The Repression

All I Care About

Honestly, Luhan can't believe any of this is actually happening – one minute he's feeling down about his date with Sehun, the next, he's stepping into Kwon Min Kye's private studio, which is quite possibly the most awe-inspiring place he's ever been in.

 

The whole room was massive with a floor to ceiling window that overlooked Cheongdam, a wealthy part of Seoul. There was this intimidating yet breathtaking crystal chandelier that resembled stalactites located in the center of room. The walls were painted black and white in an assortment of patterns, all different according to various sections of the studio. Luhan and Jinho were currently standing near the entrance of the studio, where the walls were painted in a checkered pattern. The furniture followed the same scheme – black, white or a mixture of both. In certain parts of the studio, Luhan could see life-size photos of some of Kwon Min Kye's greatest works hanging against the wall, all of which demanded immediate attention. And Luhan would have rushed over to admire the photos if it weren't for the fact that he's so embarrassingly nervous, he can't even move – the fear of accidentally breaking something was a tad bit overwhelming.

 

The female secretary that had let them in cleared . “Please make yourself comfortable. Mr. Kwon is currently finishing up some business matters. He'll join you when he's done.”

 

When the lady left, Luhan whirled around to face Jinho. “We're meeting him!?”

 

Jinho smiled. “Who better to give a tour of the studio than the owner himself?”

 

Rendered speechless, Luhan simply stared at Jinho with his mouth slightly open. Is this even real? He's not really going to meet the famed photographer is he? Can't be possible. How can he –

 

Hyung, this is real. You're really going to meet him,” Jinho said, grinning as he lifted his hand to brush the underside of Luhan's chin. “Might want to close your mouth now or you'll be stuck like that when he actually gets here.”

 

Luhan quickly pursed his lips, which caused Jinho to laugh. “Cute,” Jinho coughed. He smiled when Luhan scowled at him. “Just stating the truth,” he said with shrug.

 

Luhan's eyes followed Jinho as the younger one walked further into the studio as if he's not afraid of possibly upsetting the owner by entering without any sort of accompaniment. Luhan was about to demand that Jinho get back to where he was when the door behind him opened and in walked the man he's only seen in magazines and documentaries.

 

Hello there,” the man greeted along with a charming smile. The man was slightly chubby and looks to be in his early fifties, but Luhan knew that he was turning sixty-five later this year.

 

H-Hello,” Luhan stuttered, immediately bowing to the man. He could already feel his palms getting clammy from just being in the presence of the man. How was he going to last the entire time?

 

Uncle Min! Nice to see you're still healthy and looking younger than ever,” Jinho said when he came up behind Luhan.

 

Uncle Min??

 

Luhan shot Jinho a surprised look, silently questioning him as to why he was calling the famous photographer uncle. Jinho simply smiled at Luhan before he turned his attention to the man, who was quietly observing the pair.

 

Ah Jinnie,” Min Kye said before he pulled Jinho in for a hug. “Haven't seen you in years. How is everything?”

 

Fantastic.” Jinho turned to where Luhan was standing, completely speechless, and tugged him over. “This is my friend Luhan.”

 

Luhan immediately bowed again and introduced himself, even though it wasn't necessary now that Jinho did the introductions. But the old photographer didn't mind because he chuckled and gave Luhan a small pat.

 

Nice to meet you, Luhan.”

 

Oh my God. Kwon Min Kye just gave me a pat on the back! He even said my name!!

 

Luhan hyung was actually supposed to see you yesterday at the art exhibit, but he couldn't, so I thought it would be nice to bring him here,” Jinho explained. He glanced at Luhan and added in an amused tone,“As you can see from his awestruck face, he's one of your biggest fan.”

 

Min Kye chuckled once again and said, “I can see that.”

 

Luhan's eyes widened because Kwon Min Kye just laughed at me! And he can see my awestruck face!!

 

In case you're still wondering, Uncle Min and I are not related,” Jinho said. “He's an old friend of my dad. They were high school and college buddies.”

 

O-Oh,” Luhan mumbled, still trying to adjust to being in the presence of the man standing two feet away.

 

Min Kye and Jinho both laughed at Luhan's response, and this would have probably been embarrassing if Luhan wasn't so out of it.

 

Shall I start the tour?” Min Kye asked, eyeing Luhan with interest.

 

Are you ready hyung?” Jinho asked, his hand reaching out for Luhan's. He gave it a little squeeze, and suddenly Luhan realized that he had been standing there dumbfounded, which wasn't what he planned to do during his only chance to visit the studio, so he quickly snapped out of it and let out an enthusiastic “Yes!”

 

******

Baekhyun and Chanyeol were sitting on Sehun's bed with their eyes focused on the maknae who was currently sitting at his desk, trying to do his homework. Trying.

 

Being a skilled observer, Baekhyun could tell that Sehun was having a hard time with everything – his homework (which he most likely couldn't care less for) and the Luhan situation.

 

Are you okay maknae?” Chanyeol asked apprehensively, and Baekhyun completely understood why – a silent Sehun was a dangerous Sehun.

 

As expected, Sehun didn't say anything. Baekhyun and Chanyeol exchanged nervous glances.

 

You don't have to keep it all bottled up. Talk to us,” Baekhyun said in a gentle voice that sounded almost foreign to him simply because he's not used to talking to Sehun in such a tone.

 

Sehun sighed. “I'm fine,” he said, not bothering to turn around.

 

Baekhyun resisted the urge to snort because it was painfully obvious to both him and Chanyeol that Sehun wasn't fine.

 

But they both knew better than to push Sehun to do something he doesn't want.

 

The fact that he had allowed the two of them to stay in his room was, quite frankly, a miracle.

 

But when Baekhyun saw how unresponsive Sehun was, he realized that the younger boy probably only let them be in his company because he was too absorbed in bottling up his emotions to care. Sehun not kicking them off his bed was also a dead giveaway.

 

Knock knock

 

Hey Sehun,” Suho greeted as he opened the door. Lay was standing behind him, smiling. They were both dressed to go out.

 

Thanks for the tickets,” Lay said.

 

Sehun turned around in his chair, his eyebrows scrunched up in confusion.

 

Baekhyun cleared his throat, and Chanyeol started fidgeting where he sat. It didn't take long for Sehun to realize what the couple did.

 

You're welcome hyung. Have fun,” Sehun said halfheartedly.

 

We will,” Suho said before closing the door.

 

And Baekhyun immediately began explaining. “We couldn't let your money go to waste, so after you stormed away, we fished out the tickets from the trash bin. We figured we should give Suho and Lay the tickets because well, they need to get out more. Those two are always dating in boring places like the library or the --”

 

Hyung, that's enough. It's fine. It was stupid of me to throw it away, so I'm glad you gave it to Suho and Lay hyung. At least someone in this household can go...”

 

The bitterness with which he said that last statement didn't go unnoticed by Baekhyun.

 

Sehun, why didn't you just tell Luhan hyung about the tickets?” Baekhyun asked, no longer able to accept seeing Sehun like that.

 

Sehun turned back around and made it so that he looked like he was working. Baekhyun knew that he only did so to avoid looking them in the eye.

 

For as long as Baekhyun knew Sehun, the younger boy was never good at expressing his emotions. It was only until Luhan came in that Sehun started opening up more. And to see him back to where he was, closed off and distant, Baekhyun knew that he was really affected by this. As a hyung, Baekhyun felt the need to get to the bottom of this.

 

Sehun?” Chanyeol called out after seconds past and the maknae still haven't said anything.

 

Sehun took a deep breath before he answered, “Because it doesn't matter.”

 

Why not?”

 

He was already on his way. There wasn't anything I can say to make him turn around. Besides, you didn't hear how happy he sounded.”

 

Baekhyun frowned. “But I'm sure he would have been happier if he knew you went through all of that trouble to get the tickets. And Luhan hyung wants to go with you remember?”

 

Yeah well he's not with me.”

 

But he will be, Sehun. He'll be home soon, then you two can be together and you can just tell him how you feel about the whole situation --”

 

There's nothing to say,” Sehun deadpanned.

 

There is,” Chanyeol said. “You're obviously not happy about Luhan hyung going with Jinho to that place. Instead of being cold about it, just talk it out with him when he gets back.”

 

Then you two can charge each other and everything will be back to normal,” Baekhyun playfully added, hoping to lighten the mood.

 

Sehun doesn't say anything after that.

 

Chanyeol gave Baekhyun a worried look – a look Baekhyun returned.

 

This can't be good.

 

******

More than an hour after the personal tour, Luhan feels as though everything was surreal. Min Kye has not only showed him around the studio, he also gave Luhan a glimpse of what he was currently working on – his work in progress. Photos the world have yet to see. And here he is showing them to Luhan.

 

Luhan almost freaked when Min Kye handed him his personal camera to browse through the photos, but he reminded himself that he shouldn't give Jinho anymore reasons to , something the younger one had been doing throughout their personal tour. But as he was looking through the shots that Min Kye had recently taken during his trips to exotic places, Luhan realized that staying calm and collected was easier said than done. In fact, at one point, his hands started trembling and Jinho had to take the camera away from him for a second in case he dropped it. That would have been disastrous.

 

You really are starstruck hyung,” Jinho remarked with a grin as soon as Min Kye left them for a second to answer an important phone call.

 

I can't help it! He's Kwon Min Kye and I'm holding his camera for goodness' sake!”

 

Jinho chuckled. “So I'm guessing you're having fun?”

 

Luhan rolled his eyes. “Fun doesn't even begin to cover it.”

 

That's good to hear.”

 

Hey boys,” Min Kye called out when he returned. “Would you like to join me and my team for dinner?”

 

Luhan's eyes widened. D-Dinner? With Kwon Min –

 

We would love to,” Jinho replied.

 

Uhh..Y-ye-yes,” Luhan stuttered, automatically hating himself for sounding so stupid.

 

Min Kye smiled and led them out of the studio. Walking behind the photographer, Jinho leaned over to whisper in Luhan's ear, “Very smooth hyung.”

 

Shut up,” Luhan whispered back.

 

Jinho grinned. “Y-ye-yes,” he said, mimicking Luhan.

 

Luhan smacked him in the arm in hopes of silencing the younger one, but that proved useless. While they were driving behind Min Kye's car, Jinho kept on laughing about Luhan's awkward behavior, but Luhan didn't find it amusing at all.

 

Don't tease me,” Luhan warned, though he could tell from the way Jinho smiled that he's not going to be taken seriously.

 

I can't help it. It's fun teasing you,” Jinho replied.

 

Yeah, so I've heard,” Luhan muttered.

 

He has a boyfriend whose idea of a fun activity is to .

 

Speaking of Sehun, Luhan decided that he should call him – to tell him that he was going to have dinner with Min Kye instead and maybe ask him if he already ate.

 

Taking out his phone, Luhan pressed number one on the speed dial. He waited.

 

Several rings later and Sehun hasn't picked up, Luhan hung up and tried again. Three tries later, and he still wasn't able to get through to Sehun. Why isn't he answering?

 

What's wrong? Is Sehun not picking up?” Jinho asked after he noticed the concern in Luhan's eyes.

 

Yeah....I wonder why...”

 

Maybe he's in the shower?”

 

Maybe....I'll leave him a text message then.”

 

Sehun-ah, why aren't you answering? Is everything fine? I hope it is. Btw I won't be back for dinner – I'm going to eat with Mr. Kwon and Jinho! :D Please text me back when you get this.

 

******

Is Luhan hyung not eating dinner with us?” Tao asked after he noticed the empty seat next to Sehun.

 

No,” Baekhyun answered, his eyes trained on Sehun, who didn't even look up from his plate at the mention of Luhan.

 

This is bad. Really bad.

 

From experience, Baekhyun knows that Sehun goes through three phases whenever he's upset. The first phase consist of him internalizing his initial response, be it shock, confusion, hurt, or anger. It's when he refuses to talk about it – to admit that there is a problem. Instead, he takes it in and sadly, finds himself alone and unprepared to deal with the consequences of feeling a certain way. That was earlier this afternoon.

 

And right now, he is currently at phase two – the “emotions are useless, so I'm going to act like they don't exist” phase. Most of the time this phase involves Sehun suppressing anything that could trigger a reaction from him, anything that could unleash his pent up feelings. He's stoic and doesn't say much, but it's not exactly him giving people the silent treatment. No, it's more hurtful – he acknowledges you, but he doesn't look at you the same. He's talking to you, but he's not communicating. His eyes are staring right at you, but you don't see your reflection – instead, you see his struggle to get past the pain of what looking at you does to him.

 

And that is what makes phase two so difficult for Sehun and the person involved.

 

A large part of Baekhyun worries about Luhan and how he has to face the current Sehun. He's aware that they've been in arguments before, but he doubts the older boy has ever witnessed Sehun's second phase. And a small part of him had a feeling that since this involves Luhan, Sehun's behavior might not follow the usual protocol. Since Luhan is his boyfriend, whom he spends every day with, Sehun may be forced to be more vocal about his frustration. Baekhyun's not sure if it'll be the result of Luhan's persistent need to know what's wrong or Sehun's inability to keep things from Luhan. But he does know that there is a gray area as to how exactly Sehun would approach this.

 

Baekhyun prays that they'll work it out, but he's not going to hope for that to take place immediately. He knows better.

 

Where is Luhan hyung?” Chen asked, directing his question at Sehun.

 

But Sehun, who has been idly picking at his food, doesn't hear him.

 

Sehu--”

 

So what's everybody's plans for spring break?” Baekhyun interrupted, hoping to steer the conversation away from the topic of a missing Luhan. Sehun's not paying attention anyway.

 

While the boys started discussing what they wanted to do, Chanyeol leaned over and whispered, “Is Luhan hyung really not coming home for dinner?”

 

Baekhyun shook his head.

 

Did Luhan hyung leave a message or tell him where he is?” Chanyeol gestured toward the maknae across from them with his eyes.

 

I don't think he's picked up his phone since we got home.”

 

Chanyeol bit his bottom lip. “That's not good.”

 

I know,” Baekhyun whispered sadly.

 

They watched as Sehun picked up his glass of water and took a sip. It all seems so mechanical.

 

After dinner, the boys decided to watch a movie. Sehun was sitting on the floor and though Baekhyun could see that he's watching the movie, he knew that Sehun's mind was off thinking about where Luhan was. He was probably trying to decide on whether he should check his phone or not. It was a matter of which was more important – knowing Luhan's whereabouts or suppressing the irritation he feels at Luhan not being where he's supposed to be, which is next to him.

 

Baekhyun frowned when Sehun didn't move from his spot throughout the movie.

 

It was clear which matter was more important to Sehun at the moment.

 

And through all of this, Baekhyun wondered if Jinho has even the slightest idea of how Sehun could be feeling. Did he not think about Sehun when he took Luhan away? Did he not, even for a second, ponder over the idea that Sehun was going to try and make it up to Luhan? Or maybe he did, but decided that he rather beat Sehun to it. Was that it?

 

If it was, Baekhyun really needs to teach that boy a lesson or two.

 

Why do you look like that?” Chanyeol asked when it was just the two of them in the kitchen. The other boys had gone to their room and Sehun was cleaning up in the living room (he lost in “Paper, scissors, rock”).

 

Like what?”

 

Like you're ready to murder.”

 

If the target shows up, then yeah, I'd say that makes sense.”

 

By target you mean Jin--”

 

Ding dong.

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol exchanged nervous glances before they rushed out of the kitchen to find Sehun already at the door.

 

******

After dinner, Luhan and Jinho bid goodbye to Min Kye and headed on home, but not before Luhan promise to visit the photographer's studio again. When they got in the car and Luhan immediately thanked Jinho.

 

For what?”

 

For everything. I had a great time.” Luhan smiled.

 

Anytime hyung.”

 

It was only when they left the parking lot of the restaurant did Luhan glance at the digital clock on the dashboard and oh no, it's really late!

 

Something wrong?” Jinho asked, tearing his eyes away from the road to look at Luhan, who probably looked worried – which he was.

 

It's really late. Dinner took longer than I expected...”

 

Yeah..” Jinho turned his attention back to the road. “I'm sure Sehun would understand. Did he text you back?”

 

Luhan frowned. “No. He didn't.”

 

If Luhan was to be honest, even as he was eating with Kwon Min Kye, Luhan was hoping that he would feel his phone vibrate in his pockets indicating a text from Sehun. A sign that Sehun read his message and knows where he is. But he didn't get it and Luhan was starting to worry.

 

Did something really happen at home?

 

Jinho, can you drive faster?” Luhan asked as he took out his phone and began calling Sehun.

 

Okay hyung.”

 

When they entered the neighborhood, and Luhan still hasn't gotten Sehun on the other line, he began to panic.

 

You don't have to walk me to the door,” Luhan said when he stepped out of the car and noticed that Jinho did the same thing.

 

I don't want Sehun to think that I just dropped you off. Besides, it's my fault you're getting home so late.”

 

They finally got to the door and Luhan rang the doorbell because his keys were in his backpack and he doesn't have the patience to look for it. He really wanted to see Sehun because now that he thought about it, Luhan realized that he hasn't seen Sehun all day today.

 

He misses him.

 

The door opened to reveal Sehun and Luhan exhaled. Phew. He's okay.

 

When Luhan smiled at Sehun and the other didn't smile back, Luhan decided that maybe he thought too soon.

 

Sehun-ah?”

 

You're finally home,” Sehun said, his voice stiff.

 

Yeah. Sorry that we're just now getting back,” Jinho apologized. “We got a bit carried away during dinner and well – ”

 

Oh my God! He's here!?” Baekhyun's voice could be heard from near the kitchen. Luhan looked past Sehun's shoulder and spotted Baekhyun storming towards them – his face in disbelief.

 

You really are bold,” Baekhyun snarled.

 

Luhan froze. Was Baekhyun talking to him?

 

He immediately looked back at Sehun to get a confirmation from his boyfriend that Baekhyun was in fact talking to him, but Sehun had his eyes only on Jinho. His gaze so intense, Luhan could feel the tension seeping through the air. What's going on??

 

Luhan turned his attention back to Baekhyun, who was seething before Chanyeol appeared next him. Luhan noticed the tight grip Chanyeol had on Baekhyun's hand. It was almost as if he was trying to restrain the smaller boy.

 

Luhan felt his heart racing at the sight because he's never seen Baekhyun angry. And the thought that Baekhyun was angry at him was even more devastating.

 

I think I should go,” Jinho said quietly. Baekhyun huffed and turned his face the other way.

 

Yeah,” Sehun said curtly.

 

After Jinho left, Luhan slowly stepped inside, his eyes on Baekhyun who was now exhaling and inhaling like he was trying to calm himself.

 

He knew something was awfully wrong when after a few seconds of Chanyeol whispering something in Baekhyun's ear, the pair quietly left the hallway.

 

Is everything okay?” Luhan asked, still looking towards the direction at which Baekhyun and Chanyeol has disappeared to.

 

You had dinner?” Sehun asked in a voice that took Luhan by surprise.

 

Sehun sounded different. Alarmingly different.

 

Y-yes. I did,” Luhan replied, slightly stuttering as he gazed into Sehun's eyes.

 

He didn't see anything in those gorgeous brown eyes. They were void of any emotion. And that frightened Luhan.

 

Sehun-ah.”

 

Luhan took a step forward, but he stopped when Sehun suddenly stepped back and turned the other way.

 

S-Sehun?

 

How was it?” Sehun asked as he started walking towards the living room.

 

Luhan stumbled behind him, his heart racing faster. “It was fine. I'm sorry I'm late, but didn't you get my text message?”

 

I didn't.”

 

Why didn't you answer your phone?”

 

You called?”

 

Yes. I did. A lot.”

 

Without another word, Sehun walked past the large couch and started making his way up the steps.

 

Bewildered by Sehun's behavior towards him, Luhan stopped at the foot of the stairs. His eyes following the back of his boyfriend who was continuing up the stairs like nothing was wrong when it clearly was.

 

Sehun-ah, are you mad?” Luhan asked. He suddenly felt terrified of the answer as soon as the words escaped his mouth.

 

Sehun stopped.

 

Do you want an honest answer?” Sehun asked, his back still facing Luhan.

 

Luhan swallowed before he responded. “I do.”

 

It's pointless though because judging from how Sehun was acting, he already had his answer. But regardless, here he was, waiting for his boyfriend's answer – any confirmation.

 

It felt like an eternity before Sehun took a deep breath and slowly turned around, his face expressionless.

 

When their eyes met, Luhan felt his heart stop.

 

Just from looking into Sehun's eyes, he received the answer before Sehun could even utter the words.

 

Yes, Luhan, I am.”

 

Before Luhan could open his mouth to respond, Sehun turned around and walked away.

 

Luhan doesn't move for quite some time after that. Too stunned with what happened.

 

He got the confirmation he was seeking.

 

Sehun gave him the honest answer he wanted, but from the way Sehun looked at him, Luhan could tell that it wasn't the whole story.

 

Everything about Sehun a moment ago seemed restrained.

 

Like he was holding back how he really felt.

 

But why?

 

Why couldn't he just tell Luhan what was really wrong?

 

Was he holding back for Luhan's sake?

 

Honestly, Luhan would rather have Sehun hurt him openly with the truth than to have Sehun suppress the problem and keep it all to himself.

 

No. Luhan can't let that happen. He won't.

 

So with that in mind, Luhan made his way upstairs and headed towards their room, ready to talk it out with Sehun.

 

Sadly for him, Sehun wasn't ready because he's trapped in phase two.

 

The repression phase.

 

 

 

~~~~~~ And so the angst begins! Lol. This was more a filler chapter (hence the reason why it's shorter than most of my other chapters). The next one will be worse in terms of drama. Probably not what you want to hear, but I'm just warning you.

 

What I  liked about the chapter was Baekhyun's perspective. How he describes  Sehun's 3 phases (more like 2 because the 3rd has yet to occur) was pretty interesting. You can see that Baekyeol does care a lot about their maknae - it's so sweet! And no, Baekhyun wasn't mad at Luhan - he was talking about Jinho, but since Luhan was standing next to Jinho, he misunderstood. I'm sure all of you are like "UGHHHHHHH JINHO GO AWAY!" Lol. He really didn't have to walk Luhan to the door. Smh. Jinho, you really are bold. If Chanyeol wasn't holding Baekhyun back, you would be dead. 

 

Thanks for reading! And the next chapter won't take as long, I promise! Btw I love that picture of Sehun - the look in his eyes, his face, his everything. ASDFGJHLJ.  It's perfect ♥