Chapter 10

Red Riding Hood Society

 

In a matter of 3 days, Baekhyun learned how to block his thoughts.  There are still a few problems though like his mental defense not really being that much strong, so for an experienced guy like Chanyeol, it's easy to break into Baekhyun's defense.  Another problem is Baekhyun can't send his thoughts to just one person.  When he tries to send it to Chanyeol, he ends up lowering his mental defense which makes Kris able to hear Baekhyun's thoughts that were supposed to be only meant for Chanyeol.
 
 
"Don't expect too much from me.  It has only been three days while you guys have been doing this for years."  Baekhyun pouted as he could feel Kris poking into his mind again.
 
 
"At least you learned the important thing which is defense." Kris commented as he withdrew from Baekhyun's mind.  "As long as you don't accidentally spill your thoughts for werewolves to here and as long as werewolves don't know about your telepathic capabilities for werewolves, then you should be pretty safe."
 
 
"Don't forget to never lower your mental defense,"  Chanyeol added.
 
 
"B-but... it's tiring!  It's way even more tiring than fighting.  My head feels heavy.  Sometimes, I think it might even fall off of my body and just roll down the floor.  Morbid, I know."  Baekhyun fell to the side from his sitting position on the couch.  His mental defense also went down with him which earned him a slap on the from Chanyeol.
 
 
"I meant it when I said never to lower your mental defense."  Chanyeol said seriously.
 
 
Baekhyun wondered how Chanyeol could have such a serious expression despite the fact he just slapped his .  He blushed, pouted, sat up, and created his mental defense with a sigh.
 
 
Kris simply patted on Baekhyun's shoulder encouragingly.  "You'll get used to it and when you do, your head won't feel heavy anymore.  It'll become just another part of you."
 
 
"Can werewolves really not hear human thoughts?"  Baekhyun asked out of curiosity.
 
 
In which, Chanyeol has an answer to that question based on experience.  "Depends if the human has telepathic powers or if we happened to mate with a human, but most of the time, even if we have the capability of entering a human's mind, we can't really understand their thoughts.  It's like spoken in another language or a puzzle that can't be solved."
 
 
"Mate..."  Baekhyun repeated the word before turning his attention to Kris.  "Did you enter my father's mind?"
 
 
"When you make a mental connection with someone, it becomes two-way, so I never did that to him.  That would completely give away my identity as a werewolf.  Even on the day we broke up, I was tempted to enter his mind to find out about his feelings for me if he had any, but I respect him and have betrayed him so much already.  I couldn't bring myself to do that."  Kris left the living room by walking into the kitchen, obviously wanting to end their conversation.
 
 
"I think you shouldn't mention anything about your father around Kris for a while."  Chanyeol said before following Kris to the kitchen.
 
 
Baekhyun felt like a bad guy and perhaps a little jealous that Chanyeol was siding with Kris.  He probably went to the kitchen to comfort Kris.
 
 
I was simply thirsty.  I'm just getting a glass of water.  Work on your mental defense.  Chanyeol scolded Baekhyun in his head.
 
 
Baekhyun blushed in embarassment and placed what he hoped a stronger wall in his mind.
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
In a span of 3 days, Kai was allowed outside of his room without chains.  A lot of the Red Riding Hood Society members didn't like this, but Kai was well behaved and hadn't caused any harm yet, so they aren't going to complain or argue with Suho's decision yet.  Also, Kyungsoo was assigned to be Kai's bodyguard.
 
 
Kyungsoo slammed his hands on Suho's desk.  "The heck?! I'm a healer, not a fighter!!!  Being his bodyguard would mean that I would have to be on his side for most of the day.  How am I supposed to do my healer duties?!" 
 
 
"Kyungsoo, I and the other older members of this society knew you began as a fighter and how you were as a fighter.  I'm pretty sure you could take on Kai.  You probably have more chance in winning a fight against him considering your huge amount of hatred towards werewolves."  Suho explained calmly.
 
 
Kyungsoo tensed as his past as a figher was being brought up.  It was a part of his dark past and he was pretty sure that none of those who had witnessed it  would want to see Kyungsoo back to his old self, but why was Suho letting him be at risk at becoming into his old self again?  
 
 
"I know what your thinking."  Kyungsoo flinched as Suho's voice stopped his train of thoughts.  "It's just that I believe Kai is nice, well behaved, and cooperative enough that you won't be at any risk of returning to your old self if that's what you're worried about.  I also believe that Kai might be able to lessen your hatred towards werewolf.  He has that kind of effect towards me and I'm pretty sure he gave that kind of effect to you too though I'm pretty sure you won't admit that to me.  If we release him, I'm sure the other members will come to like him as well."
 
 
"Wouldn't that be dangerous? What if in the end he will betray us?!  What if he's just like Kris?!"  Kyungsoo argued.
 
 
There was a brief flash of hurt in Suho's eyes when Kris' name was mentioned, but he was back to being calm again after that.  "I don't have any feelings for Kai, so I believe I am judging him with a clear mind.  I know I can trust him and I know he won't betray us.  Most of all, I know he won't betray you.  He owes his life to you after all."
 
 
Kyungsoo remembered how Kai said something like that to him a few days ago, but he couldn't let go of how Suho implied that fact that he had feelings for Kris.  "What about your feelings for Kris? Do you still have them?"
 
 
"It has only been a few days.  Of course, I still have them."  Suho admitted.  "But I'm also thinking of moving on, so if there's anyone who would confess to me, I'd probably give them a chance."
 
 
Kyungsoo knew that Suho was actually referring to him.  He had a great opportunity to confess to Suho right here, right now.  Perhaps if he hadn't heard Suho and Kai's conversation about how Suho doesn't trust Kyungsoo with Baekhyun's identity, he wouldn't be hesitating on jumping on the chance to be with Suho.
 
 
Instead, he walked out of Suho's office saying, "I'll be Kai's bodyguard," abruptly.
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
"Do you want to know something funny?"  Kai asked during lunch.  They were having late lunch in the headquarter's dining area since Kai was free from chains and was allowed out of his room.  However, they decided to have a late lunch since most members aren't comfortable with the werewolf's presence yet.
 
 
Kyungsoo simply raised an eyebrow and stayed silent.  He hadn't laughed at any of Kai's jokes so far.  It was too corny and some of them were corny pickup lines as well.  Though he'll never admit it to anybody that he enjoyed Kai's cheesy way of flirting with him.
 
 
"My mom is a German...." 
 
 
Kyungsoo waited for the joke to come.
 
 
"....sphered."
 
 
Kyungsoo was torn between laughing or scolding Kai for saying something like that about his mom, but he caught the serious expression on Kai's face.  "Was that the joke? Is that it?"
 
 
"My breed is considered the lowest and dirtiest in our kind.  Having a werewolf mixed with human blood or mixed with a pure wolf blood is considered better than having a werewolf mixed with dog blood.  They talk behind you and say what could his father be thinking ing with a or what could his mother be thinking letting a hound her, depends which one of your parents is a werewolf or a dog.  Isn't it funny how I was born between a werewolf and a dog?"  The smile on Kai's face looked bitter.
  
 
Kyungsoo's eyes widened after hearing about Kai's identity.  He didn't know about this fact and he was pretty sure the other members didn't know about it too.  "A werewolf and a dog is possible? Also with a pure wolf?"
 
 
"Yes, but it doesn't happen very often."  Kai explained how he was born as a wolf puppy, how he transformed into a human child though he has no idea what his age probably was, how he recognized his mother but couldn't understand her, how he had only hazy memories while he was in his puppy form, how he doesn't know who his father is, and how he had killed people simply out of animal instincts until he met a man named Xiumin.
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
"Achoo! Someone must be talking about me."  Xiumin said as he rubbed his nose.
 
 
"In case you didn't notice, we're in a ruined facility where there's a lot of dust and who knows what other allergens there might be."  His companion pointed out.  He was wearing a hat and a long coat to cover his wolf ears and tail."
 
 
"Right,"  Xiumin simply agreed with his werewolf companion and returned to focusing on the task they were doing.
 
 
End of chapter 10
 
A/N:  The last time I updated this fic was December 3, 2012, and I kept promising to update next week and then.... the New Year came @_@ so I made it my New Year's resolution to update this fic.  I have no other resolutions other than that XD I'm glad I was able to fulfill it.  This chapter is the first fanfic I've written for this year ^^
 
To all those subscribed, please upvote this fic.  Please <3  Comment if you can~ It'll inspire me <3