Chapter 9

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I was still smiling when I got back at Spines to pick up Young Soo. We both said our goodbyes to Aunt Sora who insisted that we should probably just stay at her place for the night. But I knew we couldn’t. I also told my Aunt that Young Soo wanted to spend the night with our mom. Young Soo was very excited to get home and watch the DVD he was talking about even though we’ve already seen it together in the cinema a few months back. As we cross the street, my heart leaped to my throat from the sight.

Mom was out and she was talking loudly with some people her age. I recognized some of those people, they were her “new friends” and they were laughing and chatting loudly that some people stop and stare daggers at them. I subtly covered Young Soo, so he wouldn’t see our mom who was supposed to be at work. She was supposed to be talking with her company so they would take her back again but she didn’t. Somehow, I knew she didn't bother dropping by at work at all.

When Young Soo and I arrived home, I launched another lie, yet again, to my little hopeful brother. I told him that mom was too ill and couldn’t get out of bed so we’re the only ones who’ll be able to watch the movie. The good thing was mom didn’t arrive until the movie ended, I was able to tuck Young Soo in bed. I hesitated if I should wait for my mom to arrive, I settled some pillows on our couch and cover myself with blanket as I waited for mom.

As usual, mom arrived in the morning. Drunk and all.

The next day, I was not in the mood to confront my mom why she lied to me and pretended she was sick. Mom tried to talk to me once in a while but I merely gave her the cold shoulder. Sometimes I would speak to her when Young Soo is around and making funny faces at us. I didn’t want to have an argument with mom especially with Young Soo around.

After dinner, I spotted my mom crying again in her bedroom while holding my dad’s photo. I never understood why she’s still completely in love with my dad and why she still hoping he’d comeback. I hated my dad for leaving us and if I were the one in-charge, I wouldn’t accept his money to sustain my education at my current school. It’s the very reason why I’m so keen to get a scholarship at HBCA, so I wouldn’t get anything out of him.

------

At school the next day, I was still avoiding Min Jee. We have two classes together but I didn’t speak to her or make eye contact with her. But in the corner of my eyes, I knew Min Jee wanted to speak to me and some part of me wanted to cave in already and just talk to my best friend. Truth is, I needed someone to vent my frustrations over my mom and I usually do that with Min Jee.

“Earth to Hana.”

I blinked and noticed Baekhyun standing in front of me, waving his hand in front of my face. I just came out of the newspaper team office to submit Mi Young my written article about the Talent Showcase and my mind suddenly wandered. “Baekhyun.” I said. “Hi.”

“Are you okay?” he asked as we walked along the hallway.

“Yeah, just thinking.” I said, nodding my head lightly.

“About last Saturday, I’m sorry.” he said, looking at me ruefully, “I should’ve told you that Kkamjong is the--"

"Wh-who?" I asked, suddenly befuddled.

Baekhyun looked at me like I should've known who he's talking about. "Oh! I meant Jongin." he clarified. "We tease Jongin Kkamjong." he said, laughing a little. "Don't tell him I told you all about that."

I nodded my head slowly. "Okay."

"So, yeah," Baekhyun said, "Sorry about that. I bumped into him so I figured maybe he should be the one to go.”

“It’s alright.” waving my hand dismissively.

“And, uh, how are you?”

“I’m good.” I said, glancing at him sideways and giving him a smile. “Why d’you ask?”

Baekhyun shrugged. “I spoke with Min Jee awhile ago.” he said, “You still upset with her?”

I averted my gaze and sighed. “Thank you by the way.” I said, changing the subject.

“For what?”

I looked back at him. “For being such a good friend.” I said genuinely. “And also for taking Min Jee safely at home.” I added as we rounded a corner.

“That’s alright.” Baekhyun said and then his phone started buzzing.

I shifted my attention to give him room in checking his message. I caught a pop music vaguely playing from one of the rooms and I knew right then that we’re in the Performing Arts department. I spotted Sehun and Yixing in one of the dance studios. Like their classmates, they were wearing plain T-shirts and harem pants and they seemed like they’re both helping each other with their steps. Yixing caught my gaze, he waved at me with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter