Chapter 31

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

As much as I don’t want to admit it, I am positive that mom was seeing dad.

Young Soo described the man as exactly as what dad looks like. He said they’ve been seeing dad for a few weeks now, sometimes after mom pick him up at Spines. I started to feel myself fuming so I told him we should eat dinner. Mom arrived a few minutes later, looking cheerful and glowing just like the last few weeks.

Of course, I want to see her happy—I care about her. But this…thing she's having with dad. This is wrong. Just wrong. I was so angry with her that I couldn’t look at her in the eyes when she joined me and Young Soo at dinner.

“Is there something bothering you, dear?” mom asked me as we both clean up the dining area. Young Soo was already up in his bed room.

I was almost glad she noticed me giving her the cold shoulder.

“What’s wrong, sweetie?” she prodded. “Talk to me.”

“Are you seeing dad?” I hissed at her, gripping the plate in my hand.

Mom’s jaw nearly dropped at my question. I already got my answer when she averted her gaze from me.

“Oh my God!” I exclaimed in utter frustration. I knew I shouldn’t because Young Soo’s upstairs but I’ve been teed off since Young Soo spilled everything to me. I turned my back on her and walking towards the kitchen sink.

“Hana, please—”

“How long—” I stopped myself because my voice started to raise. I heaved a breath and continued. “How long have you been seeing him? Mom.” I asked her quietly yet firmly.

“For a few weeks now.” mom said, almost tentatively.

“And you’re not planning to tell me?” I asked her indignantly. I shifted my gaze from her because I just couldn’t stand looking at her right now. I settled the plate on the sink and shook my head in disbelief. This isn’t happening, I thought furiously.

“I can explain, Hana.” mom argued. “Please, hear me out.”

“Fine!” I said, looking back at her and ignoring my shaking hands from rage. “Give it your best shot.”

Mom sighed heavily. “I bumped into him because it turns out that my current boss is somehow acquainted with him and I swear to God I have no idea about that before I applied there.” she added when I fixed her a look. “Then we started to talk, like…about you. He started to ask me about you, how you’re doing—”

“Why am I having a hard time believing that?” I said bitterly.

“He genuinely wanted to know how you’re doing.” mom said to me doggedly. “He knows you’re a smart girl that’s why he’s been keen on sustaining your education.”

I don’t care about his money, I wanted to yell at her but instead, I gripped the side of the sink.

“Are you dating him?” I asked her, looking at her straight in the eyes. “Mom? Are you?”

Mom her lips, her eyes fixed on mine, she’s thinking. “Your dad and his fiancée has been…they’re having problems…”

I closed my eyes, turning away from her again and not anticipating for what’s coming next.

“Your dad needed someone and I was there for him.” mom said almost distantly as though she was talking to herself. Her voice sounded thick, too, and I know she’s near to tears. “And I’m your mother, Hana. You’re just my daughter so you have no say to this!” she added heatedly.

I looked back at her in disbelief. “I have no say to this?!” I repeated, irately and my voice rising. “Are you—”

“No, no, no! Stop talking!” mom cut me off. “And don’t you ever raise your voice at me, young lady!” she’s looking at me wildly, tears running down her cheek. “I will see your dad as much as I want to and you have nothing to say to that!” with that she walked out of the kitchen and I heard her bedroom door slammed shut with a loud thud.

The following morning, mom and I didn’t talk at all. Fortunately, Young Soo didn’t notice a thing. While mom was preparing the breakfast, I went and washed Young Soo in the bathroom.

“Youngie, can I ask you something?” I said, as I dry up his hair back in his bed room. My little brother raised his brows. “Last night, did you really mean it when you said you didn’t like Jongin for me?”

Young Soo pouted for a brief moment, as though, thinking. “I don’t like anyone for you.” he said.

“Why not?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter