Chapter 39

Ditch or Hitch: Like You Have a Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author POV

You thanked Driver Sheng as you got out of the car and walked up to the old bricked building.

It had been three weeks since you’ve moved out of Kris’s house and a lot of things had changed.

You had quit your job at Karma and gotten a job at the library. You figured that since the professions and the job hours were too different, it’d be hard for Kris to find you.

You had also managed to find a cheap apartment a couple of blocks down for rent. It was quite rundown, but it was affordable and practical since it was near your new job.

You’ve told Driver Sheng that there was no need to drive you around anymore since you had already found a lawyer to draw up divorce papers. Pretty soon you would go back to being plain Huang Xinlei. However, the man had stubbornly refused arguing that his job was to transport you to your destination up until the very end of your days being a Wu. You had given up trying to convince him otherwise only to come up with an agreement that the man would not spill to his employer of your whereabouts.

As you walked up the steps of the library entrance, you checked your watch. It was half past noon.

“He’s probably skipping lunch right about this time,” you muttered under your breath. You mentally scolded yourself as you registered your own thoughts.

You have been keeping mental tabs on Kris’s daily schedule ever since you had left the house. It was almost automatic. You didn’t think about it, the thought just came to you. Everything you did remind you of him and many times of the day you would look around thinking that you could hear his voice or simply feel his presence right behind you.

You feared that he would come and force you to return. Part of you hated the idea of being coerced to your meaningless position of being his wife, but the other part of you desperately wanted him to appear in front of you and demand that you return.

You knew that deep within you, you wanted him to want you.

It was a horrible wish. A horribly silly wish.

Kris was still deeply infatuated with his runaway fiancée. Why else would he call for her when he was at his most vulnerable?

You could understand why. The two of them were one in the same. Very much alike.

They think the same and even come from very similar backgrounds.

You weren’t even half up to par with a woman like her.

She was powerful, strong, and confident.

While you were hotheaded, demanding, and sensitive.

There was no way Kris could ever like someone like you.

You entered the employee work room of the library and opened your designated locker. You stuffed your coat and your purse in and took a quick peek at your reflection from the mirror that was hanging on the locker door by a magnet.

In all actuality, you quite liked this job over working at the bar.

You worked during the daytime. The pay was quite nice. The surrounding was quite and the patrons were more poised and refined. Also, you also preferred the dress code here than at your old job. There, you had to dress in uncomfortable clothing to lure sweaty, pigheaded men towards the bar. Here, you wore more comfortable and less revealing dresses and skirts. It was all very good.

The door to the workroom opened which caused you to turn around.

You almost laughed as you saw a large book cart struggling to be pushed into

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter