Chapter 15

Ditch or Hitch: Like You Have a Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's POV

 

“You said all I had to do was show up, sit down and smile. Why do I have to dress up too?” you complained on the other side of the bathroom door.

 

For the last two hours you had been through a hazardous cloud of hairspray and tornado of blush.

 

It was all thanks to Kris and his last minute commands. Or as he had phrased them: suggestions.

 

“You act like wearing a dress is rocket science. Just hurry and come out. You still don’t have your accessories on.” Kris pointed out sternly as he examined himself in the mirror.

 

“I don’t want to,” you huffed in defiance as you lifted up your floor length dress.

 

Your toes wiggled in the opened-toe heels Kris had picked out for you before you exhaled and let go of the silky fabric bundled in your palms.

 

You took in another sharp breath of air and flattened over any creases which might have formed on the dress.

 

It was rare for you to be seen in such feminine and elegant attire and you weren’t sure how you felt about your current appearance.

 

Yes, you wore pencil skirts to work but they were never this eye-catching or beautiful oh and let’s not forget to include expensive or designed by someone famous.

 

For once in your life, you felt like someone of importance and you hated it because you were only experiencing such a feeling because of money.

 

“I’m coming out but don’t you laugh or I won’t hesitate to sock you in the eye, superior or not,” you warned seriously as your trembling fingers curled around the handle.

 

Your lids fluttered closed as you opened the barrier separating you from Kris.

 

Kris heard the door opening and he glanced into the mirror only to be mesmerized.

 

His eyes widened in shock as his adam’s apple bobbed up and down due to the fact that he had swallowed a large amount of saliva which had formed in his mouth unexpectedly.

 

He quickly straightened up and spun around on his heels to meet your face.

 

I can’t believe she’s Huang Xinlei. There’s no way that could be her. I would have certainly noticed if my secr--

 

“Yah! I told you I didn’t want to dress up. That’s it, I’m changing back into a pair of jeans and sweater. If the Jangs have a problem, they can deal with it.” You announced, flustered as you walked over to get your clothes.

 

No one had ever looked at you the way Kris just did. It stirred up some foreign feelings in the pit of your stomach which you mistook as nervousness.

 

“Nevermind, that’s Huang Xinlei alright,” Kris mumbled to himself as he shook his head.

 

“Who the hell does their hair and makeup just to sit down and eat? What a waste of time and money,” you grumbled spitefully.

 

You could have definitely directed the money wasted on your appearance for one night to feed an entire homeless shelter if that had been an option.   

 

As you carried on thinking about other things the money could have been spent on, you should have really paid attention to where you were walking.

 

And you should have lifted your dress up because before you knew it, you accidently stepped onto the end of your gown and tripped forward.

 

You landed with a loud thud. “Aish,” you groaned, laying on the floor.

 

“Oh, Xinlei.” Kris gasped as he rushed over and helped you up.

 

You held onto your head and grunted. “Stupid dress.” you scolded as you slapped your thigh, thinking you’d hurt the piece of clothing wrapped snuggly around your body.

 

“Are you okay?” he questioned as he held onto your arms and examined you.

 

His fingers were brushing against your face graciously, moving your bangs out of his way in case you bruised yourself.

 

The sudden contact and concerned gesture made you feel alienated as you cleared your throat and took a step back.

 

“I’m fine.” you knocked on your head and let out a dry chuckle. “My head is hard as a rock. No need to get all caring.”

 

For a few moments, Kris could only blink at you before his brain registered his previous actions. He had never been so attentive towards any women with the exception of Yoojung.

 

But even with her, it had taken him some time to get physically comfortable.

 

Yet here he was touching and holding you as though he had known you for decades.

 

The atmosphere became quite awkward after your little slip up and you didn’t know what to say.

 

“That color--it suits your skin tone nicely.” Kris shyly commended. His forte was never compliments or praises especially to the opposite .

 

Therefore he wasn’t really accustomed to make such statements.

 

“I’m sure it does,” you sighed, too hungry to make a sassy remark.

 

These last two days of not feeling hungry was coming back to bite you on the since you were practically on the verge of starvation at this point.

 

“Do I really have to go down there dressed up like this? I mean for the wedding I didn’t even look twice as decent.” You commented truthfully.

 

“Just think of this as a business engagement, Ms. Huang. Now we’re supposed to meet Director Jang and his wife at the restaurant in fifteen minutes.” Kris informed as he looked at the watch for confirmation.

 

“So let’s just put on some earrings, a necklace and a bracelet to finish up your outfit.” Then the latter dragged you over to the vanity and forced you into the chair.

 

“I’m not really a fan of jewelries. How about I pass?” you requested and as you tried getting to your feet, Kris pushed you back down.

 

“Diamonds are a girl’s best friend, are they not?”

 

You glanced at his reflection and your mouth fell ajar at the stunningly crafted necklace resting in his hands.

 

You could immediately tell it was worth a fortune as you watched him unclasp the hook and gently place it around your neck.

 

The diamonds felt cold and sharp against your skin but you had to admit they were beautiful.

 

Once Kris finished, he picked up the box with the earrings.

 

He wasn’t sure if he should put them on for you as well and as he was debating, you stood up.

 

“I don’t have my ears pierced so I think all I need is the bracelet. Hurry before I regain sanity and change my mind.” you prodded as you curled a strand of hair behind your ear to show him the unpierced flesh.

 

“I was never a fan of needles going through my skin.”

 

“I didn’t know. If that’s the case, here.” Kris slipped on the thin diamond bracelet and adjusted your wedding band along with your engagement ring.

 

He took a step back and inspected you.

 

Although he didn’t verbally admit it, mentally he confessed that you were a very, very great candidate for a wife.

 

Now he wasn’t regretting selecting you to be his replacement bride because he was positive no other woman could play the part better than you could.

 

You were always so business oriented.

 

Placing work before feelings.

 

Differentiating your personal life from your work life.

 

That’s why Kris knew he could always count on you and tonight was just another prime example.

 

“Are we all done now?” you asked as you carefully walked over to the door.

 

“I believe so,” Kris affirmed as he ran after you.

 

He opened the door and allowed you to exit first.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter