The Promises

All I Care About

Everything stopped for Sehun.

Luhan hyung, I'm in love with you.

 

I'm in love with you.

 

The words kept repeating, and Sehun couldn't make sense of it, or was he struggling to accept it?

 

But what he does know was that Jinho had definitely said those words.

 

Sehun had indeed just witnessed his best friend's love confession.

 

The love confession directed towards his boyfriend.

 

From where he was standing, rooted to his spot, Sehun could see Jinho struggling to stay on his feet. His eyes b with tears. His face a mixture of pain and relief.

 

Sehun felt something tugging his chest at the sight of his best friend falling apart.

 

But he did his best to ignore it.

 

He couldn't possibly be sad for Jinho. The circumstances simply did not allow it.

 

J-Jinho,” Sehun croaked, voice weak as if he hadn't spoken in a very long time.

 

But Jinho appeared to not have heard him.

 

H-hyung, p-please. Please say something,” Jinho pleaded, hands slowly reaching over to Luhan's arm. The other boy flinched at the contact. “I know you have Se--”

 

Jinho,” Sehun interrupted, his tone harsh.

 

The reality of everything finally catching up to him.

 

Sehun moved forward, so that now he was just a foot away from the two. “What are you doing?”

 

Again, Jinho didn't hear him.

 

When Luhan told him, in a small voice, “Jinho, I'm so sorry,” Jinho looked beyond torn. “I'm sorry,” Luhan repeated. “I'm sor--”

 

Jinho stopped the older from saying anything else when he suddenly pulled the boy close to him, embracing him. “H-hyung.”

 

Sehun's eyes widen and his heart stopped beating as he watched Luhan turn stiff in Jinho's shaking arms.

 

Jinho,” Sehun said, finally mustering the energy to say the words he prayed he never had to say. “Let him go. Jinho, let Luhan go. Right now.”

 

Jinho didn't move.

 

In fact, it looked like he didn't want to let the older boy go. The held tears from before were now freely flowing down his cheekbones. All that could be heard from him were painful sobs of “Hyung. Luhan hyung.”

 

Sehun has had enough. “Jinho! Stop!” He made to grab ahold of Jinho's arm, ready to break the firm grasp the boy had on Luhan, when suddenly a bright light flashed, momentarily blinding him. Sehun shielded his face with his right arm. He should have been thinking about what was happening, but the only thing that came to mind was Luhan and whether he was okay. Did the light hit him too? Did he cover his eyes in time?

 

Seconds later, when he decided that it was safe to do so, Sehun opened his eyes and what he saw made him gasped. I'm definitely dreaming....

 

He was no longer in the room, and Luhan and Jinho were no longer in front of him. Where the hell am I????

 

Sehun looked around, his heart beating erratically as he tried to make sense of everything.

 

He was definitely not in the room he shared with Luhan, but rather somewhere outside – a familiar playground.

 

And in front of him, ten feet away, was a sandbox currently occupied. A small boy with his head down, silently digging into the sand with a plastic blue shovel.

 

Sehun!”

 

Sehun spun around. He knew that voice. It was Jinho's.

 

Sure enough Jinho came running towards him, but it wasn't the Jinho now – it was the seven year old Jinho.

 

Sehun!” Jinho called out, sprinting past the shocked (and invisible) Sehun on his way towards the sandbox. The small boy lifted his head up, and Whoa.

 

The little boy was Sehun.

 

Too stunned to say anything, Sehun watched as the scene unfolded.

 

Jinho,” the young Sehun said after he stopped digging up the sand.

 

Why didn't you come with us to try out Rok Soo's new scooter?” the young Jinho asked as he got in the sandbox, plopping down next to his friend.

 

Why would I? They don't want me there,” young Sehun sniffed, eyes noticeably avoiding Jinho's.

 

But I do.”

 

Why?”

 

Because I like playing with you.” Young Jinho grinned as he nudged his friend.

 

The small boy scoffed. “Yeah right.”

 

It's true.” Jinho raised his right hand. “I'm not lying.”

 

You're so strange, Jinho,” young Sehun mumbled, his hands mindlessly drawing circles in the sand.

 

You're strange too, Sehun,” the young boy retorted, kicking a little sand Sehun's way.

 

No, I'm not!” Sehun argued, finally turning around to face his friend, face flustered.

 

Jinho smiled. “Yes, you are. You're friends with me and since I'm strange, that means you're strange too.”

 

That doesn't make sense.”

 

Jinho giggled before wiggling his chubby finger in front of Sehun. “You need to pay attention in class more.” He poked Sehun's forehead.

 

The action, rather than upsetting the boy, seemed to have appeased the young Sehun because the corner of his lips twitched upwards – itching to smile.

 

How was the scooter? Was it fun?” Sehun asked, curiosity lacing his voice.

 

Jinho shrugged. “It was okay. Playing with your remote controlled helicopter was more fun.”

 

Seemingly pleased with the response, young Sehun smiled. He handed Jinho a plastic yellow shovel. “Dig.”

 

What are you looking for?” Jinho asked, not bothered by the fact that his friend had just demanded him to dig. (It was normal between them)

 

Treasure,” the young Sehun simply answered, picking up his own shovel, and began digging.

 

How do you know it's here?”

 

Sehun shrugged. “I don't, but it seems like a good place to hide a treasure chest doesn't it?”

 

Jinho contemplated this for a minute, eyes scanning the entire square area they were in, before he nodded. “You're right.”

 

Of course,” young Sehun said smugly, his attention focused on the difficult task at hand.

 

But what are we going to do once we find it?”

 

We'll split it. Half for you and half for me.”

 

You're sharing with me?”

 

Duhhh.”

 

But what if I don't want to share?”

 

Young Sehun stopped digging and looked at Jinho, a frown on his tiny face.

 

Jinho giggled. “I'm joking. I'll share it with you too, Sehun.”

 

Promise?” Young Sehun held out his pinky – evidently, he'd much rather have solid proof that Jinho was indeed going to share the treasure with him. “Give me your pinky.”

 

Jinho smiled before he dusted his hands on his jeans, quickly wrapping his pinky around Sehun's own. “Promise. I'll share everything with you.”

 

Satisfied with the answer, Sehun hummed.

 

Even my vegetables,” Jinho added with a toothy grin.

 

Young Sehun grimaced and stuck out his tongue. “No thanks!” The two boys laughed and Sehun couldn't stop himself from smiling at the sight.

 

They started digging again – Sehun was in charge of the center and Jinho had the corners.

 

But Sehun, I can't share my mom with you,” Jinho admitted.

 

That's okay because I can't share my mom with you either.”

 

Good. What about Chan Woo? You want to share him?”

 

Sehun shook his head.“No. You can have him. He talks too much.”

 

Jinho nodded. “Okay. What about Min Jung?”

 

Nope. He eats too much.”

 

Soo Ae?”

 

No way. She's annoying. Always touching my face.”

 

Ah. How about Won Hee? I heard his dad got him a new bike, so he has to give away his old bike. If we share him, we could both get the bike.”

 

Young Sehun doesn't say anything.

 

Sehun?”

 

With a small sigh, Sehun answered, “I don't like him. He told me I looked mean.”

 

Jinho stopped digging to look at the boy. “He did?”

 

Sehun slowly nodded. “He said I look like my dad because my mom looks nice and I don't.....But how does he know? Has he seen my dad before?..I don't even know what he looks like....”

 

He's just saying that to mess with you. I think you look nice. He's just jealous that your mom is prettier than his.”

 

Young Sehun grinned. “Mhm. She is! Oh and he also told me that when we grow up, no one would want to marry me.”

 

Well, he's ugly,” Jinho loudly exclaimed, causing both Sehuns to laugh.

 

Thanks,” young Sehun said, smiling at his friend.

 

You're welcome!”

 

Jinho.”

 

Yeah?”

 

Are you always going to be my friend?”

 

Of course.”

 

Even if the other kids tell you not to because I'm weird?”

 

I like weird.”

 

Does anybody else like weird?”

 

Huh?”

 

What if you're the only person who likes me? Besides my mom.”

 

Jinho placed his shovel on the sand mound he had created at one of the corners. “I think other kids like weird too. You just haven't found them yet.”

 

What if there's no one?”

 

There will be someone.”

 

How do you know?”

 

Because after my mom finished watching some show that made her cry, she told me that everyone has someone. No one is alone. Someone will come and that person will like you, Sehun.”

 

Really?”

 

Yup. And my mom said that person will take your heart.”

 

Sehun's eyes widen. “Take my heart?!?! Why?!”

 

To give you their heart in return.”

 

Confused, young Sehun knitted his brows together. “Isn't that a lot of work? Can't we keep our own hearts?”

 

Jinho shook his head. “It's better that way. My mom said she was very happy when she gave her heart to my dad.”

 

Sehun sat there quietly for a second, pondering over what Jinho had told him. “Is it going to hurt?”

 

Uhhhh. She told me that it hurts sometimes, but you'll be happy in the end.”

 

For how long?”

 

If you give your heart to the right person – forever.”

 

Wow. That's a really long time.”

 

Yup.”

 

Hey Jinho, if I find my someone first and I'm happy forever, I'm going to share it with you.”

 

Really?”

 

Sehun nodded, face looking determined. “You're my best friend and if I'm happy, you should be too!”

 

Yeah! We're going to be happy together!”

 

Sehun and Jinho picked up their shovels and tapped it together – brilliant smiles radiating from their innocent faces.

 

But Jinho....What if we give our hearts to the same person?”

 

The older Sehun could feel his heartstrings being pulled. What if we give our hearts to the same person?

 

Jinho raised his brow.“How would that work? A person can't have two hearts.”

 

Ummm...We can take turns! I'll give the person my heart on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. And you'll give it Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.”

 

What about Sunday?”

 

We'll just keep our own hearts on that day.”

 

Jinho smiled. “Sounds good....But what if the person only wants to give their heart to one of us?”

 

Sehun held his breath. He knew what the young Sehun was going to say, but that fact didn't calm his heart because --

 

Okay then, I'll let you have it,” young Sehun said without hesitation.

 

You're not going to be sad?”

 

Nope. If you're happy, I am too.”

 

Wow. You're the best!”

 

Small Sehun giggled. “Duh.”

 

The last thing Sehun saw before everything went dark was the two of them continuing their digging with huge smiles on their faces. If Sehun remembered correctly, they didn't find any treasure that day. The sandbox was completely void of anything worth digging for, but it didn't matter. The two of them walked home satisfied with their effort – happy with the promises made.

 

Sehun opened his eyes and now instead of outdoors, he's standing at the bottom of a white staircase. He took a quick look around, taking note of the modern furniture in the living room and the teal colored walls. Where is this place?

 

He entered the kitchen, which wasn't big nor small. It was the perfect size. Cozy.

 

From the kitchen window, he could see the backyard. There was a pool with a slide, a gazebo located on the side, and plenty of space for just about anything. His eyes caught sight of the tent pitched in the middle of the yard. Who lives here?

 

Sehun was about to leave the room when his eyes came into contact with the stainless steel fridge – or rather what was on it. Heart-shaped sticky notes.

 

Sehun inched closer to the fridge and read one of the notes.

 

I know you're busy, but don't forget to eat dinner! And wash the dishes too! Got it?

I love you :)

 

Sehun recognized the handwriting. He has seen many notes written in the exact same handwriting.

 

Slowly making his way upstairs, Sehun could feel his heart beating faster as he arrived at the top of the stairs – his eyes automatically landing on the big double doors right down the middle of the hallway. He had a feeling this was the room he was supposed to enter.

 

Holding his breath, Sehun turned the knob.

 

Warmth immediately embraced him. This room was especially bright – the rays coming from the sun that shone through the glass window. One side of the room was entirely made of glass with a subtle sliding door that led to the beautiful balcony. Like the living room, the room was spacious and decorated with modern furniture – all white.

 

The room gave off a comfortable vibe. Homey.

 

And then Sehun saw him.

 

Luhan lying in bed with the white covers thrown to the side, his entire body sprawled out on the bed – peacefully asleep. A smile automatically made its way across his face. Sehun knew this was one of those dreams that often left him smiling in his sleep.

 

Sehun walked up to the bed, and sat down next to the sleeping boy.

 

He noticed that Luhan looked a little older, but not by much. His hair wasn't a honey brown color anymore, it was more of a golden blonde. It was shorter too, though Luhan's infamous bangs were still covering his closed eyelids.

 

When Sehun's eyes spotted the gold band on Luhan's ring finger, a lump suddenly formed in his throat. He's married?

 

He looked down at his own hand, and his heart gleefully skipped a beat. Sehun also had a ring on his finger – one that matched Luhan's.

 

We're married? He looked back at Luhan's sleeping face. We're married. Without really knowing, Sehun grinned. The idea of them being married made him happier than he thought possible.

 

So he did something that always made him happier – he leaned down and kissed Luhan. With one hand brushing the bangs off of Luhan's forehead, Sehun gently kissed his way down from the boy's temple. When he finally got to Luhan's lips, he took his time. Smiling into the kiss as he kept their lips connected. It was a sweet kiss – befitting of a sweet dream.

 

Mmmm.”

 

Morning,” Sehun said, taking in the sight of his lover waking up. It was simply breathtaking.

 

Mmmm,” Luhan moaned, eyes still closed.

 

Sehun chuckled. “I already kissed you, so you should be getting up now.”

 

I don't want to,” Luhan replied, squeezing his eyes closed. I guess some things never change.

 

Sehun got on top of him, his whole body leaning over Luhan's own. “Well, you leave me no choice....”

 

Luhan opened his eyes, ready to say something, when he was cut off by Sehun's lips. At first it was Sehun who was doing most of the work, kissing and nibbling Luhan, but after a while, Luhan, apparently energized, wrapped his arms tightly around Sehun's neck and pulled him closer. Their legs tangling with each other.

 

Sehun decided that he was definitely blessed.

 

Blessed to have his lips tracing every contours of this sweet tasting expanse of skin.

 

Blessed to have this beautiful, flawless human being underneath him, craving him just as much as he craved him.

 

But in the blink of an eye, the dream took a dark turn.

 

Ahhhh,” Luhan moaned when Sehun started on his collarbone. “Jinho-ahh.”

 

The ecstasy Sehun had felt a few seconds ago quickly disappeared, to be replaced with shock and utter horror.

 

No.

 

Jinho-ah?”

 

No.

 

With his lips centimeters away from the spot he was happily pouring his affections onto, Sehun froze. He couldn't feel anything. Not the warmth of Luhan's body. Not the beating of his heart – which he was sure had fallen and cracked somewhere.

 

Jinho-ah? Is something wrong? Why did you stop?” Luhan asked, wiggling underneath him, trying to get a better look at Sehun's face. His terror stricken face.

 

No.

 

What's the matter? Look at me,” Luhan demanded, his hands cupping Sehun's face.

 

Sehun swallowed and looked up. He stared into Luhan's sparkling doe eyes, fearing the worst, and he surely wasn't disappointed.

 

The nightmare was relentless.

 

In Luhan's glossy eyes, Sehun could see his reflection.

 

But it wasn't him he was looking at.

 

It wasn't Sehun that Luhan was seeing.

 

Sehun abruptly sat up, sweat trickling down the side of his face, his palms completely covered in sweat. Sehun was starting to suffocate. No. This can't be happening.

 

Luhan sat up, his face wrinkled in worry. “Jinho-ah? Sweetie, are you okay?”

 

No. No. NO!

 

Sehun stood up, and took a step away from the bed. He wanted nothing more than to tuck himself into the fetal position, and pray that this would end soon. He stared at Luhan, eyes wide, hopelessness overwhelming him. And then something shiny makes it into his peripheral vision. Sehun slowly turned his head and there on the nightstand was a gold photo frame.

 

A wedding photo.

 

Luhan was dressed in a white tuxedo, looking absolutely stunning. Happiness overflowing from his flawless face. He was glowing.

 

And next to him was Jinho, dressed in a crisp black tuxedo. Unlike Luhan, who was looking right at the camera, Jinho had his eyes on Luhan. The love coming forth from Jinho's eyes as he gazed at Luhan's beaming face was blazing.

 

Sehun could feel himself being scorched by the intensity of it all.

 

There was no mistaking the love.

 

Sehun had no idea how he was even breathing. He only realized that Luhan was still there when the boy placed his hand on Sehun's arm.

 

Jinho?”

 

And Sehun just wants to scream...


 

Sehun-ah!”

 

Sehun jerked upright. His eyes snapped open and he swallowed, trying his best to get his breathing back to normal. He was back in the room at the resort. The time on the clock reads 5 A.M. And the room wasn't so dark for the sun was slowly rising.

 

Suddenly he heard someone shuffling beside him. “Sehun-ah?”

 

To say that he was relieved to hear Luhan's voice saying his name is a complete understatement.

 

Sehun-ah, did you have a bad dream? Do you want to drink some water?” Luhan threw the covers back, but before he could move, Sehun grabbed his hand.

 

I'm fine. Don't go,” Sehun said, eyes avoiding Luhan's own.

 

Oh. Okay.”

 

Sehun laid back down. His breathing was slowly going back to normal. When his heart had finally calmed down, he turned his head to the side.

 

He was met with curious eyes.

 

You okay?” Luhan asked, his eyes inspecting Sehun's face. “Are you cold? Should I go get you a shirt?”

 

Yeah. I'm okay now.”

 

Luhan scooted closer to him. “Y-you want to talk about it?” Luhan bit his lower lip, probably nervous that Sehun might not like the idea of discussing his nightmare with him. He wasn't wrong about that.

 

No. I don't.”

 

That's fine too,” Luhan murmured, wrapping his arm around Sehun's bare torso. “But I'm here if you want to talk about it...”

 

D-did I say anything? In my sleep?”

 

You just kept mumbling no, no, no.”

 

Sehun sighed. “Oh.”

 

Yeah.”

 

I'm sorry about waking you up.”

 

No, it's fine,” Luhan said.“This is the first time you've actually had a nightmare since we've been together. As your boyfriend, I'm going to do my best to comfort you!”

 

That was why Luhan started cuddling Sehun, gently kissing him in between whispers of “Sehun-ah.”

 

It felt right to hear his name coming out of Luhan's mouth.

 

Eventually, Luhan got tired and started yawning. Sehun, noticing this, ran his fingers through his boyfriend's hair – something that would almost always help the boy fall asleep faster.

 

When it was almost 6, Luhan started drifting off. His head rested at the usual spot in the crook of Sehun's neck.

 

Sehun-ah,” the older boy mumbled.

 

Hm?”

 

I love you.”

 

And Sehun knew that his boyfriend had already fallen asleep, but nonetheless he pulled the blanket up to cover both of them. He planted a soft kiss on Luhan's forehead.

 

I love you too,” he whispered, fingers slightly brushing Luhan's cheeks. His heart instantly fluttering at the feel of Luhan against his fingertips. 

 

Jinho. Please no. Not Luhan.

 

He brought Luhan closer to him so that now there was no space in between them. 

 

Don't fall for him.

 

Sehun placed the side of his face on top of Luhan's head.

 

I can't share him.

 

As Luhan snuggled him, Sehun could feel the older boy's heart beating against his chest. The steady rhythm soothed Sehun like it always did. He loved being able to feel the rise and fall of Luhan's chest against his own. He loved how every now and then, it matched his.

 

I can't give him to you.

 

Sehun kissed the top of Luhan's head and closed his eyes.

 

I won't....

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~ O.M.G. WHAT A CHAPTER! First off, I'm sorry for once again taking so long to update. School is crazy, but it comes first. Secondly, I hope you guys enjoy the chapter...I know I got most of you! Hahaha. It was just a dream. Jinho didn't really confess!

 

The chapter was interesting to say the least. I gave you a glimpse of Sehun and Jinho's friendship. Wasn't it cute?!?!?! The way they promised each other and how they misunderstood the whole heart giving thing. Lol. I thought it was super cute when Sehun said they can take turns. Bwahahaha. Yeah right. And then the last dream (nightmare really) was very OMGGGGGGG. That's horrible! Dreaming that Lulu is married to Jinho :( Poor Sehunnie! 

 

I want to say HEYYY to my new readers :) Thanks for reading and subscribing!

 

Oh yeah, I will try my best to give you guys a double update this weekend. I want to write a Valentine's chapter for the 3 couples (I know I'm late, but hey better late than never!). So the plan is to write Jinho's side of the night and then Sulay and Baekyeol's Valentine's Day celebration (which will be one whole chapter). And Hunhan will get their own chapter. How does that sound? Let me know how you felt about the chapter! I love reading the comments! :D