shoulders slumped and sagged as he trudged towards the stairs and she sighed. She wasn’t blind.

She could tell your absence was the cause for his melancholic state.

And being an elder of the house, it pained her to see the two of you like this. It hurt her to see you guys separate on such terms.

She didn’t know all the details and she didn’t need to.  

It tore her heart to pieces because she could tell just how much you meant

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter