Chapter 13

Never Let Me Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The bus finally arrived and cell phone buzzed again inside my skirt’s pocket, jerking me from my thoughts. That and someone bumped my shoulder. It was one of those girls who seemed to be into Jongin so I assumed she did that on purpose. I checked my phone as soon as I settled myself on the back of the bus, ignoring the death glare being shot at me by the girl’s companions who were sitting just a few seats away from me.

Apparently, I missed two calls from my Aunt. I sent her a message to tell her I’m on my way to the Spines. A few minutes later, I was walking towards the book shop but when I got there, Ha Joon told me that my Aunt and little brother left an hour ago. My heart leapt to my throat. If my Aunt found my mom was at home at this rate of hour, there’s going to be a riot for sure. Especially, if she found my mom drunk.

I was correct. Well, except the part that mom was drunk because she wasn’t. But Aunt Sora and mom were definitely arguing. I was just outside out front door when I heard their yelling voices. Aunt Sora was yelling at my mom who was sitting on the couch. She was glaring at the window, clearly avoiding her sister’s eyes. Aunt Sora was chastising mom again about dad, that he’ll never come back, that he’s no good. I agree with her on that. But what I don’t like is her yelling at my mom.

Aunt Sora stopped when she noticed me hovering by the door. That’s when she vent out her frustrations at me. Asking me where I’ve been, why I wasn’t picking up her calls. I let her scold me, it’s better to be than mom. But it seemed like mom couldn’t handle it as well because she stood up from the couch and walked towards me. She told me to go upstairs and washed up.

“They’re coming with me.” Aunt Sora said. She wasn’t yelling anymore but she’s definitely stern. “Find a job. Because if you don’t, I’ll take them.”

Mom turned to look at her sister. “You wouldn—”

“Oh, I would!” Aunt Sora argued. “Look at you! You have no job, you keep getting fired. You can’t take care of them.” She paused and there was silence. I could hear my heart hammering against my chest. “This is the last time.” Aunt Sora continued. “Find a job and keep it. If you don’t, I’ll take your kids for good.” she turned around and grabbed her purse on the couch and then she looked at my mom again. “And you know I can.”

A drop of tear rolled down my mom’s cheek as soon as her sister left. “She’s right.” she said, turning to look at me. “You’re Aunt’s right.”

“Are you going to let her take us?” I asked her, my voice was hoarse.

“No…” mom said, shaking her head and then she pulled me into a hug. “I’m so sorry, honey.” she said to my ear as I hugged her back. “I’m so sorry.”

I shushed her and smooth down her back. “It’s going to be okay.” I murmured. “We’ll get through this. All of us.”

“You know,” mom said, pulling back from me. She gazed at me and tuck a lock of my hair behind my ear. “You’ve always been like Sora.” She said, smiling sadly. “Strong, smart…always had the courage and spirit to do anything…”

“Mom, stop.” I said, gently flicking off her hair off her shoulder. “ Let’s not talk about that.”

“I’ll find a job, Hana.” she told me seriously. “I’ll find a job and I’ll keep it. I can’t lose you and Young Soo, too.”

“No.” I said, “You won’t.”

Mom hugged me once again and then she said she’ll prepare our dinner. I went upstairs and wondered where my little brother was. Wondered if he did what I instructed him to do when Aunt Sora and mom would argue, to plug in his earbuds and listen to his favorite song. And he did. He was sitting on his study table, a book on his nose but his expression was taut. I crouched beside his chair and looked up at him.

“Are they finished?” he asked me quietly, taking off his earplugs. “I think it’s my fault.”

“What?”

“My fault.” He repeated, looking at me ruefully. “This afternoon, when I told Aunt Sora that mom di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter