IAKA

The Dull One

A few days passed where L pretended Jaekyung didn't exist and so did she. When their eyes met in class, they pretended that they didn't see each other and averted their gaze.

Jaekyung was really trying to pretend as if L wasn't Chaekyung's. boyfriend. And L was trying to forget this girl was the sister of his girlfriend.

L would send Chaekyung home everyday for this usual "boyfriend duties". He still hadn't gone on a date with her after they had gotten together but she didn't seem to mind with the minimal time they spent together.

L would take some time to guide her in her work but he secretly thought it wasn't necessary. Why would Chaekyung need his help for school work when she had a braniac for a sister?

But he continued to do so because the Infinite boys said it was nice and sweet of him and Chaekyung seemed to think so.

And so the days dragged on till Saturday. Chaekyung was lazing on the couch in the living room while Jaekyung was the one getting ready to go out.

By going out I meant pulling on an oversized pullover, jeans, and tucking her hair in that messy bun again.

It was really strange indeed, since Chaekyung was usually the one with the activities and Jaekyung would be the one staying at home.

Jaekyung went to sit down by her sister after she got all her stuff and looked at her. Chaekyung raised her brows, momentarily disturbed from her tv program.

"You're okay with it?" Jaekyung asked hesitantly.

Chaekyung let out a giggle. "Of course I'm alright. I'm glad you two are doing this, in fact." she sat up and held her sister's hand. "In fact I want the both of you to get along well. I really hope you do."

Jaekyung smiled, comforted. "The best I can get with that guy is civil conversation, trust me." she snorted. "And even that seems like a long term goal right now."

Chaekyung smiled and shook her ea. "Whatever. As long as you and him can get along someday, I don't want my sister and my boyfriend to be logger heads with one another."

The doorbell rang at that instant and Mrs Lee poked her head out of the kitchen. "He's here?"

She quickly dried her hands on her apron and darted to the door before any of her daughters could move a muscle. She flung the door opened and startled the very shocked L standing outside.

She mused inwardly, thinking how strange it was that the first time her younger daughter's boyfriend met her, he was here to pick up her elder daughter instead.

"Uh.." L swallowed. "Mrs Lee?"

"Call me Omonim! It's fine!" Mrs Lee smiled cheerfully. Chaekyung pulled her mother away from the view and she pinked at the sight of L. He looked just so handsome even in his casual shirt and slacks. He didn't look like he spent a lot of time accessorizing, but he always looked breathtakingly good-looking.

"Hi L oppa." she beamed.

L smiled back. "Hey." his eyes searched behind them and saw the top of a messy bun head from over Mrs Lee shoulder. "Uh I have to pick Lee Jaekyung up for-"

"Yeah I know." Chaekyung nodded. She pushed her sister forward and Jaekyung pouted, shooting L a look that told him exactly how she felt about spending time with him.

L rubbed the back of his head. "Uh this is awkward." he muttered. "Uh so since she's ready, we'll be going?"

Chaekyung and Mrs Lee nodded, waving. "Go on!" Chaekyung waved. "Send her back in a piece and don't fight with each other!"

Jaekyung huffed at her sister, having a good mind to tell her that she could indeed have a nice civil conversation as much as she disliked the guy, when L dragged her to the car. "We'll never leave if you don't shut your mouth." he whispered. "Do me a favor, it's as awkward as it is."

Jaekyung sighed and nodded, darting into the luxury car. L smiled once more at his girlfriend and her mother before he plopped into the driver's seat and drove off.

Jaekyung shuffled her papers and bit her lip. "Did you even bother to read about this organization we're going to, Kim Myungsoo?"

L shot her an incredulous look. "Of course I did. Who do you think I am?" he snorted. "IAKA right? International Aid for Korean Animals. I know."

Jaekyung pursed her lips. "Well good. I'll be asking most of the questions and you can take notes. Don't provoke the director there, she doesn't really like guys."

L scratched his head, vaguely wondering how she could know that and opening his mouth to ask when Jaekyung shrieked. "Mr Kim Myungsoo please put both your hands on the steering wheel while driving please!"

L laughed and looked at her. "Why, scared?" he lifted both his hands since they were along the straight part of the road.

"KIM MYUNGSOO!"







The two of them reached the IAKA centre, which wasn't very large of refined looking. However L had second thoughts of his first impression of the place when he saw the smiling receptionist at the desk.

"Hey Jaekyung!" the girl grinned. "You've come again! A little earlier this week?"

L blinked in surprise and his eyes darted to Jaekyung. She ignored his questioning looks and smiled back. "Yeah, I'm here to do an interview with Director Shin. She accepted the interview so can we go in?"

"Sure." The girl smiled. "I'll tell her so wait a moment."

When she returned later, she escorted both Jaekyung and L to the director's office. It was a little on the shabby side and there was a slight stench in the room with the number of animals that passed this place.

"Director shin!" Jaekyung beamed. The woman whirled around in her seat and smiled as widely. "You're here! My best volunteer ever."

L watched on curiously. He had caught on fast enough to know that Jaekyung appeared to volunteer there every weekend. *I just didn't expect that.* he watched her silently.

The two females laughed and talked for a while before Director Shin finally noticed L. "Omo im sorry! I can't believe I missed you!" she chuckled. She elbowed Jaekyung.

"Fine man you've got right here." she teased. "I told you you'd be able to find someone who loves you for who you are unlike-"

"Director." Jaekyung cut off. "He's not my boyfriend. He's a student in the newsletter committee, a classmate of mine. He's currently dating Chaekyung."

"Oh." Director Shin looked surprised and embarrassed. "Mianhae."

L shook his head. "It's okay. I'm Kim Myungsoo. You can call me L." he offered a handshake. "Nice to meet you."

"Same." Director Shin chirped. L vaguely wondered how a woman of her age had that much energy. "Although I'd say I'd like you better if you were Jaekyung's boyfriend instead of Chaekyung-"

"Director!"

"-goodness knows how much this stupid girl has sacrificed for her sister to date." Director Shin continued easily. She smiled. "But since it's your first time, I'll tour you around before the interview? You guys can take some pictures of the animals too."

"Yep." Jaekyung produced a camera from her bag and L scratched his head. He hadn't even thought of that.

They followed Director Shin as she introduced several breeds of dogs and cats they had there, of which all of them were abandoned by their owners at some point in their lives.

"Remember, don't feed them just anything okay?" Jaekyung hissed. "Especially chocolate. If I see you go anyway near the cages with a bar of chocolate like a kid I caught the last time, I'll-"

"I know." L chuckled in amusement. "I had a dog before you know. Golden retriever."

Jaekyung's eyes rounded in interest. "Really? How old is he?"

"Had is the point here, Lee Jaekyung." L shrugged, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "He died when I was ten. Of old age, no illness, nonetheless gone."

"I'm sorry." Jaekyung blurted. L raised his brows at her and pretended to press something on his arm. She blinked at him in confusion.

"That's it." L nodded. "Had it recorded down in my memory. The Lee Jaekyung apologizing to me." he grinned.

Jaekyung scoffed and punched his arm hard. "And better remember Lee Jaekyung may be a wallflower but she has nothing against violence towards Kim Myungsoo."

She stalked away, leaving L with a very amused smile on his face. "That girl can throw a punch." he muttered, massaging his arm.

-----

Director Shin had to leave them at some point to tend to another visitor to IAKA and left the two together to bath an injured kitten.

She wouldn't have just let anyone do it, but since it was Lee Jaekyung, the kitten was definitely in safe hands.

The kitten hurt his paw and had it wrapped in a large bandage that they couldn't afford to wet since it might cause infections. Jaekyung picked up the kitten gently and set it in a bowl of shallow water, holding onto the bandaged paw above the water.

"Kim Myungsoo, help me hold it's paw." she told him.

L wouldn't have taken orders from anyone so easily, but at that point he was just entranced by the way she handled a small animal. With absolute care and tenderness, as if she would hurt more if the animal got hurt.

L took the paw and held it in place, not too strongly. He watched as Jaekyung lathered her hands with the special soap and gently rubbed the kitten's tummy.

The kitten let out a soft meow that L was sure would have translated into a moan in human language.

She slowly rubbed behind the ears of the kitten and the kitten let out another long meow.

"Like it, Fluffy?" Jaekyung murmured, calling the kitten's given name.

L smiled unconsciously. "I think she likes it." he mumbled.

Jaekyung smiled and nodded, continuing with the gentle treatment. L watched for a while more before he let his eyes trail up those slender arms of hers to her face.

He watched the contented smile as she bathed the kitten, the absolute serene and peace.

He smiled. *Maybe I was wrong. You're not too bad to be around with, Lee Jaekyung.*

 

 

-----

To make it clear to Chae haters, she DID NOT lie to L that she fed the kittens. She DID NOT say she liked kittens. 

I realise the mind is a very persuasive thing when one believes in something. 

There are comments about how Chaekyung is taking advantage of Jaekyung, she's evil, selfish yada yada...

Okay the thing is, it isn't called "taking advantage" when she doesn't know what is happening. If Jae sacrifices for Chae and the latter doesn't know, can you call it taking advantage?

This fic is the one that I get most comments where they ask ignorant questions, most of the times abt Chae. When I tell them to read previous chaps, they finally get it. 

So please read carefully, I make links between chapters. Or at least, read the other comments for answers. That would be a GREAT help for me. 

Another thing, a lot of people are saying and asking for Jaesoo to fall in love but...they were just hating each other and recently reached a truce. Love all of a sudden? That's not love, that's acting. 

I want you guys to know that I don't rush things, the beauty of love is sometimes the process of falling. 

This fic is going to have 70 chapters, I have the one liner plans for each of the future chapters typed out for easier updating in the future. 

Itll take time to fall in love, kids. :)