The Tour Guide (TOP)

Big Bang Random One-Shots

Hello everyone!  Here is a story featuring our beloved TOP (or Top as I spell it).  This was a challenge to write a romance story about Top, so I hope I accomplished it.  Enjoy!

 

I sat in the park one day, watching kids playing.  I was really bored, but had nowhere to go.  I had just been laid off my job that morning, and my roommate had her parents visiting over the weekend, so I had offered up my room, saying that I would find someplace else to sleep. However, I only had a little cash and that meant a night spent at one of the shadier motels in town.  I just wanted to put off having to stay there.

It was a sunny day, so I could spend as much time outside as I wished, but I was really getting bored watching happy people walk by while I had to start job hunting tomorrow.  My day was not going well, and it did not look like it would be getting any better.

As I sat there be my fate, I noticed a man wandering along the edge of the playground.  At first, I thought he was some sort of ert watching the children, but he seemed to be ignoring the children.  In fact, he looked lost, alternating between looking at his phone and looking at the people around him.

I was tempted to ignore him, but he seemed to be heading in my general direction and I thought that perhaps I would offer to help him out.  As he continued wandering, I stood up and went over to him.  As I approached him, I saw that he was actually rather handsome.  He had blue hair, but his eyes and facial structure were striking and almost made me pause for a second.

"Excuse me, are you looking for someone?"  I asked him.

He watched me for a second before saying in the deepest voice I have ever heard, "Yes, actually I'm looking for my manager.  He said to meet him here so we could then go around the city, but I have no idea where he is."

"Have you tried calling him?"

"He won't answer his phone."

I thought about it for a second.  "Are you from around here?"

"No,  I'm just here for a photo shoot, but that was over this morning.  My manager said he would take me out shopping and checking out the city before we leave tomorrow, but that won't happen at this rate."

"Well, then we'll get you a cab and have it take you back to your hotel.  Follow me," I pulled out cell and was about to dial it when a hand stopped me.  I looked up at the guy.  

He seemed to be considering something before he said, "Actually, I think you might be just what I need."

"What?  A cab number?"  I asked, confused.

He burst out laughing and the way he laughed made me smile as well.  It was a nice kind of laugh, a kind that I rarely heard.  He shook his head.  "No, not a cab number.  I was actually thinking that, since you seem to know the area, maybe you could show me the best stores to hang out at.  If my manager ever shows up here, he has my number.  What do you think?"

My cautionary side was worried about going with a complete stranger anywhere.  I knew nothing about this guy and I needed to go find a motel room anyway, but he spoke up again.

"Of course, I'll pay you for your services as a ‘tour guide'.  In fact, I can pay you around half right now and then the rest at the end of the day," He pulled out his wallet and my eyes widened as he pulled out some money and handed it to me. "Is that enough for your troubles?"

My mind almost went blank as I stared at the money.  If that was just half, than that would be able to hold me over for more than a week at a nicer hotel with meals.  It was just what I needed.  I smiled at him.

"Deal.  But first, what's your name?"

"Top," He answered.

"Did your parents really name you that?"

"No, but it's my work name and I prefer to go by it anyway."

"What do you do?"

"I'm a musician.  Thus, the need for a manager."

The name seemed familiar, and I wanted to know more, but I felt that it was enough to hold me over in my job.  My job.  Such a nice ring to it.  I adjusted my purse, took the money, and asked, "So, what do you like to shop for?"

The rest of the afternoon passed in a blur as Top and I went from store to store looking at everything from hats and shoes to stuffed animals and cellphone cases.  However, Top was not just buying things for himself or his family as souvenirs.  No, he insisted on buying me random things as well.  Especially clothes.  I ended up with a new jacket, jeans, shirts, skirts and a nice pair of boots.  All of them in my size and style.  He even bought me a cute cellphone case for my phone.  I tried my best to protest, but he's rather good at ignoring people, add in his size, and I ended up carrying just as many bags of stuff as he did.

While we shopped, we talked.  I learned more about his job and family, while he learned more about my previous job and new living situation.  We joked around, debated, whined, even threw things at each other occasionally when the other was being annoying.  I really enjoyed my time and I think he did as well.

However, all good things must come to an end.  His manager eventually called him, gave some excuse for not being able to make it, but said that he was now waiting at the park again with a car.  Top decided to just walk the block back to the park instead of having the car come pick him up.

We continued talking a bit, but he seemed to go silent.  I eventually just decided to focus on carrying my new stuff and so we arrived at the park without saying a word.

It was kind of dark at the park and everyone had gone home.  But near the playground, at one of the picnic tables I had sat near earlier that day, there were candles and lanterns, a tablecloth, and some wine with glasses.  I stared at the setting, hoping we weren't interrupting something, but Top strode over to the table and set his purchases down on the ground.  I followed, curious, and Top took my purchases and set them down as well.

When he stood up again, he was smiling nervously, fiddling with his hands a bit.  "So, what do you think?" He asked.

"Of what?"  I responded, confused.

"The table, everything."

"I guess it's nice.  But what does it have to do with me?"

Top sighed, laughing a bit.  "Um, this is all for you, so, please have a seat and I'll explain everything."

Still perplexed, I sat down and Top opened the wine and filled our glasses.  Out of nowhere, a waiter showed up and set plates of delicious food before us.  I was impressed with the spread, but still baffled as to what was going on.  I looked up at Top, who was playing with his wine glass.

"What is this all about?"  I asked.

He smiled a little.  "What did you first think of me when you saw me this afternoon?"

I was a bit peeved that he had avoided my question, but I went with it.  "I thought you were lost and needed some help."

"Exactly.  That is what I was hoping you would think," He put his glass down and faced me, looking into my eyes.  "When I first saw you, I thought you were beautiful, intelligent and fun.  You knew how to handle yourself and others, but also helped those in need.  You enjoy the simple things in life and that is something I appreciate in a woman."

I stared at him.  "Wait, you figured that all out by seeing me sitting on a bench?"

Top shook his head, his smile wide.  "No, today was not the first day I have seen you.  I saw you two days ago and yesterday as well.  Remember?  You used to work at that photography studio as an assistant.  My group and I were there for our photo shoot.  I saw you running around doing everything for everybody.  Because you attracted me instantly, I watched you but you always seemed too busy to notice me.  I thought that I would ask you out this morning, but they said that you had been laid off because they did not need an assistant anymore.  I ended up asking around and someone mentioned that you liked to hang out at this park at lunchtime.  I went there, saw you long before you saw me, and decided to set up a date for us.  And so, here we are."  He leaned back and took a sip of wine.

Suddenly it all made sense to me.  I remember seeing him at the studio I used to work for, but I had been so busy that I barely had time to look at him and his group before heading off to make coffee, organize files, move equipment and check on the stylists.  I did not get along with my boss, so I knew I would eventually get fired.  It shocked me that this guy had noticed me at all.  But then, I realized something else.

"So, this whole ‘tour guide' thing was just a set up?"

He shrugged.  "Pretty much.  I like to think of it more as a ‘mini date' before the actual formal dinner date."

"And the money?"

"Keep it.  You were a great tour guide, and worth it all.  Unless, you just enjoyed the day for the cash?"

I shook my head.  "No, I loved it.  Today was a lot of fun.  The money was just a nice bonus."

"Good," He said, smiling.

We sat in silence for a second, before he said, "So, do you think this ‘untraditional' date might lead to another date?  Like, tomorrow morning before I have to leave?  I'll be back in a week for other work."

I smiled.  "Perhaps.  Let's just try this dinner and see what happens.  If I like you enough, I might consider giving you a better tour of the city when you come back."

"Sounds like a deal."

 

What did you all think?  Please tell me in a REVIEW!  You all push me to keep writing, and I appreciate all the love, so thank you!  Until next chapter, Li Li