Chapter 5

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I was still infuriated during the ride back to Yixing’s house. I couldn’t meet anyone’s eyes from the humiliation. But the three boys seemed okay and understanding of the situation. Yixing even offered to have Min Jee stay in one of their guest rooms to rest for awhile. He said we couldn’t possibly go home with Min Jee intoxicated. I protested at first but after giving it a thought, I knew he was right so eventually, I agreed.

Min Jee was sitting between me and Jongin in the backseat. Min Jee kept on mumbling that she’s sorry but I couldn’t look at her. Min Jee broke her promise to me. I spent the whole trip without uttering a word, not talking to anyone, not even comforting Min Jee who finally dozed off after a few minutes.

Yixing jammed the break, Baekhyun got off the car and opened the door to my side and helped Min Jee out of the car. He carried my inebriated best friend again and went inside the house and the three of us followed him.

The party was still on at the house. Very on. If anything, the scene went more louder and wilder. Yixing led us to a quiet and empty guest room and have Min Jee sleep there.

“Hana...” Min Jee mumbled again as she rolled to the bed. “I’m sorry...I’m...” and then she fell asleep again.

“Let’s just leave her for awhile.” I said, amazed by how cold my voice sounded.

I walked out of the room hurriedly, the stink of the alcohol from Min Jee’s clothes and body started to reach my nostrils. I’ve been trying not to breathe inside the car, sitting beside her.

“Hana, did you find her?” Sehun asked, nearly bumping into me.

I merely nodded and then I spotted a seat across the hall and sat there, taking a breath.

“She’s fine.” Jongin informed him, coming out of the guest room along with Baekhyun and Yixing. “And your guess was correct.”

Sehun nodded his head, pleased with himself. “Baekhyun, you smell really horrible!” he noted, scrunching up his nose.

Baekhyun smelled his shirt and didn’t argue. Min Jee’s stink must’ve soiled him as well. “Yeah...”he said, chuckling a little. “I’ll go and wash up.”

I grabbed his hand as he walked past me. “Baekhyun,” I said quietly. “Thanks.”

Baekhyun kindly smiled at me. “It’s nothing.” he said, “Besides, friends look after one another, right?” he patted my shoulder lightly, went down the hall and disappeared inside a room.

I sighed heavily and heard Jongin and Yixing laughing at Sehun.

“By the way,” Yixing said, impishly grinning at Sehun. “How on earth did you know that Min Jee’s in the ladies’ bathroom?”

Jongin grinned at Sehun, who suddenly looked alarmed.

“You know what?” Yixing said, still grinning goofily, “Don’t answer that. We don’t wanna know.” he said and then burst out laughing while Jongin stifled a laugh beside him.

“But I can explain!” Sehun said uneasily, making Jongin and Yixing laugh even more.

I wanted to laugh along with them but I couldn’t. I just realized how much I was upset with Min Jee. And I could still smell the alcohol, it seemed as if it got stuck on my nose and clothes. I stood up from my seat.

“How can I explain if you two won’t stop laughing?!” I heard Sehun saying annoyingly, as I went downstairs to get something to drink.

I went down to the kitchen and roamed the fridge but there was no water. What kind of fridge is this! I went to the living room and found the beverage table. There were still people around the house, no trace of exhaustion on their faces because some of them are still dancing vivaciously on the dance floor. The reek of alcohol hit me hard when I reached a group of guys laughing by the couch—clearly, drunk—making me feel nauseated than ever. I grabbed an empty plastic cup on top of the table and went to the empty dining area.

My throat and lips are dry and I needed to drink something.

Fortunately, there was a huge bowl of cold strawberry punch on the table. For a second,  I was worried that it might be spiked recalling how drunk the guys were by the living room, but I remember Sehun telling me that there’s a separated drink for those who really want to get drunk. Surely, this punch is for those who merely wants to hang around and chat. Plus, the punch looks so yummy and cold, just what I needed. I helped myself with the punch. I downed the contents in one gulp and then I took another one and another one until I finally feel cooled down. I sat on an arm chair and leaned towards the dining table. I wanted to get a nap for a few minutes but I couldn’t. My mind started to run fast—thinking about how long this Friday night had been. I glanced at my wrist watch and nearly fell off my chair when the time says, 11:43 PM.

I stood up, remembering I still need to interview Jongin. I went back upstairs when my surrounding suddenly started spinning slowly. I reached forward and grabbed the railing of the stairs, I closed my eyes for a moment, trying steady myself. Suddenly feeling hot, I started fanning myself with my hand. I need to get that interview! Mi Young will slaughter me! I started to walk again and stopped short when a sudden huge wave of nausea washed over me, I held on to the railing again and clamp my mouth with my hand.

“Hana?”

I willed myself to look ahead and saw Jongin coming towards me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter