Chapter 27

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

I woke up the next day with a smile and a glowing, glowing feeling. I know I’m being foolish but I can’t help but smile like an idiot. I stayed up late last night. I lie awake, replaying the scene at the dance studio for how many times, I don’t know.

I can’t believe that’s just happened, I thought as I beamed at my bedroom’s ceiling and sighed. I touched my lower lip and I can still feel warmth and softness of Jongin’s. I rolled to the side of my bed , my face with my hands and giggle like a kid.

“Gosh, Hana!” I chided myself as I sat up on my bed and stared back at my reflection on the full length mirror just across my bed. “Stop it! You’re being ridiculous!”

I fixed myself a stern look but I just realized how absurd this is and started chuckling.

“Hana?”

I abruptly stopped laughing and turned to the door. “Youngie?”

My little brother was standing by the doorway wearing a bemused expression on his chubby face. “Are you…okay?” he asked.

“Y-yeah…I’m fine.” I said rather sheepishly, tucking a lock of my hair behind my ear. “How long have you been standing there?” I asked, embarrassedly.

“Just now.” Young Soo said, shrugging. “When I came in you’re already giggling.”

“Yeah, I-I was rehearsing for…uh, school play.” I can’t believe I’m explaining to a six year old boy.

“Can I watch?” he smiled, innocently.

I chuckled at his adorable face. I get off my bed and walked towards him. “Maybe.” I said, kneeling down so I can pinch his cheeks. “Where’s mom?” I inquired, changing the subject.

“Downstairs.” Young Soo said, “She asked me to wake you up. I think she’s rehearsing for a play, too, because she’s gigging just like you.”

“She does?” I said, chuckling. “Alright. I’ll just get ready for school and then I’ll go downstairs for breakfast, okay?”

Young Soo nodded and then he left my room.

I got up and sighed. I really need to get my senses back, I thought as I padded across my room to grab my bath towel hanging by a chair. My eyes caught my digital clock by the night stand and gasped. I’m going to be late for school!

I spent the next couple of minutes hurriedly getting ready for school. I looked at the mirror and I still haven’t brushed my hair yet. I grabbed my back pack and went downstairs as I brush my hair.

“Hana,” mom said as soon as I entered our kitchen. She was just helping Young Soo on his breakfast. “You woke up late, sweetie.”

“I know.” I said, annoyed with myself. I grabbed a piece of toast and stuffed it inside my mouth and chew it really fast.

“I was trying to wake you up but you sleep like a dead person.” mom mused as she watched me gulp on a glass of milk from the dining table. “And I remember you coming home last night on time, so—”

“I was just stressed out.” I lied to her. “I better get going.” I said, giving her and Young Soo a peck on the cheek.

“Hana!” mom called out as I ran towards the door. “Just take a cab.” she said, extending her arm at me and handed me money. “At this rate of hour if you take the bus, you’ll certainly be late for school.”

I genuinely smiled at mom and took the money from her hand. “Thanks, mom.”

She smiled back at me and then I wheeled around and left the house.

 

Fortunately, I went with mom’s idea of getting a cab, otherwise, I’ll be extremely late. I only have a few minutes before the school gate closed. One of the teachers was already positioning himself by the gate—the ones who tick off late students and have them go clean hallways if they’re late thrice in a row. The second I stepped inside the gate, the bell for the first period rang the school.

I whipped my head to the teacher standing in front of me. “I’m not late, sir.” I said, with a bit of luck. “I’m already inside the school when the bell rang.”

Mr. Kwon, the teacher, glanced down at his wrist watch and then he looked back at me. He merely pursed his lips and then he gestured for me to get going.

I grinned at him and ran inside the school. After a moment, I heard Mr. Kwon’s booming voice behind me and I assumed there will be students cleaning the corridors later. Speaking of corridors, most of them were now a bit empty. There were a few students clamoring to get to their classes, including me. I hurriedly climbed up the stairs and walked briskly towards my homeroom.

As I approached the room, I could hear my teacher’s distant voice behind the door, doing the roll call of names. Panting, I stopped in front of the door and took a deep breath and then I turned the knob.

“—Cho Hana.” my teacher was saying as I walked inside the room.

“Here!” I piped, standing by the doorway. As expected, everyone’s attention was on me. “Am I late?” I asked my teacher tentatively.

“Just about.” she said, pursing her lips at me. “Please take your seat.” she gestured for me to come in and then she continued calling out my classmates’ names as I walked towards my chair.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter