Chapter Twenty Eight

Between Betrayal and Lust

It was around midnight when Hae sneaked out of his room. He shielded himself and entered the prisoner's room. He thought for a moment that he sensed Hyukjae. Onew and Sunny had secured Yesung with a metal and wooden cage. The captive only had a small area to walk in.

'There is no need to protect yourself, Donghae.' Yesung said.

'I promised Hyukjae I'd be more careful.' Hae smiled as he sat down in front of the cage.

'You want to know about Hyukjae's aura?' Yesung asked.

Hae frowned. 'No, that is private.'

Yesung's eyes softened. 'I wish you were a Kim.'

Hae tilted his head to the side. 'Why?'

'So we could be friends, family.'

'We still can be friends.'

'You are so naieve.'

'Who decides that we can't?'

'The war, our leaders...' Yesung said calmly.

'Screw them!'

Yesung chuckled as his eyes looked behind Hae and then quickly focused back. 'I know you already screwed yours, but I don't feel anything ual for Heechul.'

Hae ignored the comment. 'Why do you hate us so much? What happened?' Donghae asked.

'It's all about power, dominance.'

'I don't need power nor dominance.'

'You are one of the most powerful I have ever met though. You only drink from Hyukjae, don't you?'

Hae looked down and rubbed his hands together. 'I-I don't want to harm humans. My best friend is one.'

'Many of the humans agree to be . If you don't drink from a human soon, you'll get dependent and if anything would happen to Hyukjae, you'd die of thirst.'

'I don't care.'

Yesung scanned the boy and raised his eyebrows. 'You really don't. What is Hyukjae to you?'

Hae looked away. 'I-I don't have words to explain him.'

Both were lost in their thoughts for a bit.

'Free me.' Yesung said softly.

Hae's head snapped up. 'No, sorry, I won't.'

'Why not?'

'I'm not disobeying Hyukjae.'

'You already have by being here.'

'I just wanted to talk with you.'

'About what?'

'How to end this war, I don't want to lose any of my friends.' Hae whispered.

'You really care about them, more than about yourself.'

'Without others, we don't matter.' Hae said.

Yesung stared intensely at the boy. 'Damn it.'

'What?' Hae was confused.

'I'll never be able to harm you, you are just too...too good.'

'If you don't hurt others, I won't harm you either.' Hae said.

'True but you wouldn't harm me if I hurt you.'

'I'm not important.'

'And that is your biggest flaw, right there. Why don't you love yourself?'

Hae's eyes widened in shock. 'I-I...'

'It's the only dark thing in your aura, you don't have any self worth, like right now, you are only protecting yourself cause Hyuk told you to.'

Hae looked down, tears started to well up.

'Don't cry.' Yesung said, his voice soft and hoarse.

'I'm sorry.'

'Don't apologise. So many people love you, heck I love you and we just met. Learn to love yourself Hae. Now go get some sleep.'

Hae bowed and said farewell. 'I'll bring you breakfast tomorrow morning, hyung.'

Yesung smiled.

Hae left the room silently.

'Now you have your answer, Hyuk.' Yesung said.

Hyuk appeared from behind the curtain, he sat himself back down on the chair.

'He didn't notice you although I thought I saw some smoke earlier...' Yesung laughed.

'Stop teasing me, Yeye.'

'He's pure, Hyuk.'

'I know.' Hyuk sighed. 'That's what worries me the most.'

'Liar.'

Hyuk looked up.

'The thing that worries you the most is the fact that he doesn't care whether he lives or dies.'

Hyuk sighed again. 'I'll ask Kyuhyun tomorrow about Hae's past, it must be in there.'

'You still want me to interrogate him to find out the gaps in his memory?' Yesung asked.

'Yes.'

'Okay.'

'Did you mean it?'

'Did I mean what, Hyuk?'

'That you loved him already.'

Yesung stared at him. He nodded. 'He's even more good hearted than you are.'

'Shut up, turtle.'

'Hyuk, you might scare the world but we grew up together. You will always be that little jumpy monkey boy from next door. And as a former friend, it feels good to see you in love.'

Hyuk choked. 'WHAT?'

Yesung chuckled. 'You heard me.'

'I am n..'

'Hyuk, you can't hide anything from me. But don't worry, I won't spill your dark little secret to the others.'

Hyuk bit his lip.

'Remember when we build that tree house?' Yeye said softly.

Hyuk relaxed and nodded. 'The last summer before you were awakened.'

'I'm sorry I left you without a word.'

'It was for the better, hyung.'

They looked at each other, both remembering their awesome childhood together. Hyuk nodded and left.