Declined

The Dull One

"Hey good job dude!" Sunggyu patted L's shoulder. "The fundraiser was such a success. It even appeared on the news!"

L grinned, pleased. He glanced at Jaekyung, knowing that Sunggyu had talked loud enough for her to hear as well. She looked up from her book briefly and sent him a small smile.

L chuckled softly.

"Yeah I saw it too!" Sungyeol leaned over. "Man I was eating my dinner when your face suddenly appeared on my huge 50 inch LCD tv and I spat everything on my brother's face hahaha!!!"

"Poor Daeyeol." Hoya shook his head in amusement.

L shot Sungyeol a look and made a face. "What's wrong with my face?" he huffed.

Sungyeol tapped his chin. "Nothing really. Hmm let me see just what's wrong with your face..." he circled around L a few times. The other Infinite members too listened on too, interested in Sungyeol's "diagnosis."

Even Jaekyung found herself leaning forwards a little while pretending to read her book.

Sungyeol turned around L for a long long time, pretending to analyze the face of Infinite. "Come on, hurry." Dongwoo tapped his feet. "I want to know!"

Sungyeol grinned and looked at L. "You're looking quite fine actually. But that's all human standards." he clicked his tongue disapprovingly. "You're still nothing close to purrrfection." He straightened his imaginary moustache and winked.

"Purrrrrfection?" Sungjong asked curiously. "Then can you tell me just who's the one with purrrfection then?"

"Who else?" Sungyeol gestured to himself. "Me."

"MEH!" The Infinite boys rolled their eyes and turned away to do their own things. Sungyeol pouted at their lack of interest and huffed cutely. "What? Don't I look perfect?"

"YES SUNGYEOL OPPA!!!" The fangirls cooed.

Sungyeol backed away, stunned. "Uh....maybe being ordinary is good." he slipped to his own chair and buried his face in a book.

Jaekyung laughed silently to herself at the exchange, amused. L heard her and peeked from the corner of his eye. He smiled, glad she was joining in even though she wasn't. If that made sense, of course.

He was about to reach for a book in his bag when a voice rang out from the back of the class.

"Hey Lee Jaekyung!" someone spat.

L turned around, raising his brows.

Kim Junki was standing in front of Jaekyung's desk again and Jaekyung looked absolutely annoyed and disappointed he didn't look past her that day. Jaekyung sighed softly before pushing her glasses up her nose, raising her eyes to look at him. "Yes, Kim Junki sshi?" she spoke softly but crisply.

"Why were you laughing to yourself?" Kim Junki asked, interested. He leaned nearer and "whispered" loudly in a way that was meant for everyone to hear. "Why, took an extra dose of drugs today morning?"

Jaekyung flinched, looking down at her book. She had a good idea where those rumors of hers had originated from, now.

Some of the other people who had been listening on laughed at what Kim Junki said. That made other people look over, gaining more attention.

And people like Kim Junki thrived under attention. Junki smirked when he heard people laughing and that made him swell, focusing more on Jaekyung and his poison tongue.

"Yah Lee Jaekyung," Kim Junki hopped on her desk and sat on her book. Jaekyung gasped, horrified and tried to pull the book from his . "Kim Junki sshi can't you please-"

"Well well well are you fawning over my now?" Junki smirked. "I know, I have a y . Huh, ladies?" he winked at the girls in class.

Jaekyung looked absolutely annoyed but she hid her face from the rest of her class with her hair, not wanting to attracting anymore attention. She eyed the book under Kim Junki's , inwardly cursing him from head to toe. It was her favorite book damn it!

L frowned at the scene, knowing just how well Jaekyung was protective over her things, especially her books. "That guy's a damn bastard." he muttered under his breath.

"I know." Hoya murmured. "But don't do anything unless you really have to." he warned. "You're the principal's son, better not cause any trouble."

L nodded, but he didn't feel comfortable just sitting there and watching as Jaekyung was pestered by a guy like that. He knew now that the rumors about her weren't true, he couldn't imagine if they were. And the Infinite boys were having second doubts about their initial judgement of Jaekyung.

And that was why it was even more incorrect for him to stand by to watch.

"Just wondering, Lee Jaekyung." Kim Junki snickered. "Where do you get your clothes? They definitely aren't from your mother's wardrobe. The fashion is too outdated for that."

Laughter burst from everyone and some guys even slapped their thighs were guffawing, sending thumbs up to Junki that spurred him on. Jaekyung lowered her head, tugging on her thick woolen jumper that didn't fit her, biting her lips uncomfortably.

She began singing that song again in her mind. *Someday, I'll be, living in a big old city, and all you're ever gonna be is mean.* she took deep breaths, calming herself.

"Maybe from your grandmother?" Kim Junki continued. "Now that's more probable. Maybe the things she wore when she was a teenager huh?" he snickered. "Didn't know your family was as poor as that, Lee Jaekyung."

L clenched his fists, pissed. "Damn, that guy's too much even for his standards." Woohyun muttered under his breath. "Why does he like to target Jaekyung so much?"

"Why haven't you uttered a word, Lee Jaekyung?" Kim Junki smirked at her tauntingly. "I hit the bull's eye didn't I huh? Why, did you think you're all that great now that you've managed to hold such a successful fundraising event? It's luck, I tell you."

L sprang up from his seat without him knowing. He knew just how much Jaekyung had worked for that event, nothing to do with freaking mere luck.

He strode towards Kim Junki angrily and Jaekyung squeaked, seeing him approach. Kim Junki had no idea since his back was turned.

"Don't!" Jaekyung shook her head at L, frowning.

No one had noticed L's movements since everyone had been focused on Jaekyung and Junki. L stopped moving, staring at her in confusion. Jaekyung shook her head at him, gesturing at him under the table for him to back away.

Sungyeol pulled L back to his seat. "I think she's asking you not to do anything." he whispered.

"But-" L furrowed his brows.

"Hear her out later." Sunggyu muttered. "She's a big girl. She can handle this herself."

And the way she handled this was just waiting for Kim Junki to get bored with the lack of response he was getting from her. "You're not fun, Lee Jaekyung. Hardly a word." Kim Junki finally said when not a lot of people were left looking.

He snickered at her one last time before striding off like he owned the world.

Jaekyung let out a sigh of relief, wiping her book that he had sat on. *Bastard.* she pouted, blowing the dust away.

She felt someone looking at her and lifted her gaze, meeting L's. "We need to talk." he mouthed. Jaekyung sighed and nodded once, darting her eyes down again in case anyone caught the exchange.

She had some explaining to do.

 

 

 

"Why didn't you want me to help just now?" L demanded. "That bastard was practically bad mouthing you from head to toe, from you to your ancestors, from your sense of style to moral character!"

Jaekyung bit her lip, fiddling with her fingers. "I'm used to it."

"Used to it?" Hoya gasped horrified.

"We're sorry for having misconceptions about your character in the past, Jaekyung." Sunggyu sighed. "But L's right. We should help you. If Infinite has got your back you have nothing to fear, especially a measly Kim Junki."

Jaekyung hung her head. She knew.

She knew extremely well that if Infinite claimed to help her and they really did, no one would dare to offend or criticise her. At least not in front of her.

But she couldn't.

"I can't." Jaekyung murmured. "I don't want to attract attention to myself. If anyone just knew how you guys even talk to me, I can't be a wallflower."

"I WANT to be a wallflower, do you get it?" Jaekyung sighed.

L looked at her strangely. "You...want."

"That is hell of a strange thinking you got there." Dongwoo blurted. "Who wants to be a wallflower. I mean I understand if you don't want to attract too much attention, but everyone wants a little attention here and there. Why would you want everyone to ignore you?"

"I have my reasons." Jaekyung looked at them earnestly. "And I'm really grateful for the thought. But please guys...just let me solve this myself okay?"

L struggled to speak, unable to form the two alphabets in his mouth.

"Okay." Sunggyu answered for him. "We respect your decision, Jaekyung."

Jaekyung smiled softly. "Thank you." She looked around cautiously. "Then I'll go now. Don't come out from this classroom until much later okay? I don't want anyone to know I even talked to you guys. Thanks!"

She darted out.

"Wow." Woohyun muttered. "If I didn't know better, I'd think she really hates us."