Chapter 45

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I wasn’t able to have a decent conversation with Jongin the next day. Jongin had been practicing and catching up with his class after not being at school for the last couple of days. Meanwhile, Mi Young sent me a few revision requests for my articles. On a brighter note, my interview with Daehyun wasn’t included, which means, I wouldn’t have to bother myself with him.

Mi Young paired me up with two of my co-writers to brainstorm and draft the next publication, Nu Hyun and Kang Hee. I’ve known Nu Hyun for quite a long time now, we entered the office on the same year and he’s genuinely friendly and smart. Kang Hee, on the other hand, is a junior and one of our new writers. She’s nice but she can be a perfectionist at times. She’s also nervous around Mi Young so she’s frantic on impressing and doing everything right for her. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with that but sometimes, she can be…annoying. Or maybe I just don’t like know-it-alls.

For the next following days, I’ve been busy doing just that along with Nu Hyun and Kang Hee. Fortunately, Jongin was very understanding and supportive. In fact, he visited me one Friday, after school in the office. He just finished his class and decided to pay me a visit.

“Can I come in?” Jongin asked me as he hover by the door.

I glanced over at Mi Young. “As long as you stay at least 15 meters away from our creative table.” Mi Young said firmly. The creative table, where Nu Hyun, Kang Hee and I were currently working, is where we draft our newspaper and ‘outsiders’ like Jongin aren’t’ allowed to see it. Mi Young gestured for him to come in after Jongin nodded his head with a goofy grin.

I went towards him after a brief moment, and told him that he can just go home and rest but Jongin insisted. I told him to wait for me by my desk. He obeyed and sat there quietly while his ear buds were plugged in, bobbing his head to the music. For next couple of minutes, I focused my attention on working albeit the fact that in the corner of my eyes, I could see Jongin staring at me while I worked. Some of our co-writers started to leave the office, leaving me, Kang Hee, Nu Hyun and Jongin by the office. We finally finished brainstorming and drafting the first part. I glanced over at Jongin who had his head down awhile ago, taking a nap. He blinked his eyes a few times when he noticed me looking.

“Are you done yet?” he asked me as I walked towards my desk.

“Yep.” I said, settling my binder on my desk. “At least for now. I told you you should’ve just went home and rest.”

“I told you I wanted to stay.” Jongin said, mulishly. “Besides, I like watching you work. You look really cute.” he smirked at me.

I merely shook my head and hid my smile as I opened my back pack. Then, I heard Jongin saying good bye to Nu Hyun. I looked up and say good bye to him as well.

“Oh, I’m Kim Jongin.” I heard Jongin saying cordially to someone. I turned to my side and saw Kang Hee who was staring at him as if in awe.

“I know.” Kang Hee said rather distantly. “I mean! H-hi, I’m Kang Hee.” she stuttered. She stared at Jongin’s outstretched hand and then she finally shook it afterwards.

“She’s one of our new writers.” I told Jongin cordially.

Jongin merely nodded and gave Kang Hee a small smile. Kang Hee’s cheeks instantly turned red. She turned around and accidentally knocked over a pile of books on the floor.

“Gosh!” Kang Hee exclaimed from evident embarrassment. She crouched down and started picking up the books. Jongin and I helped her. “Uhm, it’s okay. Thank you.” she told us, looking flustered than ever and deliberately not meeting Jongin’s eyes. “Hana, thanks for helping me. I should, uh, go—” she slung her bag over her shoulder.

“But I thought you said you need my—” I began.

“No, it’s alright.” Kang Hee interjected and chuckled nervously. “I-I can finish it myself…thanks. Uh, I’ll go now. Bye!”

With that, she darted out of the door and left Jongin and I in bewilderment. I’ve never seen her like that before.

“What was that all about?” Jongin asked me, puzzled.

“She’s kind of like your fan.” I chuckled, picking up the book Kang Hee left behind. “I think that’s what they call the ‘Jongin Effect’.” I .

“Really.” Jongin said. He set his dark, elusive eyes on me and grinned. “Have you ever experienced that?” he’s talking in his trademark low, deep voice that effectively sent shivers down my spine but I put on my best straight expression yet.

“Not really.” I lied, staring into his eyes calmly. But the way the corner of his mouth quirk up and his eyes flicker, he knew I was lying but he didn’t say anything.

“I got you this.” he said instead, holding up a small box as he stood up from his seat.

I took it from his hand tentatively and opened it. “What’s this for?” I asked him, tilting my head to the side a little after seeing a cute little cupcake sitting inside the box.

Jongin shrugged. “I’ve been meaning to give you something. I was really harsh on you the other night.” he said a bit timidly. “I’m really sorry.”

“It’s alright. I understand

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter