Encouragement

The Dull One

"Umma let me help you with the dishes." Jaekyung offered as she stepped into the kitchen. Her father was sitting on the couch watching tv while Chaekyung had gone up to her room to use the computer.

Mrs Lee smiled. "It's really okay, Jaekyung. Just go and do your homework or something I'm sure you've got lots to do."

"It's okay." Jaekyung took the wet dishes from her mother's hands and grabbed a towel to dry it. Mrs Lee smiled at her daughter's thoughtfulness and the two of them worked in perfect synchronization in a few moments of silence.

Jaekyung thought about the Kim Myungsoo she had met and a scowl naturally came to her face.

He came in without notifying anything before hand and now he was the teacher's pet. Jaekyung couldn't risk the Newsletter Editor position which was currently empty. And she sensed that L would be a competitor, judging from how the teacher adored him.

He was sitting beside that Lee Kikwang. Jaekyung was okay with Kikwang, he was a nice guy and didn't like some of the boys from her class, but he didn't exactly put a lot of effort in his work either.

Jaekyung always had to scan through his work twice to pick out the mistakes here and there before it could be printed. Kikwang had the ability to write something good, he just wasn't bothered.

But apparently Kikwang had bad mouthed her quite a bit judging from how that Kim Myungsoo was frowning at her in a judgmental way few moments later.

*A guy from a rich family that uses connections and is easily influenced.* Jaekyung thought. *So what if he's good looking?*

"Hey." Mrs Lee mused. "Jaekyung you were zoning out."

Jaekyung blinked and shook her head. "Just thinking." she mumbled. "There's this new guy in my class and he joined the newsletter committee. Aish."

Mrs Lee laughed. "I'm guessing you don't have a good impression of him already?" she chuckled amused.

"Well for starters he's insanely popular on the first day he arrived." Jaekyung frowned. "You know how I feel about popular people, umma, except Chae. And not only that he's the principal's son so he's already in the teacher's favor in the committee." she huffed.

She turned to look at her mother. "And I'm guessing he's pretty quick to judge as well. I saw him shooting me accusing looks in the middle of the meeting just because I asked teacher Jung if his writing skills were tested or not."

"In conclusion," Jaekyung crossed her arms. "I don't like him."

Mrs Lee shook her head as she laughed heartily. "But Jaekyung aren't you quick to judge as well?" she mused. "This guy's barely been there for a few days and you've already concluded on his character."

Jaekyung pouted and adjusted her glasses. "Well I don't see how he can have a morally right explanation for all these."

"He doesn't have a choice if people like him and much more of whose family he is to be born in." Mrs Lee reminded. "And remember, both you and he are guilty of judging."

At Jaekyung's grimace, Mrs Lee let out a chuckle. "Well who knows, maybe you'll find yourself falling in love with him someday."







"Unnie can I meet you at the roof top later during break? I have to borrow some cash."

Jaekyung blinked and put her phone away. She dug her wallet and found twenty thousand won of allowance which she had initially planned on purchasing a book.

She sighed softly and put away five thousand won for the bus trip home before pocketing the other fifteen thousand won in her pocket.

She waited till the bell rang, signaling the start of their break, and she slipped out of the door unnoticed. No one even saw her going out.

Except L.

He didn't know why he did. He had no idea why he looked at that direction just at that moment and he saw her slipping out of the class clutching her phone.

His mind was about to wonder where she was going to when Sungyeol interrupted his train of thoughts and told him new information on their favorite soccer team.

He instantly forgot about her just like everyone else around him, about the wallflower, about Jaekyung.

But it still remained a fact that he has vaguely thought about her when no one did.

Jaekyung on the other hand had arrived at the rooftop and she clutched the fifteen thousand won in her hands. She did mental calculations and arrived at the conclusion that she would need another week to save enough for the book she wanted.

Did she think to deny her sister? Never.

Chaekyung arrived a little while later with a bright smile. "Unnie!" she beamed.

Jaekyung looked around worriedly and hushed her. "Don't talk so loudly! What if someone hears?" she whispered worriedly.

Chaekyung pouted and hugged her sister's arm. "Aww unnie, you are my sister so why be afraid to show it?" she asked. "Are you feeling shame because of me?" she sulked.

"No way." Jaekyung chuckled and patted Chaekyung's head. It was quite the opposite.

"Here." Jaekyung opened Chaekyung's palm and put the notes in her sister's hand. "Why did you want the money for away?"

Chaekyung pocketed the money with a bright smile. "Ah," she grinned sheepishly. "Yoomi's going out with Woohyun after school so Bomi and Soomi wants to go shopping while Yoomi's away. You know how Yoomi hates shopping." she chirped. "And I kinda want to buy a new dress."

Jaekyung didn't say anything about the wardrobe of nice clothes Chaekyung already had and she just nodded. "Okay. Have fun later okay?" she smiled. "I'll go back to class first. Remember to leave a little while after me so no one knows we met-"

"Arraso unnie." Chaekyung laughed. "I know. Go on then, and thanks for the cash!" she waved the notes in the air.

Jaekyung shook her head in amusement as Chaekyung danced around happily and she strode back to class to have her bento in the corner of the class as she usually did.

As she walked back, an unexpected figure approached her direction from the other end. L.

He didn't seem to notice her at first and Jaekyung wondered if she should say hi. They were classmates after all right?

The words reached her tongue and she was already opening to address him when she faltered.

What made her think that he would even remember who she was? No one ever did so what made this Kim Myungsoo different?

Jaekyung quickly averted her eyes and strode forward quickly, inwardly cursing herself for getting soft.

L noticed her at that instant and he had no idea why he actually opened his mouth to say hi. She walked past without looking at him once, disappearing around the corner.

L gaped at her and shrugged, frowning. "Rude." he muttered.

He continued his way to the restroom when another figure approached him. The girl smiled brightly when she saw him and nearly hopped towards him. "Hi L oppa!" Chaekyung smiled shyly.

L nodded and scratched his head. What was her name again? Damn he really needed some memory aid pills or something.

"My name's Chaekyung." the girl offered. "I hope I can call you oppa?" she asked unsurely.

L nodded. "It's okay." he smiled awkwardly and cleared his throat when the silence stretched for a bit too long for comfort.

"Uhm," Chaekyung gazed at the floor. "I was hoping that we can be friends, L oppa?" she squeaked shyly. "Please?"

L looked at her closely and saw she was really quite pretty indeed like his friends had said.

"No problem." L nodded. "We can be friends."

Chaekyung brightened and beamed at him. "Thank you L oppa!" she grinned. "I uh..." she blushed when she realized her outburst. "I'll be going back to class. Bye!" she ran off. No correction, hopped off.

L shrugged and turned to go when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He saw Dongwoo grinning at him. "I saw that, dude."

L raised his brows. What, he saw him being ignored by Lee Jaekyung as she walked past him?

"I saw the little interaction between you and that Chaekyunggieeeee~~" Dongwoo wriggled his brows. "Heheh cute aye? There's a reason why half the population of males here have a crush on her."

"Oh." L nodded in understanding at what his hyung was talking about. "Hah so hyung likes her too?" he chuckled.

"Nah." Dongwoo shook his head. "I don't like such chirpy types." he stopped in his tracks and looked at L.

"But seriously L, if you have some interest towards Chaekyung, I really encourage you to woo her." Dongwoo said seriously. "I mean, you haven't had a girlfriend before and you're already 18! What is this!"

Before L could retort, Dongwoo continued.

"We'll all be encouraging you, L." Dongwoo grinned. "Fighting!!"